Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] WildStar: Review In Progress - Part One

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It used to be, just a few years back, that if two high profile MMOs released in the same year, chances are they would mirror each other in tone and mechanics. Nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to ESO and WildStar. And for this I am thankful, because so far WildStar is a refreshingly upbeat and robust theme park MMO.

Read on for the first part of our WildStarReview in Progress.

My glorious hamster ball mount.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• DrogenDrogen Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Ha, I had the same experience and went with first choice of Chua Engineer as well. I tried healing out as a spellslinger and was just really overwhelmed with it and went back to tanking. I think if I was a healer in other games I'd be more familiar with the basics and catch on easier. I think the best part so far has been being a scientist and opening up doors and labs for people, not to mention so far a lot of people are helping each other out and just forming groups for the heck of it. It's cool to hear that you can switch AMPs, had no idea.
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

quality game so far. I haven't had this sort of feeling of excitement and anticipation in playing  new MMO since playing WOW for the first time 9yrs back

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

Just think how good of a score this game will get. You had a broken game get 7. If a game is at least playable im guessing minimum the score has to be 12 out of 10...

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

Wildstar has given me that old WoW feeling, epic game so far. I am playing a Chua Enginner tank, I have a Stalker Dragon dude which is tank and I plan on playing the robot medic :

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Deathsmind

Just think how good of a score this game will get. You had a broken game get 7. If a game is at least playable im guessing minimum the score has to be 12 out of 10...

Be realistic, it'll get a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, with questing being the reason for the point removal.  If the questing of the game was a mirror of Guild Wars 2's Dynamic Events and Hearts system, this game would/should have earned a 10 out of 10.   

• Russ915Russ915 Member CommonPosts: 4
    Really great game so far. That first dungeon has a pretty steep learning curve though. Good Luck!
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Remember mmo fans...if they don't trash a game you don't like it's because they've been bought
  • DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Deathsmind

Be realistic, it'll get a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, with questing being the reason for the point removal.  If the questing of the game was a mirror of Guild Wars 2's Dynamic Events and Hearts system, this game would/should have earned a 10 out of 10.   

I actually hate the heart system in GW2. It is like getting a quest without talking to anyone. Enter area, quest pops on the right, kill things, reward, no interaction what-so-ever. It is just stale to me and I can't play the game. I also like class roles, which GW2 just does not have at all (DPS zerg). So sad too, as the game is so beautiful. At least I can look at my wife's screenshots and get some pleasure out of it (she loves the game).

I played Wildstar on a beta weekend. I couldn't handle the action combat system. All the movement required on WASD made it hard for me to 123. Maybe a keybind change or controller would make it a better experience for me. Can anybody who enjoys the game and found a way around this minor annoyance share their experience with me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Remember mmo fans...if they don't trash a game you don't like it's because they've been bought

If they give glowing praise to reskinned clones, then they are bought. 

I heard WoW clones are in though, idk.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Delusive

I played Wildstar on a beta weekend. I couldn't handle the action combat system. All the movement required on WASD made it hard for me to 123. Maybe a keybind change or controller would make it a better experience for me. Can anybody who enjoys the game and found a way around this minor annoyance share their experience with me.

Personally, I use a Naga, and can't play MMOs without one now.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Ya, I used to play hardcore without my Naga and after using one, going on a couple years now. I tried to play with a reg mouse and I am not sure how I did it before. I feel naked without it.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Due to carpal tunnel issues this is not an option for me. I use a vertical mouse which does hamper me in PvP due to slower reaction time. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm not a fan of mandatory subs and renting games at all, but if I keep having this much fun in 30 days I'll drop $15 for a sub no problem.

I agree image

• CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66

The game is so so solid. And everyone is only level 10-40 mostly. Look at internet shit are going viral already. Game is out this not hype, it's now sucess.

It has a lot of potential. I mean just housing it completly crazy. And guild housing are coming?

This game is gonna be top score on all review on this internet.

I bet a note between 8,5 and 10. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Yeh, maybe Carbine will give them the same paycheck that Zenimax gives for making the weekly, "This Week in Elder Scrolls Online" bit.  Think we will see a, "This Week in Wildstar"?  I guess it depends on how deep Carbine's wallet is.

/end sarcasm

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

I bought one when SWTOR came out. It felt awkward and I returned it . Maybe it is time to give it another try. I don't know really.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Holy FB heaven! No really, hype yourselves down.

This MMO is a happy 6.5 at best, WoW's looks, GW's action and SWTOR's awfulness. Only good part so far was the humor, but it's getting stale fast.

Betting that it will soon quieten down after the free 30 days. Each to their own etc.

:(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Never really liked it that much myself. Too much moving around and sometimes you have to hold the key at the right time. Could be argued as a good thing. Great for PvP but not PvE. I had to laugh though when I was loading a schematic into a campfire. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94

What can i say about a wildstar  a BRILLIANT game so far.

Do u know that feeling  when u wake up, and before u even wash your head and hands u straight go to the pc in order not to lsose a snigle minute?.Thats a feeling  i havent felt for over 7 years and WS MADE IT REAL AGAIN!

1)Such  a POLISHED game 228 quests so far 1 bug!  i repeat ...1 BUG and annoying interface bug no doubt.

2:) Housing is simply amazing,u can spent hours over there!

3)Batle system is amazing..questing is enhanced with chalenges that make it enjoyable

4)Dungeons?? So solid with great tecnhics and difficulty

5)Paths are great make your character Special.Amps-Auction is great too!

)And most of all..its social!! I get to group with people and then make them neighbours with our homes!

(Dont even compare it with ESO...they are not even close to bein with, this game is another level..greater!)

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I haven't had THIS much fun in an MMO in years.

Absolutely brilliant game packed with so many features.

..Cake..

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I played the early beta and was planning to purchase but after playing ESO I just can't get into it. I tried again during open beta this was after I had been playing ESO and I just couldn't get passed the graphics and art style. It didn't really bother me when I played before ESO which is kinda funny. I guess my taste atm are just for realistic graphics. Anyways I'll keep an eye on it and I hope it does well.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

I bought one when SWTOR came out. It felt awkward and I returned it . Maybe it is time to give it another try. I don't know really.

I had the same issue with a Naga. Too many tiny buttons in too little space for me. I switched to a Logitech (M90?) that has 6 different sized buttons on the side. Not as good as having 32,431 needle point sized buttons on my mouse, but a step up from 3 button mouse and still comfortable.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

This game is everything a mmo should be. So happy I bought it, worth every dang penny. I'm loving every minute of it, almost wanna buy another copy so  I can just stare at it's epicness ! Yup it's that's good. Game of year ! 

You should buy a couple copies. You are missing out ! 

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

i cant understand why people get up set when we say its just like wow and possibly even easyer and dull ..but these same ppl love this game for the same reasons "like wow"

so all you people really wanted is another wow? this is what everyone has been waiting for? another recycled wow type theampark carbon copy of wow?

i see soo many people that play wow and say "i want xyz and im tyred of the same old" but this is the same thing and it now seems to be better than sliced bread lol maybe its me and im getting to old for the genra i see nothing new nor fun about this title and ill stop there..dont wanna get banned

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by BurntCabbage
    i cant understand why people get up set when we say its just like wow and possibly even easyer and dull ..but these same ppl love this game for the same reasons "like wow"so all you people really wanted is another wow? this is what everyone has been waiting for? another recycled wow type theampark carbon copy of wow?i see soo many people that play wow and say "i want xyz and im tyred of the same old" but this is the same thing and it now seems to be better than sliced bread lol maybe its me and im getting to old for the genra i see nothing new nor fun about this title and ill stop there..dont wanna get banned

You do realize this game has an awesome crafting and housing system right? WoW has never had housing and its crafting is "WoW" crafting (which is dull and uninspired.