Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 account banned, guess what I found....

CuiasCuias CopenhagenPosts: 11Member Common

So a funny little story about Diablo 3 I thought I'd share with you.

I purchased Diablo 3 on release and played it some in the first weeks, ultimately leaving the game in the beginning of Act IV and never returned. At that time I was about level 20 or 30 I think, no special gear and no money since I had spent them all on upgrading for future crafting (dunno why, I was and am a noob!)

Today I decided that I wanted to give it another go since I have some friends who still play it, and I thought that I might find it fun to play with them. Only problem is that they're max level and do end-game stuff. But when I logged into my Battle.net account, I found that my D3 account was banned. I thought it quite weird but did recall that I may have received some mails in the past about it being banned, which I ignored because "i was never gonna play that game again".

Anyway, I wrote to the support and after some hours I received a kind (and very standard) response that the account had been hacked but was unbanned for me. I may or may not have changed the password at some time since I played D3, but I don't recall ever having lost control with the account, thus the password was never changed by the hackers. In the mail I received from Blizzard I was provided a link that I could use to rollback my characters. I was about to do it when I decided to make sure that I was actually missing anything and that I wasn't rolling back unneccessary.

So I logged into the game, and guess what I found! My main character that I had played to Act IV was now level 60 (paragon level 61, which from what I can read takes some time to reach). The character had four legendaries and a lot of other rare stuff and about 19.500.000 gold!!

I didn't take me long to conclude that my account had been used for gold farming and I rejoice at the thought of some damn gold sellers having actually given me a free power level and lots of gold. I hope they lost of lot of work when the account was banned. I would never reach such level by myself but now that they have given me the opportunity to jump in and join my friends, I will certainly do it!

See you all in-game :)

«1

Comments

  • thunderCthunderC miami flPosts: 529Member Uncommon
    If this story is real, I love it!!!
  • flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,812Member Uncommon
    Great story!  I don't play any Blizzard games but have heard their CS is very good. 
  • Dynamic1325Dynamic1325 Tulsa, OKPosts: 69Member Uncommon
    Did they actually say it 'had been hacked' or something else along the line of: clean your dirty machine of the keylogger and/or don't share your password?
  • CuiasCuias CopenhagenPosts: 11Member Common
    Originally posted by thunderC
    If this story is real, I love it!!!

    Well, I can't prove my statement about my character before the hacker came around, but I can at least prove how it looks now :D

     

    image

  • CuiasCuias CopenhagenPosts: 11Member Common
    Originally posted by Dynamic1325
    Did they actually say it 'had been hacked' or something else along the line of: clean your dirty machine of the keylogger and/or don't share your password?

    Good one :)

    I'll probably never know how it happened, but I won't deny that I may be my own fault.

    To answer your question, here's what they wrote:

    "After a thorough investigation, I come with great news! I have reviewed our logs of your account, and was able to determine that the account was closed as a result of being compromised. That being the case, the closure has been reversed and access has been restored. Please carefully read the paragraphs below as they will explain how to get your characters back their pre-compromised state." 

     

  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 760Member Uncommon
    Reminds me when my WoW account was hacked by some goldfarmers. After a week of waiting on CS I got my account back and had tons of mats and 5k gold. This was back in burning crusade so that was actually alot of money for me.
  • DeathsmindDeathsmind Newbury Park, CAPosts: 180Member
    Originally posted by Cuias

    So a funny little story about Diablo 3 I thought I'd share with you.

    I purchased Diablo 3 on release and played it some in the first weeks, ultimately leaving the game in the beginning of Act IV and never returned. At that time I was about level 20 or 30 I think, no special gear and no money since I had spent them all on upgrading for future crafting (dunno why, I was and am a noob!)

    Today I decided that I wanted to give it another go since I have some friends who still play it, and I thought that I might find it fun to play with them. Only problem is that they're max level and do end-game stuff. But when I logged into my Battle.net account, I found that my D3 account was banned. I thought it quite weird but did recall that I may have received some mails in the past about it being banned, which I ignored because "i was never gonna play that game again".

    Anyway, I wrote to the support and after some hours I received a kind (and very standard) response that the account had been hacked but was unbanned for me. I may or may not have changed the password at some time since I played D3, but I don't recall ever having lost control with the account, thus the password was never changed by the hackers. In the mail I received from Blizzard I was provided a link that I could use to rollback my characters. I was about to do it when I decided to make sure that I was actually missing anything and that I wasn't rolling back unneccessary.

    So I logged into the game, and guess what I found! My main character that I had played to Act IV was now level 60 (paragon level 61, which from what I can read takes some time to reach). The character had four legendaries and a lot of other rare stuff and about 19.500.000 gold!!

    I didn't take me long to conclude that my account had been used for gold farming and I rejoice at the thought of some damn gold sellers having actually given me a free power level and lots of gold. I hope they lost of lot of work when the account was banned. I would never reach such level by myself but now that they have given me the opportunity to jump in and join my friends, I will certainly do it!

    See you all in-game :)

    From experience I can tell everyone that this happens quite often and is true. My gf got her WoW account hacked when we stopped playing. Came back to tons of gold and a fully leveled character which she wasnt. I had my account hacked a few times back during BC and I caught it during the hacker was trading stuff, my character was apparently a pack mull. I gained access with bags completely full and tons of mail and a crap ton more gold. He only had control for about an hour, I got kicked off and wasnt able to log back on because they changed the password so quick.

    Blizzard also doesnt give a crap what happens to stuff which I love. If you had 100g before you got hacked and now 100,000 gold, they dont care, it came from somewhere lol.

  • UtinniUtinni Richmond, VAPosts: 407Member Uncommon
    You can't trade gold/items on D3. There are no gold-farmers.
  • goozmaniagoozmania chino, CAPosts: 154Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Utinni
    You can't trade gold/items on D3. There are no gold-farmers.

    uh...lol... yes you can and yes there are.

  • feena750feena750 Federal Way, WAPosts: 329Member Uncommon
    D3 had the real money auction house in the past.  They took it out now, but it did exist.
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Concord, CAPosts: 268Member
    Originally posted by Cuias

    So a funny little story about Diablo 3 I thought I'd share with you.

    I purchased Diablo 3 on release and played it some in the first weeks, ultimately leaving the game in the beginning of Act IV and never returned. At that time I was about level 20 or 30 I think, no special gear and no money since I had spent them all on upgrading for future crafting (dunno why, I was and am a noob!)

    Today I decided that I wanted to give it another go since I have some friends who still play it, and I thought that I might find it fun to play with them. Only problem is that they're max level and do end-game stuff. But when I logged into my Battle.net account, I found that my D3 account was banned. I thought it quite weird but did recall that I may have received some mails in the past about it being banned, which I ignored because "i was never gonna play that game again".

    Anyway, I wrote to the support and after some hours I received a kind (and very standard) response that the account had been hacked but was unbanned for me. I may or may not have changed the password at some time since I played D3, but I don't recall ever having lost control with the account, thus the password was never changed by the hackers. In the mail I received from Blizzard I was provided a link that I could use to rollback my characters. I was about to do it when I decided to make sure that I was actually missing anything and that I wasn't rolling back unneccessary.

    So I logged into the game, and guess what I found! My main character that I had played to Act IV was now level 60 (paragon level 61, which from what I can read takes some time to reach). The character had four legendaries and a lot of other rare stuff and about 19.500.000 gold!!

    I didn't take me long to conclude that my account had been used for gold farming and I rejoice at the thought of some damn gold sellers having actually given me a free power level and lots of gold. I hope they lost of lot of work when the account was banned. I would never reach such level by myself but now that they have given me the opportunity to jump in and join my friends, I will certainly do it!

    See you all in-game :)

    Change.

     

    Your.

     

    Password.

  • flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,812Member Uncommon
    If I was playing a Blizzard game I would almost hope to get hacked at this point.  Call CS and get your account back with improved gear and more money?
  • drakolasdrakolas Plymouth, MNPosts: 36Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by goozmania
    Originally posted by Utinni
    You can't trade gold/items on D3. There are no gold-farmers.

    uh...lol... yes you can and yes there are.

     

    No you can't. Gold and the new legendaries from the expansion are all untradable.

  • KagnestiKagnesti midwest city, OKPosts: 38Member Uncommon

    Blizzard has garbage account protection. 2 of the 5 friends I know that played WoW were hacked and couldn't get their accounts reactivated. my account was also hacked after I stopped playing 2 weeks after I bought it.. canceled sub and few months later I get email account was hacked.

    Seems that hackers use the account info they steal and go after "abandoned" accounts for their gold farming so they don't have to buy a new game code when banned.

  • DeathsmindDeathsmind Newbury Park, CAPosts: 180Member
    Originally posted by Kagnesti

    Blizzard has garbage account protection. 2 of the 5 friends I know that played WoW were hacked and couldn't get their accounts reactivated. my account was also hacked after I stopped playing 2 weeks after I bought it.. canceled sub and few months later I get email account was hacked.

    Seems that hackers use the account info they steal and go after "abandoned" accounts for their gold farming so they don't have to buy a new game code when banned.

    They actually have the most advanced system now. 

  • adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,042Member Uncommon
    Am I the only one who when trying to get his account (WoW) back, was told I had to print and get a notarized signature and mailed back?  WTF is this 'they just reactivated it for me' BS?  Makes me furious.
  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,369Member Uncommon
    My WoW account was hacked back in WotLK, and I was pissed because Blizz said they couldn't do anything about lost items or gold, but when I logged back into my account after getting it reactivated, I had most of my gear and characters, and a few new ones named like ksadgkha and ahasdfpoh lol. On one of the new characters I noticed there was 238k gold (which was a lot back then).  The next day I tried to log in again and it was banned again.  I sent in another thing to CS explaining what had happened, and they reactivated my account.  The characters with the weird names were gone and so was the gold, but my other characters remained untouched except for gold.  I didn't have much gold if I remember correctly anyways lol.
  • SWRC9SWRC9 Puyallup, WAPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by drakolas
    Originally posted by goozmania
    Originally posted by Utinni
    You can't trade gold/items on D3. There are no gold-farmers.

    uh...lol... yes you can and yes there are.

     

    No you can't. Gold and the new legendaries from the expansion are all untradable.

    RMT sites still sell gold by via in-game color dyes. 20k  for each stack of 100.

    Signature: [url= C9 Videos![/url
    Latest Video: C9 - Intrusion Compilation #6 Dimensional Steal Fail! w/ Morg4nna

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 24,774Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SWRC9
    Originally posted by drakolas
    Originally posted by goozmania
    Originally posted by Utinni
    You can't trade gold/items on D3. There are no gold-farmers.

    uh...lol... yes you can and yes there are.

     

    No you can't. Gold and the new legendaries from the expansion are all untradable.

    RMT sites still sell gold by via in-game color dyes. 20k  for each stack of 100.

    Really? Gold is not that useful in D3 anymore anyway. The game is really about leg drops. Gold is useless except for rerolling an attribute.

    I still have like 250M gold and i doubt i will ever use it all.

  • KothosesKothoses GalwayPosts: 797Member Uncommon
    Kagnesti said:

    Blizzard has garbage account protection. 

    This right here is why gold farmers in all mmos continue to be able to get hold of peoples accounts.

    The security of your account credentials outside of their servers is your responsibility, if some one gets into your account, it means you were slack at some point.

    The only time its the mmo companies fault is if their databases get compromised, and despite what tin foil hat people tell you, that is NOT common.

    The common problem is people using the same damm password, or using crappy web based emails that DONT support 2 factor authentication along with not using the 2 factor authentication the game service comes with.


    Promoting thought a new Gaming video blog http://www.youtube.com/user/quinnthalas discussing games, gamers and the internet with gameplay footage as background.

  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 chapel hill, NCPosts: 2,644Member Rare
    wow! Awesome share. Glad you got your account back. Short of giving a blood sample and DNA match it seems harder and harder to retrieve an account. (I am looking at you Guild Wars 2)

  • itsoveritsover madison, MSPosts: 87Member Uncommon
    This happen to me in AION , gm restored my account and I had TON of gold, the gold seller was using my account for gold farmer, my retard being honest kickin in, so I told gm about the gold, and gm say " oh we forgot to remove it, thank you for report " dough...

    image
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Posts: 1,233Member Uncommon
    Stuff like this used to happen alot in Aion. Not long in for a while, account gets hacked, recover it and it has max level characters and a few thousand gold
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 9,946Member Rare
    I went to bed 3 AM playing the game for the first time woke up 6 Am and was hacked,try and beat that for instant hacking.That doesn't just happen on a whim.There wasn't even any time for me to interact with the internet or anything,i was sleeping lol.I have not played Diablo 3 in about 4-5 months,would be interesting to go back and see if account was compromised.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 10,535Member Epic
    Wizardry said:
    I went to bed 3 AM playing the game for the first time woke up 6 Am and was hacked,try and beat that for instant hacking.That doesn't just happen on a whim.There wasn't even any time for me to interact with the internet or anything,i was sleeping lol.I have not played Diablo 3 in about 4-5 months,would be interesting to go back and see if account was compromised.

    Did you have a 2-factor authenticator setup on your account?



«1
Sign In or Register to comment.