Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun or a Pain in the Ass

2»

Comments

• MarmanmanMarmanman Member Posts: 9

I love Wildstar but definitely sympathize with the OP.

The housing is amazing, the crafting is complex, but I find that I don't play in long sessions like I have in other MMOs.  After a while all the active combat just gets tiring instead of entertaining.  I'm finding it hard to 'lose' myself in the world for long periods of time because the combat takes so much concentration.

I'm planning on continuing to subscribe,  because it is a fun game and definitely worth the money.  I do wish it was toned down just slightly.  One of the things I like in other MMOs and especially WoW is the combat animations and how you can get into your character.  I'm sure some people have no problem doing that in Wildstar, but I'm concentrating so much on dodging the telegraphs and interrupting the mobs that I sometimes don't even notice the animations and cool stuff that they've worked so hard to put in the game.

But that's the way it is, and it's the way Carbine designed it so I'll take it for what it is and enjoy it.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    For most trash I find as spells linger I don't have to move too much, few nukes, interrupt armor/stun-offload big nukes while armor is down and freeze him/ finish off if not already dead. The interrupt armor makes a big difference.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Once you start to really get into combat, you'll realize that you really don't need to be diving left and right ALL the time. The severity of the hits and the reaction to the telegraphs should be examined. Try not to over-react and watch how you're getting hit. With this knowledge, you may find your play style relaxing somewhat. 

Don't get me wrong, there is still a ton of moving in this game. More action required by the player than I seen from most other titles. There just seems to be a lot of over-reacting too that once you get along in level and experience, you'll realize that it's not as intense as you thought in the beginning.

• MarmanmanMarmanman Member Posts: 9

I agree with the posters who are saying you don't have to move as much as you probably think you do.  You usually have a stun up and can last through most telegraphs.

One thing that absolutely drives me NUTS is having sprint when I'm mounted.  I'd just like a constant mount speed and be able to enjoy the ride without having to push the sprint button every 4 seconds to go from a slow crawl to a decent mount speed.

I believe, at lower levels, a mount that is not sprinting is slower than someone on foot that is.

In between all the combat it would be nice just to be able to sit back and ride your mount at a reasonable speed and not constantly have to mash the sprint button.  I realize I don't have to use the spring function, but then mounts are so slow they aren't really much of an advantage.  It's not fun at all.  It's just annoying.  ESO had the same thing and I hated it there as well.

I'm sure they'll find a happy median on a lot of these things as the game matures, but give me a constant mount speed please!!

kkthx.

Oh, and P.S.  If that (#*(#&# taxi driver doesn't stop telling me the same jokes over and over and over, I'm going to lose it.  The taxi driver DEFINITELY qualifies as the OPs 'pain in the ass'.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    What do you guys think of constantly having to move out of telegraphs in PvE, even just landscape play?  In beta, I found it fun at first, but as the telegraphs became more complex, I started to find it annoying.  No chance to relax, which is what I want most from an MMO.

The thing is that combat should never be about relaxing.  A player shouldn't be able to AFK auto-attack mobs while heating up a Hotpocket in the microwave.     There are many tasks and things to do to relax outside of combat, however when engaged in a conflicting fight you should always be on your toes.

Wildstar has a TON of relaxing things to do outside of combat...although Challenges isn't one of them (they're  on a timer and rush you, the exact opposite of relaxing!).

Housing is relaxing....

Crafting is relaxing....

Exploring is relaxing....

Sitting in a Lopp village and listening to commentary is relaxing....

The music is relaxing....

T-bagging a player you just ganked in world PvP is relaxing (the after part of combat).....

• I prefer to constantly move actually.  But in point of fact in wildstar strafing doesn't do shit for you.  The implementation of dash is completely fubar shit.  Telegraphs are quite wonky and seem to lie all the time about what their actual size really is, either that or its again because dash completely fucks up where your position truly is. 

Its actually to your detriment to move a lot.  You should only move at certain times and only in certain ways.  A teleport move is always always always superior to dash when faced with large telegraphs.  Certain mobs telegraphs are absolutely NEVER solved through normal strafing for non long-range classes.

If movement is cutting into you DPS in absolutely anyway, don't move.  Burn it down.

This is not TERA or Dark Souls you absolutely cannot flawless any mob and its detrimnetal to try.  Only seriously avoid certain telegraphs you know to be dangerous and certain telegraphs need to be avoided using teleport moves or by sprinting directly away as early as possible (less preferable).  Some telegraphs are very eeasy to side step so you might as well.  Some are completely pointless to try or simply you aren't gonna get out of them and in the end auto-attacks are completely unavoidable and do a significant amount of damage anyway.

For questing the best thing you can do is kill stuff quickly.  For dungeons the best thing you can do is have a really god interrupt regimen.

This game is not TERA.  Its a fake out.  Obviously don't get hit by huge special moves.  But the idea that you always should or even can get out of every telegraph is wrong for multiple reason.  You will be taking significant amounts of unavoidable damage.  There are too many telegraphs for people to be avoiding all of them.  Many telegraphs are not really avoidable either because they are channeled and immediate or because they are simply too fast.  Many are not reliably avoid because they are large and dash is buggy.  Some telegraphs absolutely should be interrupted because they do things like Hold someone and then attempt to kill them while held.

if you react to every telegraph as "run away" yeah maybe,  but in point of fact WS doesn't really work this way.  Its far closer to a traditional EQ-type game than people think.  The telegraphs allow for some unique choreography in a fight.  Like with stormtalon the end-phase telegraph where you need to stay in the "safe-zone".  And this is a good thing.  But don't fooled this is not a real action game and you do not need to be constantly running around.

• I find it a pain in the ass.  I just wanna come home from work and enjoy a game where I can chat with my friends in the game and stuff and not have to spam double dash keys.

Systems like this are ok in single player games but not in a game where you can possibly spend years playing.

Gets tiring fast.  For me, anyway.