Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: What's the Big Deal About Glyph?

Comments

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

what is this.. the crysection of the site? :D

Anyway.. playing Archeage, i absolutely hate grinding.. nonetheless i LOVE it. (btw.. the EU/US version, the eastern versions both are horrid :P)

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ZodosZodos Member UncommonPosts: 12

I played the russian version and liked the game a lot. I'm not easily "hooked", it's been a while since a game made me play that much. The questing is not annoying, it's.....questing. Lineage II had a grind-fest questing at the beggining - that was annoying -, AA's is ok; I got to lvl 20 in a week.....and I don't play many hours a day. I stopped because I just wanted to test the game, when the ob comes to the west I'll get in again.

I agree, the farming is boring, but that varies from player to player, I like housing, but it'll never be a priority to me.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    I don't understand the topic of your article at all. what are you trying to say exactly? i think we random players in this forum already established that the best thing about AA are : pvp, farming, ships, crafting and gathering. why did you even bother writing about mediocre pve content(which the game devs don't even advertise or care about providing in a quality form) when we random players already established that it is crap? you have to go through them; yeah everybody did but they are not moaning over it, get a grip on yourself, you are writing column in mmorpg.com for goodness' sake.

Maybe its because some of us aren't hardcore players that have already wasted $150 to alpha test and would like to know more both the good, and the bad, rather then have the bad parts swept under the rug by the fanbios and a sugar coated dream version posted as fact?

• girdisordergirdisorder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Ohhhh, I get it. This post is reverse psychology... Trying to keep the weak minded complainers out of ArcheAge. Got it! *wink*
  • seraphynxseraphynx Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by jesteralways
    I don't understand the topic of your article at all. what are you trying to say exactly? i think we random players in this forum already established that the best thing about AA are : pvp, farming, ships, crafting and gathering. why did you even bother writing about mediocre pve content(which the game devs don't even advertise or care about providing in a quality form) when we random players already established that it is crap? you have to go through them; yeah everybody did but they are not moaning over it, get a grip on yourself, you are writing column in mmorpg.com for goodness' sake.

Maybe its because some of us aren't hardcore players that have already wasted $150 to alpha test and would like to know more both the good, and the bad, rather then have the bad parts swept under the rug by the fanbios and a sugar coated dream version posted as fact?

Pretty much anyone will admit AA questing is mediocre at best..AA is not a PVE focused game so that should be no shock to anyone..it's better than Teras questing and Tera is a pve game so go figure...
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This is the first article I've read on here that literally doesn't have a point.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Questing is pretty boring in any game where the main focus of the player is reach lvl cap, and like  describe in article is exactly what you are doing. "quest hub to quest hub to reach the funny part...", playing that way i agree, its boring.

About farming, planting and gather is not fun watched as a single feature isolated, farming is cool in AA because is connected to other stuff in-game, need to craft some gear? check what u need, make a plan and start seeding to minimize the cost of craft. Need to build something?, check what is need, make a plan, and start produce whats necessary, etc.

IMO is not fair talk about a single feature in AA isolated from the rest of the game because everthing is connected. I didnt know the necessary of a house (thought it was only a cool feature) untill i need to craft my lvl 40 gear, then here we go, get the house plan, check what is need it, seed, gather and construct the house, then craft he gear and staff.

This is just my opinion ofc.

Edit: post befor end writing by mistake. Anyway, dont agree with this article and the way the game is analyzed, but opinions are opinions.

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

What a surprising article.  You're paid to write an article about a game that you state you don't like, that's just as bad as a fan boi in reverse.  I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion, but if you're trying to find great value in a quest grind part of a game, I mean really?

AA is one of those peel back the layers as there is more depth than appears on the surface.  If you're just questing, you're missing alot.

Hopefully MMORPG will get another opinion from someone that has tried the farming, crafting, PvP, etc.  The depth of the crafting is interesting from a crafter stand point alone.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I played the Russian version for about 1 month. With the translator it was doable. I liked the world and the combat was not anything new but it worked. As much of the cut scenes were still in Russian I skipped through them and focused on game play and other content. 

I too was not impressed with what was offered. After a month I became disconnected with the game and finally uninstalled it. I may give it a go when Trion launches it, but nothing that compelled me to fork out early access money.

Originally posted by NobleNerd

I played the Russian version for about 1 month. With the translator it was doable. I liked the world and the combat was not anything new but it worked. As much of the cut scenes were still in Russian I skipped through them and focused on game play and other content. 

I too was not impressed with what was offered. After a month I became disconnected with the game and finally uninstalled it. I may give it a go when Trion launches it, but nothing that compelled me to fork out early access money.

Did you experience any of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5SmngEy3fQ

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ3VaN3mIyI

or just get with a group of friends and do silly crap like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwLZSi7I-Q

fun times:)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I forsee the future of gaming, you have to launch steam to launch another platform exactly like steam to launch another platform exactly like steam to launch another platform exactly like steam to to launch another platform exactly like steam to launch another platform exactly like steam to to launch another platform exactly like steam to launch another platform exactly like steam to to launch another platform exactly like steam to launch another platform exactly like steam to to launch another platform exactly like steam to launch another platform exactly like steam in order to play 5 hours later :D

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    If they post an article about liking a game they get flamed, if they post a complaint they get flamed. Should they even bother posting articles?

So what you are saying is, because there are different people who hate or love a particular game, MMORPG.COM should not write articles about said game?

How about growing a thicker skin and realise that there will always be people who does not like a particular article.

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    If they post an article about liking a game they get flamed, if they post a complaint they get flamed. Should they even bother posting articles?

So what you are saying is, because there are different people who hate or love a particular game, MMORPG.COM should not write articles about said game?

How about growing a thicker skin and realise that there will always be people who does not like a particular article.

my take is someone who dislikes or likes something will have a bias one way or the other.. for someone to write a weekly column for a game why should it be someone who dislikes said game.. isn't there enough negativity in every single thread on this site that we need more from the staff?

• OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Bill - Did this get by your desk unchecked?
  • GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    I see only one reason for this glyph......if it gives  additional block security for botting this would make sens .
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

What I really have trouble getting behind though is the farming. I can understand people farming in order to help them get resources for other parts of the game, but man, the amount of people that have told me their favorite part of the game is farming throws me off. -  Jeffrey Lerman

This statement here shows that you will probably never recognize the good points of this game. This is not your game dude, just find something else that is. And MMORPG find a reviewer who misses game play like SWG and DAoC  with 2014 tech

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

What I really have trouble getting behind though is the farming. I can understand people farming in order to help them get resources for other parts of the game, but man, the amount of people that have told me their favorite part of the game is farming throws me off.

Jeffrey Lerman

This statement here shows that you will probably never recognize the good points of this game. This is not your game dude, just find something else that is

secret farming is great.. until you wake up and your stash is gone!! haha... i need to get a tractor those look great can water a buttload of plants at once.. i recently saw you could get the cow mount and sift through the cow crap to get methane to make your tractor move faster.. you pass out when sifting for methane it's pretty funny

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I didn't read the article, but some of these posts are quite boggling, I mean I love a sandbox as much as the next fan of them, but that doesn't excuse poorly designed PVE/questing..etc.. in any way. Poorly designed content is poorly designed content, wth would I play through it if it's poorly designed and admittedly boring?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia
    I didn't read the article, but some of these posts are quite boggling, I mean I love a sandbox as much as the next fan of them, but that doesn't excuse poorly designed PVE/questing..etc.. in any way. Poorly designed content is poorly designed content, wth would I play through it if it's poorly designed and admittedly boring?

then don't there is no requirement to quest to 50.. a lot don't find it that boring especially once you get ot the PVP zones it's better than Teras(which isn't saying much) I found it on par(maybe little below) with basic themepark questing ie wow and such lot of kill x quests.. In games like Tera you really have no other options but to suffer through the horrible questing or grind BAMs.. in AA you have several options as pretty much everything you do gives XP.. just questing is faster so most go that route.. The under and over achiever aspect of questing is very nice though

But the early questing teaches you all the basic of farming, building, gliders, mounts so it's worth doing the early stuff to learn the basic systems

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

"Another thing that bugs me a bit about ArcheAge right now is that I had a realization while playing the alpha that the majority of players have bought into the alpha spending $150 with a others getting in in alternate ways. You realize that these people are hardcore fans and many will act as if they like the game simply for having spent so much from the get go. "

I see.  Since the game hasn't "grabbed you" then many of us whom say we like Archeage are biased simply defending our purchase.  All because you are the quintessential judge of game quality.

Very unprofessional, prejudicial, presumptive and confusing column.   Poor.  

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I thought this article was about glyph,  but then it went all archeage on me.     /shrug.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by seraphynx

then don't there is no requirement to quest to 50.. a lot don't find it that boring especially once you get ot the PVP zones it's better than Teras(which isn't saying much) I found it on par(maybe little below) with basic themepark questing ie wow and such lot of kill x quests.. In games like Tera you really have no other options but to suffer through the horrible questing or grind BAMs.. in AA you have several options as pretty much everything you do gives XP.. just questing is faster so most go that route.. The under and over achiever aspect of questing is very nice though

But the early questing teaches you all the basic of farming, building, gliders, mounts so it's worth doing the early stuff to learn the basic systems

XP from PVP? IF so it could be bearable.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    Yeah that is just what a struggling and increasingly irrelevant company like Trion needs is it's very own launch platform. Once they screw up AA they can go join Mythic. RIP
    Originally posted by seraphynx

XP from PVP? IF so it could be bearable.

best alternative to questing would be crafting and farming.. for korea in 1.2 just added XP for player kills as right now you just get honor points or criminal if you are attacking your own faction..  but who knows that change could come for US release.. but you do get XP for turning in trade packs(not really a lot from my experience though but it gets you money to buy more materials or more farming stuff) which is a big part of PVP and those give you gold or gilda stars to help craft/farm/build ships and such.. so in turn you could just PVP with a group and level doing this supplementing crafting.. but leveling to 50 via questing is really fast so no reason not to really as it gets your skillsets up there as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have to say it is a catch 22,good and bad at the same time.

As mentioned by the OP,competition is good and needed but in this case the problem is nobody wants to have to install a new loader every time they want to play a game.Steam is a perfect example of annoying,when i switch to my laptop it comes up with a warning about not my computer and stuff and asks for my login.

At the same time,i don't like the idea of Valve holding the majority of business in this area but i also have to say they have not tried to rip us off,their prices are almost always reasonable with some perks.I just purchased the remake of FFIII so yes i am still using Steam.

As is case with most developers Steam has awful support,they ALWAYS tell you if it is not their Valve game to contact THAT customer support.I would hardly call that customer support,they can't have their cake and eat it too,if they are going to sell the products,they should back them up and support them.This is why competition is good,if Valve starts to lose a large market share they might begin to show some more effort aside form just collecting money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.