Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does the gameplay connect with the show?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

How does the gameplay connect with the show?

how does it work?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Barely, at best. During a Season of the show, Trion drops in short "episode missions" that kind of hint at an "in between" subplot from something on the show, but that's it.

Otherwise, we have a show with political and racial tensions, characters that have proven interesting for TV science fiction, and some drama.

On the other side, we have a third-person shooter game that conveys NONE of that.

Defiance would have been better suited as a full, traditional MMO. Not the slap-together stuff they designed. Basically all it is, is a mediocre third-person shooter set in the San Fransisco ruins of the Defiance setting, whereas the show is set all the way over (for a majority of the part) where St. Louis used to be.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Beauman

Barely, at best. During a Season of the show, Trion drops in short "episode missions" that kind of hint at an "in between" subplot from something on the show, but that's it.

Otherwise, we have a show with political and racial tensions, characters that have proven interesting for TV science fiction, and some drama.

On the other side, we have a third-person shooter game that conveys NONE of that.

Defiance would have been better suited as a full, traditional MMO. Not the slap-together stuff they designed. Basically all it is, is a mediocre third-person shooter set in the San Fransisco ruins of the Defiance setting, whereas the show is set all the way over (for a majority of the part) where St. Louis used to be.

Sounds amazing, wonder why it went F2P.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just watch Ep 0207 and was thinking about the connection with the game and wanted to make a topic but saw this one already.

Though my question was how much Defiance is in Defiance but is almost the same like OP's

Have to admit only played in beta and wasn't really looking for a 3rd person shooter but it was more my curiousity to experiance the link between the tv show and the game. The intro scene was it?

Anyway I wished the following which doesn't mean the game needs to change because I think there are plenty of people enjoying it but:

What if Defiance was your "end-game" meaning you can adventure towards it just like missions work currently (if I am correct) but once you reach cap lvl you are able to travel to Defiance, while other towns might have social/missions hubs, reaching Defiance would be the ultimate goal/socialhub. You get to meet characters from the tv series which can give you new missions or just give somewhat more insight on what's going on that you can not learn from the tv serie. And the tv serie should be much more involved with giving hints that might unlock new area's/discovery's/treasure's etc ingame. 

SPOILER ALERT ep0207: Datak wake's up and see's his door busted open and discovers a dead Castithan handmaiden up on his doorstep.

Now ingame the weekend before the ep airs. You accept a mission to follow a somewhat suspisious doctor you may not be detected and this mission only last for 2 day's during the weekend. In this mission you see if completed to remain unseen  who took her and what he did to her (to an extend), to be then dragged to Datak's doorstep. And that's when the series takes over. Since the tv series is scripted and those scripts often create enough time to I think implement it ingame. Ofcourse this could be done with almost anything even little mention thru it's tv'series could be trival for it's game version.

But maybe things have changed or I might have not gotten far enough ingame?

The tv series is starting to grow on me. Characters have grown and you feel a better connection between them. The first few eps it just didn't connect how it should have. But this is a "issue I have with most new series.