Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The End of an Era: EA Shutters Mythic

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

And there goes the best MMO development company ever made. In all fairness, this company was dead as soon as EA bought them.

If EA owns it, it's going to lose money, be an abomination, or be closed down. BioWare is next on the list I think.

This says it all.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Titanfall is EA too. That game is doing well. Dark Age of Camelot is still going on .The company was quite dead a long time ago I doubt anyone would even recall it since it has done little of value after Dark Age.

• dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I wish EA would buy out Perfect World I wanna see them go down so badly.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by BMBender

Originally posted by TheHavok

Originally posted by BMBender lol, again with the melodramatic titles. End of an era huh? An era of mediocrity perhaps, they made one decent game out of how many? sheesh get a grip.
    Well regardless of how you, or I, or Mmorpg.com feels about Mythic, they are still one of the early pioneers of MMOs and a long veteran in online gaming. A certain amount of acknowledgment to this seems fitting.
    I acknowledge they were able to make 1 one successful game over a decade ago. I acknowledge they spent the last decade trying and failing to accomplish anything else. Pioneers all right...

"Pioneers" of anything usually do not adapt to the change that takes a thing or situation from a "Frontier" to "Civilization". This is not surprising.

Give me a Frontier back in MMOs.(wishful thinking.. the Frontier is gone)

I hope all the employees of Mythic can find new and better employment. Thank you Mythic for the enjoyment you provided us.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

This bit of news makes me very sad. DAoC was the first MMORPG I really got into and passionately liked. I remember engaging in forum battles on vnboards against the other realms. I never was so passionate for any other MMO as I was for DAoC despite it being far from perfect. My first experience though was when the EU servers were under the control of GOA. It was not until a little later that I dealt with Mythic at all. Overall my experience was excellent with both DAoC and WAR.

I really loathed the fact that Mythic got bought up by EA and knew that this would be the inevitable outcome seeing as EA has done the exact same thing with other game companies that I liked.

It seems like a lot of the companies that grew up and became popular or infamous back in the 90s and early 00s are slowly disappearing.

I am glad that DAoC itself is not dead.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

This bit of news makes me very sad. DAoC was the first MMORPG I really got into and passionately liked. I remember engaging in forum battles on vnboards against the other realms. I never was so passionate for any other MMO as I was for DAoC despite it being far from perfect. My first experience though was when the EU servers were under the control of GOA. It was not until a little later that I dealt with Mythic at all. Overall my experience was excellent with both DAoC and WAR.

I really loathed the fact that Mythic got bought up by EA and knew that this would be the inevitable outcome seeing as EA has done the exact same thing with other game companies that I liked.

It seems like a lot of the companies that grew up and became popular or infamous back in the 90s and early 00s are slowly disappearing.

I am glad that DAoC itself is not dead.

This is what I wanted to say... but MurlockDance did it better than I could today.. Thanks MurlocDance.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Just a backhanded distortion and ridicule of Capitalism ? Where's the "from each according to their abilities ...to each according to their needs " pitch ?
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Not surprised.  It is the way "capitalism" works today.  If you can't invent, create or design you buy and wipe out the competition.  Then you strip down the company you bought, take what you want and discard the husk.  At the same time you destroy the threat that a creative company poses to your company as a bonus.

Oh b.s.    It's the same as it's always been.  Use to be a lot worse in the past actually. Less regulation. EA isn't a freaking charity and the last mmo that Mythic made stunk.  Maybe if Mythic had delivered on what they said they could things would be different but they didn't.  EA earns a bit of deserved flak. But every little thing isn't them being the bad guys.  It's them doing business just like anyone else would.

People loosing their jobs sucks.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

EA : hello my name is death ..nice to meet you mythic

Myhtic : "sigh"

EA :  **waves down the street**  oh! and hello there Bioware..ill be seeing you soon!

Bioware : **clutches note books and laptops n starts packing**

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Mythic was dead the moment they launched Warhammer On Line.

Mark Jacobs was fired but everyone knew that game would become TH END of Mythic by early 2009 already.

It is sursprising EA took it this long (probably because  of the 10K players of DAoC ...)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Best of luck to the tech staff. I hope they all manage to find new jobs, or start their own studio.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by sportsfan
    Mythic was dead the moment they launched Warhammer On Line.Mark Jacobs was fired but everyone knew that game would become TH END of Mythic by early 2009 already.It is sursprising EA took it this long (probably because  of the 10K players of DAoC ...)
    agreed, its why I'm mystified by all the boohoo melodrama about Mythic shutting down. A for profit company, or division of a larger one, shuts down due to failing to secure adequate market share and people are sad? DAOC was good no argument from me, but that's ALL they accomplished, it's not like they made world piece or cured cancer. Heck they couldn't even stay relevant in an industry some here say they "pioneered" /shrugs guess some are more easily impressed than others

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Well look at that. Yet another formerly high-quality development company killed off by the overly greedy fucks at EA. Just add 'em to the list with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Criterion, and all the other promising studios they've obliterated.

If Dragon Age 3 doesn't meet sales expectations, Bioware will be next. No sense keeping the name around if it can't draw in the sales like it used to.

whats the whole "greedy" argument? a business exists to make money, not insure people have jobs.  If you don't like the product or have something personal against the company, don't spend your dollars on it, pretty straight forward.

No.

According to Proctor and Gamble, circa the 40's:

The first duty of a corporation is to its customers,

Second to society,

Third to employees,

Fourth to management,

and last to shareholders.

The idea that corporations are nothing but greed fest evil gangs, comes to us from Milton Friedman, and he was wrong.

Because: Greed is Evil.

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

Well look at that. Yet another formerly high-quality development company killed off by the overly greedy fucks at EA. Just add 'em to the list with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Criterion, and all the other promising studios they've obliterated.

If Dragon Age 3 doesn't meet sales expectations, Bioware will be next. No sense keeping the name around if it can't draw in the sales like it used to.

whats the whole "greedy" argument? a business exists to make money, not insure people have jobs.  If you don't like the product or have something personal against the company, don't spend your dollars on it, pretty straight forward.

Whence the term 'overly greedy'. Greed can be a very good thing, and is in fact one of the main motivators for people / companies to innovate and produce quality good & services. There is a fine line there however, and when a company starts buying up reputable smaller companies and using their good name to sell as much crap product as possible before shutting it down, they've crossed it.

In short, greed is good until you start screwing over your own employees and customers because of it.

For the record, I don't buy EA's crap.

Ronald Reagan was morally wrong, greed is evil.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil." Pretty sure that is from some document called "The Holy Bible".

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I wish I could dig up all the threads on it, but we had quite a few threads here about four years ago when EA first started saying they were shifting toward F2P and mobile. Here's one, but there were others that had flat out said there was a move toward mobile within the company. 

This isn't EA being evil, greedy, the devil incarnate, etc... it's a company just executing (I know you'll have fun with that word)  the next step in a plan they not only set in motion four years ago, but publicly announced so.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by JC-Smith
    Can't say that it's unexpected but it's still sad to see Mythic go. DAoC was a very important title for MMOs, it showed that PvP was viable.

YES.  

This site needs a 'like' or 'thumbs up' option. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    EA released the people that should not have been in the building to start.  EA continues to do the correct things operationally and most importantly make great games.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Gotta love people on here... EA has done many shitty things but closing down worthless companies they own isn't one of them because quite simply: If they are not worth keeping around they get axed, if this was the same group that made DAoC they sure as Hell would have not shit the bed with WAoR. The cold hard facts are that usually a company gets bought for the name and the IP not the people within it and the people who were the original Mythic left before it became part of EA so mourning the end of Mythic and blaming EA is like mourning a stranger who has the name of a loved one who was taken off life support by one of their family and blaming the family for that person's death.

Follow people gents not companies because otherwise you will be complaining more than gaming.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Good for them. Bullfrog, Westwood and now Mythic, they all needed to go. Good thing EA is looking out for us.

Edit.
    Since some people are very thick; this was sarcasm.
    I've been boycotting EA for years now, not one cent I'm paying these fuckheads.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Read the notice carefully...Notice they emphasize "mobile"...I fear that we are really seeing the end of PC and MMO gaming as many are headed towards mobile apps, where they can make more money with a single free app than they can with a 100 million budget MMO.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Was ea also responsible for shitcanning e&b (one of the best mmo. Not running anymore). If so, one more reason to shun ea.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I've noticed that too, it's sad as hell :(
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

You don't have a business without someone to provide the service or make the product, just like there is no point to a product or service if there isn't anyone to buy it and or use it.  A business is as obligated to the the employees as the employees are obligated to the business in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of the social contract.  Cutting corners, using cheaper materials, firing high pay employees and replacing them with low pay employees is the epitome of greed.  There are ethics to be considered in every aspect of life.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Read the notice carefully...Notice they emphasize "mobile"...I fear that we are really seeing the end of PC and MMO gaming as many are headed towards mobile apps, where they can make more money with a single free app than they can with a 100 million budget MMO.

There is money to be made in any of the current platforms, not sure why they would stop catering to one and somehow think focusing on the other will bring in more money than both combined.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Theocritus

There is money to be made in any of the current platforms, not sure why they would stop catering to one and somehow think focusing on the other will bring in more money than both combined.

If the costs are lower and the reach/adoption greater, then it's worth the shift for them. Due to lower production cost and different expectations from the consumer, a developer could probably make a dozen decent mobile games for the price of developing a single AAA PC/console title.