Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WS: no sales info but doing well

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    On the ESO forums absence of sales figures indicated that Zenimax was concealing that the game was doomed. Here it means WS is doing OK. Hmmm not two faced at all.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Scot
    On the ESO forums absence of sales figures indicated that Zenimax was concealing that the game was doomed. Here it means WS is doing OK. Hmmm not two faced at all.

Wildstar's Excecutive Producer is making claims about concurrency  (active players)

I agree it's obscure info because it includes guest passes

Zenimax has given zero info about their playerbase

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by JOverlord
    Originally posted by Jockan

I call BS on the article.

I dont think the truth cares what you think.

You mean the truth that the article is complete BS?

That author of that article has no freaking clue what hes writing about EVEN if Mr. Gaffney tried to correct him?

Yup, the truth. Doesnt really care what anyonr thinks.

Originally posted by Nadia

Wildstar's Excecutive Producer is making claims about concurrency  (active players)

And? Game can have better concurrency even if it sold only 20% of what they had in beta.

I would recommend reading with comprehension, but i doubt it will have any effect.

• JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Malabooga

And? Game can have better concurrency even if it sold only 20% of what they had in beta.

I would recommend reading with comprehension, but i doubt it will have any effect.

They also said better than expected. You dont expect to lose money on a product you make so it means right now they are in the green for the project if it keeps up.

Zenimax is getting rid of employees early. You dont do that if a company is doing well.

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222

Not at all as we know that NCSoft will release details in their next earnings call, around August?

My god, just how bitter ARE you and bcbully? ESO bombed and WS seems to have been very well received, even on sites like metacritic, whereas ESO was not.

Just deal with it and move on, like most ESO players have done.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

They also said better than expected. You dont expect to lose money on a product you make so it means right now they are in the green for the project if it keeps up.

Zenimax is getting rid of employees early. You dont do that if a company is doing well.

Correction: They dropped temps early, doesn't mean the company is doing poorly, it means demand wasn't needed for as long as forecast. They would have been let go either way.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

So ESO releases no sales numbers, sells 400k+ physical copies and a unknown number of digital downloads. Yet some on this site will say ESO "failed".

WS releases no sales numbers, sells 0 physical copies and a unknown number of digital downloads. Yet some on this site say WS is "doing well".

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

So ESO releases no sales numbers, sells 400k+ physical copies and a unknown number of digital downloads. Yet some on this site will say ESO "failed".

WS releases no sales numbers, sells 0 physical copies and a unknown number of digital downloads. Yet some on this site say WS is "doing well".

Yes. One company is saying they are doing better than expected, the other is saying they are doing worse than expected. 

Yes. One company is saying they are doing better than expected, the other is saying they are doing worse than expected. 

Link? Sounds more like seeing what you want to see.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Azmodeus
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Superchieftian
    They already beat ESO numbers. Just shows you that even a well known IP cant save a game that is broken.

Proof?

Last time I checked, neither game has offically released numbers.

I guess it's kind of odd.  More so with ESO since it launched 2 1/2 months ago and not one peep from them.  At least the WS devs are giving ballpark figures by comparing with beta and addons.  Not the same as official numbers, granted, but at least it's an idea until they hit the first month mark.  Then we will see if they post anything.  Considering how transparent the Carbine devs are, I'm willing to bet they will give us numbers regardless of how high or low.  All we are getting from ZS is silence.  Why is that?

Why is that?  It is a privately owned company and they do not have to. 

that is because they don't want to.

Exactly.  Of course ZS doesn't have to, but why wouldn't they?  I'm sure the Gaffer didn't have to say anything about WS doing better than expected, 4-5 times the open beta concurrency, etc..but he did.  Carbine could stay tight lipped until a financial report is published, but they didn't.  Again, they are not giving official numbers, but at least they are giving us a hint.  What about ZS?  We get nothing, nada, zip from them but just silence.  Again, they don't have to, but are they not proud of their game and want to let everyone know what a success it is?  Usually people keep quiet about stuff they are NOT proud of. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

And this is direct a result of wannabe journalists who dont have a clue what they are writing about (article in OP)

Even Gaffney had to CORRECT him, but he STILL goes on clueless what he writes about.

They already beat ESO numbers. Just shows you that even a well known IP cant save a game that is broken.

Proof?

I guess it's kind of odd.  More so with ESO since it launched 2 1/2 months ago and not one peep from them.  At least the WS devs are giving ballpark figures by comparing with beta and addons.  Not the same as official numbers, granted, but at least it's an idea until they hit the first month mark.  Then we will see if they post anything.  Considering how transparent the Carbine devs are, I'm willing to bet they will give us numbers regardless of how high or low.  All we are getting from ZS is silence.  Why is that?

Exactly.  Of course ZS doesn't have to, but why wouldn't they?  I'm sure the Gaffer didn't have to say anything about WS doing better than expected, 4-5 times the open beta concurrency, etc..but he did.  Carbine could stay tight lipped until a financial report is published, but they didn't.  Again, they are not giving official numbers, but at least they are giving us a hint.  What about ZS?  We get nothing, nada, zip from them but just silence.  Again, they don't have to, but are they not proud of their game and want to let everyone know what a success it is?  Usually people keep quiet about stuff they are NOT proud of. 

Carbine IS tight lipped as what Gaffney said doesnt  mean pretty much anything and has absolutely no connection to sales or anything.

If WS sold 1 unit it could have better concurrency than in beta (if that one poor soul played 24/7)

And, just for funny comparison: Anet was pretty loud about their numbers, and since both are NCSoft, there shouldnt be any reason why Carbine couldnt be so loud now since NCSoft doesnt really have anything against that, on the contrary.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    we will see WS sales info in mid august  .. nuff said

Proof?

Carbine IS tight lipped as what Gaffney said means pretty much anything and has absolutely no connection to sales or anything.

If WS sold 1 unit it could have better concurrency than in beta (if that one poor soul played 24/7)

And, just for funny comparison: Anet was pretty loud about their numbers, and since both are NCSoft, there shouldnt be any reason why Carbine couldnt be so lound now.

I dont think you know what concurrent means. Concurrent means happening at the same time. 1 player cant be concurrent unless 0 players played during the beta...We know this is not true.

Im guessing this is why you keep wondering what the article is talking about. Google is your friend. 

You are ok with that now? Wouldn't that be a sign of WS not meeting it's target? Just a month ago when concerning ESO you felt that not releases sales numbers was an indication of sales being nothing to brag about.

Originally posted by Mothanos

Any studio selling 1 million copy's in a few days or week is going to release that info as it gets reported as free advertisement and a milestone that this game is selling like delicious waffles.

Not making any statement of sold copy's after 6 or 7 weeks is an indication that it is not meeting its sales target or nothing to brag about.

We live in a simple world where if something is succesfull we wanne be part of it.
    Or at least are motivated to check it out.
    Specialy in the gameing industry where sales are the most importand thing a studio's works for.

Agree

Why the change in stance?

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Proof?

Maybe because they are assessing the launch and tweeking the console version as neccessary?  I wouldn't count ESO's eggs until the console version is launched.  Anyways, ESO could simply have a much higher negative reaction than WS ever could due to the IP.  Played ESO in beta and was just left wanting for a continuation of the TES series and not a watered down MMO version.

Initial box sales really mean crap anyways, it sure as hell didn't do crap for SWTOR.

Proof?

Carbine IS tight lipped as what Gaffney said means pretty much anything and has absolutely no connection to sales or anything.

And, just for funny comparison: Anet was pretty loud about their numbers, and since both are NCSoft, there shouldnt be any reason why Carbine couldnt be so lound now.

I dont think you know what concurrent means. Concurrent means happening at the same time. 1 player cant be concurrent unless 0 players played during the beta...We know this is not true.

Im guessing this is why you keep wondering what the article is talking about. Google is your friend. 

ROFL. 1/1 payer playing 24/7 has 100% concurrency.

In beta concurecy might have been 15% (x/y players x being number of CONCURRENT players y being number of accounts)

Do you need any more basic lessons? Can you comprehend that you have NO base to form any kind of numbes sold on what has been said?

I did say that my "comprehension" line wouldnt be much use, didnt i?

You are ok with that now? Wouldn't that be a sign of WS not meeting it's target? Just a month ago when concerning ESO you felt that not releases sales numbers was an indication of sales being nothing to brag about.

Any studio selling 1 million copy's in a few days or week is going to release that info as it gets reported as free advertisement and a milestone that this game is selling like delicious waffles.

Not making any statement of sold copy's after 6 or 7 weeks is an indication that it is not meeting its sales target or nothing to brag about.

We live in a simple world where if something is succesfull we wanne be part of it.
    Specialy in the gameing industry where sales are the most importand thing a studio's works for.

Agree

Doesnt sounds like a change in stance. They are saying they have more numbers than they did in Beta...That is more than ESO has given us. 

It also hasnt been a month yet.

Proof?

In beta concurecy might have been 15% (x/y players x being number of CONCURRENT players y being number of accounts)

Do you need any more basic lessons? Can you comprehend that you have NO base to form any kind of numbes sold on what has been said?

Thats not concurrency. 1000 players playing at the same time is 1000 players playing concurrently, there could have been 10k that played during beta just not at the same time. So he is saying that 4000 players are playing at the same time.

So thank you for proving you dont know what concurrent means.

What he's saying is this doesn't correlate to much in terms of sales, which it really doesn't, it's still essentially an Open Beta or Trial phase as just about anyone can get a key to try it out.

As usual it's just a bunch of people reading what they want to hear about matters that mean little to an MMORPG. Overall sales will mean jack-all in a year. Maybe even months as an actual community sets in.

Proof?

Thats not concurrency. 1000 players playing at the same time is 1000 players playing concurrently, there could have been 10k that played during beta just not at the same time. So he is saying that 4000 players are playing at the same time.

So thank you for proving you dont know what concurrent means.

ROFL. That isnt concurrency?

You seem to have innate knowlegde of WS inner workings, mind telling us your sources (since thats the ONLY way you could have known ANYTHING about it). Since we all know whats it all about:

I rest my case.

ROFL. That isnt concurrency?

You seem to have innate knowlegde of WS inner workings, mind telling us your sources (since thats the ONLY way you could have known ANYTHING about it). Since we all know whats it all about:

I rest my case.

You want my source of knowledge? Its called a dictionary. 

Ill even look it up for you. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concurrent

Ill even go one further. Ill post what it says.

Full Definition of CONCURRENT

:  operating or occurring at the same time

:  running parallel

:  convergentspecifically :  meeting or intersecting in a point

:  acting in conjunction

:  exercised over the same matter or area by two different authorities <concurrent jurisdiction>

Opperating at the same time....

Agree

Doesnt sounds like a change in stance. They are saying they have more numbers than they did in Beta...That is more than ESO has given us. 

No, we know as of June 7th,  ESO has sold more than 400k physical box copies and even more digital downloads. Thanks for your response, but I was hoping Nadia would respond, since that is who I quoted.

Agree

No, we know as of June 7th,  ESO has sold more than 400k physical box copies and even more digital downloads. Thanks for your response, I was hoping Nadia would respond though, since that is who I quoted.

I dont see where ESO gave those numbers...