Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raptr Most Played PC Games April 2014

Comments

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by koira1
    pretty nice % of users.. but how many users does this Raptr have? as they didnt mention that cant really figure out how many users that is..

Around 17 million in 2013.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/10/raptr-starts-releasing-its-most-played-games-of-the-month-black-ops-ii-is-tops-for-march/

OK, going by that number its what.. ~640k users? thats not bad actually, so far.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    pretty nice % of users.. but how many users does this Raptr have? as they didnt mention that cant really figure out how many users that is..

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/10/raptr-starts-releasing-its-most-played-games-of-the-month-black-ops-ii-is-tops-for-march/

If you go to wiki and look at the right it says 22 million as of 2014.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Around 22 million in 2014

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/11/gamer-social-network-raptr-reboots-as-a-pc-gaming-communication-platform/

edit-rodingo's link here

OK, going by that number its what.. ~640k users? thats not bad actually, so far.

On the ESO Raptr page it says ESO has 420K users with 304K active.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by rodingo

If you go to wiki and look at the right it says 22 million as of 2014.

source is there but i prefer a direct source

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/11/gamer-social-network-raptr-reboots-as-a-pc-gaming-communication-platform/

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Grunty
    I only have one of those games on my hard drive; Star Wars, The Old Republic. About every other time I start it up it asks for a one-time password sent by email so I shut down the launcher and play something else.

This is one of the main reasons i stopped playing Rift.

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77
    Who?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Chaosspeeder

I find it interesting that in the MMORPG genre three P2P games  in front of the first B2P game are listed.

There are no F2P MMORPGs on the list. 

I think it only counts those who have Raptr installed and sync with installed games so perhaps not many games that are F2P are seen as registed with Raptr.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     No... its because F2P and B2P games generally suck , providing little quality entertainment and have a difficult time of retaining any players because of it.. Hence very little time put into them .. 
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Its playtime chart, not users (as usual)

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

I find it interesting that in the MMORPG genre three P2P games  in front of the first B2P game are listed.

Didn't you see Warframe?

• redbug1redbug1 Member Posts: 21
    Ummm where is Archage on the list? Isn't it the second most populated game in the world?
  • CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by redbug1
    Ummm where is Archage on the list? Isn't it the second most populated game in the world?

You mean Aion?

• RosenthorneRosenthorne Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Havekk Not trying to be a dick, but what is raptr?
    Raptr

I only learned about it last year when Trion was using it in a big push to get players into Rift.  I signed up, played Rift for about 20 hours and got the Rift expansion for free becuase of it.  Sure not every gamer uses it, just like Xfire, however it has community membership for some games that go up to 2.5 million members.  So I would say it makes for a pretty decent sample size for getting trends.

Same here, and for MANY others I would assume...and Rift is not even on the list lol.

• AlturisAlturis Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know how this poll/statistic site obtains their numbers? Or what metric they are truly using?
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Raptr and xFire and similar obviously gather it via the client. Most other sites make up numbers. Either from scratch, or by extrapolating from scraps. Like gervaise1 (not meant as an insult!) did on page 3. If there is official data available, like quartely reports etc. they obviously get analyzed. Those usually do not directly state subscription numbers or even sales, but only turnover and revenue, often enough not even down to a single game, but franchise or studio based.

There is also the NPD Group and other market research companies. They may have access to more information than randomly searching on the internet, but overall their results are not really meaningful to judge MMOs by (IMHO).

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by thecapitaine

Didn't you see Warframe?

Obligatory 'Warframe is not an mmorpg' post, says so right on their website. 'Course, if you're going by this site's standards, then apparently anything that uses an internet connection is fair game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Havekk
    Not trying to be a dick, but what is raptr?

A game tracking website that has 11 times the users of mmorpg.com.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

From that list .. D3 & ESO and EQ2 is the other played

Given that I spent almost 10 hours on ESO yesterday, I think i'm spending more time on it lol

Originally posted by Havekk Not trying to be a dick, but what is raptr?
    A game tracking website that has 11 times the users of mmorpg.com.

It's also handy for constantly telling you how long you've been spending playing games, the fps you got and that the game isn't optimized for your machine ;-)

GW2 is popular? I got that, tried it for a bit and haven't touched it since.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Alturis Does anyone know how this poll/statistic site obtains their numbers? Or what metric they are truly using?
    sum of played hours.

You can get quite a shock when you get a message after logging off telling you that you've been online over a day lol

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

swtor.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Kilrain

swtor.

SWtOR isnt free to play. All you have to do is listen to the "freeloaders" whine about how its more of a "free extended trial". They all say it should be a true F2P MMO like Rift and Tera.

That and it does have a subscription.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

All that you can say about stats from services like XFire and Rapr is that it measures the behavior of the users who use their client. Thus, it is a "self-selected polling" mechanism, and if you know much about polling, you know how fraught with error that is. So, these are interesting, but not necessary representative.

BTW, the "members" and "active members" stats on pages reflect how many of their users have joined that game's community, and I think "active" just relates to how many people use their client. It does not apparently mean that the member is playing the specific game. For example, one of their users listed as active has only played one game, and it's not TESO.

Since I found Raptr, one interesting thing one can do with their stats, since they don't show trendlines, is to look at the ratio of a game's weekly playtime vs their monthly. If that ratio is around 25% (or maybe 22%, if they count a month as 30 days rather than 28), then the previous week's play has been level as compared to the month overall. Thus, it gives a way to detect the current trend.

If you do that analysis with WoW and SWTOR, they are even to slightly declining (about 22%). Eve is slightly growing (around 26%). TESO is falling significantly (around 16%)--in the past week (how long I've been looking), its weekly playtime number has dropped about 23%, from 159K hrs to 136K, which explains why it's week/month ratio is at 16%. A week ago, it was at position 8 for the month, it is now at position 10. If it continues the same trend, by the end of the month it will be at approximately position 12 at around 700K hours of play.

The current #5 on the list has about 1600K hours of play, so if Apr was like that, that's how far TESO's number has fallen.

I might also point out that given how many people probably marathoned TESO after they first got it, even with level sub numbers, a drop is probably to be expected to some extent. So, it's hard to draw any hard conclusions with these numbers, but until it levels off, it certainly doesn't look great.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Azmodeus

Let's see what kind of spin the hate train can use on this one. 

*Making popcorn*

Too funny, Raptor is a joke to determine how well a game is doing.

Example:

World of Tanks has like 60 bazillion million trillion players and makes like almost 400 million or so a year.  Looking at raptor you would never know.