Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other MMO's vs. FF XIV ARR

Froggie85Froggie85 Member UncommonPosts: 221

Anybody notice how fantastic this game is doing compaired to ESO and SWTOR, etc.

It still blows my mind how a game that had to be redone, in every way pretty much, Is way better than the games labeled, "The WoW killers".

My god, this game has more premium content in its 10 month life span than SWTOR or any other game, not all, but a big portion of name brand household mmo's.

SWTOR got 1 million subs in 3 day's breaking a record. So how is it doing worse than FF? Their content sucks. I have to read half the time in FF XIV ARR and I feel it is a way better story. How do you spend millions on voice acting just to have a game with little to no voice acting have a better story?

Crafting is superb. Every game need's to do crafting like this.

I could go on for pages with the all the things I love.

I left the game for 2 months for ESO.

What the hell was I thinking?

It feels good to be home.

Look i'm not tooting FF's horn here but in the last producers letter, translated, they stated they had 2 million SUBSCRIBERS. Yoshi-P did NOT SAY REGISTERED ACCOUNTS. 

Has to be more subscribers then they let on.

I'm just amazed how this game has done better than these other mmo's that were rated a 10/10 and best mmo ever, blah, blah, blah. The game failed and almost bankrupted SE. It was stated that if FF XIV ARR failed, the company would shut down.

What game has failed hard core, been hated, redone, re released and still had horrable reception when it re launched, is doing better than mmo's that were born and bred to succeed?

I'm not talking about WoW btw.

Remeber when people trolled us to death and said it was going F2P or would be shut down in a couple months? I do.

10 months later and still kicking ass better than the, "AAA absolute success, WoW killer, blah, blah, blah." mmo.

Just my opinion.

I show love to my games yo'.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

you know why XIV is doing better than a lot of other mmos, besides quality? because SE has realistic expectations and they  surpassed it.

If i remember correctly YoshiP said they only needed somewhere close to half a million subbers to be successful and they got more than that. The rest of the mmos are still blindly chasing wow numbers and pretend to get there with hype only. So they suffer greatly.

Swtor could be doing better if they offered more to subscribers and relieve more restrictions from preferred status. ESO has a long way to go to even join the mmo battlefield. And Wildstar seem to be suffering the same syndrome Rift had. Early success and after a while it will go under a rock.

Right now, VIX is the only sub based mmo i personally want to go back (until Draenor launches). Ill wait for a ps4 sale.

• Froggie85Froggie85 Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

you know why XIV is doing better than a lot of other mmos, besides quality? because SE has realistic expectations and they  surpassed it.

If i remember correctly YoshiP said they only needed somewhere close to half a million subbers to be successful and they got more than that. The rest of the mmos are still blindly chasing wow numbers and pretend to get there with hype only. So they suffer greatly.

Swtor could be doing better if they offered more to subscribers and relieve more restrictions from preferred status. ESO has a long way to go to even join the mmo battlefield. And Wildstar seem to be suffering the same syndrome Rift had. Early success and after a while it will go under a rock.

Right now, VIX is the only sub based mmo i personally want to go back (until Draenor launches). Ill wait for a ps4 sale.

A lot of F2P players left on just principal alone for having Skill Bars and gear locked. I know lots of peeps who would love to play SWTOR and would pay for stuff from the cash shop. But they refuse to play a game that has you, realisicly, forcing you buy your UI componets and gear unlocks. Don't get me started on sprint.

I have never been a f2p player in SWTOR but even I thought that what they did was just flat out wrong. Might chare you for you map or skill tree access next.

I have 3 day's left on SWTOR. I want to return but as it stands, they have to get better than they are now.

FF XIV ARR offers me 100x more and the game has been out 10 months compaired to 3 years lmao.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    I have this game and have been wanting to get back into it. Can someone tell me how you communicate on PS4? I would rather play on the console.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Mandodo69

Anybody notice how fantastic this game is doing compaired to ESO and SWTOR, etc.

This implies it's got more people playing or makes more money not, "I like it better". So how many people are playing it ?

Last I heard they were talking about free to play. Not actually switching but the developers thoughts on free to play and how the markets changed and they may change one day too.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Carnicide
    I have this game and have been wanting to get back into it. Can someone tell me how you communicate on PS4? I would rather play on the console.

Get a USB keyboard to chat

When I played on my PS3 last year I bought a 10 cheap wired keyboard. Never really tried VO. I opted for a massive gaming PC over a PS4 so I don't quite know how they work or if any new features were added.

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

New content patch coming with 3 dungeons and a raid in addition to some storyline content and a 72 man battleground

plus a primal fight with Ramuh.

I think that alone speaks volumes for the quality of this game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

same as the PC. A usb keyboard is natively supported on consoles, plus voice chat. I really hope SONY release the chatpad for PS4 because i have no plans to use a big keyboard on my console.

EDIT: also the Playstation app on cell phones can be connected to the console and it works like a keyboard as well.

Originally posted by DangerNobuo

New content patch coming with 3 dungeons and a raid in addition to some storyline content and a 72 man battleground...

I think that alone speaks volumes for the quality of this game.

Oh god and so much more !!!!

Have you read the full patch notes?

It makes all of SWTOR's patch notes combined look like a paragraph.

I can not think of any game that has done this well in just 10 months after recovering from a huge financial loss and a failure of a game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    If they have 2M subs, they are not players from the west.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Why would you say that? I'm on a US server and is full with players here.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I have FFXIV have not played for a while, but liked the game.  Someone said the combat is as slow as LOTRO and I disagree.  I also love LOTRO, but FFXIVs combat is way slower.  I played other MMOs and came back to ffxiv and it seemed like i was stuck in quick sand.  If they could just speed up the combat a bit I think the game would be close to perfect if you want an older school MMORPG.  I also like you can max every craft / class if you choose to do so on just one toon. 
    Originally posted by jitter77
    I have FFXIV have not played for a while, but liked the game.  Someone said the combat is as slow as LOTRO and I disagree.  I also love LOTRO, but FFXIVs combat is way slower.  I played other MMOs and came back to ffxiv and it seemed like i was stuck in quick sand.  If they could just speed up the combat a bit I think the game would be close to perfect if you want an older school MMORPG.  I also like you can max every craft / class if you choose to do so on just one toon. 

How? It's the exact same 2.5 second global cooldown time. If it is the exact same, how can one be faster?

Dude I love that you can max every class and profession. One of the best features that other mmo's need to learn.

psssst

wanted to share this wit you: http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/676685-ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-2-million-subscriber-milestone

And that was in April and we have even more now. Could you imagine the influx of people that will join because they held out on the rogue/ninja? 

All the servers will be filled.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Edli

Because of its huge following in Asia. Even FFXI to this date gets majority of its population from Asia. On top of that add consoles popularity in japan and lack of good MMO options avilable to them. So yes FFXIV is doing great thanks to Asian players.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    They made a game with a fanbase in mind instead of trying to get whatever they could out of the industry. I compare FFXIV's population to that of EVE, it will stay fairly large and loyal for a long time.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Because of its huge following in Asia. Even FFXI to this date gets majority of its population from Asia. On top of that add consoles popularity in japan and lack of good MMO options avilable to them. So yes FFXIV is doing great thanks to Asian players.

AH. And NA players. JP and NA servers are the same size, but why are almost half of the NA servers full and the JP is not?

You can check the load stone if you don't believe me.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Frankly who cares where they are from.  The fact is with that many it is doing fine, they could all be from Jupiter and I wouldn't care. My NA server is full.

Originally posted by cerulean2012

Frankly who cares where they are from.  The fact is with that many it is doing fine, they could all be from Jupiter and I wouldn't care. My NA server is full.

Mine too lmao

Arent majority of WoWs players asian too? Especially Korean?  Consoles are just as popular in the west too.  And NA servers are very full majority of the time.

They have slightly more servers but if you look at this link each of our servers are more populated than the Japanese ones.

http://xivsoul.com/ click on population to sort from most to least and you'll see that all NA are on top of Japanese.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Arent majority of WoWs players asian too? Especially Korean?  Consoles are just as popular in the west too.  And NA servers are very full majority of the time.

They have slightly more servers but if you look at this link each of our servers are more populated than the Japanese ones.

http://xivsoul.com/ click on population to sort from most to least and you'll see that all NA are on top of Japanese.

You will be surprised to know how many Asians prefer NA servers for playing. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

You will be surprised to know how many Asians prefer NA servers for playing. 

How many?  I see them once in a while but everytime I use group finder even when I select all servers both NA and Japanese I always end up with all english speaking people, so clearly still not that many.  For example on a NA server with about 60K pop there would probably be like 2000-4000 Japanese? 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Who knows? Regardless, there are tons of people in every zone on every servers. That's good enough for me.

Does Japanese players not count as Human beings?  lol
  • AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    One of the things that irritated me about FFXIV when I played it was how much better ranged DPS was than melee. Particularly Bards. Did that ever get fixed?