Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a lot more like Skyrim than ESO ever tried to be. (I had to see it to belie

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

when the ESO game design was first revealed I thought. I would joke saying 'this is the best thing for Darkfall ever'.

looks like its not a joke anymore

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Ive been playing the game like a virtual ES world. The only difference is the lack of Lore, which is fine for me, as I just make up stories as I adventure!
  • mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Ive been playing the game like a virtual ES world. The only difference is the lack of Lore, which is fine for me, as I just make up stories as I adventure!

Rumor is AV working on lore quest!  You can even submit you own and the will use you char name in the quest

Here is the Darkfall quest competition rules https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?393979-Contest-Write-the-Next-Darkfall-Quest .  With good quest the gap between ES and DF will shrink more!

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

"for all intensive purposes"?

Did you mean to write that or will you blame it on some escape goat?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I am glad to see ESO fans saying that it was not the plan rather than not possible.

Those aren't mutually exclusive...it makes no business sense trying to make Skyrim Online.

Even Skyrim Online mod had died..probably all those "nobodies" are playing ESO instead...

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

The original Darkfall had the potential to be a sandbox version look a like skyrim but tghen they destroyed it with UW. Its a shell now and and now its a big arena for epeen pvp.

DFO was no more sandbox than DFUW is now that they implemented the custom roles system and removed classes. About the only major thing missing now from DFO days is an enchanting system, which I believe theyre working on for a future update now.

Neither game was ever actually a sandbox. Even DFO was nothing more than a huge PvP arena with some elements of sandbox character development and forced PvE in order to skill up and become PvP viable.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Bethesda lay great weight on lore in any of their games, it is the main ingredient. The incredible worked out Lore is to read even in thousand of books in the game. 

Where is DF lore ?   Since its a rhetotical question ..DF is not the slightest inspired to immerse someone in a world other the the meaningless arena epeen PvP bashing.   

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Holophonist

You're just not using the english language properly.

Not even closEST.

It's easily one the closest games to EvE.  Not to mention the pvp in Darkfall is 100x better.  Don't get me wrong.  EvE is a great game but I just think DF is much better.

when DF implements its alignment system (assuming it's good) and deepens crafting a lot, then, to me it will be as good as eve.its not there yet... eve is one hell of a game.

however, (and i was there!!) DF at age 1 and a half is way ahead of where eve was at age 1 and a half

LOL - this game is not even remotely close to or on par with Eve in so, so many regards.  They have come a long way BUT have many, many miles to go to make it a true, good MMO.  It is still missing tons of MMO fluff you typically find that will take it from being just a big arena pvp game right now that it is.  They might get there indeed, but it is still a ways off.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Bethesda lay great weight on lore in any of their games, it is the main ingredient. The incredible worked out Lore is to read even in thousand of books in the game. 

Where is DF lore ?   Since its a rhetotical question ..DF is not the slightest inspired to immerse someone in a world other the the meaningless arena epeen PvP bashing.   

The Elder Scrolls online trivialized Bethesda's Elder Scrolls lore by making the mmo  little better than a "coin-op", which is approximately on the level of SW:TOR -- there is little freedom in either mmo.

On the other hand, 'Darkfall: Unholy Wars' allows you the freedom to be a dedicated crafter if you so desire and that is just one small element of the overall sandbox.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Tethered

I liked the game, I got tired of the ganking... seriously I do not want to invest my time in a game only to have someone hugely more powerful come along and gank me for my mats...

A server where they could control the pvp encounters I would not mind losing to someone who was better then me or got lucky.  Dems da ropes...

If they maybe made it so if someone with high skills who ganked was not able to loot items from low skilled toons, it would be worth playing.

This is why these games fail or survive by a thread with a very small number of subs....if you make it too soft you lose the hardcore players, make it like it is and good luck getting any new players to stick around long. Ultimately players get bored and leave, without new ones coming in to replace them eventually you end up with a ghost town MMO. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's funny.   I tried this game a couple of months back when they had the Steam sale on it.   I really didn't care for it.  But one thing that was very apparent was that general chat was constantly being spammed by players on how much they hated the game.  I know this happens in many MMOs, but for this game it seemed like there was more than the usual.

I tried playing it throughout that month I had, but I just didn't care for it.  I don't like to think of myself as nitpicky, but the graphics couldn't compare with what I have grown used to.  I also didn't much care for the control scheme.  I'm sure there are ways to remap everything but I just didn't have the drive to.

And what's with this trend on this site about how every other game feels more like ES than ESO?

What's next?  "LoL is more like ES than ESO is?"

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by Tethered

I liked the game, I got tired of the ganking... seriously I do not want to invest my time in a game only to have someone hugely more powerful come along and gank me for my mats...

A server where they could control the pvp encounters I would not mind losing to someone who was better then me or got lucky.  Dems da ropes...

If they maybe made it so if someone with high skills who ganked was not able to loot items from low skilled toons, it would be worth playing.

This is why these games fail or survive by a thread with a very small number of subs....

This game has been alive for 5 years, and Eve is also still alive, and one of the biggest MMOs in the west...

As for Unholy Wars, the power gap between new and old players is significantly smaller. Way smaller than most MMOs. Ganking happens quite a bit, but if you're smart and make friends, it barely happens at all.

• StoyStoy Member Posts: 11

The problem with this game will be and always will be the toxic community. Never have I played a game with such a bunch of psychopaths that are intent on ruining their own beloved game. It's like being a millionaire, getting a nice wife and children, being happy and then killing them all for no apparent reason and burying them in your back yard. You have something good, why ruin it?

At the end of the day if you are a high PP player and you hang around in low level areas where the new players are and constantly gank them over and over again until they log-off knowing fully well that you will never lose a fight; then you are ruining the game and will eventually cause it's ultimate demise. Why would you ruin something you clearly love and enjoy playing, they have obviously put in the time to get 100k+PP, so they must enjoy it? Now believe me or not; I am not saying this because it has happened to me, I saw it for myself and I decided that if people were actively trying to ruin the game and stop the player-base from expanding and hindering the income for AV then why should I bother playing anymore? It's not just one person either, it's gangs of players killing noobs for fun until they log off.

I think AV are well aware of this problem since they think it's a good idea to promote a players stream who is actively going out and doing this which shows a blatant disregard of care for their business and game.

I actually love this game and it has massive potential but if it's own players are so intent on destroying what they have then so be it.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

how does men compare darkfall to eve is way off.

Eve is a sandbox game with a healty playerbase

Darkfall is a mmofps with a small club of players

I wonder where these statements come from.. people seems to have no idea what a sandbox is or even played one

Originally posted by Stoy

At the end of the day if you are a high PP player and you hang around in low level areas where the new players are and constantly gank them over and over again until they log-off

Uh... there are fairly large safe zones in game where new players can get everything they need to be able to compete in PvP.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Copperfield

I wonder where these statements come from.. people seems to have no idea what a sandbox is or even played one

Darkfall is a sandbox, have you checked it out?

It seems you are unfamiliar with the subject mater, no offense.

Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Copperfield

Darkfall is a sandbox, have you checked it out?

It seems you are unfamiliar with the subject mater, no offense.

sandbox or not is irrelevant, often people with little experience with 'sandbox's' throw up this red herring.

Regardless of what you want to call it Eve is not like Darkfall. They share some characteristics but not enough to call them the same.

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Funny a feature in EVE is label as sandbox but same feature is not identified as sandbox if it is in Darkfall.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by greenreen

The problem with this game will be and always will be the toxic community. Never have I played a game with such a bunch of psychopaths that are intent on ruining their own beloved game. It's like being a millionaire, getting a nice wife and children, being happy and then killing them all for no apparent reason and burying them in your back yard. You have something good, why ruin it?

At the end of the day if you are a high PP player and you hang around in low level areas where the new players are and constantly gank them over and over again until they log-off knowing fully well that you will never lose a fight; then you are ruining the game and will eventually cause it's ultimate demise. Why would you ruin something you clearly love and enjoy playing, they have obviously put in the time to get 100k+PP, so they must enjoy it? Now believe me or not; I am not saying this because it has happened to me, I saw it for myself and I decided that if people were actively trying to ruin the game and stop the player-base from expanding and hindering the income for AV then why should I bother playing anymore? It's not just one person either, it's gangs of players killing noobs for fun until they log off.

I think AV are well aware of this problem since they think it's a good idea to promote a players stream who is actively going out and doing this which shows a blatant disregard of care for their business and game.

I actually love this game and it has massive potential but if it's own players are so intent on destroying what they have then so be it.

Is this the streamer you are talking about. This one is the one I think is a travesty for them to promote and give a title. Look at what they posted on the official site about their stream. They gank low lvls like crazy. How can anyone sane read this and say - yup, makes my game something people want to play - promoting? Is there a worse representation of a player?

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?394428-Rectum-Ragnarok-Adventures

You know what, it's not even that streamer, it was a different one with a lot more views and it was gangs of 100kPP players running around the edges of safe zones ganking new players, literally they were intent on ONLY targetting new players AND there was a link to it on the front of the DF:UW page and forums (since removed but it was there for weeks)... I've just looked back at some of your streamers link and he is the EPITOME of what my previous post was about. I agree with you 100%. If I were a potential buyer with interest in the game and I came along to the darkfall website and saw the top post in the forum was a stream... you would 100% click on it and watch. How can this image of what the top end players are like in DF:UW be good for the games outward appearance? It's just wrong on every level. 

Originally posted by DavisFlight

At the end of the day if you are a high PP player and you hang around in low level areas where the new players are and constantly gank them over and over again until they log-off

Uh... there are fairly large safe zones in game where new players can get everything they need to be able to compete in PvP.

Yes of course, the safe zone goblins can make anyone viable in PvP, what the heck sort of drugs are you on? Who are they competing with? themselves? Have you even played this game?

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Yes of course, the safe zone goblins can make anyone viable in PvP, what the heck sort of drugs are you on? Who are they competing with? themselves? Have you even played this game?

Played the game for 5 years. The safe zone has enough mobs and enough resources to harvest that a new player can learn and master certain parts of the game, and get most of their necessary skills, without ever having to venture outside the safe zone.

In my clan there are two players that hate PvP. They simply don't do it.

One of them go all the prowess they needed to start crafting, and follows our group out of the safe zone to kill mobs now and then. If there's danger, he runs and hides. That's the game for him. Getting killed by other people is a constant danger, but because he's not a moron, he takes steps to avoid it.

The second player who hates PvP, will usually farm in the safe zone and sell the mats on the market, then use that money to buy gear. High level players run into her a lot. About half of them kill her when she leaves the safe zone, and then they rez her and go on their way. She almost has a full friends list from people doing this. She spends most of her time doing treasure maps.

People get ganked, but there's far less newbie targetted ganking than you'd have people to believe, and most newbies know the risks of going outside the safe zone. Hence why most join clans and only venture out with clan mates until they're stronger.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Considering ESO was never trying to be Skyrim...it ain't difficult feat to achieve.

Really? They did stated that its going to be like Skyrim but co-op instead of an mmo. 

as far as I am concerned anyone who has never tried Wurm or MineCraft should really STFU when talking about what is or is not a sandbox. But that is just my personal view

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    as far as I am concerned anyone who has never tried Wurm or MineCraft should really STFU when talking about what is or is not a sandbox. But that is just my personal view

ill share that view with you.. wurm is outdated tho :P (very)