Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we ever get a real MMORPG set in the Marvel Universe?

DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I know a lot of people really like the diabloesque Marvel Universe game, but will we ever see a real MMORPG set in the Marvel Universe. Something in the vein of CoH/CoV? It would seem a great time to make one since all the movie awesomeness and the expanding universe on film.

I know Champions was originally going to be a Marvel MMO but it didn't have the quality.

I just want to make my own mutant mentored by Charles Xavier or my own super soldier given orders by Nick Fury... or even better yet playing a villain following orders from Magneto or Dr. Doom.

Anyway, will it ever happen?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I won't digging up my old posts (as a Marvel fan I too lamented about the same), short answer is: Most likely not.

Marvel stood behind Marvel Herpes with much more dedication (and money, and resources) than they ever did with Cryptic. On a quick sidenote, CO does have the quality, it's a cool game, even if Champions IP is not my favourite.

So if MH will be a success, accompanied with other similar Marvel games on console, they will be convinced that crappy, pew-pew action games is where the company's online future is. And if MH will flop, most likely they will be backing off and refocusing onto their crappy console line...

But with the trends lately, I don't think MH will flop. Hence: will we ever get a real Marvel mmorpg - Most likely not.

I'm not saying it's completely out of the question, I'd love to play a real Marvel mmoRPG... So let's stay optimistic http://youtu.be/KX5jNnDMfxA  :)

• ThenThen Member UncommonPosts: 80

It is simple, MH is my fav ARPG, and it is because its a: amazing and b: ARPG c:MARVEL.

The scope of MH can simply just not be done in a "normal MMO RPG"

One think about the fact that you are playing with the actual heroes, then think about the fact

that you would have no customization options on character creation, because its spiderman.

What would the point be of a Marvel Universe in a "normal MMO RPG"?

None.

There are loads of ppl playing and enjoying MH, if you can't... then face it, you are not such a big fan

of MARVEL as you think you are, and that is just sad.

You can't fault MH on playability, not  on graphics, not on options and especially not on FUN!

So my suggestion is to dry your tears and play MH, or to go play DC Universe online, since that is 

what you want.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

No need to be a dick. I never said Marvel Heroes was a bad game. And the point would be it is a completely different type of game play and you would be able to make your own character and not just play the already existing characters.

...and if you think just going off to play the DC game would suffice, then maybe you aren't as big of a Marvel fan as you think you are.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

any mmorpg following this premise would be a pretty rendition of a marvel game.

as the poster above said, you can't really make an mmorpg that lets you appreciate the full scope of the marvel universe. it would just be a convoluted mess.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

It wouldn't satisfy anyone

If you made it like DC universe where you created custom heroes then people would be complaining you can't play a real marvel character (feeling more like a sidekick)

If they made it so you can play a marvel character then people would be complaining about lack of look customization and the fact you have duplicate heroes running around breaking immersion

I just don't see it other than what we have now with MH. being that it is a M:ARPG, people are more forgiving of the former

Being such a huge IP and the fact MMORPGS usually comes with huge expectations, Marvel just wouldn't be able to get it right. No matter the design there would be too much whining.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

That would be amazing. Like the old Pen and Paper Marvel RPG. 

Remember these. Heck this looks like it could have been mine, judging by how worn it is.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by StonesDK

If they made it so you can play a marvel character then people would be complaining about lack of look customization and the fact you have duplicate heroes running around breaking immersion.

This is the main reason I don't play Marvel Heroes. I've tried it and got quite far, but in the end it just felt like I had no connection to the characters, and of course all the other identical heroes running around looked really out of place. I like having the customization, I like to be able to create a character of my own and run it through the world I've been given.

Yes, I have very fond memories of the Marvel RPG and my my books all looked similarly worn. Lost them all in a flood along with my D&D and Star Frontiers stuff [shed tear].

...and yes that is my point and I think a lot of gamers want to make their own characters.

Originally posted by Dauntis

...and yes that is my point and I think a lot of gamers want to make their own characters.

This.

I don't even get the "people would be complaining you can't play a real marvel character" part above... like saying SW rpg is pointless if players can't play Yoda or Vader. Or why playing LotR if players can't be Gandalf or Sauron. Lol.

Roleplaying is all about playing your character within the world of the IP. I know it may sounds weird for a diablo-er whom rpg equals "combat / loot / levelup" :) Playing your own superhero in the Marvel universe, helping your favourite characters or forming your own group... would be great.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Po_gg

This.

I don't even get the "people would be complaining you can't play a real marvel character" part above... like saying SW rpg is pointless if players can't play Yoda or Vader. Or why playing LotR if players can't be Gandalf or Sauron. Lol.

Roleplaying is all about playing your character within the world of the IP. I know it may sounds weird for a diablo-er whom rpg equals "combat / loot / levelup" :) Playing your own superhero in the Marvel universe, helping your favourite characters or forming your own group... would be great.

If they made it a proper MMO instead of something like Marvel Heroes too, then that would be pretty good, since COH/COV was shut down i think there is a space there for a decent Super Hero MMO, but only if the players can create their own heroes, having dozens of captain america's etc would just be a bit naff.image

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    if you're a fan of marvel comics then you'd want to play your favorite character.. otherwise it'd be just another mmo where you play you..

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    if you're a fan of marvel comics then you'd want to play your favorite character.. otherwise it'd be just another mmo where you play you..

You probably don't understand much about MMO players then, sure there are some that just want to play as their favourite character, but they probably don't want everyone else to be able to also, most have their own ideas on what a super hero is, what they can do, their goals etc. just copying something thats already been done is at the end of the day, a bit naff. image

I would want to play my fav's... in a singleplayer game. Where the writing, the gameplay, the whole experience is about that particular character. (like the Batman games for DC, I'm not very fond of console-ish games, but Arkham Asylum was nice)

In an mmo however, in a large living world with many players around it'd be pointless. Dozens of Spideys running around, Xaviers racing on the hallways (sorry about that), Stark armour/fashion shows... just no.

DCUO has a nice backstory with Legends, and it would fit Marvel even better (personally I think they simply stole it from Marvel's spreading the mutant gene across the world storyline :) ).

Marvel could even set it in an alternate Earth if they want to keep it separate. Earth-666, as in mmo on dial letters :)  Magneto's plan succeeded, lots of people gaining powers, needing guideance, etc. Then redirect Bendis from that lame MH to write the plots and multiple storylines...

Sadly it's only wishful thinking, today's *online gaming era is not about rpgs anymore, kidz want diablo-clones and dota-clones, and action 24/7. As a matter of fact, if I'd be in charge there and I'd have to choose a direction, I also would pick those two, that's where the money is nowadays... but as a gamer, I'd love to have a Marvel mmorpg.

*edit: single rpg's are still fine, can't wait for Witcher 3 :)

I would dare say that 90% of my friends are comics and rpg fans and they all have created their own heroes over the years that they would insert into the Marvel Universe. I think that is pretty natural for most roleplayers.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I know a lot of people really like the diabloesque Marvel Universe game, but will we ever see a real MMORPG set in the Marvel Universe. Something in the vein of CoH/CoV? It would seem a great time to make one since all the movie awesomeness and the expanding universe on film.

I know Champions was originally going to be a Marvel MMO but it didn't have the quality.

I just want to make my own mutant mentored by Charles Xavier or my own super soldier given orders by Nick Fury... or even better yet playing a villain following orders from Magneto or Dr. Doom.

Anyway, will it ever happen?

I don't really care ...

I am one of those who like diablo type ARPG in the Marvel Universe (first Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, and now Marvel heroes).

As long as there is new content, i am happy with this type of marvel games. In fact, I want to play captain america and other marvel heroes. I don't want to play a no-name iron-man wanna be. That is one of the reasons I don't play DC Universe. If you cannot play the actual well known characters, i am not interested.

Originally posted by Phry

You probably don't understand much about MMO players then, sure there are some that just want to play as their favourite character, but they probably don't want everyone else to be able to also, most have their own ideas on what a super hero is, what they can do, their goals etc. just copying something thats already been done is at the end of the day, a bit naff. image

In that case, consider me a gamer, not a MMO player. I would much rather play Captain America, then some knock-off Captain "California" ....

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I was really looking forward to playing The Marvel game, until I saw the antiquated re-run of Diablo they came up with.  I didn't even give it a second glance after that.  I really wish they'd come up with a new game more like an in-depth mmorp, but that'll never happen now more's the pity.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

To be honest, I do not see it happening for two reasons:

1. Action RPG's sell better than MMORPG's for the most part in today's market due to MMO's being inherently risky as a return investment

2. I do not trust any company currently producing MMO's enough to make a game worthy of the Marvel universe, and it seems they share my opinion on this.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

1. Action RPG's sell better than MMORPG's for the most part in today's market due to MMO's being inherently risky as a return investment

Yeh .. and i like ARPG more.

I wouldn't mind a Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 .. but in the meanwhile, Marvel Heroes is fun enough. In fact, they are doing well, and adding new content all the time.