Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness - the inside story on the death of a game

GarlonaGarlona Member Posts: 4

A Long and detailed article from The Guardian newspaper with some insightful testimonies about the inside of CCP (mis)managments, their creative vision, lack of camaradery and more. And of course, The Death of WoD. 

A little sneak peek:

'Coders had to throw work away again and again'

For the coders there was a constant state of flux. “Almost every system in the game was designed, built and tested at least once, most of them multiple times,” says one gameplay programmer. “Some of the systems were reportedly pretty cool; they had never been seen in MMOs before. The problem was that, without a cogent vision, none of it gelled. There was no clear path towards ‘done’.

"So the team just ended up building stuff and throwing it away, over and over again. It's something I saw on Eve and Dust as well - the teams would build a feature, then be told by management to make ‘small changes’ which necessitated a full, back-to-square-one rewrite.”

One manager couldn't answer questions on gameplay or focus. I remember him standing over the shoulder of a programmer putting his finger to his lips and saying 'No - make it more... psssshhhh’

Here we see what some of us following the development process of the game suspected and/or didn't want to believe, or also some of us who simply continued to have faith in spite of every morning being grimmer than the last. Either way, it turned out badly.

Please read throughly and judge as you see fit. The info is what is important here: CCP's terrible managment and overboard visionary facepalming madness. Without further adue, the article itself. Good evening.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

We read about it last week in this thread here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/414262/CCP-a-one-trick-pony.html

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Well I for one enjoyed that read and totally missed that thread from last week (vacation).

So thanks to you both.

Garl for starting this thread, and Kyl for linking to last weeks so that I can read all the comments.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Aye, I missed this as well. Thanks. Good read.  Not surprising either. Looking back at all the big problems this company has had and how out of touch certain higher ups can seem at times. Almost snobbish. Then to be so vulnerable. So much so that  time and again they have been dropped to their knees and put into submission by their customers.  Just funny.   It really is.

You got these big badass bigwigs and things like the HTFU song which trended. Then to get dropped like bitches time and again over the years. It's almost like they enjoy it. Sick bastards probably do. lmao! No not bashing CCP. I have respect for them for doing their own thing. I just find how stuff tends to go with them.. Well...    It's just funny.  Good entertainment.

Like watching a dysfunctional family go at it. It's awkward to watch but at the same time you can't look away so might as well enjoy the show.

• GarlonaGarlona Member Posts: 4

Thanks to Kyleran for the clarification, the "one trick pony" title kinda slipped under my radar. To the rest,  I'm glad it got through more people as well; spreading the news is important.

PD: HTFU was a good song, and to be fair to this company that demonstrated to have serious flaws, before the heavy mistakes they actually where the embodiment of that song. A shame really.

Edit: Kyleran, not "Kyrelan"

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

why. WHYYY!

this was my absolute #1 title

CCP ^_^