Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you like WoW, you'll adore Wildstar

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

WoW player here, played for 6 years, quit when i first hit 85 in Cata, and came back to it about 2 weeks ago.

I did try wildstar, but nothing about it appealed to me, i really dislike the scifi like setting, bringing the aesthetics down for me a lot, i also really disliked the excessive telegraphs, especially in PvP.

I'd love to try raiding in wildstar, but i just can't be bothered to level through so much mediocre content again before i get there.

Not saying It's bad, It felt pretty polished apart from the UI, but thats just how i personally felt.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I expected 'more' from Wildstar.  I'm not saying that WoW has every single feature that I want in a game, because honestly it doesn't.... but Wildstar missed my expectations by a fair margin.

I may dabble some more in Wildstar, but I can't find anything in Wildstar that makes it the new 'omg, must play' game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    That depends on what parts of WoW you like. I do like the similar graphics style although each one has a unique artstyle and both look pretty good on that aspect. Thats pretty much what i like from wildstar that is similar to WoW. The story in WIldstar in the low levels is very weak and uninspiring, I heard that around lvl 35 the story gets strong but that is unacceptable. Story needs to be good from the beginning to the end (Story/Lore is the main reason i ever log in to WoW). As for gameplay and class, WS is way too limited to compare to anything. I would take anything else instead.

• SammuelSKSammuelSK Member Posts: 24

I played WoW for years.

I played Wildstar for days.

Draw your own conclusions.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I wish this game would be serious competition to WoW, since Blizzard is lazy as hell taking a lot of money but not giving much in return, but sadly I dont think WoW will have much impact because of Wildstar. Cant be arsed to go in detail, but I just dont think Wildstar does much better than WoW, and in many areas it is totally lacking or over doing it.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Yes, they are essentially the same exact game.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I played wow for years, I'm playing wildstar and having a great time, it's where WOW should have went after TBC instead of homogenised mush. Questing as good as wow, pvp better than wow, raiding better than wow (post tbc) graphics better than wow. But heres the kicker - even assuming they were much of a muchness, wildstar is offering a MASSIVE. new world to explore. If wow released 50 new levels and a bigger world than vanilla to explore then maybe it would compete - buy no content for a year, failed for the moment.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by NightHaveN
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
     pvp better than wow, raiding better than wow...

The telegraph system does wouders.  You can actually see if someone is attacking you, even from your back, lol.

Totaly agree, i'm sick of watching grids and cooldown bars, makes a pleasant change.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i liked WoW.. WS not so much. yes i played during vanilla and it's not the same so stop comparing the 2 they really got nothing in common except for previous devs.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Originally posted by NightHaveN

I have been in WoW for many years.  While raiding has soften a little during the years,  is not child play like many people talk about.  Yes, there is the LFR that let's you see the End Game raid content, but heroic raids has some extra mechanics in their fights.  And has some items like the Celestial cape that take forever to farm (not easy).  The only 2 major changes in raids since vanilla wow has been:

1. Removal of 40-men raids -> Because sometimes is freaking difficult to get a 25-men, imagine a 40-men.  And except for very few hard core dedicated guilds, most of the players were unable to get on them.
    2. Looking for Raid (LFR) tool -> because people don't talk anymore to get a group, and after killing Garrosh on LFR, they claim they finished the content, and that the raid was an easy pug.

// I don't disagree with you at top heroic level, but we all know that raiders lamented the introduction of softer versions of the exact same instance (Nax kicked it all off)  this is  where Blizzard screwed it up - both in that it patronised players by aiming at the imaginary lowest common denominator (we get better over time not worse!), and also by devaluing the hard work of players who worked hard to get the heroic boss kills.  This in essence is where Carbine differ - they rightfully respect their player base and say that  its' ok for people not to be able to complete stuff, it gives rewarding aspirations.

The other major difference, and something many haven't realised yet is that the telegraph offers an elegant solution to what I call 'Progress bar hell', i.e the absolute need for DBM cooldown bars for top end raiding.  Telegraphs is  a much more intuitive mechanic, rather than watching cooldowns and flashing messages - you watch whats happening in the fight - so learning is MUCH more natural and therefore satisfying.

Wildstar still have to stand the test of time, and demonstrate that it has good End Game, but looking at the mechanics of earlier dungeons, I'm convinced that will be very fun and challenging.

//fair comment, time will tell.

The action combat is something that either you like, or don't.  So far I'm liking action combat games more than classic Tab (or mouse) selection combat.  But you can tab/mouse select here if you want too, but not all skills will work with selected targets, most are directional.

//again fair enough - its just different, different is healthy for us gamers, in that both tab target games and other is good.

Also many people said that next WoD expansion will improve the graphics, but it will also raise the bar on requirements.  I remember people having issues when Cata came out, and history will repeat again.  25-men fight in WoD will require more processing and graphics and an equivalent fight in Cata/MoP did.

In the questing/leveling.  If you found lost by too many quests, concentrate in the main story quests (cyan colored title), and skip everything else, including those time consuming path quests.

//exactly what im doing :)

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I started this post and am open-minded enough to respect the pros and cons that people are listing when it comes to both games.

So here is where I am, as someone who likes both games and will be getting the next WoW expansion when it comes out.

Both games appeal to me and because Blizzard were taking my money and being lazy on content, I thought I'd fill the gap with a game that I thought would also appeal to me.  And I am filling that gap with a load of fresh content and new things to do - it's Wildstar.  Blizzard could have filled that gap instead, but with no new content, I stopped my sub because I'm not handing over my money for nothing - I'd rather pay for playing Wildstar and experience something totally new.

Then, in 6 months time, I can make a decision.  Do I play 1 game or do I play both?  At least playing Wildstar at max level (by then) will give me an informed decision to make.

Both games are good, but I've played WoW to death and if they won't give out more regular content, I'm looking elsewhere for now.

Thanks to everyone who has posted.  This wasn't a troll thread but pointer towards a game I thought others might also like, if they like WoW.  It worked for me, but, I totally understand and accept it won't work for everyone.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I play WoW, and Wildstar hasn't really done anything for me... I'm not saying it sucks but it didn't toot any horns that haven't been tooted before.

It's not great, and doesn't suck but it's just like a meh thing for me. Not really worth playing since I'm already playing WoW. Might try it if it goes f2p, or might not.

Played some betas and stuff, but not begging to play it again or anything

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387

Wildstar is the most convincing WoW clone yet - this time they actually managed to clone the fun and the sense of place.

This game basically assumes you have played a lot of WoW, in terms of 'how thing work', language etc.  For example my Spellslinger has ability where you teleport forward and stun.  Wildstar refers to it as 'blinking'.  No prizes for working this one out.

I'm enjoying it.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45

I'm one of the biggest Blizzard fan, playing their games since Warcraft 1, I played WoW from 2004 to 2014. (I'm waiting for WoD)

And Wildstar is one of the worst mmorpg I never played, I hate everything in this game.

Please stop telling people Wildstar is like WoW...

WoW will always be the best one, sorry!

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I didn't like WoW when I tried back in 2007 or 2008 but I quite enjoy WS. Especially those ranting taxi bots :)
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by WalterWhite
    I like WoW and enjoy playing it but I hated Wildstar. I guess not all WoW players will be the same.

This. 

WoW has a better story, better systems, the graphics are even more detailed as of the next expansion (if you care about graphics).  And the combat is really not that good.  Certainly more in-depth than WoW's though, I'd agree with that.  I don't HATE Wildstar, but I don't think it's a terribly impressive product.

sums up what I was about to say :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by WalterWhite
    I like WoW and enjoy playing it but I hated Wildstar. I guess not all WoW players will be the same.

This. 

WoW has a better story, better systems, the graphics are even more detailed as of the next expansion (if you care about graphics).  And the combat is really not that good.  Certainly more in-depth than WoW's though, I'd agree with that.  I don't HATE Wildstar, but I don't think it's a terribly impressive product.

sums up what I was about to say :D

It probably would have been better if the OP said, if you like WoW, and GW2 combat, then you will like Wildstar, but if you don't like GW2 combat, then you'll probably hate Wildstar, or at least not enjoy playing it. image

• PossimpPossimp Member Posts: 19

I find WS alot of fun. I have played wow since the early days (2004-2008 I raided hardcore, rest casual).

In WOW, everytime I sub: I manage to have fun for a few days and then I just get bored.

You literally get epics thrown at you, no challenge whatsoever.

If you feel like trying WS, do it. I will never forget the first dungeon, dear god...

We literally wiped like 10-15 times, but everyone stayed positive: we all messed up a few times, who's to blame? In WOW you'd get kicked, period. The holo-system is challenging, but I'm also scared it will someday become boring. I've gone tanking (Engineer) and I pretty much have all vet adventures on farm now. Dungeons are a gear check at first, but getting Silver for the attunement (raids) is pretty hard.

For now I feel like playing WS, alot. Might change my opinion lateron, but it's tons of fun right now. That's what's important right?

Anyway, for all you fanboys or hateboys, please continue.

• PossimpPossimp Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by DMKano

I liked Vanilla WoW a lot - didn't care for WS at all, it lacked that WoW silky smooth gameplay.

WoW's engine was far FAR superior to WS (I can only speak of how it was when I played WoW in 2004 - I only played vanilla so I have no clue if it's still true today) - if the game is not performing silky smooth - I could care less for the graphics honestly.

Performance and gameplay > all.

You clearly did not play at launch.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by Possimp
    Originally posted by DMKano

I liked Vanilla WoW a lot - didn't care for WS at all, it lacked that WoW silky smooth gameplay.

WoW's engine was far FAR superior to WS (I can only speak of how it was when I played WoW in 2004 - I only played vanilla so I have no clue if it's still true today) - if the game is not performing silky smooth - I could care less for the graphics honestly.

Performance and gameplay > all.

You clearly did not play at launch.

I played wow from launch- and it may be rose-tinted glasses or failing memory- but I'm pretty sure I did not experience all these horrendous game-breaking bugs everyone tells me were supposed to have crippled the game in its first months.  

In answer to the OP, I loved vanilla and TBC wow, but that was almost a decade ago and times (should have) moved on.  WS just bored me to tears: The generic, outdated quests; the clusterfuck pvp; the repetitive aoe telegraphing.    

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

Be Warned:

If you have an AMD CPU the game will perform terribly some worse than others I run an FX4300 and it runs like crap for me 18 fps on world bosses and in some towns it drops to about the same fps are all over the place.

AMD Fx4300

Nvidia Gtx 760 2G

Corsair 8G @1600Mhz

• iridiusiridius Member UncommonPosts: 10

I LOVE WoW and I don't like Wildstar at all. Tried it many times in beta, from first to last weekend and game is just bad for me. First of all, game doesn't have SOUL, and that is one of most important parts for me. Its just like SP game that I would play to beat and be done in maybe 2-3 months, no appeal, nothing to stick me to it, its kinda "artificaly" made, I can't find bound with characters or its world.

Second thing is UI. It is like the worst UI and presentation of information I ever saw in any new big MMO that come lately. UI is so hard on eyes and so confusing and I just can't get into it. Their UX team is obviously big amateurs and are clueless how to present UI in MMO and what is important to me as player. UI is full of Photoshop effects, which are not place in MMO, I must mention even with new UI 2.0 they introduced its still same, they just bandaided there.

Third is gameplay. While I like some of the stuff they implemented like double jump and dodge, and also while Wildstar is one of few new MMO's that came close to WoW's clean, fluid movement and combat, there is something I don't like. When you moving character there is feel like he is heavier then what you see on screen and when you move through world, it feels so disconnected, like floating a bit sometime, its hard to explain, but you just notice it there and its hard to get past it.

Also performance problems, that is big problem, they need to work on optimization and it must be their number 1 priority if they want to keep players. I would stick for few months and see how it goes if I liked the game, but some of me friends that got into WS are planning to stop playing after free month because of FPS drops and memory leak.

All this just is big no for me. I also must mention that there are some things that I like in Wildstar, like customization and housing, its really fun and great options there, but its not enough and can't pull me on that when main things are subpar and not at quality I expected.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Datastar

Be Warned:

If you have an AMD CPU the game will perform terribly some worse than others I run an FX4300 and it runs like crap for me 18 fps on world bosses and in some towns it drops to about the same fps are all over the place.

AMD Fx4300

Nvidia Gtx 760 2G

Corsair 8G @1600Mhz

It's not just AMD machines it seems to be hit or miss. Here's a link with lots of posts with different specs. What I will say is that it seems that people with older machines seem to be running the game fine ^^. I tried every type of fix from dx9 to 32 bit client but the game has got some serious problems for alot of people so I unsubbed until they fix it.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42544-client-optimization/

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

I like it alright, also LOVED WoW.

As superficial as it sounds, I cannot get past the Sci-Fi theme - I need a fantasy version of Wildstar!

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -