Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Other Top 5 Hardcore MMORPGs

Comments

• TechnyzeTechnyze Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Great to see FFXI, the best MMO ever made hands down make it, and lineage 2 as well, my personal favorite open world PvP MMO.

• DaenksDaenks Member UncommonPosts: 6
    If anyone is interested in playing or contributing to Meridian 59 (which is now open source) see openmeridian.org
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by LuposDavalte

Oh really? Classic Pre Trammel Ultima Online doesn't even warrant a mention?

I'm not sure how  you define hardcore.... but UO had some of the most heart pounding moments that I'm confident at least one or two nerds have had heart-attacks.!

Was on the first list.  http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8583/page/2

• SatanixxSatanixx Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Cuppett5
    Bout time AC got some credit. I've been searching for an MMO for years that even compares to that game in its prime. 

Couldn't agree more.  

Played on Thistledown for years and was the greatest gaming experience of my life.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Holy shit. Those games are dated and I remember them... damn Im old.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Although it should probably be pointed out that FF XI got easier and easier, and more generic with each expansion..

The original game was almost kind of ridiculous in the "hard factor".

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Scot

The MMO story has been one of a transition to easymode solo play. Unlike the previous article said it was not just a change of what we wanted, it was where the game designers led us. The solo play was brought in to attract solo game players to MMOs, to make them bigger selling games. Players in the days of DAOC were not all on the boards asking for more solo play.

I wonder if MMORPG.com might consider another top ten? 'The solo games with the biggest multiplayer element' top ten. While MMOs have gone solo, solo games have gone multiplayer. I get more grouping gameplay from Battlefield and Space Marines than I do from a MMO. Solo Multiplayer Online, 'SMO', that's what MMOs are today.

You could always solo in MMO's.....

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Ultima Online... Should be #1 hands down. I am glad it was at least on the other list.. ;)
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Grinnz
    Originally posted by Scot

The MMO story has been one of a transition to easymode solo play. Unlike the previous article said it was not just a change of what we wanted, it was where the game designers led us. The solo play was brought in to attract solo game players to MMOs, to make them bigger selling games. Players in the days of DAOC were not all on the boards asking for more solo play.

I wonder if MMORPG.com might consider another top ten? 'The solo games with the biggest multiplayer element' top ten. While MMOs have gone solo, solo games have gone multiplayer. I get more grouping gameplay from Battlefield and Space Marines than I do from a MMO. Solo Multiplayer Online, 'SMO', that's what MMOs are today.

You could always solo in MMO's.....

Being able to solo was one of the bigger selling points for Asheron's Call. Sure there were plenty of opportunities for grouping, but one could exist as a soloer if they chose to.

I still remember heading out of Rithwic with a pack full of supplies and following lifestones on a tour of northern areas going out killing, and selling excess loot and junk to the random vendors scattered throughout the area. Being out in the field for weeks at a time, running into random people having similar adventures, bouncing from lifestone to lifestone. The exploration in AC was outstanding.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    I still find it silly that people now need SE to make a new FFXI because the company blew the old one up with Abyssea.  I played FFXIV ARR for a couple of months and while it is a good game in it's own right, it just doesn't have the magic FFXI did.
  • redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Its funny how it seems that everyone has their own list, probably based on which games they played the most.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by jdkskip
    Every time I see a "best" list, I always look for Shadowbane to be there. Guess I'm just one of them immensely dedicated fans, lol.

Same here.

• EQOAnostalgiaEQOAnostalgia Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Without EQOA this list is garbage. EQOA was twice as hard as anything on this list! Just because it only lasted 9 years and ran on PS2 doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a spot! It was THE FIRST console mmorpg. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2 will always be my all time favorite game period. You only see a game as a grind if you are not enjoying it. The progression was slow but that's what made the game what it was. Lineage 2 had real pvp and by that I mean pvp that had a major impact on every aspect of the game. Clans controlled everything in the game. The pve was fun because it was a game where people often grouped even though they did not have to. I have yet to see a game since Lineage 2 that's like this.
  • mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23
    shadowbaneemulator.com
  • mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23
    AC 1 Darktide was some of the best PvP ever for an mmo.
  • SerbanSpireSerbanSpire Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Asheron's Call 1 and Asheron's Call 2 will become F2P in one week, on 1st of August so I am excited to try these games out.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Jockan
    Lineage 2 will always be my all time favorite game period. You only see a game as a grind if you are not enjoying it. The progression was slow but that's what made the game what it was. Lineage 2 had real pvp and by that I mean pvp that had a major impact on every aspect of the game. Clans controlled everything in the game. The pve was fun because it was a game where people often grouped even though they did not have to. I have yet to see a game since Lineage 2 that's like this.

Exactly my feelings about L2 for years now. Always nice to see similar thoughts expressed by others who recognized the same qualities in L2 :).

Was an amazing game. I say "was", because GoD gutted everything it once was and replaced it with quest-driven gameplay and a blatantly game affecting cash shop.

• MuffedMuffed Member Posts: 1
    Shadowbane = www.magicbane.com
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i spend years playing Linage II, so i can respond to this article about the Lineage II part.

it's false focusing on the grind part of Lineage II. Actually it was the only negative part of that game cause although it's not bad the grind, but the Koreans overdone it with Lineage II...

This MMORPG is hardcore cause of it's social interaction though PvP. I believe strong that it offered one of the best openworld PvP experiences. when WoW was struggling with the broken RvR and the crashes on 100v100. Lineage 2 offered epic siege battles and fights for area control, on paths, farming areas or dungeon entrances .. The PvP was truly open and the politics around it Hardcore ...

it is sad this article focus on the grind aspect of that game.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lol, you forgot the leading mainstream mmo of the day EQ. The game was as hard as any of the games you listed and is still going 14 years later with content and expansions.

No mmmo comes close.

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    still no Secret World
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    Originally posted by Qiyamatawil
    still no Secret World

As fine a game as TSW is, it is not hardcore. :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

Shadowbane was a hit? Who knew?!

Let's hear it for Meridian 59! Still one of, if not the best MMO I ever played! There's a reason it's still running, even if it is for free/donations :-p.

The problem Meridian had was that it was not on store shelves.  Hence very very few people even knew about the game.  In those days downloading a game was not a viable alternative due to low modem speeds.

At least Ultima Online and later on Everquest had boxes on the store shelves.  So while it may have preceded UO, it was never a hit because of the problems mentioned above.

• GurosanGurosan Member UncommonPosts: 24

oh man, i really do miss shadowbane. that game was so good.

flying birdmen swooping from heaven and killing you with spears and taking all ur monies :P

dem good times^^