Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfortunately, we all know the truth about this game...

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Wildstar looks horrible. Every time I see videos of the game I feel like i need to go to the toilet to throw up.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

This game isn't half finished, but it won't be huge at all for other reasons.

Reason being, this game only appeals to people who enjoy seriously raiding bosses with 19-39 other people while defeating said boss with a limited choice of skills that once pressed will execute a very lame animation in the triangle telegraph in front of your character.  While doing this, you must also be wary of red triangles of death that will wipe your raid and cycle interrupt skills.  The end. 

Jokes aside, the truth is their game is not built to appeal to a wide variety of players.  Just the hardcore and "classic wow feels" players.  

I'm as hardcore as they come, but this game just isn't for me.  The lore is essentially non-existent and I can't take the game seriously at all as a result, my guildies feel the same, and the skill system/combat makes me feel like i'm playing the MOBA smite, and that isn't how I like my raiding.  For those that can tolerate those two aspects though, I'm sure they will enjoy the large amounts of raiding content that carbine has planned, or atleast constantly brags about having planned.  

I am a huge WoW fan who loved every bit of classic WoW. I never got the same feeling playing Wildstar that I got from playing WoW. It's not even close. The music in WoW was way more epic, the graphics for some reason felt more immersive (maybe beecause I was used to the Warcraft style from WC3), the class design was epic, animations were unlike anything I have ever seen. Even to this date I would argue WoW is in a league of its own when it comes to animations.

But most importantly (and this is probably why I am super biased) WoW had one thing which none of the other MMOs have. I love the warcraft universe. I don't care about Wildstar's world/story/lore etc. 

There are three games where I cared about the world - GW, WoW, ESO. But nothing was on the epic scale like WoW. WoW at launch for me was just perfect. When I was playing it, I couldn't think of one thing which I wanted to change (other than server lag/dcs)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Bootez

We've seen this so often. Even I almost bought into the hype. And, at this point, who knows, I may fall into the insanity that is buying this game.

It is insanity for a reason: We keep buying these half-finished MMOs, hoping for that old feeling of adventure. I don't see how this game could possibly be any different. The MMO industry is repeating itself. But this game isn't smooth. It isn't a piece of art.

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves. This game lacks the fine details that make a game a piece of art. I have yet to find an environment in this game that shows an artist's touch. They are talented, yes, but they aren't putting their souls into this game and it becomes painfully obvious when you take a close look at the textures and animations.

Just like all of the recently mmo releases (Apart from maybe Guild Wars 2?), this game fails in the art department. And unfortunately, that is what makes an MMO a living, breathing thing. It needs the fine details in combat as well as art to make it work, which is why WoW has dominated the scene for so long (Apart from Panda-land, which, regardless of how silly some of the expansion is, the environment is still a work of art). 

Deep down, I feel like we all know this. Even my most-excited gamer friends have realized the failure train that this game is on. 

stopped reading after the red part, obviously this is a troll post, not based on any infos.

maybe check the game you talk about next time before you make some useless comments. lemme guess, you leveld up to level 5 and then made a post with 500 words? whatever

and sorry, but for someone talking so many words about art... you should realize art is a matter of style, which again is a matter of taste - and you sir, didnt get it - and the failure bus already left, with you aboard.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• IsarIsar Member Posts: 1

I'm not sure how people are getting such low FPS?  I'm getting at least 100 to 180 in the current ops week at 1920x1600 resolution.

aside from that I've found the game to be fun and it has humour, sometimes it's nice to see that instead of all the seriousness in most other games.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    If you're worried about it wait a month and see what happens. If it's a good mmo it will be around for years. If it's bad it will be pretty obvious after the first 30 days and you'll have saved yourself the time and money.

This ^^

You can just stay away and save your money and your time. So simple :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Immersion is important. THere are plenty of mmo's that make you feel like you're in another world. ESO did a good job of it with the good banter of the npc's and it was beautiful. AA makes the world seem so real, but that's because its always so lively and no load screens allows for you to feel immersed in the world, but the AA npc's don't do shit. I feel immersed in WS right from the get go, mainly cause the exiles remind me so much of the browncoats, but I love the western feel and accent of the faction. The area are so huge and the npc's are always busy. I played wow for years and I never read a quest or cared about the lore, but I enjoy the back story of WS, from the way the races stories imteract with each other to getting the datacrons and learning more about the eldans. Besides there is so much to do in WS, you have both quantity and quality.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I do not understand the poor performance issues . I ran it yesterday on my GTX 580 was getting about 75 fps on 1600 x 1200 resolution,no shadows I never run shadows if I can avoid it. It dropped to 45 -50 sometimes but it ran really smoothly.

I have never been very good at appreciating art when I lived in Spain and my relatives would come to drag me off to Prado I would skulk about in some corner with an audio book waiting for them to finish so I could go home. God I hate living in artsy fartsy places like Madrid and Rome because relatives and friends force you to go to museums and churches.

One thing about this flowing grass thing that you pointed out, the whole art direction you suggested of this game coming from a total peasant like me seems not to fit. The art does not go with flowing grass. Sticks of grass jammed into the ground that move uniformly actually work IMO with the art style. The art style is unique and it flows throughout what I have currently experienced. I'm a huge anime and cartoon fan and I have a huge I mean huge comic book collection which my husband weeps over every time we  move and my son shows his friends as his own (bloody poser). I can definitely get a world feeling that is very complete but again IMO you have to feel the art actually like it I mean to see how very well done it is. The over the top colours,running animations,cute characters ,adorable props and yes even the trees and grass contribute to this art style. The quests quirkiness and dialogue it has an overall mood and atmosphere that you either hate or love like I do. It actually works together in an alarmingly crazy and wonderfully innovative style that creates a totally beautiful world.

So OP I happen to think the art is very nice . They have an immersive world that has lore if you bother to read and I am sorry that you do not get it though. The art is polarizing ,it's either love or hate and no in betweens.

Chamber of Chains
  • HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97
    What one man calls "Art" another man calls a turd on a canvas. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. If you don't like the "Art" of the game, move along and stop complaining.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Yeap I am with you OP if the grass does move together the game is garbage. Note to devs I want different kind of grass, tall grass, thick grass, skinny grass, short grass, green grass, red grass, blue grass, well you get the point  -----------> this way to sarcasm grass house.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Vee4240Vee4240 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Isar

I'm not sure how people are getting such low FPS?  I'm getting at least 100 to 180 in the current ops week at 1920x1600 resolution.

aside from that I've found the game to be fun and it has humour, sometimes it's nice to see that instead of all the seriousness in most other games.

I still dont understand either. My frames are at a constant 60+ (80+ when Im out doing my solo thang) and thats even in a heavily populated Thayd @ 1920x 1600. I chalk it up to older systems that are own by ppl that refuse to upgrade and think that everything is suppose to run flawlessly on their rig stil the cows come home. 

I also like the airy feeling of the WS lore and world. That dark and grungy feeling gets to serious for me at times. But I can honestly say that I can take the game serious when it needs to be. 

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

Fps issues come from the game not really using many CPUs. For instance, you have 8 cores (YOUR 8 CORE CPU MIGHT WORK FINE, IT JUST IS WITH CERTAIN MODELS), the game only uses 2 cores at 60% load and the rest are at 10%. Result is you enjoying 30 fps with a 2000$ rig. This is my problem at least, the game runs better on my 4 year old laptop with i5 dualcore. It used to be even worse as it didn't use the newest graphics card efficiently as well, but that's fixed now. Many people also have fps problems with AMD cards. If you have no problems then that's great. But there's really nothing for you to understand, the problem just exists and it has nothing to do with settings or anything a lot of you imagine, it's just the game not using  new hardware.

As on topic, personally art means nothing to me. I would rather play a DOS game from 80s with 16 colors than some of the new games with highend graphics. Gameplay is most important in the long term. Graphics are important for short-term games. Personally I can only look at grass when looking youtube videos, ingame I watch stats. To each their own.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

We've seen this so often. Even I almost bought into the hype. And, at this point, who knows, I may fall into the insanity that is buying this game.

It is insanity for a reason: We keep buying these half-finished MMOs, hoping for that old feeling of adventure. I don't see how this game could possibly be any different. The MMO industry is repeating itself. But this game isn't smooth. It isn't a piece of art.

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves. This game lacks the fine details that make a game a piece of art. I have yet to find an environment in this game that shows an artist's touch. They are talented, yes, but they aren't putting their souls into this game and it becomes painfully obvious when you take a close look at the textures and animations.

Just like all of the recently mmo releases (Apart from maybe Guild Wars 2?), this game fails in the art department. And unfortunately, that is what makes an MMO a living, breathing thing. It needs the fine details in combat as well as art to make it work, which is why WoW has dominated the scene for so long (Apart from Panda-land, which, regardless of how silly some of the expansion is, the environment is still a work of art). 

Deep down, I feel like we all know this. Even my most-excited gamer friends have realized the failure train that this game is on. 

You know how stupid this sounds?

You dont give a single game related reason why this specific game would fail?

So you are telling me this game will fail because all others have failed too?

So you are telling me MMO´s allways fail?

Well... only for people that dont like MMO´s... thats the kind of people who call these games a fail

Move on to another genre, or go enjoy real life

Pretty much ... This. Jeez OP FUD much.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I find art style one of the least desired traits that make an MMO a living breathing world.  But that's just me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• 207312207312 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I don't give a fuck about art.

It's the gameplay in wildstar that sucks.

• CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Yes, the grass has always bugged me, too. First thing I check in every MMO. Does the grass look natural?

This is why I think EVE is a piece of sh!t - no grass at all! What were they thinking?!? It's like they just don't get it. I'm so glad I have finally found a kindred soul!!

Omg owned so hard lol.

I preordered the game without trying it because i feel it was a mmo for my linking. Then i tried this weekend when server were open. I went in no life mode and did my first dungeon / housing stuff.

Lol game is so so solid. I just cant wait to see raids and warplots. Im going to buy a new laptop (MSI GS60) this week and a new gaming mouse (naga maybe). So excited.

See you IG. 

• AlturisAlturis Member Posts: 28

To the OP and all of the other people who are here stating "we think this game will fail because it isn't our favorite look/art".

Please don't speak for others or the general populace you know nothing about. I love the game, is the art perfect no. That being said I can enjoy it and watch it improve over the many months and years of enjoyment I will get out of a great game with great developers.

I personally feel this game is one of the most complete and polished games for launch I've seen in a long time. I wish they had worked to optimize it for the AMD crowd earlier but aside from that (which they are and will fix) this game has more at launch than most have in a year post launch and more than some have with an expansion.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

People are right to bring up the performance issues.

WS went with crappy graphics, yet is still performs poorly especially in 40 man content which is supposed to be one of the big selling points of the game.

It is not acceptable and reviewers are going to slam this game very hard.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ESO was half finished. WS is not even out so how can it be half finished and get away with it? i dont think its fair to say its not finished until it launches. If content is missing they will probably add it before or at launch, i dont know maybe im wrong. Just wait and see. Didnt they say they had like a year of end game content on the table?

With that said, while i dont think WS is half finished, it has a number of things that should have been better developed and totally different. Like the questing and the hugely limited one weapon class idea.

Performance is shitty, that i agree with.

• Speaking of grass; maybe the OP should stop smoking it.
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    The grass in MMO's always sucks.  Maybe they should try switching to Kentucky Bluegrass.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by kairel182

I disagree.  The game ran terribly and the combat was gimmicky and very clunky. 

This is when everyone stopped reading, you see, they optimized the game, and you clearly didn't give it a go, or have bothered to be in the know enough to realize why the game is still being optimized, and yet it already HAS been quite a bit, even from open beta.

So sir, here is where everyone stopped reading.

I stopped reading at 1/2 finished MMO lol. Fact is, over my 15 years of MMOing I have never seen a MMO launch with more elder game and also be so polished. This follows every MMO launch, the slew of haters that just want to hate. Uniformed posts that state things that are not even close to what is. Im sure we will get 3-10 threads a day just like this for many weeks =-)

EDIT: This is a set of posts from another thread to shoot down the 1/2 done part of Wildstar lol

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by kikosforever
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Kaladin

So much focus on housing and guild housing has left them with no time to develop anything else.  I mean, other than:

• Veteran Dungeons and Adventures
    • Open World Bosses
    • 20 man raids
    • 40 man raids
    • 80 man raid for final weapon Imbuements
    • 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arenas
    • Battlegrounds
    • Warplots (Battle housing including the ability to summon bosses to fight with you)
    • Paths (Reasons to do additional content of your choosing)
    • A crafting system with talents and specializations within a chosen craft
    • Story line that can be done solo, that takes you through the raid dungeons and gives you more lore detail than actually doing the raid.

These are all features that Carbine has developed in great detail.

Also dont forget when you are done the solo leveling story it unlocks an elder game solo story that starts at level 50 thats as big as any story line you get going from level 1-top level in any game. They also plan on updating that end game story so it keeps going to keep solo gamers hooked.

Plus Shiphands and Zone Events :)

Ya Shiphands are awesome. Solo dungeons, real dungeons =-) and even better you can bring friends. They really capture the team work side of MMOs. CLICK HERE if you want to learn more about it.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Vee4240
    Originally posted by Isar

I still dont understand either. My frames are at a constant 60+ (80+ when Im out doing my solo thang) and thats even in a heavily populated Thayd @ 1920x 1600. I chalk it up to older systems that are own by ppl that refuse to upgrade and think that everything is suppose to run flawlessly on their rig stil the cows come home. 

I also like the airy feeling of the WS lore and world. That dark and grungy feeling gets to serious for me at times. But I can honestly say that I can take the game serious when it needs to be. 

I have a 6 core PC from 2 years ago with a top mid range 1gig video card from 5 years ago and I get 40-60 FPS easy.

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Since everyone is so adept at predicting the fall of games so well, how about you instead hand out some winning powerball numbers.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

"this game fails in the art department."

8 pages so far and people still cant tell a troll. Well when you say World Of warcraft has better art.. really you need to reply?

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Wildstar is different enough to be more enjoyable than the current iteration of World of Warcraft.

Graphics are relative.  A game with crappy graphics and better overall game design could be better than a game with the best graphics in the genre and a mediocre design.  I'm not saying good graphics are a bad thing.  Good graphics get you looking at the game and looking into it's "personality" (features, gameplay, lore, ect).  Much like finding that special someone in RL.  If the graphics don't look good (even just a little) some people won't give the game a chance.

The problem we have right now is that WOW defined the genre.  It took what Everquest did right and improved on it.  With that being said, it also damaged the genre.  People want all these features and all this accessibility.  The problem with this mindset is that that screams "hey, copy me".  What we need are fewer copies and fewer games trying to be different  Basically?  We need more niche games.  Games that will attract players that prefer certain aspects that WOW doesn't have.  That is part of the reason why you see Sandbox thrown around so much.  Is Sandbox niche?  More or less.  It requires aspects that some people find not pleasing (Open World PVP for example)

We also have the people that rush through a game and complain there isn't enough content.  They need to realize that WOW has been around for 10-yrs.  It most definitely has more content than any new game being released.  People rush through these games, and then complain "oh noes, I out of stuff 2 do".  Content Update cycles are typically 6-12 months.  Sure, you can release some stuff every 1-3 months, but the question is; how much are you really getting?  A quest?  A quest arc??  Sure, easily done.  Releasing a full dungeon with art assets, gear, mobs, and interesting mechanics; 1-3 months is a stretch.

What Wildstar has going for it is that it is a fresh(er) rose smelling turd.  It has a lot of the same mechanics we've seen in other games, with some new takes and better combat and character customization.  It isn't a WOW clone, but it isn't completely new either.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity