Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: TESO - The Post-E3 Rumor Mill

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the latest iteration of the US trade event having come and gone, it was natural to expect the bump in volume of rumors that has followed. For various reasons, it doesn't seem as pronounced as it once was. Nonetheless, it's still an annual rite. This time, The Elder Scrolls Online has been front and center.

Read more of Richar Aihoshi's The Free Zone: TESO - The Post-E3 Rumor Mill.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KankanKankan Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Link doesn't seem to be working, anyone confirm.

If TESO went F2P I would then give it another shot.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Of course this will go f2p at some point; we are only speculating on a time line.  
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Yeah the link seems busted

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Of course this will go f2p at some point; we are only speculating on a time line.  

Can't really judge it based on games like TOR or AOC, etc...

They were titles operated by companies under outside investment, their F2P transitions were based on upping profits to pay back those investments. This is a private company that answers to no one but themselves. IF their income meets their demand they have no reason to change their business plan, it's the same situation as FFXIV:ARR.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Nice column *tips hat* to your quality rumor reporting, for real ;) Except for the NPD part. Don't they track hard copy only too? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Now that I was able to read it.

I think a B2P model is much more likely. And I could see that happening before the console releases. I think it could do really well as a B2P and console gamers will be much more likely to accept that.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    B2P seems more like it .Can you imagine the outrage of players who paid over 80 Euros for the Imperial race choice. There will be much anger if it goes F2P.

Originally posted by Dreamo84

I think a B2P model is much more likely. And I could see that happening before the console releases. I think it could do really well as a B2P and console gamers will be much more likely to accept that.

Problem is they still need to overhaul to get there, they'd need a full blown cashshop, they'd need items/unlocks to supplement the loss in subscription revenue, all of this takes away from actually building up and fixing their game.Which the latter is what I view as best for their game.

Originally posted by Distopia

Problem is they still need to overhaul to get there, they'd need a full blown cashshop, they'd need items/unlocks to supplement the loss in subscription revenue, all of this takes away from actually building up and fixing their game.Which the latter is what I view as best for their game.

They can do the Eve Plex or Wildstar Credd system though or the GW 2 gem thing.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by kitarad

Nah no thank you. Keep you $$ to gold conversion schemes out my mmorpgs please! 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by kitarad

They could but does that solve anything though? All that really does is make it so people can grind gold to pay their sub, I don't see how that would attract the B2P or F2P crowd. If the goal here is to bring more people to the game.

I still think their best bet is move forward as they are and improve what needs to be improved.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Who is to say they haven't already been working on that?  Or possibly already had a cash shop in place and ready to go for just in case this very scenario popped up.  If I was a Zenimax Inc owner, I know I would have required them to have contingencies in place during development.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

If you go to the features section you can read it. Oh Nadia  has the right link. Ahh it's a speculative article. Okay then don't panic.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I think sub games have to be extrordinary, ESO is not. I think all f2p games are garbage, yes I said ALL. I think buy to play with the cash shops of any kind omitted is fair. DLC content is fair to pay for, but it had better be amazing. Cod is not irons for over priced dlc and with as agressive as Zenimax is with their pricing, I wouldn't put it past them to try to sell mediocre half cooked dlc at an outrageous cost.
    Originally posted by rodingo

Who is to say they haven't already been working on that?  Or possibly already had a cash shop in place and ready to go for just in case this very scenario popped up.  If I was a Zenimax Inc owner, I know I would have required them to have contingencies in place during development.

It's possible, but with the way game design works, it's not exactly cost effective, or time effective to design things you may never use. Who knows, you may be right, might not, I have no idea.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

If Zen feels the need to make ESO f2p or b2p they will do it regardless what some ppl thinks about. So simple.

Imo b2p or f2p is one way road for ESO.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

As others have already stated, and in support of what Richard has said, I also believe that they are unlikely to abandon P2P before the console launch. It is much more likely that they drop the monthly sub, and add microtransactions.  This would allow them to charge the $60 upfront for the console launch, while still improving monetization. It might also get back some of the PC players who have already bought the product, but didnt want to pay the monthly sub.

The problem that they are going to have is that doing a conversion like this is best done either very slowly, or in one big swoop, with lots of fanfaire. If they worked on the change, and got everything ready, then launched it with the release of the console version, that would be their best bet. Otherwise they face a long slow change, or  the really bad situation of incremental change (which makes no one happy).

The big question is if they can wait for the console launch. If they can get internal support to make the changes, and coordinate with the console launch, then this might work. If they have not started this, and are still discussing it, while working on the console launch, then it is likely too late.

Originally posted by kikosforever

If Zen feels the need to make ESO f2p or b2p they will do it regardless what some ppl thinks about. So simple.

Imo b2p or f2p is one way road for ESO.

I'd love for that to be the case as I do plan to play ESO at some point, why wouldn't I prefer to pay less?

Yet I feel it's as likely as it is with FFXIV. Neither company has struck me as looking at it as "we need to out perform everyone" with these titles, like say EA seemed to be with TOR. Neither company really ever pitted their titles against others in the genre during promotion, like some others, at least that I saw.

Private companies have a luxury some others simply do not, they operate by their own rules, and their own needs, their numbers aren't under constant scrutiny and competition, because they don't have to release any. The only reason they'd need to change anything is if they are failing to profit at a level they need to.

• rahj83rahj83 Member Posts: 77
    It is a niche game. It is not for everyone. It will not go f2p, probably ever. I see it shutting down instead, if it ever has to.

Console versions, I think, will surprise people. I feel the game will actually do better on the consoles. Less competition and unlike what Nicole said, playing with a console controller actually works better. Try it sometime.

Also, the lag issue? It is not an issue here in the states. They should have delayed the European launch like the consoles...at least until they actually host the European servers in Europe. That is honestly where all the hate comes from for this game...well, most of it.

It is not perfect, and I don't see myself subscribing forever, but for now, I stay active and enjoy the game for what it is.

• rahj83rahj83 Member Posts: 77
    Sorry, Nicco not Nicole...silly automatic corrections.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    My bet is on B2P when it happens not true F2P as I think Zenimax will be more comfortable in that model.  I think it might happen with the release to consoles but I still think the odds are less than 50/50 of that.  "Re-launching" the game B2P to coincide with the console launch would gain a lot more traction than trying to launch the console version Sub and switching later.  You would get better end cap coverage and press that way and if done right could very well breath new life into the PC version as well.  All this of course is assuming that Zenimax see's the current trends as a issue.  I don't know how many people have retained their subs or what the real sales numbers including online purchases really is.  Only Zenimax knows that and knows what they want them to be and where the line is where they feel they need to do something different.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I just reached Veteran 1, and started my second faction area.  I am having a great time playing, and I am only 1/3 done with the pve content. .  I think the game offers great story driven quests. They tie into the whole faction story line, and they are fully voiced.  I haven't even stepped foot into the pvp area, which is where I will spend most of my endgame.  I am not trying to sell the game to anyone, but from what I see, the banks areas are packed with people all the time.  I always see a bunch of people at the crafting tables, or  running around every public dungeon/cave that I enter.  To tell you the truth, I think that this game is doing just fine. 

The game is obviously not for everyone, as seen in the forums and reviews.  But for those who like the game, you will not hear much of their positive reviews, because they are busy playing the game. (I'm at work)  Also, I personally cannot stand FTP games.  I pay the monthly fees in every MMORPG, even the free ones.  I hate being blocked out of content in a game. I would just rather pay a fee, and get 100% of a game.   

I wouldn't count out The Elder Scrolls Online just yet.  We have a lot of content to look forward to in the near future. They are adding a pvp dungeon, plus Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, to name a few.  I think this game will be around as a subscription model, for a very long time. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    B2P with expansions DLC like Skyrim did (The Secret World does it the same way and it works fine). A small cash shop like GW2 would help too. I say small cash shop because TES games are all about immersion, If i have to purchase my immersion in a cash shop the game can die in a dark whole, alone.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I have no issues if they go F2P, as long as they seperate those servers from the sub enabled ones. F2P is the bane of MMO society.

Joined - July 2004