Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard

2»

Comments

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by ZwuckeL
    Originally posted by abahnur
    I always wanted wow to finally die....but ...then again what would everyone hate? (besides I'm re subbing in like 2 days.)

I highly doubt any current MMO will have even 10k players the day WoW dies.

WoW is here to stay. Games like ESO or Wildstar aren't

I wouldn't worry about everyone not having something to hate. I'm sure they'll think of something or anything. Second quote for example hates 2 somethings.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by nubachu
    RIP Blizzard.

+1 

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    It may be a good thing some of these people are leaving . It was under their watch that WoW went from a fun game with some challenge in it to a boring game with very little challenge in it and while it is still very successful I still think it would have achieved the same level of success had they stuck to their guns and kept the difficulty levels in the game similar to those seen in its first few years . I would happily still be playing even now had they not made is such a casual experience . The final straw for me was when they virtually killed off world pvp with the looking for a group tools on pvp servers . I would happily go back if they introduced "advanced" servers that reversed much of the streamlining we have seen in the last 5 years . 
  • WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I always wanted wow to finally die....but ...then again what would everyone hate? (besides I'm re subbing in like 2 days.)

lol you are kinding right WoW graphic engine is almost 10 years old and both ESO and WS have better graphic engine with that i mean it is so much you can do with a graphic engine both ESO and WS will most like be around much longer then WoW will do and if key people are leave blizzard it is maybe for the don't way game is heading

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by Wolfshead

lol you are kinding right WoW graphic engine is almost 10 years old and both ESO and WS have better graphic engine with that i mean it is so much you can do with a graphic engine both ESO and WS will most like be around much longer then WoW will do and if key people are leave blizzard it is maybe for the don't way game is heading

What?  ESO and Wildstar have a playerbase that can be counted in the thousands/ hundreds of thousands.  WOW has a playerbase that can be counted in the millions.  

Graphics are not the be-all and end-all.  You can polish a turd, but it is still a turd.   

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by nubachu
    RIP Blizzard.

While overdramtic on surface - Rob Pardo played a huge part of making Blizzard into a multi-billion dollar company.

And for those who've met/know/worked with Rob - they know just how much of a great and down to earth person he is period.

Pardo is the man - him leaving is HUGE, as his impact on the culture of Blizzard and teams built is priceless (in a true sense of the word).

When a company loses a man like this - it is RIP in a way.

Is Apple resting in peace after losing Steve Jobs?

You guys sure know how to exaggerate and dramatize every news about WOW.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Mr Pardo cruised Blizzard to the top of the hill and remained there for over a decade it not almost 2 decades.
    The man is not even sitting on a high horse and act like a god, he speaks and acts like a normal guy who has a passion for the things he do.

Its a great loss to any company to see such legend walk out of the door.
    Wish him a well deserved long vacation and hope to see thim man back rather sooner than later.

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I bet he is leaving because he doesn't like direction of Blizzard anymore.  Who does?  Isn't it interesting all this seemed to change after the Activision-Blizzard merger?  They are just profiteers working for Wallstreet and Blizzard didn't see this shit coming.  Lots of gamers have dropped their respect for them like never before and are in search of another leader of the industry!
  • KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Xarko
    New creative minds can be only a good thing for WoW at this point.

Yeah, Bioware seems to be doing good with all that new blood.

Oh wait....

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Asamof

riot takes another

Everything is going as planned.

Now we need an MMO based off of the League of Legends lore.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Xerathule
    I bet he is leaving because he doesn't like direction of Blizzard anymore.  Who does?  Isn't it interesting all this seemed to change after the Activision-Blizzard merger?  They are just profiteers working for Wallstreet and Blizzard didn't see this shit coming.  Lots of gamers have dropped their respect for them like never before and are in search of another leader of the industry!

Kids..... Don't do crack.

• Originally posted by abahnur

Best comment.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    It's hilarious how desperate some people are for WoW to die. According to some on this site, any bit of news regarding Blizzard has supposedly signalled the death of WoW for as long as I can recall. Drama queens all around.
  • DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
    WoW isn't going anywhere anytime soon. After MoP they already planned on 3 or 4 more exp packs. The last guy that left wasn't a big deal. Half the playerbase hated ghostcrawler. Game is BETTER without him. The fact WoW held onto 8m subs through the MoP and almost a year of no NEW content updates waiting on WoD. Which is pretty good, seeing how MoP was just horrid. WoD looks like it'll bring back the BC days. With the free 90 toon, all the old players can skip over the disasters of Cata/MoP and get straight to WoD. This exp pack should knock WoWs subs close to what they originally were. With Wildstar and ESO being trash, and I think archeage is tossing in a sub? I THINK they are. WoD isn't going to have any competition. 
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by SBFord

Blizzard is down one Chief Creative Officer with the announcement that seventeen year veteran, Rob Pardo, is leaving the company. Pardo did not cite reasons for his departure, only that he will spend the summer enjoying time with his family.

"As to what I will be doing next, I don't have an answer for you yet... but I will 'when it's ready,'" Pardo said. "My priorities are to enjoy the summer with my family, play plenty of games, and think about what's next. The game industry is such an exciting place right now with PC gaming thriving, the new consoles, mobile games, and virtual reality becoming an actual reality. It's like having an empty quest log and going into a new zone for the first time."

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

must have been hard thinking up all those cookie-cutter classes for WoW.  Im sure he is LOL'ing all the way to the bank tho.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Blizzard is down one Chief Creative Officer with the announcement that seventeen year veteran, Rob Pardo, is leaving the company. Pardo did not cite reasons for his departure, only that he will spend the summer enjoying time with his family.

"As to what I will be doing next, I don't have an answer for you yet... but I will 'when it's ready,'" Pardo said. "My priorities are to enjoy the summer with my family, play plenty of games, and think about what's next. The game industry is such an exciting place right now with PC gaming thriving, the new consoles, mobile games, and virtual reality becoming an actual reality. It's like having an empty quest log and going into a new zone for the first time."

"when its ready..."   glad he still feeding us his old companies favorite line.  Back in the day it was ok for them to take forever to make a game....they used to make EXCELLENT games....but when you take years upon years upon years to make....StarCraft II....ummm, wow, not cool.  I wont even mention Diablo the 3rd, lol.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4

"when its ready..."   glad he still feeding us his old companies favorite line.  Back in the day it was ok for them to take forever to make a game....they used to make EXCELLENT games....but when you take years upon years upon years to make....StarCraft II....ummm, wow, not cool.  I wont even mention Diablo the 3rd, lol.

Back then Blizzard wasn't part of Activision either. Hadn't Activision being merged with Vivendi things would have been very different. You can see it in WoW, it's when Activision got in control over Blizzard that thing's became awkward. You also see it with Starcraft 2, do you really think Blizzard, the old Blizzard, would have allowed the game to be released in 3 parts? No they would not. They would have given you a full game with 3 playable campaigns from the start and maybe some expansions in the future. But that goes in everything Activision stands for (money grabbing to the max and F the gamer and the developers). Now its being released in 3 parts with years between each version. All for the full F'ing price. Heck they would release the three parts shortly after each other but now they just take years knowing that it will increase the profit more this way.

You can't blame Blizzard really for D3 and such. They are Activisions Bi....euhm well you know the word i can't say here. Activision susccesfully butchered where Blizzard stood for. Heck i don't even think Blizzard wanted to take the path WoW has taken over the years but it matches with the "we need to make it mainstream friendly and lure new people in over the old fans" that resulted in a drop in active players as the got fed up with their game going left and right and not being the game anymore they played from the start. Yeah WoW was always more friendly for beginners to the genre. But even vanilla WoW had its challenges and could be rather hard...now its just a joke of what it used to be (not hating on the game). Raids are simplefied to make it more accessable cause this is how Activision wants things. They don't want people to cry and booohooo they need to invest in learning how to play booohoo cause the CoD generation can't handle learning their class and taking time in lvling up.

Shame to see this guy go. Not many left from the good old Blizzard team. Blizzard will always remain one of my old heroes. Even if they aren't that hero anymore. Hope he get's to enjoy his rest and finds something else that will give him joy in life again. Thanks for all the great work on some amazing games.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Wow is not going anywhere anytime soon, waiting on the f2p announcement in a couple of years, then wow will be around for 10 or more years milking it's fans like tor and other games do..LOL
  • ForrealzForrealz Member Posts: 28

Only reason I don't like WoW is its gameplay I find its auto attacking and turn based action out dated and a lot slower then other MMOs with a similar engine. I wish they just made attacking faster and more instant so that it would look and feel a lot less turn based. If that happened it would be a big deal but instead they are more focused on animations lol.

Btw I agree with wgc01, its never a good sign when an MMo changes business models at least for the consumer/gamer side of things and really the business will be who benefits most from the change. Since you know when an MMO goes from sub only to F2p its money milking time with the focus being more about the MMOs cash shop and making money while the MMO itself becomes the second focus or pretty much takes the back seat.

Good example of this is SWTOR instead of a steady flow of expansions/endgame content you normally get with sub only or successful mmos in general you get a steady flow of cash shop items/packs instead.. Now tell me who is benefiting more from that change lol. The only time f2p mmos are a good thing are if its a specific f2p business model and if it started with F2p from the beginning and the same applies with sub only MMOs. Btw anytime a Billionaire Publisher takes over of course things are gonna change and that change could be good or bad while really depending on their profits. You can bet things are gonna change if they don't see the right numbers real fast.

• CylintCylint Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Executives leaving the company to take time off to spend with family is code for, "I was pushed out".  In any case, seventeen years as a leader in the top revenue generating game of all time can't be bad for the resume.  Good luck to him!