Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Inquisition: First "Fully Gay" Male Love Interest Revealed

Comments

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

does the sexuality of a player charakter REALLY matters that MUCH?

Bioware listens to much to that retarded fanbase in that biowhore forums...

• OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by CandyCaneNJ

There you go. No straight person character will ever need an announcement.

Hopefully we can reach that point where announcing a character is gay will be as silly as announcing they are straight. Right now, though, you have the combination of extreme under-representation and media sensationalism combined, making the former a rather high hurdle to jump.

When the original Star Trek came out, I doubt the producers ever considered putting out a press release saying "Star Trek: First 'fully black' Bridge Officer Revealed"  They chose to be progressive rather than to sell progress. Maybe they were short-sighted in their marketing, or maybe they realized the best way to move forward is to just move forward and not make a circus act out of it. 

They also claim to have had the first interracial kiss. Looking back Nichelle Nichols said it was groundbreaking and changed the industry dramatically. At the time they didn't sell, market, and PR that progress, they just did as though it was normal.

Obviously Biowares PR stunt has worked. People are talking about the game and I have no doubt that many will support it primarily for the "groundbreaking stand it's making". I think they're using homosexuality as a marketing gimmick and not because the writing team came up with an interesting relational line where the character was gay. They did it solely so they could make the PR announcement they did.

What does "fully gay" mean anyway? Is this as opposed to 97% gay? This is a completely different universe. Why did they have to make the gay man a victim of his order and a deviant. There is no reason this imagined universe had to treat his sexuality as deviant. They did it to generate controversy and illicit an emotionally supportive response. Instead of dignifying the person as normal, they've victimized him as an oppressed deviant. That's marketing not story telling. They certainly know how to push buttons though don't they.

Either you read it wrong, or you are reading what you want hear.

They are not making him a victim of his order and a deviant.  They are merely stating that his sexual preference, which of course he has no control over, deviates from the "norm" in the mage order.  He is nevertheless an honorable mage and otherwise lives his life based on common principles and objectives.  He just is what he is and obviously does not hide it.  The fact that he is gay does not, in and of itself, make him a deviant and undignified.

I think many are making this more than it is based on their own preconceived notions.

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I don't really get why this is such a big deal.

So a character is gay.  So what?  Making that announcement as if it is a big deal causes more problems than it hopes to solve, not because being gay is bad or anything (it isn't), but because it might make some impressionable homosexuals believe that such an announcement is a big deal deserving of fanfare, which will always rub homophobes the wrong way.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• SerimSerim Member Posts: 23
    I want play this game look realy Epic !

• Rush84Rush84 Member Posts: 62

eh what has being gay got to do with a game? and whats a fully gay? can you get half gays and quarter gays? i thought gay was gay?

so is dragon age now the most gayest game ever? eh gratz i guess? 

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

So a character is gay.  So what?  Making that announcement as if it is a big deal causes more problems than it hopes to solve, not because being gay is bad or anything (it isn't), but because it might make some impressionable homosexuals believe that such an announcement is a big deal deserving of fanfare, which will always rub homophobes the wrong way.

Just cause you see it as a big announcement does not mean everyone else does. I saw a short piece about this on some site and that is about it. Same coverage as every other story today, be it Rebellion suing Ironclad, Smash Brothers being Smash Brother and many others.

Originally posted by Rush84

eh what has being gay got to do with a game? and whats a fully gay? can you get half gays and quarter gays? i thought gay was gay?

Previously all Bioware characters were bisexual. This character is gay. Simple. Not really sure what is confusing to you.

• Rush84Rush84 Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Rzep

Previously all Bioware characters were bisexual. This character is gay. Simple. Not really sure what is confusing to you.

there is no difference , if you could be bi-sexual in teh game then you could of just of been "fully" gay.... its teh choice you make as the player so what have they done removed the choice. my guess is they make the character really camp. god damn always whining until they get what they want, what if normal people dont want to listen to that shit, it better be a choice id rather have a nice lesbian

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    wrong place, sorry

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

there is no difference , if you could be bi-sexual in teh game then you could of just of been "fully" gay.... its teh choice you make as the player so what have they done removed the choice. my guess is they make the character really camp. god damn always whining until they get what they want, what if normal people dont want to listen to that shit, it better be a choice id rather have a nice lesbian

I disagree, I think the difference is in how they have to write a character that only goes one way. Before characters were written to be ambiguous, they had to write it so all dialog fits both ways. I mean of course we will see if they put actual effort into it, but in general it can be a pretty big difference.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Witcher 3 looks like a more mature title anyway.
  • OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

There is a bigger picture at play.  Yet many fail to see it and even more refuse to accept it.  Civil rights is never easy, often times painful, with results often ending quite bloody.  When it comes to civil rights nothing ever changes and sweeping it under the rug or pushing it into the closet (not pun intended) achieves nothing and only succeeds in encouraging a status quo.  Sometimes noise just has to be made to effect change.  There is a greater cause behind it all.  Many will never like it or accept it because it does not affect them.  They do not understand because they are not the oppressed.  Though many will obviously not agree for a variety of reasons, it is all for a greater good.  It is history repeating itself with a different group of people.  If it feels like it is being shoved down your throat, its because it is.  Change is coming, whether you like or not ... and it is about time.

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Completely different games. The Witcher is fantasy like Game of Thrones is fantasy. It has a strong sense of medieval realism. It's somewhere around where Low Fantasy starts. Dragon Age is high fantasy.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Yoofaloof
    'Fully' gay? Will make a change from those annoying half gay characters then.  image

Half gay half elves. They're everywhere!

I just hope the story is good. After E3 I really liked how the mechanics were presented (EA's good at presenting things) but DA2's mechanics were okish.. Just the story wasn't any good. 

a yo ho ho

Completely different games. The Witcher is fantasy like Game of Thrones is fantasy. It has a strong sense of medieval realism. It's somewhere around where Low Fantasy starts. Dragon Age is high fantasy.

And yet they all have dragons. Witcher has elves aswell and game of thrones has undead. None of them are low fantasy.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I don't care about any of the romances. I wouldn't bother even trying for them if there were not achievements for them.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by CandyCaneNJ

There you go. No straight person character will ever need an announcement.

Hopefully we can reach that point where announcing a character is gay will be as silly as announcing they are straight. Right now, though, you have the combination of extreme under-representation and media sensationalism combined, making the former a rather high hurdle to jump.

When the original Star Trek came out, I doubt the producers ever considered putting out a press release saying "Star Trek: First 'fully black' Bridge Officer Revealed"  They chose to be progressive rather than to sell progress. Maybe they were short-sighted in their marketing, or maybe they realized the best way to move forward is to just move forward and not make a circus act out of it. 

I actually agree with you here.

The problem (and I know you have been on these forums for a long time so you must have seen this) is that there have been people very unhappy with the inclusion of people who were gay. There have been posts where people have actually asked for them to list this on the game box so that people could make the choice to not purchase.

So do they really do this or do they just make an announcement?

In truth there is a bit of sensationalism about this but there was also sensationalism about the first bi-racial relationships to appear in movies.

Did those movies make a point to put out a trailer/news item saying that they have 'fully mixed' love interests?  

TO BE CLEAR... I am asking that question because I don't know. In the case of Dragon Age, Bioware sent out this mass message, which is why you see the same exact title across 50+ media outlets.

uh "yeah" they did. There are a lot of movies from the 50's to the 70's that did just that.

You see, that's part of the problem here. This stuff has been going on for YEARS. But most gamers it seems have a very short term memory if they were even alive at that time at all or even had any interest in old movies.

Island in the Sun was late 50's. Good luck Miss Wyckoff was late 70's.

And some of these movies weren't just black/white but with Asians, American Indians, etc.

I think there are a few that go back to the 20's and earlier.

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad you cited a few examples of the 'taboo' relationships they were selling. Well, I wouldn't really call the two in Good Luck a relationship but that's neither here nor there. :)  

lol, ah so you know the movie! Well, yeah that's a weird one.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

And yet they all have dragons. Witcher has elves aswell and game of thrones has undead. None of them are low fantasy.

Low fantasy can have fantasy races and monsters.  Low fantasy does not equal historic fantasy.

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

Imagine the widespread uproar from the "heterosexual" community if relationships were not part of a popular game.  The calls of injustice and left wing inspired conspiracy fueled by hatred and bigotry.

We know that won't happen.      The homosexual lobby and goal is but a systemic solution and public outcry, judicial and legislative activism can only go so far.  Sexual preference is a behavior except for one rather large stipulation:  every breathing, living person straight and gay person are on this planet is here because of some kind of heterosexual relationship.

Thanks Mom and Dad.  I could care less that a game should remind me of that.

Low fantasy can have fantasy races and monsters.  Low fantasy does not equal historic fantasy.

How are they low fantasy, what defines them as so? Both a song of ice and fire and the witcher share all the same types of monsters as dragon age. The only differance i can see between them is that dragon age has a less complicated plot and therefore it's a less mature title.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Scalpless

You can always find some people who are stupid enough. Trying to rile them up is a usual marketing tactic that's especially useful when your product isn't particularly good. It used to be violence. Manhunt is a good example of that. It's just a crappy stealth game, but the completely intentional controversy around it lead to it becoming quite famous. Now BioWare is trying to get free marketing from the LBGT community and they've been moderately successful.

They even included that pilot guy in ME3, who was gay and had no almost personality beyond that.

It's a single paragraph in a character's bio that is otherwise not about sexuality at all.

Are we seriously living in this sad of a backwards world where people need to search for supposed marketing tricks when a character's bio briefly talks about a sexuality that is a little bit out of the norm?

Even if it is a marketing trick, all the power to them. You make it seem like all games that employ marketing tricks are trying to hide the fact that they're actually bad games. That's of course utter nonsense. You'd easily be able to throw tons of games that turned out perfectly good in the bin then, like the crowd favourite Witcher series, which sells its sex appeal just the same.

If they wonna market by showing that they're tolerant to all sexual preferences, let them. It's better than the next wave of marketing showing off scandidly clad characters in plate bikinis and the like.

And that pilot guy in ME3 is just that: a minor character, period. If you go around basing a theory off of that, you're way off track. Also, if I remember right, he didn't ever use his being gay as a device at all. He lost his partner and was sad because of that, then you found out that his partner was a man.

No one in the Mass Effect universe looked up and found that a weird thing, maybe we could actually learn something from that.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

How are they low fantasy, what defines them as so? Both a song of ice and fire and the witcher share all the same types of monsters as dragon age. The only differance i can see between them is that dragon age has a less complicated plot and therefore it's a less mature title.

GoT and The Witcher take place in realistic worlds based on medieval times. It's fantasy dealings in a gritty realistic setting. Not only that but both are pretty brutal worlds that the authors have created. Both are also character driven. To me Low Fantasy is about characters while High Fantasy is about the plot. It's a human drama vs save the world sort of difference. Where the focus lies determines partially what genre something falls into.

Dragon Age is fantasy dealings in a fantasy setting. Even though there are down trotten elves the rest of it is pure sword and sorcery. It is also a game where, maybe despite what the devs wanted, the story takes center stage rather than most of the bit bland heroes. Dragon Age has a less complicated plot as you have said, there is less politics in it. It is a save the world story through and through.

This is how I see the differences though. Some people call DA a dark fantasy game which I can't agree with. Sure it's bloody but there are no horror elements, it's not a scary game. It's not the same as Dark/Demon Souls which is dark fantasy.

GoT and The Witcher take place in realistic worlds based on medieval times. It's fantasy dealings in a gritty realistic setting. Not only that but both are pretty brutal worlds that the authors have created. Both are also character driven. To me Low Fantasy is about characters while High Fantasy is about the plot. It's a human drama vs save the world sort of difference. Where the focus lies determines partially what genre something falls into.

Dragon Age is fantasy dealings in a fantasy setting. Even though there are down trotten elves the rest of it is pure sword and sorcery. It is also a game where, maybe despite what the devs wanted, the story takes center stage rather than most of the bit bland heroes. Dragon Age has a less complicated plot as you have said, there is less politics in it. It is a save the world story through and through.

This is how I see the differences though. Some people call DA a dark fantasy game which I can't agree with. Sure it's bloody but there are no horror elements, it's not a scary game. It's not the same as Dark/Demon Souls which is dark fantasy.

I guess that does make sense. So basically it's what i said, low fantasy has more adult themes e.g politics/culture etc whereas high fantasy is centered around the "hero" and is more of an easy read.

I guess that does make sense. So basically it's what i said, low fantasy has more adult themes e.g politics/culture etc whereas high fantasy is centered around the "hero" and is more of an easy read.

I would say that high fantasy centers are the "quest."

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by BitterClinger
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    So I suppose this is their marketing division trying to create a controversy and a backup plan to dismiss everyone who doesn't like their game as bigots, just like they did when the oh-so-progressive DA2 came out. I had hoped they'd stop screaming "WE'VE GOT GAY CHARACTERS" at the top of their lungs and simply make a good game, but eh. Maybe I'm just tired of BioWare, their poorly-written romances and EA's stale marketing.

Why would there be a controversy ?

Because Bioware and many in the gaming press will create it with the bogey-man of the "intolerant gaming community". Heck, they may even drum up some miniscule church group from Jerkwater, USA to protest the game.

The problem is that they won't have to drum them up.  They'll show up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_fantasy

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.