Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: What's the Big Deal About Glyph?

124»

Comments

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90
    ArcheAge was a great idea when more details became available in 2008, but a whole lot has changed since then, from P2P to F2P P2W cash shop.   AA will be just as bad as Atlantica Online, not in the short run, but in the long run, it will just be a heavy money sink.   And it's quite a shame, because AA's 2008 version was suppose to be WoW's main opposition, but not any more.     Oh and a few posts over me, some people mention that AA has ALOT to offer, that's true, but with a cash shop price tag on it. :)      That's the difference between P2P and F2P, my advice, to those who got the 150$ package, just demand a refund, if you just got in to AA within the 3 last years, then you have no idea on how badly the game has changed and dissolved.  
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Snakester95
    Originally posted by steelwind

I just don't understand how you can say that a Sandbox game "hasn't grabbed you" when it sounds like you haven't even experienced a single sandbox feature?! For most, that would be the driving factor to find out but you seem to have lost interest without even getting there. So if the drive has never been to experience the sandbox what was it? As others have said, seems as though you came to AA from themeparks, played it like one, then condemned it.

As I have told others many times, until you experience the sand, you have no right to comment. Journalists are supposed to comment on facts and in a unbiased manor. Your bias is toward themeparks which is why there was no drive on your part to experience the sand and as a journalist reported a biased incomplete view. So this equates to until you have all your facts and can base them on actual experience, you have no right reporting on them until you have at least some balance to your opinions. So do us all a favor, build a house, ship, farm, trade, treasure hunt, etc. Something.....anything besides only questing. Until then please stop writing about Archeage.

You haven't been following my column have you? This column is not a review, it's a news recap and an opinion on the game. At no point did I say I dislike themeparks and dislike ArcheAge. I said ArcheAge hasn't grabbed me "yet", emphasis on yet. This is a column to cover what's going on with the game and my experiences, not an article to say ArcheAge is the best game ever and I love every single feature of it. This is also not a review, this is a column, that has biweekly posts to continue providing updates on what's going on with th game and my opinion. I reported my opinion on the parts of the game I've experienced thus far, at no point did I state that ArcheAge is a bad game or that I even dislike it.

Also, I didn't give up, I just said I've been demotivated by the questing, which the majority of players in the alpha have stated they don't like. Therefore, it's like walking in mud to get to the sandbox features. Anyone would walk slow. Overall, before you shoe your biased opinion down other people's throats, try to understand what the column is. Take a moment to look at the other posts in my column, half of it includes news and the other half if my opinion. Prior to now my opinion has been mostly positive of the game and nobody has an issue with that. Of course not, why would they? So when you say, "...you have no right", "...a biased incomplete view", guess what, this article is supposed to contain my opinion. Try not to understand that your opinion isn't the only one that matters.

Maybe it's just me, but Steelwind didn't sound confused. He KNOWS the article is your opinion on the game, but what he is saying is how can you post an opinion on things you haven't experienced yet.

As for the other half of this post, as a person who is neither a fan nor a hater for the game and stumbled to the article due to the mention of Glyph, your article does come across as an extremely biased rant on a game you don't like. I guess its nice that you tried to clear some things up in later posts on this thread, but let's be honest here, in no way can the article be classified as quality journalism (even though you stated in a another post that you did only what a journalist is supposed to do). Not much news was recapped, no real information given, and did not really cover what's going on in the game as you says it does. It came across as one long bash, at first of platforms, and then Archeage itself. In fact, the two halves of the article didn't even mesh together well. Maybe that's not how you intended it to be, but that is definitely how it comes across. Notice, most of the ones who are defending you, are the same ones who actively bash the games on the forums.

• nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    my only complaint about this article is the constant use of grind fest, i started last week and never play more then 1-2 hours a day depending on work and today i just hit 38 and competed in a few wars. guildwars 2 is more of a grindfest then archeage and you can solo too 80 in that game easy as well.
  • Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by nondogg13
    my only complaint about this article is the constant use of grind fest, i started last week and never play more then 1-2 hours a day depending on work and today i just hit 38 and competed in a few wars. guildwars 2 is more of a grindfest then archeage and you can solo too 80 in that game easy as well.

There's no way you got to 38 from just 1-2 hours a day already =P I've got over 40 hours in at least. Have you been playing with a group of people, that could potentially be it.

Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    Originally posted by steelwind

I just don't understand how you can say that a Sandbox game "hasn't grabbed you" when it sounds like you haven't even experienced a single sandbox feature?! For most, that would be the driving factor to find out but you seem to have lost interest without even getting there. So if the drive has never been to experience the sandbox what was it? As others have said, seems as though you came to AA from themeparks, played it like one, then condemned it.

As I have told others many times, until you experience the sand, you have no right to comment. Journalists are supposed to comment on facts and in a unbiased manor. Your bias is toward themeparks which is why there was no drive on your part to experience the sand and as a journalist reported a biased incomplete view. So this equates to until you have all your facts and can base them on actual experience, you have no right reporting on them until you have at least some balance to your opinions. So do us all a favor, build a house, ship, farm, trade, treasure hunt, etc. Something.....anything besides only questing. Until then please stop writing about Archeage.

You haven't been following my column have you? This column is not a review, it's a news recap and an opinion on the game. At no point did I say I dislike themeparks and dislike ArcheAge. I said ArcheAge hasn't grabbed me "yet", emphasis on yet. This is a column to cover what's going on with the game and my experiences, not an article to say ArcheAge is the best game ever and I love every single feature of it. This is also not a review, this is a column, that has biweekly posts to continue providing updates on what's going on with th game and my opinion. I reported my opinion on the parts of the game I've experienced thus far, at no point did I state that ArcheAge is a bad game or that I even dislike it.

Also, I didn't give up, I just said I've been demotivated by the questing, which the majority of players in the alpha have stated they don't like. Therefore, it's like walking in mud to get to the sandbox features. Anyone would walk slow. Overall, before you shoe your biased opinion down other people's throats, try to understand what the column is. Take a moment to look at the other posts in my column, half of it includes news and the other half if my opinion. Prior to now my opinion has been mostly positive of the game and nobody has an issue with that. Of course not, why would they? So when you say, "...you have no right", "...a biased incomplete view", guess what, this article is supposed to contain my opinion. Try not to understand that your opinion isn't the only one that matters.

Maybe it's just me, but Steelwind didn't sound confused. He KNOWS the article is your opinion on the game, but what he is saying is how can you post an opinion on things you haven't experienced yet.

As for the other half of this post, as a person who is neither a fan nor a hater for the game and stumbled to the article due to the mention of Glyph, your article does come across as an extremely biased rant on a game you don't like. I guess its nice that you tried to clear some things up in later posts on this thread, but let's be honest here, in no way can the article be classified as quality journalism (even though you stated in a another post that you did only what a journalist is supposed to do). Not much news was recapped, no real information given, and did not really cover what's going on in the game as you says it does. It came across as one long bash, at first of platforms, and then Archeage itself. In fact, the two halves of the article didn't even mesh together well. Maybe that's not how you intended it to be, but that is definitely how it comes across. Notice, most of the ones who are defending you, are the same ones who actively bash the games on the forums.

Regarding your first bit, I didn't give my opinion of the whole game. I gave my opinion and supported it with plenty of other people from the game on the themepark elements of the game. As I haven't experienced all of the sandbox elements, I didn't say a single thing about them in the article. I briefly mentioned the farming, but I have farmed before, so it's not like I didn't experience that.

Regarding the second bit, the news recap was Glyph, that's Trion Worlds which is publishing/developing ArcheAge in the West as we know. Therefore, when Trion releases a launcher/platform/digital store for their titles and others, that tends to include Glyph. I offered my opinion and plenty of others on Glyph while also stating clearly what it is. Although, I felt it wasn't as much of ArcheAge as I would prefer, since the developers haven't stated anything new in the past week regarding ArcheAge. So I then went into the other discussion to keep a flair of ArcheAge specifically still in it.

Anyway, I did precisely what the column is supposed to be for, regardless of how people may feel toward my opinion. Also, I don't care who's defending me, they're welcome to do whatever they wish whether they like or dislike the game. If there had been news released on ArcheAge chances are I would've mentioned Glyph and ArcheAge specific news. That wasn't the case, so I did my traditional article setup. Glyph for news, "What's the big deal?" for opinionated content and experiences. Another issue lies with the fact that my editor changed the title of my article making it seem as if Glyph was the only focus of the article.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

Snakester95  - This game has something for everyone. Perhaps you can give the game another chance and actually play outside of the questing hubs. Questing is not a requirement, you can level up from crafting and gathering items found from exploring the landscape. The questing and story line seem to exist to help provide training wheels for sandbox MMO challenged individuals. It is my opinion that most themepark fans ether haven't experienced a well done sandbox title, or are simply sheep that need a line drawn in the sand to follow.

If you have access to the game still, hop back in, join a guild, hang out with real people and have fun. Once you reach level 30+ and have your own clipper, perhaps a farm and killed a few folks, come back and post another review(opinion).

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Anyway, I did precisely what the column is supposed to be for, regardless of how people may feel toward my opinion.

Biggest issues in your column as far as I am concerned were

1. half the article was on the launcher which I look at for maybe 10 seconds while  you blow off the farming aspect which is a complex system that affects almost every other aspect of the game with a "I don't get why people seem to like it" . Seems like your total experience crafting and mining consisted of doing the first tutorial quest.

2. you trashed the lore and storyline which unless you read speak Korean you have no clue as to what you were writing about. Not that I expect it to be LoTRO quality lore/writing but I will wait until the English version to judge at least

I miss DAoC

Anyway, I did precisely what the column is supposed to be for, regardless of how people may feel toward my opinion. Also, I don't care who's defending me, they're welcome to do whatever they wish whether they like or dislike the game. If there had been news released on ArcheAge chances are I would've mentioned Glyph and ArcheAge specific news. That wasn't the case, so I did my traditional article setup. Glyph for news, "What's the big deal?" for opinionated content and experiences. Another issue lies with the fact that my editor changed the title of my article making it seem as if Glyph was the only focus of the article.

I know it may be hard hearing critical views of your work, but try re-reading it with fresh eyes. The article is disjointed at best, and bordering on pointless even without the title.  It's like reading two different articles, neither with much of a conclusion, pasted together.

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Anyway, I did precisely what the column is supposed to be for, regardless of how people may feel toward my opinion.

1. half the article was on the launcher which I look at for maybe 10 seconds while  you blow off the farming aspect which is a complex system that affects almost every other aspect of the game with a "I don't get why people seem to like it" . Seems like your total experience crafting and mining consisted of doing the first tutorial quest.

2. you trashed the lore and storyline which unless you read speak Korean you have no clue as to what you were writing about. Not that I expect it to be LoTRO quality lore/writing but I will wait until the English version to judge at least

1. I've done plenty of minor crafting and mining, I haven't focused specifically on it, since I was generally following the questline and then gathering whatever I came across. Rather than farming an area for a specific ore for example. I mentioned the farming briefly since in my opinion it doesn't seem appealing. Although I do understand how it affects the economy as a whole. The actual farming process is rather simple, but I can agree with you on how it affects other aspects of the game.

2. I didn't trash the lore, I said what other people are saying and noted that it's what other people are saying. "...People have even stated that the lore and story following the questline hasn't helped." Currently which I mentioned to you already I believe, it could have very well been a different reply to someone else though, the majority of the game is already translated. The only thing is occasional cutscenes that aren't translated. None the less, I didn't say anything about the story or lore personally.

Originally posted by zimike

Snakester95  - This game has something for everyone. Perhaps you can give the game another chance and actually play outside of the questing hubs. Questing is not a requirement, you can level up from crafting and gathering items found from exploring the landscape. The questing and story line seem to exist to help provide training wheels for sandbox MMO challenged individuals. It is my opinion that most themepark fans ether haven't experienced a well done sandbox title, or are simply sheep that need a line drawn in the sand to follow.

If you have access to the game still, hop back in, join a guild, hang out with real people and have fun. Once you reach level 30+ and have your own clipper, perhaps a farm and killed a few folks, come back and post another review(opinion).

Zimike, I do still have access so I'll try and focus more on the sandbox elements. Where would you suggest starting, not that I'm a noob on crafting and what not. As I'm thinking about it I'm trying to think what I should be doing or want to focus on, but I guess that comes down to preference more than anything on a profession. Trying to think what resource or region I should hit up and then go from there, but I'll figure it out. For the record though, I have played and do prefer sandbox titles as opposed to themeparks. I'm the sort of person that likes to start with nothing and work my way up to building something crazy. Probably not the best example, but I used to have a ton of fun with Haven & Hearth, a relatively simple MMORPG, but a fun sandbox title.

Regarding the second bit of your post, this isn't like my final review of the game, I still have plenty more to experience with I stated in the article.

Originally posted by Jadedangel1

I know it may be hard hearing critical views of your work, but try re-reading it with fresh eyes. The article is disjointed at best, and bordering on pointless even without the title.  It's like reading two different articles, neither with much of a conclusion, pasted together.

For the record, in many of my comments I've stated to continue commenting for the sake of me being able to improve my article and experience with ArcheAge. Therefore, taking criticism isn't a vulnerability of mine. It's supposed to be split this way, like I mentioned, the issue is that fact that Glyph is a bit far fetched since this is an ArcheAge column. But it is certainly still loosely connected. The issue still lies with the title and people that don't follow the column.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

1. I've done plenty of minor crafting and mining, I haven't focused specifically on it, since I was generally following the questline and then gathering whatever I came across. Rather than farming an area for a specific ore for example. I mentioned the farming briefly since in my opinion it doesn't seem appealing. Although I do understand how it affects the economy as a whole. The actual farming process is rather simple, but I can agree with you on how it affects other aspects of the game.

2. I didn't trash the lore, I said what other people are saying and noted that it's what other people are saying. "...People have even stated that the lore and story following the questline hasn't helped." Currently which I mentioned to you already I believe, it could have very well been a different reply to someone else though, the majority of the game is already translated. The only thing is occasional cutscenes that aren't translated. None the less, I didn't say anything about the story or lore personally.

Originally posted by zimike

Zimike, I do still have access so I'll try and focus more on the sandbox elements. Where would you suggest starting, not that I'm a noob on crafting and what not. As I'm thinking about it I'm trying to think what I should be doing or want to focus on, but I guess that comes down to preference more than anything on a profession. Trying to think what resource or region I should hit up and then go from there, but I'll figure it out. For the record though, I have played and do prefer sandbox titles as opposed to themeparks. I'm the sort of person that likes to start with nothing and work my way up to building something crazy. Probably not the best example, but I used to have a ton of fun with Haven & Hearth, a relatively simple MMORPG, but a fun sandbox title.

Not that you asked me but at the very least I would get your large scarecrow which will get you into farming and producing goods. This will require you to finish the scarecrow quests. This will also get you familiar with trading as it will be required to get your scarecrow. I would also recommend you build at least your speedboat so you can experience the naval aspect of the game and finally get your small house (16x16). Doing these three things will have a big impact on your impression of the game and more importantly give you a much more rounded opinion of it.

Regardless of the criticisms you are getting, I commend you on your attempts to iterate your position. Many would have just ignored them and moved on.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Snakster, people on this site are not used to read an article that is not pure praise and hype about anything that is related to Trion.

Despite all their titles having failed in one way or another, this website has for long been Trion's #1 propaganda page on which "everything Trion" has always been totally awesome, original, innovative and exciting.

Glyph wil go the same way everything that Trion touched went and that is down the drain.

• seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by seraphynx
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I didn't read the article, but some of these posts are quite boggling, I mean I love a sandbox as much as the next fan of them, but that doesn't excuse poorly designed PVE/questing..etc.. in any way. Poorly designed content is poorly designed content, wth would I play through it if it's poorly designed and admittedly boring?

then don't there is no requirement to quest to 50.. a lot don't find it that boring especially once you get ot the PVP zones it's better than Teras(which isn't saying much) I found it on par(maybe little below) with basic themepark questing ie wow and such lot of kill x quests.. In games like Tera you really have no other options but to suffer through the horrible questing or grind BAMs.. in AA you have several options as pretty much everything you do gives XP.. just questing is faster so most go that route.. The under and over achiever aspect of questing is very nice though

But the early questing teaches you all the basic of farming, building, gliders, mounts so it's worth doing the early stuff to learn the basic systems

XP from PVP? IF so it could be bearable.

taken from official forum about the changes coming from the US version of 1.0 which is pretty differen't from the korean one overall(they mostly went through and dropped all the major changes that drove the korean version into the ground)

•PvP now grants XP rather than serving no purpose outside of fun and honor during war times.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

For the record, in many of my comments I've stated to continue commenting for the sake of me being able to improve my article and experience with ArcheAge. Therefore, taking criticism isn't a vulnerability of mine. It's supposed to be split this way, like I mentioned, the issue is that fact that Glyph is a bit far fetched since this is an ArcheAge column. But it is certainly still loosely connected. The issue still lies with the title and people that don't follow the column.

Honestly Jeffrey I really do not think this game will ever grab you. That is neither a slam on you or the game. It's just that you did not  cut your teeth on MUDS and Raph Koster. For example over on the Archeage forums do you understand why the Developers are taking the stand they are in this post http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?11628-Scapes-Please-Trion!-Please-limit-Scarecrow-Farms-to-1-each-per-account-to-server!&p=145057#post145057

I would wager that you came into MMO's either during or just post WoW when questing was a big part of any MMO and never experienced the almost questless worlds of SWG and DAoC at their launches. Once again no slam on you here but you look at the quest/dungeon/raid  as a major part of the game whereas to me I could care less. I can totally agree that in AA the questing sucks, but any more any game's questing sucks. There are only 2 quests in any game - find and destroy xx number of mobs or move you character to coordinates XYZ and click on the quest signal That is determined by the very nature of these games

For me in AA  the questing is simply a way to get gear and scarecrows and learn the PvP aspect of the game. The real game will begin when I get my first fishing ship. My goal is to be a land baron with a mansion.  Don't care If I ever see the inside of a dungeon or do another instanced scripted raid.  Pretty sure you don't see the fun in that either but no matter, it's ok

I am much more interested in the PvP and economic avenues that this game offers than any silly quest, scripted dungeon or repetitive raid. If that is what I wanted in the game the market is overflowing with good choices.

AA is different and will not be for everyone, I just hope Trion keeps its integrity and does gravitate toward more dungeons and instanced raid content at the expense of the sandbox aspect. The vanilla Alpha AA reminds me of a half a dozen of the old school games rolled into one with updated graphics. I see bits of UO, Eve, DAoC and SWG in it with the Naval battles and pirates as the sprinkles on the cake.

If I want to play a follow the breadcrumbs to the instanced raids game I will go play TESO, GW2, or any of the other new school games. They do that wonderfully well with some light weight PvP tacked on for the ride

I miss DAoC

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

man you talk about Glyph or Archeage ?

i thought the are separate things ..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

I don't know why not following the column would negate anything I said, but for the record, I actually do read the column every week (same as I read most articles posted on MMORPG.com, whether I play the game or not). So I still stand by my words.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

O.K..  So,  you're complaining about having another game launcher(because having more than one is too complicated/hard work?) for a game you aren't going to play?

Even if someone did change the title on you, imo still not a very well written piece.  Having said that it would be nice if you could re-visit the game after beta(closed or open) with fresh eyes(a sort of 'what archage offers a themepark fan'),  as I see pretty much this attiitude in eve and other sandboxes aswell and would make a pleasant change if on of the said themepark fanbois could approach the game properly(for lack of a better word) and give their measured opinion(even if they doon't like said game).

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Tbau

I will not be playing Archeage if it requires a store client to play. In fact, I will no longer play Rift if it requires a store client to play. I already stopped giving Trion my money when the rumor of Glyph becoming a store started and will not give this company another dime until I know for sure they are not going to try to force this crap onto me. GoG will be taken off my go to list when Galaxy rolls out as well.

There are enough non-client digital store options out there for me to pass on these companies pulling this crap...even if it comes down to there only being Amazon digital, I will just use them. Anyone that doesn't use a client will get my business.

The blurb says galaxy is purely optional.

• Azmyth33Azmyth33 Member UncommonPosts: 6

so you are saying that going from quest hub to quest hub makes for a boring game.  Guess what Jeff you just described almost every MMO that is on the market. I wish I read and spoke Korean like you do because I have not a clue what the storyline is about being that all of the cut scenes etc are in Korean. Or is your main complaint that the game does not give you a pirate ship along with noob armor at lvl 1 ?

While you are considering that can you name all of the MMOs available that offer a crafting and , commerce, PvE, PvP from 1 on 1 duels to large scale realm vs realm complete with castle sieges, player placed and free form decorated housing, ships varying from rowboats to large warships with fishing and pirate boats tossed in not to mention the hang gliders, mounted combat, farm wagons, automobiles, underwater farming and exploration complete with treasure maps etc etc etc.

Now you don't get all that by following breadcrumbs from quest hub to quest hub, it does take a little effort and it will not happen by level 10, but then I am not real big on instant gratification and do not mind  working a bit for the things I want to acquire ingame

Not saying AA is perfect by any means but I just find it funny reading all the complaints about how all the new games are WoW clones then when one comes out that offers a lot of other player options the  writer plays the game like  WoW and complains it is boring because at lvl 5 he did not get a pirate ship as a quest reward. Of course perhaps that is the only way the reviewer has ever played an MMORPG so he can be forgiven

Well said.  I think your spot-on.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    You get an ass at level 15 in Black Desert... 
  • mhnordmhnord Member Posts: 2
    Black Desert is coming to NA AA is now irrelevant. Unless of course Trion is the mystery NA publisher in which case never mind. 
  • seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Azmyth33

so you are saying that going from quest hub to quest hub makes for a boring game.  Guess what Jeff you just described almost every MMO that is on the market. I wish I read and spoke Korean like you do because I have not a clue what the storyline is about being that all of the cut scenes etc are in Korean. Or is your main complaint that the game does not give you a pirate ship along with noob armor at lvl 1 ?

While you are considering that can you name all of the MMOs available that offer a crafting and , commerce, PvE, PvP from 1 on 1 duels to large scale realm vs realm complete with castle sieges, player placed and free form decorated housing, ships varying from rowboats to large warships with fishing and pirate boats tossed in not to mention the hang gliders, mounted combat, farm wagons, automobiles, underwater farming and exploration complete with treasure maps etc etc etc.

Now you don't get all that by following breadcrumbs from quest hub to quest hub, it does take a little effort and it will not happen by level 10, but then I am not real big on instant gratification and do not mind  working a bit for the things I want to acquire ingame

Not saying AA is perfect by any means but I just find it funny reading all the complaints about how all the new games are WoW clones then when one comes out that offers a lot of other player options the  writer plays the game like  WoW and complains it is boring because at lvl 5 he did not get a pirate ship as a quest reward. Of course perhaps that is the only way the reviewer has ever played an MMORPG so he can be forgiven

Well said.  I think your spot-on.

very much agreed as well great post:)

• ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Not a popular article with the mmo base. It seems immersion isn't something you like.
  • KrebonyKrebony Member UncommonPosts: 1

You all are extremely rude about his opinions. I appreciate being able to find an article that doesn't always praise one game. Different opinions are normal, I don't see how it was a "b*tch fest". All he said was that he didn't like the grind but hoped to be able to push through it so that he could start in with the good stuff. In this sense, Archeage sounds a lot like Rift. You have to grind so much to be able to do more of the fun activities in game, however I've been able to stick with Rift for months now that I got the grind out of the way - longer than any other game I've tried out.

Simply put, it's just an opinion. There's no reason to start telling him he's wrong for it, it's just how he feels about the game so far.