Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar Metacritic Scores

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DMKano

Wildstar has not been out for a month. ESO didn't get a single low score from registered metacritic press reviews in the first 2 weeks.

easy to verify w wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20140418153843/http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

one review was critical of the bugs after the first 10 days of ESO - gave ESO a 60

otherwise i agree w you,  it's launch month, too soon to tell with WS

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by DMKano

Wildstar has not been out for a month. ESO didn't get a single low score from registered metacritic press reviews in the first 2 weeks.

easy to verify w wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20140418153843/http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

one review was critical of the bugs after the first 10 days of ESO - gave ESO a 60

otherwise i agree w you,  it's launch month, too soon to tell with WS

An average critic score of 78 as opposed to 86 and an average user score of 6.7 as opposed to 8.3 is hardly comparable is it. Come on, Wildstar has been far better received than ESO from the get go. It's also clear from players reactions in forums such as this that Wildstar has had a much more successful launch and has a far more developed game. And I speak someone more inclined to the ESO type of game to Wildstar.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kitarad

More than anything the thing that worked against ESO was its infamy. It was from a huge IP and it suffered for it. Wildstar is unknown , small and quiet and has no big fan base to piss off. I think even the critics came out in droves for ESO.

Wildstar is not on many critics radar even and it will not get that many critics to review it. It's  a small game and not trying to fill any big boy shoes.

i agree, it helps that WS doesnt have an existing franchise fanbase expectations like ES has

WS does want to play w the big boys

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60921-launch-a-labor-of-love/

How many MMOs have you seen that launch kinda well and then fade off because users don’t stick around?  If we’re going to play with the big boys, we have to earn the right to be one of the few MMOs that can not just draw gamers in, but can earn those gamers’ loyalty over time.  It’ll be hard; it’s a tough market out there and there are giants launching on either side of us.

i think WS will get plenty of attention

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/06/03/will-ncsofts-wildstar-be-the-next-world-of-warcraf.aspx

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/28/5-reasons-disillusioned-mmo-fans-should-believe-in-wildstar

http://whatculture.com/gaming/5-things-wildstar-does-better-than-any-other-mmo.php

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Utinni

Should always be weary of reviews (including the press unfortunately) where they haven't even gotten halfway to max level before rating it. 

Nah.

Create character; experience the hand holding; kill mobs, do quests, PvP, whatever to level. Rinse repeat. During this process character creation; in-game communication; trade systems ....most stuff doesn't change. And review sub-scores for graphics, sound and so forth won't change..

What you can say is that a reviewer hasn't experienced end-game content. Will that really change the review though?

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Utinni

Should always be weary of reviews (including the press unfortunately) where they haven't even gotten halfway to max level before rating it. 

Nah.

Create character; experience the hand holding; kill mobs, do quests, PvP, whatever to level. Rinse repeat. During this process character creation; in-game communication; trade systems ....most stuff doesn't change. And review sub-scores for graphics, sound and so forth won't change..

What you can say is that a reviewer hasn't experienced end-game content. Will that really change the review though?

Imo if WS gets a nice score at early lvl's, then at end game the score will be even better, as it is a game that shines mostly at max lvl content and not that much in the lvling process.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Just 4 professional reviews in at this point, things can still change considerably.

imageimage
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Wildstar isnt my cup of tea, didnt really like it (as it is now). ofcourse like always.. subjective opinion, nice to see its getting well-recieved though.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Rated WS a 6 and ESO a 5, stand by both of those grades.

I hope the game does well, it can only help the industry. But I just don't see it. The dungeons and adventures are fantastic but that's it. The solo play is ho hum and the PvP is not my cup of tea.

I would be shocked if this game was still relevant a year from now.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think this game is gonna blow up.

Definitely, it's not that fun or as awesome as peeps claiming it to be, initial launch hype lets call it, once the shiny wears off it'll be the old story of doom and gloom as they return to wow. You heard it here first, the writing in on the wall.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Husvik
    Originally posted by Foomerang I think this game is gonna blow up.
    Definitely, it's not that fun or as awesome as peeps claiming it to be, initial launch hype lets call it, once the shiny wears off it'll be the old story of doom and gloom as they return to wow. You heard it here first, the writing in on the wall.

Sorry for the misunderstanding but when I said "blow up", I meant take off in the direction of WoW like numbers. Of course, your prediction could come true as well ;)

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Personally I think 86 is a little high at the moment. All the 10s skew the ratings badly on metacritic, I don't think a single game ever released has been a 10 out of 10.

I feel more comfortable with it being around 65-75 imo. It's a great game and good change of scenery for WoW players, but until the combat issues and performance issues are fixed I don't think an 8/10 is in order. Now once they patch the game here over the next few months I think it could easily be an 86.

Really enjoying the game, but I think people need to be a little more honest with their reviews.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I think the playerbase is going to drop once they get to endgame and experience firsthand the difficult content that requires 20 and 40 people.  Already I hear a bunch of whining about how the regular dungeons are too hard for a lot of people.

This game is marketed towards hardcore players and it's no big secret that this subsection of a game's population is very small.  As long as Carbine has accounted for this then the game should be fine.  If they have enough other content in the game that casuals or non-raiders can participate in on a regular basis then that's good as well.

Originally posted by nbtscan
    I think the playerbase is going to drop once they get to endgame and experience firsthand the difficult content that requires 20 and 40 people.  Already I hear a bunch of whining about how the regular dungeons are too hard for a lot of people.This game is marketed towards hardcore players and it's no big secret that this subsection of a game's population is very small.  As long as Carbine has accounted for this then the game should be fine.  If they have enough other content in the game that casuals or non-raiders can participate in on a regular basis then that's good as well.

Except for the deep housing and crafting, huge open world to explore, tons of quest types, path system, rival list, warplots, bgs, and arenas...yeah its just a raiding game heh.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I think the playerbase is going to drop once they get to endgame and experience firsthand the difficult content that requires 20 and 40 people.  Already I hear a bunch of whining about how the regular dungeons are too hard for a lot of people.

This game is marketed towards hardcore players and it's no big secret that this subsection of a game's population is very small.  As long as Carbine has accounted for this then the game should be fine.  If they have enough other content in the game that casuals or non-raiders can participate in on a regular basis then that's good as well.

Well said nbtscan.. You can solo in this game, however your going to have a hard time getting certain quests done unless you make friends or have a nice guild to be part of.

Anyways..

Let's just see where the developers take this game after a few months,will they dumb down content for the solo players even more? Also everyone criticizes a monthly fee on mmo's today, WS will be no different than the rest. The only company I still see to pull this subscription base off will be WoW, since they really don't need to make their game f2p due to their loyal clientele.

Other than that, good game so far, but still far from a 10. In my experience the game still needs to be optimized. bots destroyed and some quests are still bugged since beta. And  as long as Carbine listens to the player base problems, you will have a loyal following to this game or then again, you may just have a niche crowd of hardcore gamers.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    About ESO vs WS...these games are still in their infancy, MMO's are ever evolving products, anything can happen between now and shutdown. Look at TOR, it saw the same type of reception ESO has, with the same type of negative stigma leading up to launch, again due to a preexisting fan base and the baggage that came with that. Today it's running strong, with proper additions coming quite regularly.

Judging an MMO's merits based on a few weeks to a couple months of metacritic scores is extremely shortsighted. I'm not sure why people get caught up in the X-v-Y BS TBH. Especially those who get up in arms about folks trashing this or that game..

I hope both do great during the long haul.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Just 4 professional reviews in at this point, things can still change considerably.

There are 471 player reviews, which isn't too shabby for a game that just released.  It's at 8.2 for player reviews.  It's not that often that both the player and commercial review scores are in the green.  That is something of an accomplishment in itself.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Distopia
    About ESO vs WS...these games are still in their infancy, MMO's are ever evolving products, anything can happen between now and shutdown. Look at TOR, it saw the same type of reception ESO has, with the same type of negative stigma leading up to launch, again due to a preexisting fan base and the baggage that came with that. Today it's running strong, with proper additions coming quite regularly. Judging an MMO's merits based on a few weeks to a couple months of metacritic scores is extremely shortsighted. I'm not sure why people get caught up in the X-v-Y BS TBH. Especially those who get up in arms about folks trashing this or that game..I hope both do great during the long haul.

Agreed. Especially with a game like this where they launched with so much content. Its impossible to give a proper review. The limited amount of content I have experienced so far is quite well done. Like I am kind of floored at how well made this game is. But I have not seen even close to every thing, which makes me both excited and reserved in my final opinion of this game.

Comparing games is ok, but what I see a lot is not so much comparisons but rather volleys back and forth. If I wanted to compare ESO vs Wildstar, Id have to actually play the game first, right? Doesn't seem to stop anyone around here though haha.

About ESO vs WS...these games are still in their infancy, MMO's are ever evolving products, anything can happen between now and shutdown. Look at TOR, it saw the same type of reception ESO has, with the same type of negative stigma leading up to launch, again due to a preexisting fan base and the baggage that came with that. Today it's running strong, with proper additions coming quite regularly.

Judging an MMO's merits based on a few weeks to a couple months of metacritic scores is extremely shortsighted. I'm not sure why people get caught up in the X-v-Y BS TBH. Especially those who get up in arms about folks trashing this or that game..

Pretty much hits the nail on the head imo.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Agreed. Especially with a game like this where they launched with so much content. Its impossible to give a proper review. The limited amount of content I have experienced so far is quite well done. Like I am kind of floored at how well made this game is. But I have not seen even close to every thing, which makes me both excited and reserved in my final opinion of this game.

Comparing games is ok, but what I see a lot is not so much comparisons but rather volleys back and forth. If I wanted to compare ESO vs Wildstar, Id have to actually play the game first, right? Doesn't seem to stop anyone around here though haha.

Well said.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Problem
    Originally posted by kikosforever

Reviews started for WildStar. Until now both Players and Critics gives relative high scores.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wildstar

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

Enough said?

Or

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Agree

We need good games. Not for companies but for us, the players. We pay, they dont make us favors. They dont give us free stuff. Games are products and we are paying customers, so they must deliver them in a good state. I dont think we will forgive a company who sold us a crap electric device or a car :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Except for the deep housing and crafting, huge open world to explore, tons of quest types, path system, rival list, warplots, bgs, and arenas...yeah its just a raiding game heh.

Housing is just fluff and most use it as a time killer and not content and sure as hell not endgame content

Crafting in all MMOs with the exception of EVE have all been crap really as raiding or endgame dungeons far surpass what crafting offers.

Lots of quests types..... yeah...... quests are SOOOoooooo on the top of peoples list at lvl cap.

Path system.... an alternative to questing.  Don't know the extent but GW2 made the same bold claim with events and look where that ended.

rival list.... who really gives a crap bout you rival?  Most want to log in and have fun and care less what another is doing unless the scope is on the lines of EVE.

Warplots, BGs, Arenas.... pvp stuff which if PvP is you main focus you're sure as hell not playing WS as there are much better PvP alternatives out there.

Soooo..... you provide bout zero meaningful PvE content that would make up if the raid philosophy turns out to flop.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Reviews started for WildStar. Until now both Players and Critics gives relative high scores.

Enough said?

Or

The quality and popularity of those games is consistent with their scores.

uhhh huh... so your saying that SWTOR deserved a 9 rating in both "professional" and user reviews?  Where the game went F2P in a matter of months.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Enough said?

Or

The quality and popularity of those games is consistent with their scores.

I can't agree with this statement, both GW2 and TOR had very rocky starts, and while things are improving now, I don't see how either game got any critical acclaim at release personally unless there was some money that changed hands.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

From reading this thread, I can deduce two things.  

1. People really like Wildstar and wish to talk about it with others.

2. People really hate hearing people talk about games they enjoy. 

MY DAD / RELIGION / SPORTS TEAM CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD / RELIGION / SPORTS TEAM.

I enjoyed FFXIV, WoW, ESO, and WIldstar. I must be whacky!