Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Literally all I want is Original EQ with better graphics.

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by xerax

EQ1 was an awesome game. I would like to try a reskinned EQ1 for sure.

Something that made it so great that I have not seen mentioned here is the variety of starting positions / towns. I can think of atleast 10 from memory. 10 different places to start out and explore, wasn't that great? If you wanted to gnome who played with you friends in qeynos, you could but you had an epic journey ahead of you. That journey for a level 1-5 character was probably an evenings play, it was an adventure and at times your heart rate would be beating fast as you dodged between mobs or were being chaised.

i think we have got to where we are in the genre by a long road littered with compramises and choices (choices that I have sometimes whole heartedly agreed with at the time). Now at the end of it all I don't like where we are, somewhere along the line we are scarificed healthy, friendly communities and the sense of achievement.

What the solution is I just dont know, Maybe its a reskinned EQ1, Maybe its something else.

I also enjoyed the  variety of different starting areas, but I believe that had a lot to do with the fantasy lore (at the time) and how each culture was different and segregated from each other.  There were a few towns like Freeport where you would see every race, but in other places like Kelethin and Erudin you would see mostly the same race of people.  This would make sense in a vast world where it was dangerous to travel IMO.  It's also what made seeing various different races around those places interesting to see.  In MMOs today it matters little if there's a dark elf hanging around a town where the culture is to kill them on site.  There is no such thing in MMOs anymore.

• GamerdorkGamerdork Member Posts: 4
    I didnt read every posr buy i saw p99 come up quite often as the savior hate to break it but just like any current game there are a handful of nice people on that server but the majority of the people are elitist poopsocking douchebags. Ecactly like it was at max level in oriogonal eq1. Which i have seen no one mention end game and im guessing very few of you went on poh raids.
  • GamerdorkGamerdork Member Posts: 4
    Meant plane if fear
  • Alec_StormAlec_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Gamerdork
    I didnt read every posr buy i saw p99 come up quite often as the savior hate to break it but just like any current game there are a handful of nice people on that server but the majority of the people are elitist poopsocking douchebags. Ecactly like it was at max level in oriogonal eq1. Which i have seen no one mention end game and im guessing very few of you went on poh raids.

I guess that depends on the server, I played on Terris-Thule and overall it was a friendly server, the high end guilds did tend to be elitist but they weren't all snotty,  our guild raided regularly, PoF, PoH,  Chardok Royals,  Dragon Necopolis, Kael Drakkel, PoM, Vex, etc and we were doing PoP when I quit playing in '03, my Monk was epiced as was my wife's cleric & druid (her Cleric was epiced right before they nerfed the cleric epic).  IDK if the epic weapons mean anything today but back in 99-03 they required a guild effort & plane raids in some parts of the quest chain.

Good Times

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Alec_Storm
    Originally posted by Gamerdork

I guess that depends on the server, I played on Terris-Thule and overall it was a friendly server, the high end guilds did tend to be elitist but they weren't all snotty,  our guild raided regularly, PoF, PoH,  Chardok Royals,  Dragon Necopolis, Kael Drakkel, PoM, Vex, etc and we were doing PoP when I quit playing in '03, my Monk was epiced as was my wife's cleric & druid (her Cleric was epiced right before they nerfed the cleric epic).  IDK if the epic weapons mean anything today but back in 99-03 they required a guild effort & plane raids in some parts of the quest chain.

Good Times

Exactly, I think generally speaking EQ had very friendly servers and not only that a very giving community that wasnt to usurp the best guild, but rather beat them at their own game. 

OF course theres going to be some assholes, but I dont think you can compare the amount there is in EQ to a truely competitive game. EQ first and foremost was about a living interactive community.

• HaldursonHaldurson Member UncommonPosts: 31

I disagree with the entire premise of this thread.  I played EQ for years, I loved it for a while.  But I also learned to hate the game for a lot of reasons.  Graphics have nothing to do with it.  I'd take EQ's graphics, and scrub so much of the rest of it, actually.

Part of my feelings about it comes from playing a Cleric in the game.   'playing a Cleric' is actually the wrong term for it.  I was a cog in the cleric machine for a top raiding guild.  Because I know what having fun is like and what playing a game is like, and EQ turned it into something that wasn't fun.  And what I hate most about EQ is that too many games followed it's end-game pattern of grinding raids and grinding dungeons.  Thank god camping, at least is gone for good.

EQ was fun in the beginning, but I spent so much time in EQ waiting, doing nothing, meditating, preparing for this raid or that raid or waiting on the raid to form or being chastised because I was late to a raid (because I was the top cleric and raids could not take place without me, to hell with the fact that I had a job and occasionally had to work overtime).

And almost every game that followed learned from EQ's mistakes and did it better.   Many of them made all new mistakes, of course.  But I could NEVER go back to EQ.  The graphics were fine -- nothing too impressive, but its problems had little to do with graphics.

BTW, the most important thing about graphics is NOT that it makes a good game.  It's the same thing as when you meet a pretty girl.  The initial  attraction is based on looks, but the relationship is based on everything else.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I don't understand why people are complaining about raiding in EQ.  In Vanilla EQ there was no raiding (if you played the game originally).  It was something that just started happening when people got to endgame and had nothing to do.  They started ganging up on mobs that shouldn't have been killable.  Then devs started making raids/loot to keep those people busy.  I believe it took me over a year to get to max level and it wasn't until one of the expansions came out that boosted XP gain.  Most of that time I was soloing aside from occasional grouping for small camps and small dungeons.  Who really cares if you couldn't get the best loot without it?  It was a pain to do so I guess the people who can put up with it deserve to have the best loot.  Those of us who didn't raid didn't really need great loot.  There was no real PvP in EQ.  It was designed completely around group PvE.  The only things I would want changed are to lessen the grind/time sinks.  It would also be nice if there was at least a few melee classes that could solo ok.  I'm not sure how to make all classes viable soloers without compromising uniqueness.  Perhaps it's better that some classes are good soloers and others are not.  I'd like to see race/culture/starting area have more of an impact like in EQ.  I'd like to see factions and the ability to change factions (very difficult though).  EQ probably needs a bit more variety of things to do, but not the quest grind like todays MMOs. 
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Originally posted by midnitewolf

Honestly I think alot of people would like to see an upgraded version of vanilla EQ.  

However, vanilla EQ also had some issues.  The lack of ability to solo AT ALL unless you were one of a handful of classes was a bit much.  Also a Death Penalty where you could lose a day or more of progression with just a tad bad luck was over the top.  Don't get me wrong, the penalty should be harsh enough you absolutely DID NOT WANT TO DIE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE but you could accomplish that with a few hours of lost XP, not days worth of lost XP.  Also, I think there should have been skills/spells awarded at every level rather than every 4 levels especially with such an extensive grind.  Finally the grind itself needed to be toned down just a bit, probably by about half.  I mean 2-3 years of hard play to reach max level honestly was a bit much.  A year though seems just about right, especially with the AA system that offered a basically never ended progression even after you reached max level.  Also group play with downtime is a requirement, though I don't think we need 3-5 mins between pulls.

Design and offers that game and I will be a proud subscriber within 30 seconds of it being playable.

I completely agree about the Death-Penalty. I done think you should lose a level from Death, or even a days worth of play, but I think 10% of your exp or a fixed number is fair. 

This is one of those things where it sounds hypocritical for me to say I want "Exactly Vanilla EQ" with better graphics. But no game is perfect and I think its well documented enough that losing a level or a days worth of EXP for a single death is poor design. 

Still if 95% of what made Vanilla EQ is there, with better graphics, I will consider that a  glorious victory for MMO's.

The very point of the topic destroyed on the very first page. "I want original EQ but with new graphics.... only change the things I dont like about it and make it like modern mmos in all of those areas"

Your complaining that modern game devs have done exactly what you are saying should be done. So I guess when you said "Literally" in your title, you didn't actually mean, you know, literally...

I agree with your actual thread title, completely, death penalties and all.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Originally posted by Quicksand
    Originally posted by midnitewolf

Honestly I think alot of people would like to see an upgraded version of vanilla EQ.  

However, vanilla EQ also had some issues.  The lack of ability to solo AT ALL unless you were one of a handful of classes was a bit much.  Also a Death Penalty where you could lose a day or more of progression with just a tad bad luck was over the top.  Don't get me wrong, the penalty should be harsh enough you absolutely DID NOT WANT TO DIE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE but you could accomplish that with a few hours of lost XP, not days worth of lost XP.  Also, I think there should have been skills/spells awarded at every level rather than every 4 levels especially with such an extensive grind.  Finally the grind itself needed to be toned down just a bit, probably by about half.  I mean 2-3 years of hard play to reach max level honestly was a bit much.  A year though seems just about right, especially with the AA system that offered a basically never ended progression even after you reached max level.  Also group play with downtime is a requirement, though I don't think we need 3-5 mins between pulls.

Design and offers that game and I will be a proud subscriber within 30 seconds of it being playable.

I completely agree about the Death-Penalty. I done think you should lose a level from Death, or even a days worth of play, but I think 10% of your exp or a fixed number is fair. 

This is one of those things where it sounds hypocritical for me to say I want "Exactly Vanilla EQ" with better graphics. But no game is perfect and I think its well documented enough that losing a level or a days worth of EXP for a single death is poor design. 

Still if 95% of what made Vanilla EQ is there, with better graphics, I will consider that a  glorious victory for MMO's.

The very point of the topic destroyed on the very first page. "I want original EQ but with new graphics.... only change the things I dont like about it and make it like modern mmos in all of those areas"

Your complaining that modern game devs have done exactly what you are saying should be done. So I guess when you said "Literally" in your title, you didn't actually mean, you know, literally...

I agree with your actual thread title, completely, death penalties and all.

Haha your the second person to comment on this and I'll say the same thing to you that I said to them. I do want original EQ with better graphics, if I had it my way I would change the harsh death penalty. I can want both things at the same time, I can have more than one opinion on a subject. It's a completely hypothetical situation we are talking about. I liked EQ death penalty a, they had their place, but if I was personally recreating it I would drop them or tone then down. I'm not making it though so I would completely accept a remodeled original EQ in all it's glory; harsh death penalty n all. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Takoo
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Takoo
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Nihilist

Games that require 12 hours a day of monotonous grinding to get anywhere are not going to make a comeback.

I am always puzzled by people who seem to think games with tons of time wasting grind and harsh death penalties are somehow hard.

I would prefer to see MMOs go towards the Dark Souls formula where the game is difficult due to the actual game mechanics and not the time it takes to farm 1000000 mobs.

Dark Souls is not difficult. All of the difficulty in that game comes from repetition, not skill or actual difficulty. I would not use that as a metric to design any game, let alone an MMO, even though most games these days are guilty of this very crime. After playing DS quite a bit, I can safely say they were just trying to figure out ways to inconvenience the player and label it as difficult rather than have actual difficult encounters.

EQ1 pre PoP was pretty much the pinnacle of the theme park MMO imo. I still play EQ1 to this day, even though I readily admit it's a casual shadow of what was once a great and challenging game. I never once felt like the game was a "grind" until much later on after large amounts of flagging and farming were necessary to compete.

Back on topic: Yes, the original EQ with modern graphics would be a godsend to those of us who got to experience the pinnacle of theme parks in it's heyday. 

Anything that is hard requires repetition to learn.

I'm not going to dig it up but a month or so ago there was a huge topic about this here on MMORPG.com. To some people repetition is difficulty, to others it isn't. I think difficulty is pretty subjective, and I don't enjoy having to die 30 times to figure something out or endorse that as a form of "fun" when the games can be made challenging without inconveniencing their players.

They are just games after all, they should be fun, and challenging if that's what the player wants. But each player is different, and repetition is not difficulty to me, it's a design flaw.

So you like easy games k.. Just don't say you like hard games that are a "different type of hard" Because if you beat it quickly, it was not very hard.

not easily or readily done; requiring much labor, skill, or planning to be performed successfully

I abhor "easy" games. I thought that was abundantly clear. I was stating I didn't find EQ+Kunark+Velious to be repetitive and still challenging. Things have changed though.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Want a New EQ?

From what you described, no.

I would much rather take a ARPG with a non-fantasy theme.

I highly doubt any devs will put significant down-time into games anymore. And if that do .. well ... i am glad that i have other choices.

Then please by all means go find you an ARPG fansite, this is a site for MMORPGs.

I am sure you want games that also that cater to solo player. There are plenty of solo player games out there as well.

MMORPGs are already pretty much ARPGs particularly with instances and lobby-like features. Otherwise, why do you think I am here?

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Trouble is all that ended when $ony bought the game out. Just like the dark versus light servers. Remember them? I was a half elf bard with 1/8th the exp of a barbarian per kill and loved it my choice. FFFF $ony

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Want a New EQ?

I highly doubt any devs will put significant down-time into games anymore. And if that do .. well ... i am glad that i have other choices.

Then please by all means go find you an ARPG fansite, this is a site for MMORPGs.

I am sure you want games that also that cater to solo player. There are plenty of solo player games out there as well.

MMORPGs are already pretty much ARPGs particularly with instances and lobby-like features. Otherwise, why do you think I am here?

Well, you've already stated many times why you are here; forum PVP. Don't pretend like it's for anything else, as per you own admission.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I don't get it, what's wrong with EQ's graphics? I like fat ogres and square gnomes.
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Want a New EQ?

Well, you've already stated many times why you are here; forum PVP. Don't pretend like it's for anything else, as per you own admission.

As if there is only one reason ....

It is not mutually exclusive that i am here for forum pvp, and that to talk about ARPG-like lobby MMORPGs.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    If they did remake EverQuest with better graphics, I hope they don't go on the current state of the game. I just logged out of there after seeing some ridiculous animated hand mount, and someone using a pet that looked like a gingerbread man. You can certainly tell they gave up on keeping that game sensible a long time ago.
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Want a New EQ?

As if there is only one reason ....

It is not mutually exclusive that i am here for forum pvp, and that to talk about ARPG-like lobby MMORPGs.

Nari I have no problems wit your posts. Long as they are on topic. 

what I will say is this, it doesn't matter if you or anyone else believes in the viability of a revamped EQ with better graphics. There most likely will never be one with SOE having a severe lack of community involvement over the past decade. SOE has never done one thing as a fan service.

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282

The original EQ was just such a classic Roleplaying Game. When you look at how MMO's are built now adays, most just dont have that classic Roleplaying feel to them. They try to throw everything at the player too fast, and force-feed this idea that the player is a hero from the very start of the game. 

In Classic EQ, a rat could kill you at level 1, you would miss swings, your spells would fizzle, your mana would fluctuate randomly like your magic was reluctant to work properly; you were a mess in other words.

You didnt start off killing a badass monster, you started off as all real hero's do, with merely a will and no way in sight but what random path you walked down. 

You would talk to NPC's, read and listen to what they said carefully, and then you would talk back to them. It wasnt much, but if you chose to, you could roleplay your character to the NPC's, they felt alive and they always had something inspiring or intriguing to point out to you.

There wasnt a clear cut level above each enemies head, you would simply "Consider" the enemy, and the game would give you an estimate of what would happen in the fight, almost like a second consciousness in the game saying things like "Well you could try to kill it, but its defiently a gamble". It wasnt a cut and dry system, it wasnt reduced to hard numbers, it was a choice, one that you made not always knowing the complications of your actions, this was a REAL choice.

Then you would finally get proficient at what you were doing, you would start to hit the target more, you magic would grow stronger and more controlled. You'd get a pet maybe, and try to attack a small gnoll camp on your own. You would take a couple of them, and feel a sense of accomplishment when you almost had the fight in your favor, and then it would happen...

A Skeleton would come out of nowhere, just randomly wadering the zone to happen upon you in the midst of the hardest fight of your in game life, and in one strike he would take you down, proving to you that you were not that powerful, not yet, you were going to need help.

In a flash of black you would die and be without all your spells, knowledge, and gear. You would run back to your corpse, gather up all your belongings, relearn your spells, and take some time to learn from your mistakes, or maybe not, but eventually with enough time you would. 

You might get a friend to help you next time, or maybe just a stranger, maybe by luck a passerby would buff you with some helpful enchantments, you didnt know, but you knew when you saw another player they were going through or - had gone through - alot of the same experiances of loss and challenge, and that alone made it part of the experiance. Other players werent constantly competing with you, they had enough competition in the world to worry about, and you were just another player in this universe's immense struggle.

This is what EQ was about, and all I want is that same game but with better graphics. A game rich with exploration, conflict, choices, and a sense of danger and philosophy. A game that is more than a show of numbers and who has the better gear, but an authentically immersive experiance.

I agree!

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

It seems to me that the fault in current MMOs rely in the heavy focus on endgame. EQ was the exact opposite. The focus was on what you were doing at any given moment.

It feels like games now are pandering to those whose primary focus is end game content. Those players whose only goal is to eat through mid game like locusts devouring and ignoring everything along the way. I guess it boils down to money. The faster you can push a game to market, the cheaper. So sure, axe the meat of the content and work on appeasing the end game.

To me this severely takes away from the enjoyment as a whole. I enjoy the journey, not the end.

what I will say is this, it doesn't matter if you or anyone else believes in the viability of a revamped EQ with better graphics. There most likely will never be one with SOE having a severe lack of community involvement over the past decade. SOE has never done one thing as a fan service.

No .. they are also not in the business for something that is a for sure loss.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Would be fun but it will never happen

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709

***TO THE OP:  One of the best threads I've read on this forum in a long time. I agree wholeheartedly, but I thought I just had to add this:

I think I speak for many on this forum when I say that you, nariusseldon, are very much in the business of instigating drama and ceasing discussion about topics you hate. You tell people that their tastes are terrible (when it is glaringly obvious the majority of gamers as a whole would rather play something else), personally attack the poster and even hope for some MMO's to be cancelled and niche mmo's to be non-existent. To top it all off you will state how it's just your opinion and we're all entitled to one ... 

It just so happens that since yours is "correct" (this is actually painful to consider) because it follows the majority opinion, like always, you inform the other person how theirs is actually incorrect. An opinion. You're the only poster in my ten years of membership that I hope is banned. 

To the moderators, I apologize for getting personal. It just felt right to post this. 

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

The original EQ was just such a classic Roleplaying Game. When you look at how MMO's are built now adays, most just dont have that classic Roleplaying feel to them. They try to throw everything at the player too fast, and force-feed this idea that the player is a hero from the very start of the game. 

In Classic EQ, a rat could kill you at level 1, you would miss swings, your spells would fizzle, your mana would fluctuate randomly like your magic was reluctant to work properly; you were a mess in other words.

You didnt start off killing a badass monster, you started off as all real hero's do, with merely a will and no way in sight but what random path you walked down. 

You would talk to NPC's, read and listen to what they said carefully, and then you would talk back to them. It wasnt much, but if you chose to, you could roleplay your character to the NPC's, they felt alive and they always had something inspiring or intriguing to point out to you.

There wasnt a clear cut level above each enemies head, you would simply "Consider" the enemy, and the game would give you an estimate of what would happen in the fight, almost like a second consciousness in the game saying things like "Well you could try to kill it, but its defiently a gamble". It wasnt a cut and dry system, it wasnt reduced to hard numbers, it was a choice, one that you made not always knowing the complications of your actions, this was a REAL choice.

Then you would finally get proficient at what you were doing, you would start to hit the target more, you magic would grow stronger and more controlled. You'd get a pet maybe, and try to attack a small gnoll camp on your own. You would take a couple of them, and feel a sense of accomplishment when you almost had the fight in your favor, and then it would happen...

A Skeleton would come out of nowhere, just randomly wadering the zone to happen upon you in the midst of the hardest fight of your in game life, and in one strike he would take you down, proving to you that you were not that powerful, not yet, you were going to need help.

In a flash of black you would die and be without all your spells, knowledge, and gear. You would run back to your corpse, gather up all your belongings, relearn your spells, and take some time to learn from your mistakes, or maybe not, but eventually with enough time you would. 

You might get a friend to help you next time, or maybe just a stranger, maybe by luck a passerby would buff you with some helpful enchantments, you didnt know, but you knew when you saw another player they were going through or - had gone through - alot of the same experiances of loss and challenge, and that alone made it part of the experiance. Other players werent constantly competing with you, they had enough competition in the world to worry about, and you were just another player in this universe's immense struggle.

This is what EQ was about, and all I want is that same game but with better graphics. A game rich with exploration, conflict, choices, and a sense of danger and philosophy. A game that is more than a show of numbers and who has the better gear, but an authentically immersive experiance.

https://www.everquestnext.com/home

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by MajorBiggs

***TO THE OP:  One of the best threads I've read on this forum in a long time. I agree wholeheartedly, but I thought I just had to add this:

I think I speak for many on this forum when I say that you, nariusseldon, are very much in the business of instigating drama and ceasing discussion about topics you hate. You tell people that their tastes are terrible (when it is glaringly obvious the majority of gamers as a whole would rather play something else), personally attack the poster and even hope for some MMO's to be cancelled and niche mmo's to be non-existent. To top it all off you will state how it's just your opinion and we're all entitled to one ... 

It just so happens that since yours is "correct" (this is actually painful to consider) because it follows the majority opinion, like always, you inform the other person how theirs is actually incorrect. An opinion. You're the only poster in my ten years of membership that I hope is banned. 

To the moderators, I apologize for getting personal. It just felt right to post this. 

Maybe you should check your own bias.

He is doing the exact same thing many of the other posters are doing.  Stating their opinion about games, about games they think are good or bad, the genre as a whole, ones that should shut down, or the way the genre should go.

The only difference is his opinion is counter to most of the other posters.  They say it sucks, he says it's good, they say old is better, he says old sucks.

They are both saying and doing the exact same thing on opposite sides of the spectrum. 

So if you call him out, you should call the others as well.

Again, check your bias.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

Just wanted to say thanks for your post. I miss old school MMOs in general. I hope you find the MMO you are looking for.

There is no "struggle" in modern MMOs. The only struggle is between who has the bigger sword or shinier armor. The struggle in EQ helped create communities. There are no communities in modern MMOs. Just groups of people mashing buttons as fast as they can or playing totally solo.

Bring back difficulty, the unknown, death penalties, and communities!