Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End-game Open Beta?

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I'm curious what other people think about an end game focused open beta.  As far as I'm concerned, open beta, especially one this close to the games actual launch is for removing the last line of game breaking bugs and convincing players to pre-order.  

For me, the leveling experience they've provided us with from 1-30 is not worth a sub fee, and possibly not the box cost.  Keep in mind I don't really find questing or grinding in general an exciting thing to do on any game because I've done it for so long, I think GW2 did a good job with making leveling fun but still has no real endgame. Just giving an example of the most recent time I actually enjoyed leveling in a MMO.    

If the open beta for wildstar instead allowed everyone to create a level 50 to test out end game content raids and pvp systems with your friends I think the chances of a consumer like me pre-ordering would be higher. Or perhaps lower the chances if the content doesn't deliver. The only thing that could persuade someone like me to buy wildstar is the raids, warplots, and end game character progression. This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.

Testing end game during open beta too much? Or a smart move to try and win over players like myself.  

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    There are plenty of people testing level 50. People who had high level characters BEFORE they put the cap in place were still able to reach level 50. I assure you there are tons who are testing that aspect as we speak.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    There are plenty of people testing level 50. People who had high level characters BEFORE they put the cap in place were still able to reach level 50. I assure you there are tons who are testing that aspect as we speak.

Right, I have read their recent interviews on here so I know there are people doing it.  That wasn't the topic of this thread however.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.

If a gamer is getting turned off from leveling then i dont think MMOs were the right genre to begin with. If a gamer is looking for instant gradification in MMOs then again, its not for them. 

This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.

If a gamer is getting turned off from leveling then i dont think MMOs were the right genre to begin with. If a gamer is looking for instant gradification in MMOs then again, its not for them. 

Well this too was not the main topic I was getting at, more of a supporting opinion to what I said prior to that.  But the fact is It isn't exactly good for business if your game fails to interest someone in the early stages, regardless of the games genre.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77

Before I played the game in open beta I was going to pre order after playing it I have changed my mind. Not because it is not fun but the FPS issue is just to much to ignore.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

the fact is It isn't exactly good for business if your game fails to interest someone in the early stages, regardless of the games genre.  

Your game always fails to interest someone, unless you are suggesting that it's easy to interest everyone.

You are falling into the same old cliche that if you yourself dont find it interesting, then there is something wrong with the game, and not just simply your personal taste.

Originally posted by dakotaaoc08

Before I played the game in open beta I was going to pre order after playing it I have changed my mind. Not because it is not fun but the FPS issue is just to much to ignore.

The FPS issue is without a doubt a massive displeasure to myself as welll, however I would be willing to look over if I was interested in playing the games content.  Unfortunately I won't know unless I pre-order, which is the problem.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Daessar

the fact is It isn't exactly good for business if your game fails to interest someone in the early stages, regardless of the games genre.  

Your game always fails to interest someone, unless you are suggesting that it's easy to interest everyone.

You are falling into the same old cliche that if you yourself dont find it interesting, then there is something wrong with the game, and not just simply your personal taste.

Did you even read my entire thread?!?!?!  The whole point of this post was about my personal taste and whether or not having a level 50 focused open beta would be a good option to make players such as I enjoy the game more and possibly pre-order.  I would totally prefer if you guys stuck to discussing the actual point I trying to convey with this thread, since it appears not a single person has actually seen it.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88

Right, I have read their recent interviews on here so I know there are people doing it.  That wasn't the topic of this thread however.

The topic is that YOU want to try them for free XD...

In the words of the great Stephan Frost..

NO.

Originally posted by Saio3

The topic is that YOU want to try them for free XD...

In the words of the great Stephan Frost..

NO.

Precisely. I think no is a bad way of going about it however. Unless the consumer is a new player to MMOs or truly enjoys smashing their face on a desk while collecting X and killing Y, then wildstars end game is the only thing that could persuade someone like myself to play, but you believe testing it out to see if I'd pre-order is asking too much.  Atleast you were the first one to give a response on the actual topic :D

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207

If the open beta for wildstar instead allowed everyone to create a level 50 to test out end game content raids and pvp systems with your friends I think the chances of a consumer like me pre-ordering would be higher. 

There is a specific reason, or reasons as to why companies does not let you "test" all the content for free or in a BETA ( closed or open ) and I am not going to tell them to a guy who believe that is his right to test all the content ( or close to ) before he decide to buy the game. 

See Blizzard's Diablo 3. Beta was .. I can't really remember, lvl 17 or lvl 20? and up to Skeleton King. 

So no, test/try the game till whatever the cap is in beta! If you don't find it enjoyable while playing and even after watching streams/videos/etc with the end content, then pass on it. 

The Ice is dark and full of terror.
  • Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Daessar

Did you even read my entire thread?!?!?!  The whole point of this post was about my personal taste and whether or not having a level 50 focused open beta would be a good option to make players such as I enjoy the game more and possibly pre-order.  I would totally prefer if you guys stuck to discussing the actual point I trying to convey with this thread, since it appears not a single person has actually seen it.

[mod edit]

I agree that letting open beta testers test 50 content or a sample this close to launch would do wonders for sales especially for this game since i found the leveling to be the least engaging/compelling ive played in a mmo in along time.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Look you already stated you didn't like the leveling experience from 1-30.  You also stated you liked GW2 leveling.  Now I hated every aspect about GW2 and I am enjoying the leveling in Wildstar.  So what does this tell you?  We can't make up your mind.  You already stated you read interviews of people that made it to 50.  Look if you already don't feel it is worth it then don't buy it and come back later to tell us how much the game sucks when you already told us you think it sucks now.  Different people like different things coming here hoping we will make some statement that will cause you to fall in love with Wildstar is highly unlikely.  Stop being a sheep and start being a human and make up your own mind and not purchase the game.

• Vee4240Vee4240 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08

You mean you're not going to order right away because of the FPS issue. Because you do know that they are optimizing at every level of the game night and day......right?!

I often wonder why I was comfortably able to play with 20-50 FPS right before my gfx card upgrade and never thought twice about the performance being a real big issue. Not to throw salt on your reason for not playing/preordering. I guess I just realized that optimization is kinda inevitable for games in general, and that betas are about helping developers make the game better rather than expecting a completely finished product. 

Beats me. 

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

after reading your post I have to assume you have played wildstar. (no where in your post do you say that you have played)

Regarding your idea!! Have you contacted Wildstar  about your idea or better still ask them if you can have lvl50 char to test OB with?? Your fast running out of time , Release is coming up fast.

p.s. if you have played in any of the closed beta events then there is a fix( for some ppl) for the FPS issue. Cant find the link but simply delete contents of C:usersyournameappdata
    oamingNCSOFTwildstar (you need to have "show hidden files" to do this

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by supremewow

If the open beta for wildstar instead allowed everyone to create a level 50 to test out end game content raids and pvp systems with your friends I think the chances of a consumer like me pre-ordering would be higher. 

There is a specific reason, or reasons as to why companies does not let you "test" all the content for free or in a BETA ( closed or open ) and I am not going to tell them to a guy who believe that is his right to test all the content ( or close to ) before he decide to buy the game. 

See Blizzard's Diablo 3. Beta was .. I can't really remember, lvl 17 or lvl 20? and up to Skeleton King. 

So no, test/try the game till whatever the cap is in beta! If you don't find it enjoyable while playing and even after watching streams/videos/etc with the end content, then pass on it. 

He never said it was his right to be able to do anything, he merely stated what he thought would increase sales and convince those on the fence about buying the game and if there is a specific reason as you say why did WS have a 24/7 beta allowing testing of all content going on for over a year, the cap was only introduced a month ago.

Not sure where diablo 3 comes into play in all of this, nor do I really have a clue what you're trying to get at.  Testing the game till beta cap is what I did, and watching streams with end game content will not persuade me to buy it any more or less.  I Don't see sampling end game content (my only possible buying point on wildstar) as a large deal, especially with how much they're boasting currently about releasing content updates post launch.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Juice2000

I agree that letting open beta testers test 50 content or a sample this close to launch would do wonders for sales especially for this game since i found the leveling to be the least engaging/compelling ive played in a mmo in along time.

...You get your first dungeon at level 17 ( which is by far, better then cap level dungeons in other games ) , you get adventures at level 16? or 15? You get PVP at level 6. 

Really ... if you are really interested in the game or you want to give it a fair chance, just play the above content. End the content, at least some of it, you can watch it on different streams/videos out there. So if you tried the first dungeon/adventure/pvp zones and you liked it, you have a pretty solid idea as to what to expect from the Elder Content. 

Not sure where diablo 3 comes into play in all of this, nor do I really have a clue what you're trying to get at.  Testing the game till beta cap is what I did, and watching streams with end game content will not persuade me to buy it any more or less.  I Don't see sampling end game content (my only possible buying point on wildstar) as a large deal, especially with how much they're boasting currently about releasing content updates post launch.  

Then don't buy the game.  It really is that simple and you can move on with your life.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Once endgame stops being the primary focus of games is when we will have games worth playing again. 

[mod edit]

Diablo 3 was just an exemple.

If testing the game till beta cap and after watching the streams/videos, couldn't made you to pre-order, then why are you even opening a non-sens thread? Because, for my point of view, it is non-sens to ask for a End-Game Open Beta.

Try other classes/faction , try crafting , play more pvp , do the dungeons/adventures several more times. If not .. thank you for playing and good luck finding the game you like.

[mod edit]

Diablo 3 was just an exemple.

If testing the game till beta cap and after watching the streams/videos, couldn't made you to pre-order, then why are you even opening a non-sens thread? Because, for my point of view, it is non-sens to ask for a End-Game Open Beta.

Try other classes/faction , try crafting , play more pvp , do the dungeons/adventures several more times. If not .. thank you for playing and good luck finding the game you like.

That's all you had to say mate.  Now explain why to make it constructive :)

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I have said enough about what I think about the game,not even going to play it when it goes free.

dark souls 2 is all I play at the moment.

I don't think it gets better from level 30-50 but I don't know nor do I care.

Here lets dissect this, since all of my other replies didn't meet your fancy.

I'm curious what other people think about an end game focused open beta.  As far as I'm concerned, open beta, especially one this close to the games actual launch is for removing the last line of game breaking bugs and convincing players to pre-order.  Since the beginning of the game starts at level one and only a very small population are content locust, against popular belief, I think Carbine's level focus for the open beta catches a lot more possible bugs than en endgame only open beta.

For me, the leveling experience they've provided us with from 1-30 is not worth a sub fee, and possibly not the box cost.  Since it is highly unlikely they are going to change the game where you will LOVE this 1-50 leveling experience, I think you made up your mind not to purchase the game.  Keep in mind I don't really find questing or grinding in general an exciting thing to do on any game because I've done it for so long, I think GW2 did a good job with making leveling fun but still has no real endgame. Just giving an example of the most recent time I actually enjoyed leveling in a MMO.  You stated you hate leveling.  Guess what leveling is staying in the game.  As I previously stated, my personal experience is exactly opposite.  I hate GW2 and love leveling in Wildstar.  It is a personal preference and you seem to have made up your mind Wildstar is not for you.   

If the open beta for wildstar instead allowed everyone to create a level 50 to test out end game content raids and pvp systems with your friends I think the chances of a consumer like me pre-ordering would be higher. I personally disagree since most casual people could care less about this contact.  Let's all face they are the people who pay the bill regardless if we like it.  Or perhaps lower the chances if the content doesn't deliver.  The general public has already used their standard go to on any game produced with a sub.  F2P in 6 months.  Them allowing would make little to no impact either way in my opinion.  The only thing that could persuade someone like me to buy wildstar is the raids, warplots, and end game character progression.  Do you know how many people are just going to sit at their rocket house and sockets for months, not raids, not warplots?  I agree I don't understand this but there will be an ass ton of people who sit at their house doing decorations and crapp for months.   This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.  Just because you get bored easy doesn't mean other people will get bored easy.  You should see the amount of grinding people are doing in Archeage English Alpha for nothing.

Testing end game during open beta too much? Or a smart move to try and win over players like myself.

I am sure nothing I typed here answered anything because they are just my opinions and none of my other opinions meant anything to you either.   

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    They will not allow that because then people would publish all the cool ideas and surprises of the end game encounters. It takes away some of the surprise and also makes the game not have anything for people to look forward to. Further if a person is unable to enjoy the game showing them end game content will be like throwing pearls before a swine. There is little benefit and the probability of attracting that gamer is too low to risk exposing too much of the end game .