Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's with the most potential?

2»

Comments

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    I honestly don't think it's the games that matter anymore.  Most games are fun by themselves.  I think what ruins virtually all MMOs are the players.  If people just tried to have a good time, if they weren't general entitlement-happy douchebags racing to end-game, then they'd be fun to hang around with and play with.  Most aren't though.  Most MMOs that I log into, I immediately turn off the chat and try to ignore the people because I'd rather gouge my eyes out than read what's going on.  The games can be fun.  The people suck.

Agree with this 100%

Any new mmo is the worse too. But yeah any adult mmo players i know these days all turn off the chat and play solo. Or if they know people in RL that play,play only with them. Non of them even join guilds anymore unless its with people they know or form a small guild with only RL friends. They all miss when mmo's were niche and not mainstream like they are now. To many buttheads in  tn them now.

Seems i with 44 didnt reach adult stage yet.

No matter what mmo i try/play i allways pay attention to chat, look for a random guild and try to comunicate with random ppl around the game world, me and other rl friends all with 40+ .

But i can ignore or give attention to others based on their behave and slowlly start to chose wich who i wanna play. Its one cool thing about playing mmorpgs

On topic, I see alot of potencial in many games released in last years and in paper yet, how they going to grow is impossible to imagine, devs are hable to do the most weird decissions during the publish of a game.

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I honestly don't think it's the games that matter anymore.  Most games are fun by themselves.  I think what ruins virtually all MMOs are the players.  If people just tried to have a good time, if they weren't general entitlement-happy douchebags racing to end-game, then they'd be fun to hang around with and play with.  Most aren't though.  Most MMOs that I log into, I immediately turn off the chat and try to ignore the people because I'd rather gouge my eyes out than read what's going on.  The games can be fun.  The people suck.

Agree with this 100%

Any new mmo is the worse too. But yeah any adult mmo players i know these days all turn off the chat and play solo. Or if they know people in RL that play,play only with them. Non of them even join guilds anymore unless its with people they know or form a small guild with only RL friends. They all miss when mmo's were niche and not mainstream like they are now. To many buttheads in  tn them now.

So freakin true...

During ESO beta, I was doing my first dungeon run ever... It was beta remember. We got to last boss in spindle, I got hit by a red circle as I was right next to the mob when it started firing. I ran back but not in time and died. Guy rezzed me right when another red circle came and I died again. Guy tells me to L2P, HELLO its BETA ffs. We exchanged words that basically ended with me being bad at life lol. This stupid elitist mentality needs to go. It's destroying any pleasure in any game anymore. 

I really need to join a multigaming community heh. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by mogi67
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    ESO, WildStar, and EQ:N. Everything else is cookie cutter, misses the point of the genre, or has nothing to offer more players to give it a shot.

ESO isn't a next gen game and brings nothing new to the table. Same with Wildstar

How do you figure? ESO's class system gives the largest amount of customization I have seen, the PvP/RvR is top notch and comparable with DAoC, and Craglorn offers the first end game experience I have seen in a themepark that doesn't involve raiding. It's not the most ground breaking game to come out, but it moves the genre forward past the quest hub to raiding mentality.

WildStar takes everything WoW did right and adds different playstyle paths with unique quests, that has never been done before. Factor in Warplots and 40 man raids and you have a truly unique MMO.

I just don't get this mentality, if you can't find anything enjoyable in any MMO, why bother playing them to begin with?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Destiny?

If it is successful, devs will rethink whether they want to do traditional MMO or not.

The Division as well, IMO.

If Destiny and then The Division do really well, along with games like The Crew, Drive Club, Forza Horizons 2...

This whole sub-genre of MMO-like open world ish co-op online RPG type games- whatever you want to call them.

May have a significant impact on the MMO genre as a whole.

I believe the real challenge will be to make these kind of games feel as seamless and vast in scale as a more traditional MMO. So it's going to be all about how large and open the open areas are, how dynamic/random the interaction with other players in this open world will be, and how many loading screens you've got to sit through between "private" areas and these open ones.

what are you talking about? Traditional MMO like WoW is not seamless. You have to click a button to do LFD/LFR or whatever pvp instances you are going to. That is better than chatting 15 min, then walk 10 min to go into the "game" but still a drag.

The innovation of Destiny is to bypass all that. You are ALREADY in your own world/instance ... and you will seamlessly match with other players without you doing a thing. And you will never be overcrowding a dungeon (so that camping will be necessarily), and it will not interrupt story/quest or whatever gameplay you are doing.

I think this idea is independent of whether the game is open world, or restricted by levels, as long as the interaction is fun.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Destiny?

If it is successful, devs will rethink whether they want to do traditional MMO or not.

It would do better if they had PC release too.  I have no clue why you wouldn't want to include a PC release.  You're missing automatically at launch millions and millions of potential customers.  This fundamental flaw in their business design worries me more than anything else about the game.  I refuse to buy a console for this generation.  Unlike previous generations, the new generation is so underwhelming.  My desktop has more power than all 3 consoles combined lol.  Then you add in the practices of the companies behind them (excluding Nintendo, they seem to not want to rape your wallet), and you got a perfect storm brewing.

I agree. I think Destiny will be successful but i probably won't play it until there is a PC version. I have a perfectly good gaming laptop and i can play the latest console games (if there is a pc version) on it ... I am certainly NOT going to buy a console for one game.

Division may have a PC release though.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Maquiame
    Pathfinder Online, I seriously ask and beg anyone interested in sanboxes to check that game out. Its truly taking sandbox play to another level and I am really interested in seeing what becomes of it.

I agree! This has real potential!

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Pathfinder Online only thing that I expect to see in the U.S anytime soon that I have real interest in now. I have yet to hear/see anything aboyt Pathfinder that I don't like. EQ, don't like the graphics "style" and loath $ony so don't trust that'll turn out decent. Nothing else currently. Despise moba's and pseudo-MMO's. Anything pvp I've always found to have the most loathsome "communities" and without decent community you don't have a good MMO.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by tplaj123

So what do you all think would be the MMO with the most potential.. i am not talking about games which are already completely finished and have a huge player bace, but smaller ones, with a game that we could see really become one of the big games over the next few years?

I would love to join one of these and watch the games grow and try to contribute as much as i can as i start to get back into the MMO/RPG based games.

I post this because recently i started playing a game called 'perpetuum' and really thought that it had huge potential, so thought, there must be more little gems out there.
    --------
    Tplaj123

start following the "Black Dessert online", the "No Man's Sky" and finally the "The Division", all of them are worthy for different reasons and all of them cover different themes from sci-fi to casual fantasy, from sandbox to themepark they are truly interesting

Black Desert is a medieval fantasy half themepark half sandobx, with a huge depth into pvp and economy, its devs made their own graphic engine, their own publish company and they do this they want. Also their graphic machine delivers amazing graphics with low requirements, also already found publisher Russia who confirmed that wont have IP block ...

No Man's Sky is an indie true sandbox with a procedural world, pure sci-fi almost space opera like EVE, but not so dark and cruel (at least the visuals you dont know how it will end :P )

The Division is a close future post-apocalyptic themepark which delivers an extremely polished NewYork which you have to save and your actions will change the environment but anyway its good cause it's has innovative UI, real life world, gorgeous graphics (also they build their own graphic engine.. )

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Badaboom

You guys really need to check out Darkfall.  AV just released the patch that does away with the class system and you are now able to pick whatever skills you want.  Allowed 8 role skills + 1 ultimate skill.  This allows for you to create a build similar to the old Guild wars 1 system.

The dev's have done a complete 180 and are dedicated in trying to make Darkfall into the best sandbox that you can play.  In a few weeks, AV thinks they will be ready to release a bunch of new siege equipment, like catapults.

I've always enjoyed my time in Darkfall, but since this latest "jesus" patch I have had the most fun in a long time of playing....any game.

PS:  This weekend AV is offering a double prowess weekend and until Monday, June 16, players who purchase Darkfall will get 30 extra days with the sub (60 days total!).

Does Darkfall have a PvE only server???

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Skyforge! Something about it just.....IDK. It just does.

Watch this:

Devoloper Q&A

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Xenoblade Chronicles X is an RPG that is going to have online elements. Diablo, DOTA, and LOL are all mentioned on this site. Xenoblade Chronicles X is going to be better than those so it's the only game I'm looking forward too.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Unfortunately, the "potential to be the next WoW" is quite frankly not a kind of potential I give a rats ass about.
  • LunsheaLunshea Member UncommonPosts: 59

Agree with this 100%

This. So agree. And it's not the ingame chat that is the worst. Jump in to any game forum to look for advices, news, builds or simply to discuss your favorite game with like-minded...all you find is "Why I quit"-, "How can I have a refund"-, "this game suxxor"-, "You ruined my life"-posting from top to bottom. As you say, buttheads and spoiled brats have taken over. Most games are fun by themselves, but apparently the most fun is the game forum PvP.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

IMO there is only one and that would be Everquest Next.  If they can deliver on a tenth of what they've promised I think it'll revolutionize the genre.  Or at least I would like to think it will.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• LunsheaLunshea Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by azzamasin

IMO there is only one and that would be Everquest Next.  If they can deliver on a tenth of what they've promised I think it'll revolutionize the genre.  Or at least I would like to think it will.

Agree. I can't describe how excited I am about EQN. I pray to the mmo gods...

• JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100

In my opinion the mmorpg with most potential is Fallen Earth, since it is not tab+target game, you have to aim yourself and you can succeed in PvP very well if you just out aim your opponent, but that potential sadly will never be reached since it has alot of exploits and those exploits have become normal amongst the try hard PvPers exploits that has been in the game since release and the devs do not seem to care enough, but with little work that game could become very good aim based combat mmorpg. Sadly there really are not many mmorpg's with combat that requires you to really aim (no AoE's, or any lock on targets or cone effect) it brings alot to the game and it doesn't get boring when you can improve your aim instead of just smashing the same ol' buttons in same order. Ofcourse that being said majority of the games pvp crowd seems to be relying on 2handed melee and low resolution (makes it easy to hit targets) and just hoping to land massive critical hits instead of actually trying to aim, but still good aim wins over anything in that game.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

agreed :)

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

potential doesn't matter, doesn't matter which game it is, it only has to do with whom you play with. Any mmo could be fun if your sitting on skype with a few friends. This is the key ingredient for every game.

Then we can debate on which game we like the most cause I play GW2 and I can't think of any other mmo that I want to play unless all my friends come with me then sure I could switch game.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by mogi67
    ESO, WildStar, and EQ:N. Everything else is cookie cutter, misses the point of the genre, or has nothing to offer more players to give it a shot.

ESO isn't a next gen game and brings nothing new to the table. Same with Wildstar

How do you figure? ESO's class system gives the largest amount of customization I have seen, the PvP/RvR is top notch and comparable with DAoC, and Craglorn offers the first end game experience I have seen in a themepark that doesn't involve raiding. It's not the most ground breaking game to come out, but it moves the genre forward past the quest hub to raiding mentality.

WildStar takes everything WoW did right and adds different playstyle paths with unique quests, that has never been done before. Factor in Warplots and 40 man raids and you have a truly unique MMO.

I just don't get this mentality, if you can't find anything enjoyable in any MMO, why bother playing them to begin with?

well you can comercialize any game and make it sound good. ESO I thought only offered less of everything to make it unique, no action house, slow slow leveling so it would take time to reach your V cap and for there PVP/RVR it has been done before in many games and for the no end game raiding is something that most games offer but they also offer raiding so don't get the unique part there either. But if you think it's fun then sure but thats just a matter of taste like everything else.

Wildstars "unique" quests start of with this !!!!! couldn't be less unique then that. I remember the 40 man raids in Vanilla WOW and that was nothing more then kaos and they were smart enough to get rid of them in wow. But if it's the number of players that appeal to you in 40 man raid then you should play GW2 were they have a 150 man raid. Otherwise I see Wildstar as WOW with GW2 mechanics in an ugly setting badly optimized.

But the point is not to bash these games I peronally hope they do well and will be online for many years to come with a huge playerbase. If they didn't have a sub I could se myself play them if my friends were with me and this is and will always be the single most powerful key to make any mmo work, are my friends there?