Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why limited skill bars are a good thing

12345679»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by Naevius

Limiting your skills in any single encounter adds strategy to tactics - not only do you need to know how to use the skills you have, but you need to plan ahead to make sure you have the skills you need.

The design concept goes back to spellcasters in pen and paper D&D, who needed to pick which skills to memorize.

The problem is that this ISN'T the case in modern pve focused MMO's.

It is the case in D3 .. which is close enough to a pve MMO with instanced dungeon runs. May be MMOs should learn a thing or two from D3 about skill designs.

(and just that if you don't know .. highest sheet dps means little in D3 when burst, elite dps, AOE dps, channel vs moving, CD reduction on important skills, situational dps, and defense are all important.)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Naevius

Limiting your skills in any single encounter adds strategy to tactics - not only do you need to know how to use the skills you have, but you need to plan ahead to make sure you have the skills you need.

The design concept goes back to spellcasters in pen and paper D&D, who needed to pick which skills to memorize.

First off every damage dealer regardless of how many skills they have will be taking the highest damage output.

Limiting skills also completely takes the skill out of learning how to use the skills you have like you mentioned.  The whole challenge of doing that is when you have an overwhelming amount of skills at your disposal and have to learn when and how to use them properly, when you limit it to a single digit number you take all of that away.

If we are talking about a game with no resistances, damage types, range considerations, attack positioning or other elements of combat outside of strict DPS, then you are correct. 

Soooo like I said every modern PVE focused mmo out right now. 

Resistances and damage types that actually effect class-play haven't been a thing in a long time. Each ability has its own range that you can hit the boss or player from, or in wildstar case each class has its own telegraph size that you can hit with.  75% abilities don't have specific position requirements other than say the dragoon/monk in FFXIV or the rogue/monk in WoW that benefit from using certain skills on the behind or flank of a mob. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Resistances and damage types that actually effect class-play haven't been a thing in a long time.

Uh? Have you played D3? There is the big debate on wiz forums about fire vs arcane, and all sort other other non-DPS related efficiency issues (for example, using a weapon with multiple damage type to trigger passive skills or gear bonus).

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Resistances and damage types that actually effect class-play haven't been a thing in a long time.

Uh? Have you played D3? There is the big debate on wiz forums about fire vs arcane, and all sort other other non-DPS related efficiency issues (for example, using a weapon with multiple damage type to trigger passive skills or gear bonus).

This is fairly off topic to the point I was trying to get across but D3 is actually a good example of how elemental damage types on gear can effect the skills you bring, but I don't consider it an MMO by any stretch and the only reason that system works in that game is because it isn't a true mmo.  For those reasons I have not kept it in mind when making any of my previous comments which is also why I didn't respond to you the first time. D3 would never be a prime example for the discussion because we're talking about limited skill bars in MMO's versus other forms of class skill layouts and how they apply to raiding content, open world content, pvp etc which is content not found in d3.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

This is fairly off topic to the point I was trying to get across but D3 is actually a good example of how elemental damage types on gear can effect the skills you bring, but I don't consider it an MMO by any stretch and the only reason that system works in that game is because it isn't a true mmo.  For those reasons I have not kept it in mind when making any of my previous comments which is also why I didn't respond to you the first time. D3 would never be a prime example for the discussion because we're talking about limited skill bars in MMO's versus other forms of class skill layouts and how they apply to raiding content, open world content, pvp etc which is content not found in d3.  

There is little difference between a D3 MP game, and a 5-man dungeon run in a MMO. And that is little difference to make it a 10-man raid vs a 5-man dungeon.

How is it not possible for a MMO to adopt an elemental damage system like in D3? Tell me one reason why you cannot have 5 types of elemental damage in a raid. I don't see any.

There is little difference between a D3 MP game, and a 5-man dungeon run in a MMO. And that is little difference to make it a 10-man raid vs a 5-man dungeon.

How is it not possible for a MMO to adopt an elemental damage system like in D3? Tell me one reason why you cannot have 5 types of elemental damage in a raid. I don't see any.

Can't really take you seriously after that one, but here's your one reason: D3 is a game based around farming legendary items that make certain spells in your spellbook more powerful or weak depending on the element this only works because of how limited the amount of skills you have out at once is, its a very boring design with no depth. Oh got this legendary? Now spell A or more powerful than spell B and i get to spam that woohoo!!!  MMO's aren't designed like that. Good ones atleast.  Most also follow a holy trinity, which would counter everything about d3. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Can't really take you seriously after that one, but here's your one reason: D3 is a game based around farming legendary items that make certain spells in your spellbook more powerful or weak depending on the element this only works because of how limited the amount of skills you have out at once is, its a very boring design with no depth. Oh got this legendary? Now spell A or more powerful than spell B and i get to spam that woohoo!!!  MMO's aren't designed like that. Good ones atleast.  Most also follow a holy trinity, which would counter everything about d3. 

May be they should. If you change the D3 lobby into a 3D city, there is practically no difference between that and a modern MMO. MMO should learn from D3 design.

And why would we need holy trinity in all games? D3 MP dungeon runs work well without it.

May be they should. If you change the D3 lobby into a 3D city, there is practically no difference between that and a modern MMO. MMO should learn from D3 design.

And why would we need holy trinity in all games? D3 MP dungeon runs work well without it.

Did you see what happened with GW2? That's why. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Did you see what happened with GW2? That's why. 

What is the problem with GW2? In fact, isn't it an example of that MMOs don't need the holy trinity. Heck, no more waiting for a healer to show up on your LFD .. and i chalk that up as a GOOD thing.

• woodyflywoodyfly Member UncommonPosts: 62

I love a huuuge number of spells at my disposal, it makes me feel like I'm truly in control of the game. My most enjoyable experience was in aion with the spiritmaster. A pet class that could solo dungeon content bosses IF you play it PERFECTLY. There was not a second to rest. Juggling between doing damage, timing potions, dispelling cc, healing pet, managing aggro between pet and myself, managing mana, it was so satisfying to control every aspect of a battle.

Nowadays they come out with these goddamn console inspired games where you repeatedly spam one button for end of days and faceroll every generic mob. I got ffxiv and I've been spamming my 'stone' spell for 6 hours straight which has a 2.5 GLOBAL COOLDOWN. I can't believe people play this sht...

First off every damage dealer regardless of how many skills they have will be taking the highest damage output.

Clearly no true for Diablo 3 (close enough to MMOs).

zero-DPS monk is a good example of NOT taking highest damage output.

Gearing for CD (instead of raw DPS) is another example.

And even damage output is not just one number. There is burst, single-target, AOE, which takes different skills combo.

Originally posted by woodyfly

I love a huuuge number of spells at my disposal, it makes me feel like I'm truly in control of the game. My most enjoyable experience was in aion with the spiritmaster. A pet class that could solo dungeon content bosses IF you play it PERFECTLY. There was not a second to rest. Juggling between doing damage, timing potions, dispelling cc, healing pet, managing aggro between pet and myself, managing mana, it was so satisfying to control every aspect of a battle.

Nowadays they come out with these goddamn console inspired games where you repeatedly spam one button for end of days and faceroll every generic mob. I got ffxiv and I've been spamming my 'stone' spell for 6 hours straight which has a 2.5 GLOBAL COOLDOWN. I can't believe people play this sht...

So you argument is that your preference? Well, other people have different preferences too.

I feel MORE challenging and fun to have a meta game about what builds to use, and how to gear it than just having 20 buttons at my disposal whenever i fight.

I can't believe people don't understand their way is not the only way.

• woodyflywoodyfly Member UncommonPosts: 62

So you argument is that your preference? Well, other people have different preferences too.

I feel MORE challenging and fun to have a meta game about what builds to use, and how to gear it than just having 20 buttons at my disposal whenever i fight.

Nowhere did I say that my way is the only way. I simply stated what my preference was.

Nowhere did I say that my way is the only way. I simply stated what my preference was.

Except you have to belittle others' preferences by saying "I can't believe people play this sht..."

I can't believe people don't understand their way is not the only non-shitty way.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    To the op, the idea is good and bad to me. One of the reasons I can't really get into GW2 is because of this. As I level, I like to get new things or adjustments to old abilities. Yes, I like the idea that some skills will carry to cap, but every now and then its good to get something new. To me it just signifies that all the leveling I did was worth doing. One skill system I do like is rifts. Since they do give the option to manually scale down, they also scale down your max skill damage while allowing you to use your high level skills. Which does draw me to the manual scaling (abit off topic, sorry), which I feel is a good idea to implement into more games. If many of these games just paid more attention to each other and stopped trying to compete with wow, it would lead to more success in my opinion. The only thing that can kill WoW, is honestly WoW itself. Releasing games as "wow killers" only makes people more inclined to return to wow at some point.