Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar's PvP = Brainless Aimless PvP. Proof inside.

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by sinni800

While I didn't catch the magic of DaoC PvP that video of it had some serious lagging on some of those guys, jumping around like hell... 

That Wildstar PvP really seems like a mess of people on top of each other spamming skills... I thought with the telegraphs people would be very tactical about it :P

Zerg vs Zerg always looks like a "mess" no matter which game it is.

Personally I think Wildstar shines in small scale especially in the arenas.

How warplots turn out, only time will tell. The devs have been saying that the best tactics revolve around creating smaller task forces to take out the objectives instead of running in a 40 man zerg.

Wildstar does offer ranked battlegrounds, ranked arenas and ranked warplots which all give equivalent gear. You can really choose the one you enjoy the most.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

Even the smaller PvP has the problem that there is much much shit on the screen most of the time you don't know what is going on and where your people are. There is way too much visual clutter for that fast pace...

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Looks like a spam fest at best. So much crap on the screen all the time, how can you enjoy watching that.

I checked the arenas, and they looked much the same. The WoW arenas are far superior in terms of play/tactics, and I havent't played WoW in years.

This game is basically a reskinned WoW, it amazes me the number of people you get defending average games. The same people who were fanatical over ESO are now here saying the same stuff. The exact same people who blared about how great swtor was and they had the same bgs there, all fun for a while, then pointless.

Btw, DAOC's RvR was superior in every way, it took more skill and tactics than anything i've seen since in an MMO.

To the guy who said ' Why can't we just pvp fpr fun!!!'...I always see someone post that inane statement, it doesn't work!..After the very start of WoW how many fights did you find in the openworld once the dust had settled?. Oh that's right, none. I levelled a toon from 0-80 my second time back and had exactly 1 encounter the entire time. If there's no reward/purpose for fighting no one bothers.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Lol wow arenas are just about getting a healer to carry you while you play ring around the pillars.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Its not about how you enjoy something like this...its about how can you notice who is who and what is he doing, when is he doing...so you know what to do?

If this aint brainless aimless pvp...i dont know what else can be. 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I just dont see the fun to be had in WS pvp.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by sgel

DAOC PvP was awesome but there's nothing like that anymore in modern games (Please don't mention Cyrodiil).

Maybe in Darkfall? I dunno.

I like Wildstar though... even though the PvP is not like DAOC it's still a fun game.

The only thing that makes DAoC PvP so good, is the sweet memmories we have about the good things, and the fact that humans tend to forget about the not so good when they had a generally positive experience.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    I didnt have a problem figureing out what was going on in the pvp. I could pick out classes based on telegraphs and why so much rage on the 40v40. Alterac Valley has been doing it for years. And all of a sudden 80 people is to much? GW2 RVR ring a bell? 
  • SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah
    Originally posted by Hefaistos

Who is who and what is he doing ??? This is the definition of the pvp in 2014 ?

This is my idea of pvp.

5 guys fighting another 5 guys, then other 5 guys are joining...then other guys are joining...and it doesnt matter that 5 are attacking 1 as you can see in the movie...thats not enough. 

Fail, Fail is everywhere...

The only Fail that I see to Wildstar PvP is an overabundance of AoE's.  When everyone just walks around spamming AoE's, it just doesnt feel very tactical to me.  In my opinion, AoE's should have its place and it should have more of a tactical quality to it.  Its the same problem I had with AD&D back in the day.  In modern MMO's there are only benefits to having tons of AoE's just like most mages had nothing but fireball, lightning bolt, and evards black tentacles.

An AoE should only exceed the damage output of a single target ability when it affects a large number of targets or the AoE should have some drawback attached to it. Otherwise you end up with a game where people run in circles spamming AoE's. Of course this is simply my opinion, wtf do I know.

No.  Your thinking is too linear on this.  You're right in that AoEs in the current state of MMOs are silly, but it's not because they do as much damage as single targets.

They're silly because they don't hurt your teammates.  It worked in AD&D because a sorcerer had to pay attention where they were flinging their fireball, or they might end up frying their companions along with the intended kobold mob.  There'd be a LOT more tactical strategy if AoEs (and even bolt, single target spells) took friendly fire into account.  Since they don't, there is just a mindless spam, even if your melee allies are engaged in combat with the intended targets for a black hole spell or a called artillery strike.

Until they fix this ridiculousness, we will continue to see cheesy, unrealistic bullshit in MMOs like the GW2 "stack" or people building catapults *beneath* a castle wall, since the resulting explosions do no damage to the catapult or its operators. 

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Hefaistos

Torcan vs Wrath vs Dizzy - DAoC Mordred 2004 - YouTube
    Wrath - DAoC Mordred 2004ish - YouTube
    Torc PUG - DAoC Mordred 2005ish - YouTube
    Validus vs Torcan vs Random PUG - DAoC Mordred 2004 - YouTube
    Blood and Wine - Daoc Percival - 2004ish - YouTube

This movies shows pretty well that 10y ago pvp tactics were different. CC, assist, kill order, etc. 

Eso has some decent pvp but the problem here is you need to be VR10 and with some gear in order to succed in pvp. I mean, you can join a lvl 10 the zerg...but this doesnt mean its the best pvp ever.

GW2 was fun until the EB was so full the zerg was following you anywhere.

Probably Darkfall is now the only game with pvp tactics that are above this games.

Pretty sure you are the vocal minority and no one cares anymore.  People just want to sit down and smash buttons.  As it has been stated games need to make money and making mechanics that frustrate the majority of the players is not good business. End of Story.  Until someone makes an awesome game and doesn't care about making a profit the glory days of the past will never be seen again.

• catch2twocatch2two Member Posts: 19

The devs are really vocal about their plans and from what they've been saying on their Live Streams and Blogs, they are in it and excited for their game. I am very skeptic about new MMOs. I play everyone of them to max level before actually judging, but I must admit that this game has the most potential than anything that's been released in the past 5 years. The PvP, although I've only gotten to play one Battlefield, seemed to be much like WoW which is a good thing in my opinion and seemed satisfying as a Medic with both dps and healing abilities equipped.

I'm very excited to see how Warplots turn out, because the videos they show look Amazing. Also their Arena's look great and once again, very much like WoW (In a good way)

Even though I bring up WoW in comparison, I believe this is a good thing since I havent play WoW since Wrath came out, but I assure you, I've spent thousands of hours in that game from Vanilla to Wrath and I've been waiting for a game to capture the same feeling I got when playing WoW for the first year, Wildstar may be it.

Hardcore.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Reskinned WoW... all I can say is "wow."  *Eye Roll*.  Played WoW for years, loved it.  Now playing WildStar, love it as well.  Definitely not reskinned WoW.  At all.
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    Reskinned WoW... all I can say is "wow."  *Eye Roll*.  Played WoW for years, loved it.  Now playing WildStar, love it as well.  Definitely not reskinned WoW.  At all.

I agree.  I played WoW in its day and loved it.  I will also be playing Wildstar in a couple of weeks as well.  I wish I knew when fun stopped being an attribute of games.  I don't play games for mechanics, I play games for fun.  When I stop having fun I stop playing the game.  Sure mechanics can be part of the fun calculation, but fun is the #1 attribute for me when playing anything.  It really is this simple, and to answer your question, no I don't need something to be meaningful to have fun.  In fact most of the time I want brainless because I put in 12 hours a day at work doing non brainless things.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Silentstorm
    This is no different then WvW in gw2 lol....Matter of fact you can put a gw2 vid in the place of this. And you wouldn't even notice the difference lol.

I agree.  Just not this one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVU5MTF1EM

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Not reskinned WoW...  certainly not

Upgraded WoW... or evolution to WoW, could be as they use the same basic ideas Blizard used to make WoW a succes... but the implementation of these ideas is totally different.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Not reskinned WoW...  certainly not

Upgraded WoW... or evolution to WoW, could be as they use the same basic ideas Blizard used to make WoW a succes... but the implementation of these ideas is totally different.

I think that's a completely fair statement.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

DAOC PvP was awesome but there's nothing like that anymore in modern games (Please don't mention Cyrodiil).

No other Mmo has come close to RvR in Pre-ToA Dark Age of Camelot, sadly, and yah Cyrodiil is no comparison to it, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen

No other Mmo has come close to RvR in Pre-ToA Dark Age of Camelot, sadly, and yah Cyrodiil is no comparison to it, lol.

Lets hope Camelot Unchained will do it. Alpha is starting in August. 

• Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58

WS PvP is a 2-button spam-fest, while running around in circles smashing the Tab button to locate the next target.

Nothing new or innovative here.

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Actually the arenas are pretty skill intensive you will see the better players win very regularly, the video showing the Warplot was just a test where they asked anyone who was L50 to help test, which is obviously going to be different somewhat to a group really trying to be strategic- but then its more a zerg PVP featrue- if you want a small group stratgey look to small group pvp features?
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I enjoyed the PVP in Wildstar. I liked the frantic pace, but I'm sure as muscle memory starts to take hold the PVP will become more structured and less random.

I see Wildstar being a 6 month MMO for me, which would be longer than any MMO since WoW. The PVP being a large part of that. I always thought I would like massive open world type of PVP, but since experiencing that very same thing in WAR, GW2, and ESO I am beginning to think that I actually like smaller scale 10v10 type of PVP where individual actions and skill matter a whole lot more than just having numbers. Those numbers end up screwing it up when one side starts losing and people reroll to the winning sides.

Less than two weeks! I can't wait!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

lol

"Wildstar PvP = Brainless Aimless PvP. Proof inside."

and then you link a closed beta vid where they were most likely testing warplots for the first time?

dude... seriously.... 

and if you seriously claim you dont need to aim your moves in wildstar, but in DAoC instead... then i have a bad news for ya, daoc is using a targeted spell system, no aiming actually required - where wildstar actually uses AIMED shots on 99% of the skills.

seriously, nice trolling tho.

not that you had like any valid argument. but you surely sold it well.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Insurgent99

WS PvP is a 2-button spam-fest, while running around in circles smashing the Tab button to locate the next target.

How does smashing Tab help locate next target?  I thought there was no Tab targeting or am I wrong?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by rodingo

How does smashing Tab help locate next target?  I thought there was no Tab targeting or am I wrong?

Pressing Tab actually does highlight your target. You still have to manually aim your spell in order to hit it.

With all due respect, you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.  I'm sure I just got baited by pure troll, but hey, had to respond.