Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My First MMORPG experience was in '99 with Everquest...

SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82

and I remember the thrill and excitement of not knowing what the hell I was doing :)    I remember creating my first character as a Dark Elf in Neriak and wandering around not really knowing who to talk to (there were no flashing icons over anyone's head) and then when I did speak to an NPC, I found myself killed because I accidentally hit the wrong key and had attacked (because I was free to do so).  When I finally did venture outside, I didn't have a map to guide me.  I also quickly learned that certain NPCs hated Dark Elves as one greeted me with a death blow, which then required me run back to get my corpse and items (while making sure to keep a safe distance from the NPC's threatening glare).  I remember spending Sunday afternoons with dozens of other players outside the EC Tunnel and meeting at the Shady Swashbuckler to exchange wares...

Anyway, the point of this nostalgia is that it has been a very long time since I've played a game where I didn't know exactly what to do or what to expect.   I finally decided to try Age of Wushu and so glad I did!

Now I know I'm late to the party, but AoW really didn't come on my radar until the recent approval on Steam and release of the new server.  I also suspect the game had issues (both stability and localization) last year. Plus I recognize that the cash shop is pretty excessive in this world of "F2P" we now live in.

But my experience with Age of Wushu (and I'm probably still just new and naive as I've only been playing a few weeks), is that this is a really beautiful, detailed,  fun game that (for me) has run extremely well at high settings (50 avg fps).  The Martial Arts setting is also refreshing after all these years of Fantasy. Plus, the animations are just really cool.

I still don't know what the hell I'm doing, but loving the experience!

Now I did make sure to get some free packs (like the Guardian pack offered here on mmorpg) and also downloaded from Amazon to get their free pack to help me start off (hundreds of free buns so I don't starve!)    And after a week of trying the game out, I also spent $9 for 30 gold to become VIP.  (Note:  It was $9 on Amazon for the gold, which directly transferred to my AoW server, but then the purchase also qualified for free $5 credit to Amazon app store and $1 Mp3!)  I'm sure all of this has let me focus on learning the game while avoiding some of the initial frustrations.

I have encountered many helpful players, have joined my first guild and even was surprised by a responsive GM answer on an issue (a GM contacted me in game within 1-2 hours of my initiating the help request)!

Of course, we'll see how I feel after a month, but, if you've had any thought of trying this game I would certainly encourage you to do so.  Just make sure get some free keys to help you start.  I also found the Bart Boucher AoW videos on youtube very helpful.

Cheers!

SquireX

Comments

• ProkaryotikProkaryotik Member Posts: 38

Thanks for the testimonial. It is quite encouraging for me as I have been looking for that same feeling as well. Just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and come out with a bad experience! I tried it a ways back and at that point in time wasn't quite ready to learn new systems and a new UI and all that so I put it on the shelf.

One question: how is the market? I remember when I played that you had to pay to have a stall in a city in order to hock (sp?) your wares and there were only a certain number of slots in each city. The market is always something important to me in an mmo as it gives me an interactive way to buy and sell and manufacture goods, use your trade skills in a productive way, as well as lend to the interaction of an open world.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Wushu saved 2013 for me :) A real gem.

Poster above, the world shops and personal stalls are a part of Wushu they wont be going anywhere. It's a Wuxia thing. People had to earn a living, and the city markets is where they did it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Good to hear post like this. Going to give the game another go because it was more of a real mmo.

• Shador_IrinnisShador_Irinnis Member UncommonPosts: 46

I'm trying this now, I too am an Old School mmoer ( The Realm and Asheron's Call was my first real MMOs ).

I noticed you mention keys found here on MMORPG that gave free items in-game.

I'm trying to find them, but no luck. Can you supply a link so I can take advange of this as well?

Thanks!

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82

Greets.

My original post was actually from May of 2014, so it looks like the original bonus keys I mentioned are no longer available here on mmorpg.

It  looks like AoW was offering another bonus key ("Contender Pack") from other links back in Feb but appears to also be expired

http://www.ageofwushu.com/news/view/295

I also don't see a good deal on Amazon anymore either :(

You may be able to find something on their fb page or elsewhere searching the web.

The game is definitely worth taking for a spin.  I really enjoyed it for my first 2-3 months, but then it did get stale for me as I found myself just repeating the same activities.    I've since moved on to a few other games.

Good luck and have fun!

PS.  I tried to respond to your mail, but the site kept freaking out!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was actually bugged everyday to try it out by a female gamer i hung out with in my UT99 days but i always scoffed it,didn't look good enough to me.I think it was around 2002 when i finally tried it,my opinion did not change much.Fast forward to FFXI and i got a way better version in every respect,same great no hand holding game,everything needs to be discovered,challenging combat,but way more depth.

Even still i recognize EQ1 as a great game for it's release era,i likely would have enjoyed it more if i started with it on release day,but i was way too busy enjoying Quake and Doom and unreal  and Half Life at the time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.