Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] WildStar: Dig In & Explore Nexus, Cupcake

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I agree with quite a bit of this review, but would like to add that the bugs are pretty much worse than described from my experience. I had quite a few broken quests and the classes all have some pretty bad bugs, some of them that are almost game-breaking. I tried out all of the classes except Spellslinger up to 20 and so far the most broken mechanics-wise seems to be the Stalker followed by the Esper and Engineer. I have stuck with a Warrior for now because it seems like the least buggy class so far for me. I agree with the annoying UI bugs: I have been having a problem with one of my Carbine addons (i.e. an addon that comes with the out-of-the-box UI) that keeps crashing about half of the UI. I would actually lower the polish score.

I would raise the longetivity score because to me it is not just about the endgame but is also what other systems are offered and the fact that Carbine seems intent on frequently releasing new content drops. They said they want to provide a well-rounded experience at level 50 so that to me matters more than raiding and attuning. This game offers the most stuff I have ever seen in a new launch. I will probably never be able to raid in this game since I do not have the time to perfect running dungeons. As long as Carbine has something for me to do at endgame, I don't care about not being able to raid.

This combined with interesting crafting, housing, fluff stuff, paths, etc., means that I think I will be in this game for a long time. I can overlook some flaws, even some irritating ones, because what matters most to me outside of fun combat and good storyline is an amazing and interesting world to play in and fun game mechanics like the ones I just mentioned.

Scientist, actually, is really, really nice. It is not just click and read. It actually is useful (most of the time) for adventuring because some of the things you scan actually give you buffs. You have to be careful though because not all of the stuff you scan is beneficial. Scientists have a very nice group ability too. Same with colonist: I am surprised no mention was made of the awesome buffing machines that help out all players who use them. You can also build taxis, defense, and vendors in outposts. If you build enough stuff, a special buffer NPC appears. There are some colonist nodes in mob camps that allow you to make a buff that helps anyone in the area of effect. You get costume pieces and other knickknacks for leveling your path. Absolutely awesome!

I would have to agree with  all this, except the red. I've level'd and play'd all the classes in the Beta and have level'd several since it went live. The mechanics of the game are complex and getting used to a class can be challenging until you get past 20. I'm amazed at the number of sites already up that post theory-crafting builds and helpful AMP recommendations. These resources provide you an insight to the potentials for each class. The 'buggy-ness' was basically absent for me, I was able to craft my toons to maximize their potential by researching builds.

My take-away form Wildstar is that it's hard, or better yet it's challenging. I would bet that the majority of the negative posters here have a problem with the difficulty. This level of complexity and difficulty translates into a challenge for me to know the class, prepare for the dungeons/adventures/raids/pvp in such a way that it reminds me STRONGLY of WoW in it's earliest days. It's this complexity that I think most of the ADD MMO crowd will not like, and cannot handle. The mentoring system adds to the complexity. You will not be allowed to face-roll the keyboard when you get to max level and want to experience the lower content (that players rushed through). These touches will alienate the 'gotta have it now' players, and will give the longevity players more to sink their teeth into.

As for the review; 2 of the CONS are fixable, and being worked on now. The 'Grind' is subjective; if you take the time to 'read' and follow the storyline, the grind becomes a good book that you're living in. I've really appreciated the lore, which at 1st I thought was being ignored (I'm thrilled I was wrong).

Finally, of all the things there are to do in Wildstar, there was no mention of the hidden nuggets that are ALSO available. Taking your time and looking through the world you'll find little events and bosses that are not on the beat'n path. For example, in Galeras, the thundercall staff boss is on a timer and requires at least 5 people to down (can be duo'd with a tank and healer I'm told). Getting a group ready only to get to the point and summon the boss generally results in a scenario where his timer has not reset and you've got to wait. The reward for downing him is a quest line for an epic weapon. You don't have to do this to progress, but it's fun to find the site along that hidden path, explore, wonder, and try your hand at beating him. There are several of these sprinkled throughout the world that make it even more interesting. 

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

The idea of getting a "key" or getting attuned for a raid comes from old WoW.  Even WoW MoP use the Celestial cloak attunement as a requirement to be able to participate and kill celestial world bosses.  And that takes a lot to farm to get one, and while you only need 1 char with it on your server, still is something that takes more than 1 month to get... a lot more.

Also they always said that raiding was done for those that will commit to it, and not for the masses.

Like I always told my brother... MMO's is about End Game.  If you don't want to spend time farming and working that end-game, and want a fast ending, then MMO's is not for you. 

Don't post fiction like this... I don't have the cape, but I've participated in killing the Celestrials on Timeless Isle MANY times. Also, it doesn't take long to get the cape for those who wants to, Blizzard nerfed the quest chain at least twice.

Who "they"? Still talking about Blizzard? If so, you're wrong. Blizzard ALWAYS wanted more people to participate in raids, which is the sole reason why they added the raid finder. They've posted several articles and comments about this, especially during the months before LFR was added to WoW.

And btw, end game isn't limited to raids. If it was, more than 95% of WoW's playerbase would have left a long time ago.

There is a boss that you have to have the cape to get to him on the Timeless Isle is what he is saying. Also yes it takes a few months to get the cape even now. If you happen to get the max number of items each week it would still take longer than a month to get the Cape. For WoW the majority of players do raid. There are a few other things to do at max, BG and Arena are the two big ones. Most people who do those are raiders as well though.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by TankYou88
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Scot

Aesthetics 10???

This is what is normally called graphics but they changed the name so a score of 10 does not look so absurd.

If MMO designers can make a carton and get a score of ten why bother with the superior graphics of AoC, TESO, even titles like TSW. For that matter somewhat cartoony MMOs like TERRA look better.

Travesty.

Wow nice F'n catch man. They changed the fricken review system for this game. What gives mmorpg.com? 

Wow...

If you look you can see thats how they did ESO as well. Aesthetics is a word most companies use.

It's not even a category! 

Polish isn't either! Niether is longevity! WTF LMAO bogus review is bogus.

3 of the categories this game was rated on aren't even categories! image

So the ESO score should be lower? I mean you dont get to make the rules on what they use as categories sorry. Just because you dont like a game doesnt mean it doesnt deserve a score. All the reviews are saying about the same scores for this game. Maybe stop running the hate train?

No i don't.. No one does I THOUGHT. I guess mmorpg.com reviewers can change them when ever they feel though. Bogus is bogus

Imo they didn't have to do this. Now wildstar score is based off a completely different criteria. WTF mmorpg.com?? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Aesthetics 10???

This is what is normally called graphics but they changed the name so a score of 10 does not look so absurd.

If MMO designers can make a carton and get a score of ten why bother with the superior graphics of AoC, TESO, even titles like TSW. For that matter somewhat cartoony MMOs like TERRA look better.

Travesty.

Wow nice F'n catch man. They changed the fricken review system for this game. What gives mmorpg.com? 

Wow...

If you look you can see thats how they did ESO as well. Aesthetics is a word most companies use.

So the ESO score should be lower? I mean you dont get to make the rules on what they use as categories sorry. Just because you dont like a game doesnt mean it doesnt deserve a score. All the reviews are saying about the same scores for this game. Maybe stop running the hate train?

No i don't.. No one does I THOUGHT. I guess mmorpg.com reviewers can change them when ever they feel though. Bogus is bogus

Imo they didn't have to do this. Now wildstar score is based off a completely different criteria. WTF mmorpg.com?? 

If you look here you can see they did it for ESO as well. Exact same criteria. If that is the criteria they base the scores off of and it how they do all of the games this way why does it? http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/reviews/load/323/page/2

[mod edit]

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Aesthetics 10???

Travesty.

Wow...

If you look here you can see they did it for ESO as well. Exact same criteria. If that is the criteria they base the scores off of and it how they do all of the games this way why does it? http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/reviews/load/323/page/2

[mod edit]

I'm not to big to admit when wrong. I'll blame scot :p 

It seems official reviews are based off different categories than user reviews. I went all the way back to swtor (8.7 btw) and those 3 categories were used.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Aesthetics 10???

Travesty.

Wow...

[mod edit]

It seems official reviews are based off different categories than user reviews. I went all the way back to swtor (8.7 btw) and those 3 categories were used.

TankYou...lol. Was wondering why you were getting mad.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    WildStar is an amazing fun game. So sorry that it does not appeal to MMO burn outs who no longer remember how to have Fun.
  • TownfoolTownfool Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Great review response....laughed until I spilled my beer.  Thanks mate...
  • TownfoolTownfool Member UncommonPosts: 15

You already leveled  a 50 toon and it wasn't your "cup of tea". Lordy... what do you do when you like an MMORPG??  Don't agree with your review but appreciate your opinion and spending the time sharing your thoughts.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I got some new review categories to add so Wildstar can get an even higher review score. 

File Size - 10

Wildstar isn't the biggest game I've had to download and considering the infinite amount of content you get this says a lot. The download speed could have been better but that's neither here nor there.

Color Variation - 10

Wildstar uses the largest color palette I've experienced to date.  So many colors. The colors, the colors. Carbine left no stone un-turned in the color department. Prepare your eyes for color overload. Hopefully in the next content update they will introduce another round of colors.

Game Name - 10

Wildstar is an awesome name for a game. It gives off the same feel as an obscure edgy comic book hero. It's one word, and has 2 syllables and you can't go wrong with 2 syllables. So many incredible words have 2 syllables. Win Win.

New Score: 8.9 (will round up to 9.0)

-----

Is this considered trolling or ban worthy? I don't know. Don't ban me bros. It's just jokes.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I liked this game more than I thought I would, I get the aesthetic score if only because the animations are just so freaking amazing and fit the world so well. I'm just a little disappointed that the game runs at max 30 fps on my pc and that there's no proper working particle slider or command.
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

I got some new review categories to add so Wildstar can get an even higher review score. 

File Size - 10

Wildstar isn't the biggest game I've had to download and considering the infinite amount of content you get this says a lot. The download speed could have been better but that's neither here nor there.

Color Variation - 10

Wildstar uses the largest color palette I've experienced to date.  So many colors. The colors, the colors. Carbine left no stone un-turned in the color department. Prepare your eyes for color overload. Hopefully in the next content update they will introduce another round of colors.

Game Name - 10

Wildstar is an awesome name for a game. It gives off the same feel as an obscure edgy comic book hero. It's one word, and has 2 syllables and you can't go wrong with 2 syllables. So many incredible words have 2 syllables. Win Win.

New Score: 8.9 (will round up to 9.0)

-----

Is this considered trolling or ban worthy? I don't know. Don't ban me bros. It's just jokes.

As BcBully pointed out earlier, these are the same categories they have been using for years now. 

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Fair score for a very fun game.

..Cake..

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I'll pass just because it is like every other WoW clone out there, even though TES was a train wreck, at least it offered something slightly different. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Aesthetics 10???

Travesty.

Wow...

[mod edit]

TankYou...lol. Was wondering why you were getting mad.

Guys, I am not saying they changed the name just for Wildstar. SWTOR did not exactly have top rpg graphics either did it? Aesthetics was called Graphics when the toon look was seen as second rate, something any old PC could handle. MMOs are no longer being held to that strict criteria, why? So that toon looking MMOs do not have a score of Graphics 5, there can be no other reason, unless you know of one?

So is the WS review cooked up? I don't know, not played the game.

Looking at the previous score for Graphics (lets call it what it is) ESO got 9, AoC got 9, Wildstar 10. That's a toon MMO given a score better than MMOs which are nearly as good as the top solo rpg's.

That's a travesty.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

To me the game was just OK and so was the review but the innovation score is far too high.

Its not just a feel of having been there done that, you have absolutely played this game if you have played any other MMO in the past. I don't think the combat justifies the innovation score either, its just the same action combat as done elsewhere with a slightly different spin on it that I personally dislike. Just because something is different doesn't make it good or innovative.

I would have loved to see some actual innovation in the interface for example. It's actually a step back in many ways and it's very clunky and painful to use. I remember having various things flash up at me like I'd just won a few coins on a slot machine at one point, some of which overlapped with others. To me this kind of reward system is just annoying, childish and fake. Maybe it's been fixed since?

Given this game was released at a similar time to ESO I tried both and certainly Wildstar is the better of the two. With a year of solid polish from the dev Wildstar may turn out to be a great game and is certainly in a better spot then ESO with their talk of overhauling the endgame and the general consensus on that game.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

WS is a very well made, polished and fully featured game.

Every game must be compared to what the market offers. So what else is in the market to choose between?

WoW? Come on. No more pls. Not again pls after 10 years. Enough.

Rift? Descent game but thats all.

SWTOR? Hmmmm nty. Rejected a long time ago.

TERA? Nty again.

ESO? Out of the question for many reasons.

FFA? Maybe a good choice for some or many, i agree.

GW2? Different style and not that great as it would be. As a GW1 fan i was greatly disappointed. Just a descent game.

EvE? I like it a lot but its a whole different game.

etc etc etc

So, i have many mmo's in my mind that would be really great. But these games are in my mind only, they are not created yet. What really matters is what the current mmo market offers and betweeb them  WS is easily one of the top 3.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Guys, I am not saying they changed the name just for Wildstar. SWTOR did not exactly have top rpg graphics either did it? Aesthetics was called Graphics when the toon look was seen as second rate, something any old PC could handle. MMOs are no longer being held to that strict criteria, why? So that toon looking MMOs do not have a score of Graphics 5, there can be no other reason, unless you know of one?

So is the WS review cooked up? I don't know, not played the game.

Looking at the previous score for Graphics (lets call it what it is) ESO got 9, AoC got 9, Wildstar 10. That's a toon MMO given a score better than MMOs which are nearly as good as the top solo rpg's.

That's a travesty.

Aesthetics means overall artistic value.... Graphics and art are two different things. Even if a game uses a cartoony design doesn't mean the graphics aren't good. Look at Japanese or Korean titles for many examples of great graphical quality, yet stylistic designs chosen over realistic.

This score isn't just about pixel counts, it's about overall balance and creativity.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If WOW was re-reviewed it would also get a high score for aesthetics would it not. if you are obsessing about the categorisation of a review summary you need to get out more :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MrLee95MrLee95 Member UncommonPosts: 7

In the July 2nd patch notes.....

The Elder Gem Cap has been increased to 2,000, up from 560

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

+ Beautiful stylized world & characters...

what? WTB Eyes!

• BellamySnipeBellamySnipe Member Posts: 2

i have a serious question, cause i like the style of wildstar and me and some friends wanted to buy the game at launch, but we all played beta and the perfomance was bad as s***.

i have an i7 4770/gt660/12gbram. i runned the game with 15-20fps. my friends also. No one can play with such freakin bad fps, thats no fun. and if we are honest, the graphics are really bad.

SO, question: were the performance increased since the open beta? cause we have huge interest in the game. Or are maybe some perfomance-improvements in the pipeline? :O

(and plz no conversation about my bad english, no native speaker. :) )

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    That score is too high IMO; but then most scores on this site are.  How can you give innovation a 7 when there is no innovation? 
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

Its a pretty accurate review but it misses out one crucial score 

Optimization - 0 . 

It really is pot luck whether your PC will play this game or not . Some people with mid range PCs seem to get more FPS than those with high spec machines . It doesn't matter if your machine is well within the recommended specifications it still may not play Wildstar well .  

Before buying try and get a buddy key to test whether you can run it to an acceptable standard on your PC or wait until a free trial comes available . This is one game you need to try before you buy or you may be wasting your money . 

• Asinine21Asinine21 Member Posts: 17

For the record when you cap your elder gems it converts the experience directly into cash instead so that you can pick up extra gold just doing whatever. And capping the gems for a week does not take a huge investment of time, especially with the recent addition of a second zone of daily quests. Running through both zones you will likely cap in 3 sets of dailies if you do absolutely nothing else. Throw in some PvP, adventures, or just killing stuff and you'll be pretty hard pressed to not cap after two days.

So to my mind something that requires ~4 hours a week to achieve doesn't count as a grind to me. Many games have required far more of a time investment for the weekly cap of whatever. It definitely feels more like a "If you play the game, you'll get this stuff eventually" kind of deal to me given how easy it is to gather up the points. Yes it will take close to a year to have the "optimal" build for your character. Is it really such a bad thing to have a long term goal in an MMORPG ?

And why do you have to be raiding RIGHT NOW instead of taking your time, learning how to play your class well, and going into a raid in a month or two with people who are likewise experienced ? To me one of the most frustrating aspects of raids is when people get to max level and step into the raid with absolutely no idea of what the hell they are doing and become an anchor to drag. And they can be nice people, people who are great to be around in every aspect except they have no idea of what they are doing. Do you just kick them because they have no experience? And if you do, where exactly are they supposed to learn? Most other games there is a gigantic gap in difficulty and mechanics between raids and everything else. To me it's good that it takes some coordination and effort to get in the door. If they're in there with you they can probably at least hold their own and not stand in fire.

I do have a level 50, but I am not raid attuned as of yet. I've done the adventure step and am waiting for people to gear up/get to the dungeon step. I'm not in a particular rush to do so, there is plenty around to do (at least for me).

The queue dodging that was mentioned in an above post is definitely a huge issue with dungeons and adventures right now with the way medals and loot are handled. They're addressing it in a patch that should be out within a week or two that changes how rewards are handled. Doing things with a group finder group can be chancy at best right now, so I'd definitely knock the score down -1 for that at least on the polish aspect. They have been making good strides in performance. It is very much improved from closed beta (which was god awful) but definitely room for improvement still.