Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: RIP Mythic

2»

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by sauna
    RIP makers of the greatest MMO of all time (DAoC).

This pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter. You will be missed Mythic, I always enjoyed your games and it's sad to see you go. Imperator was so far ahead of it's time, it's a shame it got canned for Warhammer where EA ended up mucking up the whole game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Is it still possible for an indie MMOG to become a major factor in today's market? What would have to happen for this to occur, or why not?

Possible? yes Easy? no way in ***. If by indie you mean an independent developer who's first product is an MMO. I would say good luck with that. If however an indie developer who already has an established franchise through other game types, and hopefully an actual revenue stream/operating capital(non-borrowed), with an established and working methodology to game production; then yea, more likely. MMMo's imho represent the game type with the highest overhead, the most crowded market share (game # of titles vs total genre pop), and tightest margins for return on investment vs overhead/marketing compared to something like RTS, Sim, SP, FPS, RPG ect ect.

What are the pros and cons of crowd funding for an indie MMOG?

Pros = easier capital infusion & lack of regulation <- both should be self explanatory
    Cons = easier capital infusion & lack of regulation <- regulation should be self explanatory
    As far as easy capital infusion, examples exist of too much $ too early before concept/planning/direction is finalized
    (how many mmo's from big name Devs/Pubs with 100, 200, 300+ mil budgets gave a return to investors even close to more rational types of investment) I could probably link a couple of developer after action videos from mid/large projects where one of the "hurdles" they said they faced was too much capital going off in too many directions with too little communication, and lack of consistent direction.(speaking of Mythic I seem to remember they released such after Warhammer if memory serves)
    $ doesn't make a good game, it's merely a tool to bring concepts to market. If the concept/implementation/production cycle/target demographic is mis- aligned it doesn't really matter how much or how little $ you threw at it.

Which indie MMOGs are you currently playing and/or looking forward to, and why does each of them appeal to you?

Currently none. other genre's of gaming have evolved into serving multiple demographics instead of trying to cram everyone into one title. Currently the only "indie" titles I play are not mmogs. Kerbal Space Program, Take on Mars

• Agathos88Agathos88 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    RIP. Sad, Very Sad...

-Prior story writer for MMORPG.com

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49

The Gaming Industry is a giant mess right now. The budgets 'needed' to design a top quality product is asinine. Studios being hampered down by Industry fossils who get jobs based on who they know or what they created 15 years ago is laughable. Not to mention the cancerous brands such as EA which gobble others up and run their studios into the ground trying to turn a profit. The best representation of the failure of the Gaming Industry to control itself is inherent in Assassins Creed (Or Battlefield/CoD) games coming out yearly as if it was the Madden Franchise.

I wish that studios such as Mythic were able to continue on creating the games that they love. However, I feel no sympathy for an Industry that does nothing to stand up for itself while asking the consumers to bear the cost.