Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Literally all I want is Original EQ with better graphics.

1131415161719»

Comments

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Vutar
    I agree OP, however it will never happen. I had hoped EQnext was going to be that, Smedley acted like they were moving back toward the original EQ, then they revealed a game that had absolutely nothing alike with the original.

I agree, both EQ2 and EQN have almost nothing to do with the original. Theres no natural evolution like with the Elder Scrolls Series (Excluding ESO obviously), where you have a core idea being explored. 

Although I do think EQN looks much better than EQ2 just for the world-building aspects which although nothing like original EQ, provide such a farther deviance that it seems more original at least.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by sludgebeard
    ...Think about all the Hollywood movies that get remade on a yearly, hell, monthly basis that are literally done as a fan service. We have 4 Punisher reboots, how many Spiderman? Even Teen Wolf got remade, Im sure the market for Teen-Wolf was less than the market for people wanting an updated EQ.

Very excellent and relevant analogy.

Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    There is one major thing you've overlooked in modern MMO's compared to the style of EQ, and that can be summed up in one word: Linearity. ...The modern MMO's are pathed out for you, you level in area B, complete all the quests that lead you into area C, then in area C there's a quest for dungeon A, and then you move on to area D, which has another dungeon area which we'll call B. For a game that's trying to mimic a world, you don't get much freedom to move around that world.Modern MMO's shouldn't really be called themeparks as there's simply not enough variety, instead they should be called rollercoasters. The problem is, the modern design seems to spend more time going slowly upwards, rather than giving the thrill of the of the long, fast spiral downwards.

OMG this ^10

On top of that, the money Blizzard threw at advertising World of Warcraft was insane...

Ah yes, as Coke and Mcdonalds will tell you, advertising > all. This wasn't Blizzard's first rodeo, and the might of their business saavy shone through. Massive, continuous, relentless advertising on Tv, Radio, Internet, and in Stores. Kudos to Blizzard (and world of tanks) and /bonks for inept SOE. SOE would have been vastly more successful if they copied WoW's advertising strategy rather than its gameplay.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Arclan

There is one major thing you've overlooked in modern MMO's compared to the style of EQ, and that can be summed up in one word: Linearity.

...The modern MMO's are pathed out for you, you level in area B, complete all the quests that lead you into area C, then in area C there's a quest for dungeon A, and then you move on to area D, which has another dungeon area which we'll call B. For a game that's trying to mimic a world, you don't get much freedom to move around that world.

Modern MMO's shouldn't really be called themeparks as there's simply not enough variety, instead they should be called rollercoasters. The problem is, the modern design seems to spend more time going slowly upwards, rather than giving the thrill of the of the long, fast spiral downwards.

OMG this ^10

Yeah I completely agree with this statement, the definition of themeparks just doesn't hold relevance because content is constantly locked out based on level or previous completion. If these games were truely themeparks you would be able to move freely between all content.

I also agree roller coaster is as much more appropriate tag, because you are put on rails and carried through the content. Defiently an A+ observation on my opinion.

• wazmowazmo Member UncommonPosts: 4

I long for these days again also. Then I fire up Project1999, get killed in the middle of No Where and have an hours run to CR. Then remember all the times we had to wait on another guild to come bail us out because we wiped in Fear or Hate. 5 hours later I get my stuff back, look at the clock and have to be at work in an hour...again..lol Yea, that part I don't miss, honestly. Nor do I have the time commitment that the game took, I'm not 28 anymore heh.  Glad I got nostalgic and found the Emu scene and get my fix now and again.

One thing that EQ had, and I have Never experienced it's likes again, was the Community. People cared about each other, people would drop what they were doing to help you out, usually without much trouble. There were little to no issues in the beginning, and there was much rejoicing. Then the camp spawning, and kill stealing really started around Kunark and it was all down hill. Once SOE got their hands on the game, forget it, it was ruined. Cat people living on the moon...ok, yea I was done at that point. 

It's a shame, it was Dungeons and Dragons brought to life for Many of us PNP relics. And I lost more sleep and almost a marriage to that damn game. But one of the greatest days of my gaming life was receiving that Beta CD in the Mail and the 20 hour patch download that followed!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

"You don't realize what games really are, and that is why you are sad. They are not playground. They are movies (at least most of them)."

We get it, your playing into the Sandbox Vs. Themepark argument, your saying games are made to be based on solid mechanics rather than emergent ones.

Unfortunately there are Sandbox games outside the MMO genre, some of the biggest games in the world are Sandbox.

Minecraft - one of the highest selling games of all time is a "Playground" or a "Sandbox" and has no cinematic value unless you count the credits.

yeah .. ONE. Which part of the word "most" you do not understand?

For every minecraft, there are hundreds of Tomb Raider, Dishonored, Diablo, Call of Duty, ..... I think you get the idea.