Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1: Demo Shows Off Latest Features

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new video demo of H1Z1 has been released. In it, Sony Online Entertainment's Senior Designer Jimmy Whisenhunt shows players the latest features to be added to the game that is set to enter its Early Access Launch in the near future. Viewers can get a look at such systems as survival tactics, crafting, new weapons and how weather will play a part in every player's experience.

The video features a look at the gameplay that was shown during the recent E3 convention.

Set in a post-apocalyptic world, H1Z1 is a zombie survival MMO coming to the PC through Steam Early Access. Players must strategize in order to survive a worldwide infection, choosing to either band together or fight against one another in PvP combat.

Check out the video below and let us know what you think.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• This looks amazing.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I just can't get into the "die, start all over" style of game play. It seems so arcade.  Everything else seems pretty cool.  Any non "die,  start all over" servers?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by DMKano

I am loving how completely original crafting is - shirt into scraps, first game ever to do this!

A wooden stick and shirt scraps make a bow - yep I see how this is for SWG crafting fans!

Need arrows? SWG fans rejoice - click a crapton of times on wooden stick and - arrows! Hell yeah. thats what SWG crafting was all about!

Also running around with a full house wooden foundation in a backpack? How awesome is that?

SWG fans, our new home 

You do know swg shut down because only a handful of people wanted to play right? Why should any company make a game that emulates a game that shut down?

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• chocolate-mousechocolate-mouse Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

I am loving how completely original crafting is - shirt into scraps, first game ever to do this!

A wooden stick and shirt scraps make a bow - yep I see how this is for SWG crafting fans!

Need arrows? SWG fans rejoice - click a crapton of times on wooden stick and - arrows! Hell yeah. thats what SWG crafting was all about!

Also running around with a full house wooden foundation in a backpack? How awesome is that?

SWG fans, our new home 

You do know swg shut down because only a handful of people wanted to play right? Why should any company make a game that emulates a game that shut down?

Some heavy snark in that post, not praise Strawhat. ;-)

SWG fans, our new home 

You do know that NGE drove the players away which led to shutdown? You know who came up with NGE? 

So what? It was still shut down, NGE was put in place  because swg was already a lost cause.  SOE tried to bring more to the game, but only a handful wanted to play. Are you really saying that a mmo should stay open even though really no one is playing?

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I just can't get into the "die, start all over" style of game play. It seems so arcade.  Everything else seems pretty cool.  Any non "die,  start all over" servers?

i kind of agree with you here. I like taking risks and have penalties for dying but this seems like an annoyance. I would prefer if they take a Dark Souls-ish death penalty approach instead of the dayz ways of losing completely everything.

Originally posted by chocolate-mouse

SWG fans, our new home 

Some heavy snark in that post, not praise Strawhat. ;-)

I have seen many posts from Kano, I know exactly what he was getting at.

SWG fans, our new home 

You do know that NGE drove the players away which led to shutdown? You know who came up with NGE? 

So what? It was still shut down, NGE was put in place  because swg was already a lost cause.  SOE tried to bring more to the game, but only a handful wanted to play. Are you really saying that a mmo should stay open even though really no one is playing?

NGE was put into place because SoE was utterly clueless on what to do with a sandbox game.

How you came to the conclusion that I said anything about MMOs staying open without any players is beyond me.

You are acting like swg is the best mmo ever, if it was why was it shut down? You bash on SOE for all they did to swg(I agree they ruined it), even though not many people cared for it. Not many people played swg....end of story.

*In the famous words of Dirk Nowitzki......SHUT IT DOWN!!

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Not to play devil's advocate here, but I doubt those are "active" accounts eh? .. so it seems pretty normal that they would grow like this over time..  Any mmo that's been released from some time can produce a chart like that ! Even ESO could over the last few month! :P

And, Eve is also a different beast.. All the players I know have at least 2 accounts.. so, while it gives CCP the same income, it's not a "popular" game (as far as the "popularity" that the suits in AAA studios are hoping for).

--

Regardless, if SoE knows this and have realistic expectations about the number of possible players, they sure can give SWG fan something to chew on !  I'm all for more "niche" games than one to rule them all.. More choice is always good, and the community tend to be stronger,etc.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

SWG fans, our new home 

Just to play devils advocate, Vanilla WoW is technically shut down. Yet Wildstar was still created.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

The game is a work in progress and it looks pretty cool so far. I'm not down with the zombie-pocalypse theme.  If they can make it a bit MORE than that I'd find the setting more interesting.  Would be cool if there was some other supernatural element to it. Maybe it's the Penny Dreadful episode I just got finished watching.

In terms of crafting, the click and things appear automatically is not a good look.  Especially with games like Archeage around where there is some kind of time involvement to making things.  I don't think there should be a progress bar either.  You should see your character crafting.  Also carrying a house foundation around in your bag is lazy on the devs part.  Players should have to carry packs of materials on their back or in their vehicle and transport back and forth to their spot and actually see some sort of building animation and progress.  Players should also be encumbered when they have certain materials in their bag or a certain amount.

It's the little things like that, that will make or break how people feel about playing a game  with a theme that has been beaten to death and brought back (pun intended).

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

It actually looks better than the other stuff out (dayz , rust)

Regardless all the negativity , i think SOE are on to something.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Not impressed by anything seen from this game yet.

For those who do not know, the fact is many feel pre NGE SWG > any other mmo  and that will not change until a MMO gets created with as much depth and complexity (possibly The Repopulation?)

SWG was a success for its time until LA and SOE got greedy and just wanted to emulate WoW and created the mess that drove the death of the game - not only creating the NGE but also releasing (Trials of Obi-Wan) a paid expansion at exactly same time which made most players feel ripped off and getting a refund - this is what drove subscribers to quit and for the game to die and will be forever remembered as one of the biggest mistakes a MMO gaming developer has ever made.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Definitely not impressed.  Nothing to do with being the 'spiritual successor' to SWG.  Just another boatload of SOE crap.  Arche Age crafting is closer to what SWG was and it is still far removed.  So tired of SOE's nonsense.

I hope The Repopulation will save us from all this junk being produced.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Sorry guys, but this game will go the way of Day Z. It will be great out of the gate until the spawn gankers get the hang of how to kill new players, then subs will fall off.

No one likes being killed 30 seconds after you've started the game...

5 times in a row...