Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this even a Mmo.

2»

Comments

• By "core systems" I don't mean the galaxtic core, but the main hubs of the three factions. (Federation, Empire and Alliance)

• sahibsahib Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

There are planned to be roughly 1 billion star systems. Bear in mind that there are only 7 billion humans on planet Earth!

Check your facts. From the official site:

It's an awe inspiring, beautiful, vast place; with 400 billion star systems, planets, moons and asteroid fields just waiting to be explored and exploited.

It's right there - on the first page.

• sahibsahib Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by sahib
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    I dont understand why all these games have to be all PVP, why cant they create a game that is PVE for once? EVE Star citizen and Elite all in the same boat PVP gankers abussing newer players this is a trend that never ends, do a freaking PVE game and create the option for those who want to PVP to raise their flags and PVP to all their content but players who like to explore, mine, trade etc and hate PVP need to have a room in this industry

"explore, mine, trade" holds no meaning if there is no decay in the universe requiering the replacement of stuff. You could make that mechanic of course, but people always finds ways to control any decay mechanic and PvE looses. The only way to make sure that these things stays meaningfull is through true loses for the players, and PvP provide that in a game

Speak for yourself. Exploring, mining and trading hold enough meaning for me (and I would guess many others) without the need for any decay-related annoyance. Especially one related to PvP.

You are describing a single player game though...

Not really. Some of us don't need PvP at all in a multiplayer game.

• mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

There are planned to be roughly 1 billion star systems. Bear in mind that there are only 7 billion humans on planet Earth!

Check your facts. From the official site:

It's an awe inspiring, beautiful, vast place; with 400 billion star systems, planets, moons and asteroid fields just waiting to be explored and exploited.

It's right there - on the first page.

In that statement they are combining star systems, planets, moons, and asteroid fields together to come up with the 400 billion number - which makes that number basically useless and misleading.

If it read "...with 400 billion star systems, each including planets, moons...." the way you are reading it would be right. Alas, they are using clever word play to trick you into thinking 400 billion star systems.

EDIT: Ok, I was wrong... even the new trailer says "400 billion star systems" - wow!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by hatefulpeace
    (...)

Thank you very much for clearing that up. That doesn't sound to bad. Will I still be able to play with a crappy DSL connection at 1.7mbps down or 170kbs and 440kbps up, or 44kbps. I can't host anything, so I don't think I could up load my position to 32 people at once. 

just for the record, for gaming dsl is more than enough :)

back in the days we hostet games on 8kb modems ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    32 people multiplayer that shares a database and generates instances is NOT an MMO.  That is all.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by hatefulpeace
    (...)

Thank you very much for clearing that up. That doesn't sound to bad. Will I still be able to play with a crappy DSL connection at 1.7mbps down or 170kbs and 440kbps up, or 44kbps. I can't host anything, so I don't think I could up load my position to 32 people at once. 

just for the record, for gaming dsl is more than enough :)

back in the days we hostet games on 8kb modems ^^

What record is that? What does back in the day have to do with anything. That would be like saying, just for the record a intel pentium 1 with 16mbs of ram, is more then enough to play todays game, back in the day we didnt even have hard drives.

You cant play this game with that internet connection. You are going to lag and skip all over the place, I already tried.... It will work single player for you, but no way should you expect to get a good experience with peer 2 peer games with a dsl connection.

Its going to suck up your whole internet connection, and make you lag all over the place.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by StarI
    32 people multiplayer that shares a database and generates instances is NOT an MMO.  That is all.

Well, maybe, but there are alot of people, inculding this website that think diablo 2 and 3, and path of exile are mmos so....

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I hope this game plays much like Diablo 3 does..  I hope I have the option to play the game solo, tanking on challenges as needed, or avoid them all together because it's too difficult.. That being said tho, I would like to see some MMO group options as well.. I would like to see global chat available, so that private solo adventures can be opened up for group play as well..  Those dangerous sectors and planets that I avoid due to difficulty are now possible because I'm bringing friends with me..  Anyways. Im waiting for more details and hoping for the best..
  • There will be options for offline solo mode and private group play as well as open multiplayer.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I dont understand why all these games have to be all PVP, why cant they create a game that is PVE for once? EVE Star citizen and Elite all in the same boat PVP gankers abussing newer players this is a trend that never ends, do a freaking PVE game and create the option for those who want to PVP to raise their flags and PVP to all their content but players who like to explore, mine, trade etc and hate PVP need to have a room in this industry

"explore, mine, trade" holds no meaning if there is no decay in the universe requiering the replacement of stuff. You could make that mechanic of course, but people always finds ways to control any decay mechanic and PvE looses. The only way to make sure that these things stays meaningfull is through true loses for the players, and PvP provide that in a game

That's only true in a game with a player run economy, which ED doesn't have. Although PvP is a part of the game, it's not going to be a driving force in it.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Wait a second, so this game is neither a MMO nor possesses a persistent world? It's basically a co-op game?

My enthusiasm just plummeted. Why is it even on this forum about MMO's?

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Speak for yourself. Exploring, mining and trading hold enough meaning for me (and I would guess many others) without the need for any decay-related annoyance. Especially one related to PvP.

That is precise what I am looking for, but maybe does not exist, I want a game where I can explore like forever and be able to trade, do missions, mine and feel the sense of awe similar to when i played EVE for first time, before the gankers spoiled the awe.

I am fine with PvP as long as it is consensual or in specific locations.

Hfzzt is correct in that if you wish to have any meaningful gameplay at all, you need to have some sort of decay system in place.   My preference is for item decay over PvP, but it really doesn't matter as long as I am not forced to PvP, and a little of both sounds like a good compromise.

How do you people expect to trade when there is no need for your trade items?   And do you find mining ore, filling your cargo hold, and returning to an NPC for a paycheck, entertaining?   I would find it mindlessly boring.   I want to mine something that I need or something that was worth something to another player.  Trying to corner the market on something perhaps.   This is what creates the core of interesting gameplay, for PvE and PvP players alike.   Calling decay "an annoyance" in a game that contains crafting exploring and economy, is rather short sighted, IMO.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

Wait a second, so this game is neither a MMO nor possesses a persistent world? It's basically a co-op game?

My enthusiasm just plummeted. Why is it even on this forum about MMO's?

What makes you say that?

It's only if you play offline mode that your game won't be affected by in-game events or by what other players do online. There are a number of ways to play to cater for people's preferences.

• Ironman
    • Multiplayer
    • Private Groups
    • Solo Online

• The game world is persistent unless you play on an offline character.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Personally I would call E:D a MMO.

Simply because it's a persistent universe in which massive amounts of players play.

Offline-mode and PvE/PvP switch are in my opinion design choices and don't make the game much less a MMO.

You can group up, trade, socialize, affect the universe and everything keeps running even when you logout. The game will even have features that require you to form alliances or play in smaller groups.

The only thing that would make E:D less of a MMO is the 32-player limitation in an instance but I have no issues with it. In eve if there was past 32 players in a zone it usually meant bad things ;)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Simply because it's a persistent universe in which massive amounts of players play.

Offline-mode and PvE/PvP switch are in my opinion design choices and don't make the game much less a MMO.

You can group up, trade, socialize, affect the universe and everything keeps running even when you logout. The game will even have features that require you to form alliances or play in smaller groups.

The only thing that would make E:D less of a MMO is the 32-player limitation in an instance but I have no issues with it. In eve if there was past 32 players in a zone it usually meant bad things ;)

i don't think i'd call it an MMO, but thats not a bad thing, E;D is looking to be a fun game, and i like how it does give you the option to play it 'online' so that you interact with other players in your immediate vicinity, even if it is only up to 32 players at a time, Eve online is a bit different in terms of scale, as it uses TiDi in order to deal with thousands of players in the same area, should that occur (in some systems it happens 23.5/7image) though just having a few hundred players may cause some TiDi, its not to the same extent, but i don't think E;D is really trying to be the next Eve online, i think it is just trying to be exactly what it says its trying to be, and that is Elite online, something a great many of us have been waiting for, for yearsimage

The only thing that worries me, is that with so much of the game being 'handed off' to the players systems, is that some of the more 'unscrupulous' types will then use that to hack the game, something we're sadly seeing happening so much in Archeage and also Planetside 2, where they spoil the game for everyone they come into contact with image

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

i don't think i'd call it an MMO, but thats not a bad thing, E;D is looking to be a fun game, and i like how it does give you the option to play it 'online' so that you interact with other players in your immediate vicinity, even if it is only up to 32 players at a time, Eve online is a bit different in terms of scale, as it uses TiDi in order to deal with thousands of players in the same area, should that occur (in some systems it happens 23.5/7image) though just having a few hundred players may cause some TiDi, its not to the same extent, but i don't think E;D is really trying to be the next Eve online, i think it is just trying to be exactly what it says its trying to be, and that is Elite online, something a great many of us have been waiting for, for yearsimage

The only thing that worries me, is that with so much of the game being 'handed off' to the players systems, is that some of the more 'unscrupulous' types will then use that to hack the game, something we're sadly seeing happening so much in Archeage and also Planetside 2, where they spoil the game for everyone they come into contact with image

I don't see E:D becoming so competitive that people would be resorting on too much hacking. After all it's not your typical MMO. Also with the options to switch game modes you can ignore the hackers for everything else except the changes they can create in the persistent universe. Of course there will be problems with hackers but I wouldn't expect anything major due to the nature of the game.

Teleporting gankers are much worse in games like Archeage where you really can't run nor hide.