Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't get why people complain about MMOs that require decent system specs...

TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149

MMOs prob require the lowest specs of any video game on computers. Yet when a company tries to make a MMO that requires something like a quad core CPU and an actual video card instead embedded graphics. You have these people that come out and start going waaaaa... I can't play it on my walmart special from 6 years ago with a dual card and 3gbs of ram.. Waaaa...

Time to upgrade.. If you want to play video games get a desktop not a laptop that can't be expanded. We are up to 12 core CPU's. It should be expected at this point that quad core is somewhat of the standard.

I already see people bitching about Black Desert...

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Where do people complain about this ?
  • Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by DamonVile

On the Commodore 64 forums...

• TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Read through the threads that discus cartoony graphics. Comes up quite often

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I do not think it is a complaint about the game, but more about the market that will support the game.  You make a game that only 10% of people can play, then the company can not be surprised if it tanks in the market.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

If you are talking about WildStar....well people have reasons to rant about....

Oldschool graphics with beyond needed requirements....

...specially when you see far superior games in graphics like TESO run smooth like a hot knife cutting butter.

Originally posted by Horusra
    I do not think it is a complaint about the game, but more about the market that will support the game.  You make a game that only 10% of people can play, then the company can not be surprised if it tanks in the market.

Quad core and 6gb of ram is 10% of people? Sorry it is time for people with dual cores and 4gb of ram to get new computers.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    As mentioned above, it's an issue of what the market will support. And there are far, far too many people who expect to be able to play everything on their $300 Wal-mart special.

<3

Originally posted by dreamscaper
    As mentioned above, it's an issue of what the market will support. And there are far, far too many people who expect to be able to play everything on their $300 Wal-mart special.

Yeah it is annoying.. I knew someone who came across good money for a PC and ended up buying an HP from bestbuy for 700 dollars. It was a POS.. Too many people get screwed with those computer.

I hope steam machine can help those people out..

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    There's a difference between needing a new computer to play the latest high-tech games and needing a new computer to play a horrible performing game.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Takoo
    We are up to 12 core CPU's.

While there technically are 12-core CPUs, have you seen what they cost?  The cheapest I found is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113304

And that's not a good gaming processor, either.  If you want an Intel 12-core CPU, then have fun with that:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116926

-----

My objection to the system specs in the original post is that they're nonsensical.  A Core i3-330UM, for example, will lose badly to some of the Kabini chips that AMD sells for nettops.  A Core i3-4360 is perhaps 4 times that fast--and, for that matter, 2-3 times as fast as the Core i5-430UM that, as a Core i5, would technically meet the recommended specs.

And a Radeon HD 3870 X2 as the minimum spec?  What reasonable person ever put a CrossFire rig in the minimum specifications?

• PogoantPogoant Member UncommonPosts: 13

It took me 5 years to save enough money to buy a half a$$ed gaming machine.  My old PC was maxed out, couldn't support enough RAM to do crap with todays mmorpg's.   I had to make due with lag and performance issues a lot.  Some people... a lot of people just don't have 5k, or even 1k  to drop on a machine because they work a real job and have to support a real family, or mommy and daddy isn't rich and can't afford to silver spoon feed them.  The point is...most peeps at least in my case, play these games to take a break and get away from reality for an hour or two to express imagination and unwind in a bada$$ world where there are no consequences for killing stuff.  If you can justify 5k for an hour or two every couple of days or even once a day than kudos to you for having rich parents, a trust fund or some other type of financial boon.  Most of us go to the school of hard knocks and I know I can't buy diapers and spend 5k for a machine at the same time.  Whats that?  Nooooo, with out us poor people you wouldn't have anyone to play your mmorpg with.  So yes, some people complain about high system reqs, and I don't judge them for doing so because I know what it's like to be broke and enjoy mmorpg's at the same time.

Now, if you are still playing on your old comador 64, than yes, it's time to upgrade or give up gaming on a PC and dust off the old Atari for some hot pong action.  If you paid 3k for your almost top of the line rig 6 years ago and your games run like crap.... complain away and do a little more research on the next machine you buy for upgradability.  If you bought the latest and greatest machine for movies and microsoft word and can't play games on it even though you payed a ton of money for yer shiny new machine than you need to get a little more PC savvy and gut yer machine or add to it and stop complaining.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

PC Gaming is a hobby, and like most hobbies money must be spent to keep up with the hobby. I have very little sympathy about keeping requirements low aka in the past...at some point for the PC Game tech to move forward the bar has got to be raised.

You can build a great rig for like $1200 and a good gaming rig for like 600-800, so if this is truly a hobby for someone it would behoove them to "invest" in a new computer for their enjoyment.

The way I view it is if my hobby wasn't PC gaming it would be going out more often and doing the nightlife thing every weekend (For me its about 100-200 every time I do that) or even console gaming which is a low end gaming PC at roughly 400-600 adding in 1-2 games and the "premium" online stuff.

TLDR

PC Games wait for no man! Evolve that dinosaur of a rig or perish.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    For by far the majority having is not a hobby it I'd an idle diversion a time waster something to do besides or in addition to watching tv. ExPecting then to pay big money for an idle diversion is prettysilly. If the game realizes this and chooses not to target them so be it. If he game hopes people will do it for them they are in for a rude aawakening.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Having= gaming
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Takoo
    Originally posted by Horusra

Quad core and 6gb of ram is 10% of people? Sorry it is time for people with dual cores and 4gb of ram to get new computers.

I was talking more ingeneral like when EQ2 came out.  I have not seen people complaining recently about stuff.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Well, so you have a decent computer? Good for you. The bad news is, there are millions of pc gamer all across the globe that don't have the same income/luck as you. A good developer should have see that coming, and optimize their game so everyone can play. 

Wildstar is undoubtly unoptimized for that kind of graphic. I can play ArcheAge with better and smoother fps than Wildstar. About Black Desert, it's not that demanding, especially the gpu requirements.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    For by far the majority having is not a hobby it I'd an idle diversion a time waster something to do besides or in addition to watching tv. ExPecting then to pay big money for an idle diversion is prettysilly. If the game realizes this and chooses not to target them so be it. If he game hopes people will do it for them they are in for a rude aawakening.

What is "big money"

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Making games is a business.  

The higher you set the specs on your game, the less people that can play it. 

The more money you spend on high-end graphics in your game, the less money you have to spend on other parts of development.   Budgets are budgets, games have them, and every dollar you spend on graphics is a dollar you don´t spend elsewhere.

The more you push the technical limits of your engine, the more client issues you are going to have.  Games like AoC pushed the graphics limits of their engine, and they paid for it the first month after launch as they had all types of v-card issues.  There were players who computers well above the specs who couldn´t run the game at all.   Push graphics = prepare for more tech support staffing

Pushing graphics also results in design compromises.  There are games that want super detailed high-end graphics, and so they are forced to instance every little part of the game.  Nothing like having a loading screen every time you enter or exit a random building.

MMOs are about combat.  Ask me what I prefer.. a 1000 extra polys on my character model, or a fighting animation that fires as soon as I tough a button and gives visual feedback quickly to what is happening in that combat.

One of the BIGGEST reasons WOW is WOW is because of their art and graphic choices.   They are more than happy to collect $15 per month from those people with a $300 walmart e-machine.

Big money is thousands of dollars.
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Pogoant

It took me 5 years to save enough money to buy a half a$$ed gaming machine.  My old PC was maxed out, couldn't support enough RAM to do crap with todays mmorpg's.   I had to make due with lag and performance issues a lot.  Some people... a lot of people just don't have 5k, or even 1k  to drop on a machine because they work a real job and have to support a real family, or mommy and daddy isn't rich and can't afford to silver spoon feed them.  The point is...most peeps at least in my case, play these games to take a break and get away from reality for an hour or two to express imagination and unwind in a bada$$ world where there are no consequences for killing stuff.  If you can justify 5k for an hour or two every couple of days or even once a day than kudos to you for having rich parents, a trust fund or some other type of financial boon.  Most of us go to the school of hard knocks and I know I can't buy diapers and spend 5k for a machine at the same time.  Whats that?  Nooooo, with out us poor people you wouldn't have anyone to play your mmorpg with.  So yes, some people complain about high system reqs, and I don't judge them for doing so because I know what it's like to be broke and enjoy mmorpg's at the same time.

Now, if you are still playing on your old comador 64, than yes, it's time to upgrade or give up gaming on a PC and dust off the old Atari for some hot pong action.  If you paid 3k for your almost top of the line rig 6 years ago and your games run like crap.... complain away and do a little more research on the next machine you buy for upgradability.  If you bought the latest and greatest machine for movies and microsoft word and can't play games on it even though you payed a ton of money for yer shiny new machine than you need to get a little more PC savvy and gut yer machine or add to it and stop complaining.

Maybe PC gaming isnt for you, try something else. If you love gaming, get a console, it'll last longer than your average PC.

TBH holding on to a 5 year old PC is quite normal. Back then I ran on single core (OC) AthlonXP, when everyone is on quad core already. I upgraded because lightning fried my PC. Now I have a decent rig, 2 years old. Might upgrade this year.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Big money is thousands of dollars.

Quad core or 6, 8 core AMD and 8gb of ram is not thousands of dollars.

Originally posted by yaminsux
    Originally posted by Pogoant

Maybe PC gaming isnt for you, try something else. If you love gaming, get a console, it'll last longer than your average PC.

TBH holding on to a 5 year old PC is quite normal. Back then I ran on single core (OC) AthlonXP, when everyone is on quad core already. I upgraded because lightning fried my PC. Now I have a decent rig, 2 years old. Might upgrade this year.

Yeah most people that bitch about PC cost forget to factor in a few things. One is that if you buy a decent case and power supply that can last quite a long time.. My corsair PSU 520 watt was 5 years old and the only reason I replaced it is because I wanted to crossfire a video card. CPUs last forever..

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

"I don't get why people complain about MMOs that require decent system specs..."

Because they don't have decent system specs.....what don't you get?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Zorgo

"I don't get why people complain about MMOs that require decent system specs..."

I don´t agree with this.  I have a really good computer.  But like I said in my previous post, I know that games that push graphics are giong to end up wasting a lot of dev time on something that isn´t really important to me, and they are going to have a lot of tech support headaches from people who are barely beating the specs.

Graphics do not make a game, gameplay does.

Originally posted by Azrile
    Originally posted by Zorgo

I don´t agree with this.  I have a really good computer.  But like I said in my previous post, I know that games that push graphics are giong to end up wasting a lot of dev time on something that isn´t really important to me, and they are going to have a lot of tech support headaches from people who are barely beating the specs.

Graphics do not make a game, gameplay does.

Id like to see a higher standard for graphics in for MMO's.. Not saying to make MMO's using the crytek engine but I think they can do better.