Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other MMO's vs. FF XIV ARR

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I wish Defiance (Trion), ESO (Zemax) and all other NA developers would take a lesson out of SE's playbook. Cross platform is the answer not multi-platform. You have to bring your entire fan base together for your game not split them in groups. Also getting 2 million players together for a single given mmorpg sounds great, but across 3 platforms including 80 million PS3s, 7 million PS4s and 400 million mmorpg players....you have to keep things in perspective.

So small fist pump for FFXIV, a sigh of relief that subs are not dead (yet) and a word of caution about shooting down other games in the genre. Mock them if you like, but we need diversity in this genre not divisiveness.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I don't understand why people act like if the subs are not from the West then they don't count. I remember back when Lineage 2 had 2 Million + subs world wide they said the same thing.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Edli
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    If they have 2M subs, they are not players from the west.

Why would you say that? I'm on a US server and is full with players here.

They don't have 2 mill subscribers, they have 2 mil "registered accounts". I also have no doubt that plenty of people play in the west.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    We know one thing that is confirmed, about 500 thousand players are logged in the game daily.  And that aint too shabby 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    welp I guess the troll thing applies to everyone...half the thread went missing lol :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Damn, I actually did research and everything for my reply.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I love this game and I am happy it's doing well, I hope it will do great for many years to come. However the pvp pretty much sucks so as a pvp gamer I had to put this game aside.

PVE is without a doubt one of the best games on the market with a loyal fanbase so this game is going nowhere but to the top in my book.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Does ARR have skillchains or combos between players?
    I'm looking for a game that has complex pve teamwork like ffxi had.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Zones are small and not seamless, combat is way too slow for my tastes, and the majority of quests I found tedious. But the crafting, gathering, aesthetics, day night cycles, weather, sound, music, housing and gardening are some of the best I've experienced. Looking forward to chocobo raising next patch and golden saucer in the future.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Because of its huge following in Asia. 

That's great and all but as I said I'm in a US server and is full in here.

That is what SE thought too when they relaunched ARR. It has huge following in Asia so we'll focus on that. They had a crapload of Japanese servers and only a few US + EU at release. What actually happened is that western servers got overcrowded for weeks. SE thought the same as you are now and they were so damn wrong. The most populated servers today are the western ones.

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    welp I guess the troll thing applies to everyone...half the thread went missing lol :)

I wonder if it was a coincidence that in another thread half of that went missing too...just happens the same poster was in both hmm...

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Originally posted by Thupli
    Does ARR have skillchains or combos between players?
    I'm looking for a game that has complex pve teamwork like ffxi had.

No it is a free for all, SE abandoned attacks that are combined with others in ARR.  It is the polar opposit of XI honestly. It is all about maximizing your rotation.

It is it is more or less WoW's battle system but slower.

To my my knowledge though no game has come close to XI's group combinations, some games have them but not anywhere near XI's level. And You will probally never see it again because it drastically slows the battle system down. And people demand button spammers now days.

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90

The only thing FF14 has going for it, is the awesome story line quest.  Once that's over with, there is no point in playing any more, dungeon grind is awful,  crafting is a challenge until you get the hang of it and start creating HQ crafting gear. Back then I had level 50 in all crafts, not sure if they upped the max or added anything new since December 2013.  I'll give it another go in a year or 2, by that time the story line would have grown even more.   

Contrary to other MMO titles out there, FF14 has the best story line quest and side quests out of any MMO.  But is under par everywhere else.   Dungeons ... beurk!! Worst experience ever!!     And I really hope by now, they changed the EXP lay out of the game? Meaning that it's not all about camping FATE's any more.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamerV2

The only thing FF14 has going for it, is the awesome story line quest.  Once that's over with, there is no point in playing any more, dungeon grind is awful,  crafting is a challenge until you get the hang of it and start creating HQ crafting gear. Back then I had level 50 in all crafts, not sure if they upped the max or added anything new since December 2013.  I'll give it another go in a year or 2, by that time the story line would have grown even more.   

Contrary to other MMO titles out there, FF14 has the best story line quest and side quests out of any MMO.  But is under par everywhere else.   Dungeons ... beurk!! Worst experience ever!!     And I really hope by now, they changed the EXP lay out of the game? Meaning that it's not all about camping FATE's any more.

IMO the dungeons in FFXIV ARR are better designed then any other dungeons in any other games i've played and i've played alot.

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

Gameplay-wise, I live 14. The graphics are the best I've seen in an MMO to date, the dungeons are extremely enjoyable and the soundtrack is downright amazing. The story really isn't bad at all and does have some memorable characters, and the individual classes are pretty cool.

I only have 2 complaints, 1 of which is a pretty common complaint that seems to really hold the game back, the other is just something personal.

1) - The personal one. I can't stand how few face options exist for the Hyur (humans). For males, they are ridiculous, especially the highlanders.

2) - Now for the big one- the community. Since 14's re-release in September, I've played several other major MMOs, and in each one I've noticed that every time 14 is brought up, the conversation moves towards the game's infamously bad community. New players are treated like dirt in endgame dungeons, and it has only gotten worse since the addition of the votekick system. Rather than being used to kick people who are rude/obnoxious/unhelpful, it is used to kick people who want to watch cutscenes, whose gear doesn't meet the standards of a group of friends, or some other inane reason.

Thanks to FF14's main talking point outside of the game usually being its community, the game has felt a real holdback here in the states. :( Outside of that, the game is absolutely amazing.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by vandal5627

IMO the dungeons in FFXIV ARR are better designed then any other dungeons in any other games i've played and i've played alot.

I only ran the first few at launch so I can't comment on endgame dungeons, but with that said, I personally found the dungeons in TSW and Wildstar much more challenging and better designed.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I was unaware of the importance of where a sub comes from.

But I do see your point, but again I highly doubt the A.D.D. NA player base will ever stick to an MMO longer than 3-4 months now anyways, and thats why we continue to see the garbage MMO's from the NA devs. I personally would like to see more asian made MMO's targeted at the asian market, as my gaming tastes are much more inclined to that game style, vs the NA single player online rpg's.

With that said XIV left a really bad taste in my mouth at its first launch. Part of me wants to go back and give it a second shot, but then again, I know I dont like instanced dungeon grinds all that much.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Yeah those were starter dungeons it gets progressively harder and mechanics more complex as you level and very much so at endgame.

If I might ask a question here, because I'm having trouble finding a good search query with a definite answer:

Are the Hard and Extreme modes necessary for Storyline advancement?  Or are they more along the lines of Extra Content for Raider Types (tm)?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Uhm....tons of new pve content every 3 months? New progression content every even patch? If the 2.0 i70 darklight grind was too much for you idk what to say. 

Perhaps for you there is no point but in reality you haven't even scratched the surface of this game if you just said forget it after hitting 50 and realizing you'd have to do some dungeons.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by toddze

I was unaware of the importance of where a sub comes from.

But I do see your point, but again I highly doubt the A.D.D. NA player base will ever stick to an MMO longer than 3-4 months now anyways, and thats why we continue to see the garbage MMO's from the NA devs. I personally would like to see more asian made MMO's targeted at the asian market, as my gaming tastes are much more inclined to that game style, vs the NA single player online rpg's.

With that said XIV left a really bad taste in my mouth at its first launch. Part of me wants to go back and give it a second shot, but then again, I know I dont like instanced dungeon grinds all that much.

For a variety of reasons, it matters where a sub comes from, and more importantly where they are not coming from.

But since making that original ill-thought out comment I'm going to retract and say I don't really know where their subs come from, especially since they have a console version, could be a quite large contingent of players through the platform which I have no knowledge.

Sounds like the game really is quite different from the original experience, so you might want to give it a go, unless like you sdai, instanced dungeon /gear grinders aren't really your forte anymore. (not mine either)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Tolmos

2) - Now for the big one- the community. Since 14's re-release in September, I've played several other major MMOs, and in each one I've noticed that every time 14 is brought up, the conversation moves towards the game's infamously bad community. New players are treated like dirt in endgame dungeons, and it has only gotten worse since the addition of the votekick system.

It has little to do with votekicking and yes I agree, this game compared to every one else I've played has a community that is very hostile towards new players on endgame.

The reason for that is how dungeons are designed. On other MMOs if 1, 2 or 3 players in a party of 8 were below average, if the others were good they could clear it. In ARR however there are some fights in which if one messes up the fight is over. Sometimes is so unforgiving that even some stupid mistake would cause one to be removed entirely from the fight, can't be ressed back. Landslide on titan ex for example.

If you are new to some of these fights you will die, no other way around that and the other 7 will hate you for wasting their time. If you're new I suggest joining learning parties till you're comfortable enough with the fight. 

For me is the opposite. Story is below average, characters are not memorable at all and voice acting is terrible.

I'm staying here for the endgame dungeons. I love them. 

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

Because of its huge following in Asia. Even FFXI to this date gets majority of its population from Asia. On top of that add consoles popularity in japan and lack of good MMO options avilable to them. So yes FFXIV is doing great thanks to Asian players.

and this is bad somehow? 

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by vandal5627

I only ran the first few at launch so I can't comment on endgame dungeons, but with that said, I personally found the dungeons in TSW and Wildstar much more challenging and better designed.

TSW dungeons are excellent but then, given the overall quality of TSW, that's not a surprise

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Whyspre

Because of its huge following in Asia. Even FFXI to this date gets majority of its population from Asia. On top of that add consoles popularity in japan and lack of good MMO options avilable to them. So yes FFXIV is doing great thanks to Asian players.

and this is bad somehow? 

I don't like throwing the word "racism" around loosely, so instead I'll say that for some posters on this site "Asian" seems to be less a geographical designation and more a vague snarl-word.  

Has FF XIV actually released in China or Korea yet anyway?

In any case, it's been repeatedly stated (e.g. in the recent interview with the game director on this site) that the "2 million" figure is "registered accounts" and since it is highly implausible that everyone who ever played the game is still subbed, the number of actual subscribers is probably somewhat less.