Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Landmark: Caves, Dwarves, and Dark Elf Shenanigans

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today’s Landmark column delves primarily into two big things related to future development for Landmark with repercussions for Everquest Next's future. Aside from cave formations, we’ll be discussing a poll they put up to see what race should next get a head start in being developed: Dwarves, or Dark Elves.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Landmark: Caves, Dwarves, and Dark Elf Shenanigans.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Looking forward to dwarves. I love their digging and treasure hunting theme too much.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I just feel disappointed.  The game as is so far is fine, but I expected Landmark and thus Next to be much further along in the development cycle at this point.  At this rate Next might be in alpha later next year, just might.   
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I like the dwarves as well. They have a warm culture I wish we had in America.
  • joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

Dwarves!!!!!  But so far in the poll Dark elves are winning.

I am actually very excited by how the development team has  really made the players  a huge part of both games development.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I had hoped caves would be implemented at this point.  I'm bored with Landmark right now, so I'm waiting for caves or animals and monsters before I log-in again.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Dark Elves!!!

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Green plants in a cave. 'Nuff said.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    They shouldn't have polled dark elves.  While they might be more popular than dwarves they are just a reskin of elves.  Have distinct different races that add variety, dwarves are very iconic to fantasy and consider it an affront to not include em even though I never play dwarves.  Too many people like to play a cock in a frock.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

If you go into a cave in Malaysia the ferns are deep green . Try any tropical jungle caves and it will be abounding with green plants.  There is moisture and  the fact there are cracks in the ceiling  lead up to quite a muggy experience.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

Imagine things that do not happen in real life happens in a game that has elves....how crazy.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    eqn in 2014? lol dont make me laugh...we have seen much more of the division...and this one is probably not even releasing 2015
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I loved the Dark Elfs back in EQ1 along with my favorite Trolls. And I mean the Trolls with the first body type, I love me some hips:)! But didn't they say everybody will be able to be every class, and I am sure race abilities will mean nothing, so really why not just have a humanoid looking char and stop pretending there is a difference between races now:/
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Not much news on EQ next these days. No way it will be released 2014.

It's obviously way in development still. In fact it's that much in development they still seem to be sorting out the names of the games being released. Changing the name of EQ next landmark to landmark .... It shows they are way way back in development.

Since your still way back in development with EQnext I suggest you seriously change the graphics to non cartoony style please. If you want the EQ crowd that spend money to play.

Ofc you can keep it f2p and join rest of the f2p pile of Orc filth that is currently flooding the MMO world

Lost all interest in EQnext and it's co game whateva it is tbh.

first off cant agree with your....they change name so it got to be early in development thing, they use that for a sort of "we are listening to the community", but yea it seems they have putted EQnext development back on the slow track, in order to get an easier faster n cheaper game on the market - H1Z1, so guess it wont even be in 2015 ><

but guess will see on SOE fanfaire

also F2P, unless you can prove they can make more money on subs,,,,ALL their games will be F2P + strong encouragement to sub.

graphics...well I do agree, but I do prefer destructable world over less catoonish look.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I just feel disappointed.  The game as is so far is fine, but I expected Landmark and thus Next to be much further along in the development cycle at this point.  At this rate Next might be in alpha later next year, just might.   

So many people felt EQN was going to be the next great game when really none of us kenw anything about it other than the smoke and mirrors SOE was throwing at us....If some other company had this title I'd hold out more hope, but I just dont with SOE.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Not much news on EQ next these days. No way it will be released 2014. Who said it was? Common sense would tell you other wise.

It's obviously way in development still. In fact it's that much in development they still seem to be sorting out the names of the games being released. Changing the name of EQ next landmark to landmark .... It shows they are way way back in development. Or they are listening to the public and realize there is no EQ in Landmark so the title didn't make sense. Seems to be plenty of people that have no interest in EQN that are having fun with Landmark, no reason to confuse people more. While I wouldn't throw out the possibility that they attached the name to pull in people, not needed anymore.

Since your still way back in development with EQnext I suggest you seriously change the graphics to non cartoony style please. If you want the EQ crowd that spend money to play. EQ/EQ2/EQOA were all realistic looking? Seems the options these days are "cartoony" stylized (most games), "realistic" asian (Bless/BD) or brown (ESO). One simply fits better with the theme of the previous games and the tech they are using. Deal or no deal. EQ crowd is also a small fraction of the gamers they are trying to appeal to, seems this idea is crazy to some of us older players.

Ofc you can keep it f2p and join rest of the f2p pile of Orc filth that is currently flooding the MMO world. Other option is join the sub/box at release but will be F2P within a year pile? You can always pay the SOE sub if you have extra cash to throw away. 

Lost all interest in EQnext and it's co game whateva it is tbh. Yet you are still wasting time posting about it. sigh.

I don't care so much that I wrote this about you SOE!

• MoariNKMoariNK Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Thupli
    Looking forward to dwarves. I love their digging and treasure hunting theme too much.

I know, right? 

The fact that there is another race other than human, actually inspires more creativity with Landmark for me...

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    When is the survival stuff coming?
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    I liked this game, I bought into it obviously. But, I just wasn't happy with how empty the game was development wise. Honestly I felt like I couldnt do much and it was more a very limited game and not a total sandbox.
  • D35tR0D35tR0 Member Posts: 3

Anyone have a beta key - been lookin for months - please message me if you do!

• LabantLabant Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by flizzer

Get ready for disappointment then...If you know who Omeed is he has stated more than once that EQNext alpha cycle will start sometime next year so you aren't wrong.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Dwarves, to hell with Elves 

• mmorpgcommentsmmorpgcomments Member Posts: 18
    I know sony promises the fastest release possible but for me I am literally becoming narpalectic in anticipation for landmark's open beta. This is important because it will start to draw focus on the meat and potatoes of this game series, everquest next. I feel like I am in the longest and slowest waiting lines for those people looking to quest.
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    They harked around the EQ popular name. They harked that EQnext would be out this year. They pulled everyone in with EQnext

They harked and shouted to the world on the reveal day.. And they showed two titles..

They got the EQ bit thrown out.

Now you are left with some minecraft development tool and it's called landmark. They put the breaks on and decided they could make money with just this.

So what happened to EQnext. ?

Landmark is not EQNext, that was a huge mistake by them. There was a lot of upset feelings in Alpha as Landmark for many HAD to be Next and others just saw this sandbox game in development.

Landmark is and will be its own thing, yesterday we hung out on a claim, templated Dark Elf bulding accessories and chatted, it was fun but it is not anything everyone likes just as everyone does not like PVP. Caves and combat will change things, but it is and probably will remain a game that attracts more of non MMO players.

But I agree we will not see EQ Next until 2015.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Originally posted by D35tR0

Anyone have a beta key - been lookin for months - please message me if you do!

Look up the official Landmark forums many of the people streaming on Twitch has beta keys to give away and there are other giveaways now and then too,

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    By the time EQN releases there are going to be about as many PCs as there are lan phone lines.......I imagine they are probably gearing EQN for the PS4 (which is why I have little interest in it), and who knows maybe even tablets and phones.