Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still no official sales numbers?

12346»

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by sahib
    Originally posted by Mothanos For me ESO was a bigger letdown then SWTOR.......
    I actually went back to SWTOR a couple of days ago to check it out again, after leaving in the game's second month. They sure corrected some issues that were bothering me long ago :)

As for ESO, I kind of lost interest in it... It was ok, I was playing on a daily basis, and then one day I just didn't feel the need to login again. Still don't as a matter of fact.

Up to level 50 i had fun, sucked i coulnt level in pvp anymore.
    At Veteran rank 5 i lost the will to login and never looked back.
    This game is beyond average in everything it does.

The only epic moments i had was the final fight in your personal story and with m guild in PVP.
    Looking forward to Archeage !!!!

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
  • AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Zhiroc

oh and how come no response to my comment in our conversation that showed ESO trending up  on Xfire over the course of  30 days. More players and more time played today than one month ago. Whens the last time you seen that?

Actually, if the first two weeks of April had not yet scrolled off the chart, what you would have seen is an initial peak somewhere around the peak you now see, and then a rapid decline, then a slow decline (you can see how the oscillations up until about May 1 seemed to be trending ever so slowly downward).

But then in the first week of May it suddenly peaked again, dropped but held steady for a week, peaked, then dropped lower than before. Not sure what to make of that.... was there some global region that only started selling TESO in May?

If you are going to try and use XFire you have to track the number of players not the number of hours - which is what the graph shows. Average hours played can be useful as well.

Anyway combine high initial sales with the fact that hours played for any new and shiny game is always higher at launch and what you get is an initial high peak followed by a decline several days after launch. Remember though that there will (usually) be new purchasers after the initial launch - which is why average hours played is useful going forward.

And as to why it would go up in May there was indeed a global event: May Day (on a Monday most places). So 2nd-5th was a holiday weekend - people off school / college / work. Not in the US though. Same with the Easter weekend - Friday to Monday is a holiday most places. Again not in the US (which has MLK, Memorial, Thanksgiving etc.).  

The Xfire numbers are / have been low however - and a low sample size will increase an already large margin of error (for whatever conclusion you might wish to draw).

So ESO trending up on Xfire over the course of 30 days is due to May Day? You guys are too much lmao.

Here's the graph again. It's unheard of to see an MMORPG do this.

http://www.xfire.com/games/eso

You failed to mention ESO has 1/3 of players GW2 has after almost 2 years.

And it would be really cool to compare SWTOR/GW2/ESO launch numbers from XFire. It would be really cool shower for people that want to use it as a proof of how succesful ESO is.

So, XFIRE is your favourite instrument to measure or estimate total players? Interesting approach. ^^

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Asariasha

oh and how come no response to my comment in our conversation that showed ESO trending up  on Xfire over the course of  30 days. More players and more time played today than one month ago. Whens the last time you seen that?

Actually, if the first two weeks of April had not yet scrolled off the chart, what you would have seen is an initial peak somewhere around the peak you now see, and then a rapid decline, then a slow decline (you can see how the oscillations up until about May 1 seemed to be trending ever so slowly downward).

But then in the first week of May it suddenly peaked again, dropped but held steady for a week, peaked, then dropped lower than before. Not sure what to make of that.... was there some global region that only started selling TESO in May?

If you are going to try and use XFire you have to track the number of players not the number of hours - which is what the graph shows. Average hours played can be useful as well.

Anyway combine high initial sales with the fact that hours played for any new and shiny game is always higher at launch and what you get is an initial high peak followed by a decline several days after launch. Remember though that there will (usually) be new purchasers after the initial launch - which is why average hours played is useful going forward.

And as to why it would go up in May there was indeed a global event: May Day (on a Monday most places). So 2nd-5th was a holiday weekend - people off school / college / work. Not in the US though. Same with the Easter weekend - Friday to Monday is a holiday most places. Again not in the US (which has MLK, Memorial, Thanksgiving etc.).  

The Xfire numbers are / have been low however - and a low sample size will increase an already large margin of error (for whatever conclusion you might wish to draw).

So ESO trending up on Xfire over the course of 30 days is due to May Day? You guys are too much lmao.

And it would be really cool to compare SWTOR/GW2/ESO launch numbers from XFire. It would be really cool shower for people that want to use it as a proof of how succesful ESO is.

So, XFIRE is your favourite instrument to measure or estimate total players? Interesting approach. ^^

Xfire was brought into the discussion in this thread by an ESO fan.  I assume your quote is going back and referring to that post?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Still trying to garner numbers for future troll threads I see...

LOL,

What determines a troll thread? The actual numbers.

When the numbers are released and if ESO did Awesome, when someone posts "ESO sold "X" boxes at release and has "X" subscribers." It's not a troll thread. But if ESO did shitty, and someone posts  "ESO sold "X" boxes at release and has "X" subscribers."  It's a troll thread.

Love this site.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Cash ins on popular franchises like Elder Scrolls or Star Trek or Star Wars usually sell well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Rayzer235

NPD Sales result for April ESO isn't even on the Top 10

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-15-titanfall-ps4-drive-us-game-sales-up-17-percent-in-april-npd

Nice find, it kind of backs my link to the 350,000 physical copies sold from VGchartz.com. The game could have been great but there are too many issues with it. I'm watching and waiting for fixes because I really do want the game to succeed. However, my class (Nightblade) won't receive major fixes until patch 1.2. So until I see any stability in the game for class balance, mechanics, features, and/or systems they will not have my money.

I know right, this is where that stupid VR grind comes back to bite them.  I'm stuck with a VR 10 nightblade and would like to make an alt but the thought of grind through all that content again... no... just no...

What I want to know is how could they possibly have had a year long closed beta and still done so poorly at class balance.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Rayzer235

NPD Sales result for April ESO isn't even on the Top 10

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-15-titanfall-ps4-drive-us-game-sales-up-17-percent-in-april-npd

Nice find, it kind of backs my link to the 350,000 physical copies sold from VGchartz.com. The game could have been great but there are too many issues with it. I'm watching and waiting for fixes because I really do want the game to succeed. However, my class (Nightblade) won't receive major fixes until patch 1.2. So until I see any stability in the game for class balance, mechanics, features, and/or systems they will not have my money.

I have been / am still watching this game. I love Elder Scrolls. Skyrim has to be one of the greatest SPRPGs I've ever played. And should this game actually become worthy of an Elder Scrolls title, I'll be in it in it the day the miracle patch goes live.

And No! I'm not looking for Skyrim Online.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Soooo, you didnt really read what you quoted, but NM, shallowness is the new black.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Soooo, you didnt really read what you quoted, but NM, shallowness is the new black.

What the heck does that even mean?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

There's really only one thing that stats from XFire or Raptr are relevant about: how popular the game is with the userbase of the service. Obviously, there's no way to relate this to either box purchases or subs. And one should also consider that sampling any sort of "opt-in" population is frought with self-selection errors.

XFire is kinda dying, from what it appears. ESO's daily play numbers are a little under 1000, so if you use some sort of average like 2 hours per player, it's just 500 people, less if the average is more. That's not a large enough number in my mind to really use as a basis.

Now, Raptr's weekly number is about 141K, or 20K per day, which is a better sample. Unfortunately, they don't seem to display trend charts, so it's harder to tell what is going on with games. However, since you can get the month and week playtime for the top 100 games, you can do a quickie calculation to see how the game is trending. If a game were completely level, one would expect to see the week number being about 25% of the month number, if one assumes that "one month = four weeks" or 23% if "one mointh = thrity days". If this ratio is above this level, then the past week's playtime is exceeding the average over the month; if less, then the playtime is below the average.

I've been tracking TESO, WoW, SWTOR, and Eve for a few days:

• WoW has been just slightly trending down, with a ratio of 21-22% (around 800K hrs/week)
    • SWTOR has been almost holding steady to a slight downward trend, 23-24% (120K hrs)
    • Eve has been slightly trending up, 25-27% (but only 65K hrs)
    • TESO has been trending downward fairly rapidly, with a ratio of only 15-16% (141K hrs)
    While I've only been doing this tracking for 5 days, in this time I have seen TESO's weekly playtime number drop from 159K to 141K.

Of course, with just about any new game, you would tend to see a dropoff in most individuals' amount of playtime from the first month, so even this is hard to really attribute a large amount of concern. The question in my mind is when will it level off, or will it?
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

It won't ever be told unless...

1.) It can be used as Marketing hype with good numbers.

2.) They are forced to say it (aka usually to investors).

Typically the only numbers used will be ones to manipulate to give a positive spin on things and give the illusion of lots of purchases.  Its rare a game flaunts its actual sales as they aren't as high as many like to feel its enough to try and push on people. 

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by cheyane

FFxIV ARR was released on 27th Aug 2013 and on September 17th this was a press release 

Game director Naoki Yoshida explained the game's server woes earlier this month. "The night following the announcement of our plans to temporarily limit sales of the download version, A Realm Reborn recorded upwards of 218,000 concurrent connections," he said at the time. "This is in spite of the fact that the peak login times for separate regions around the world arrive at differing intervals. We estimate that without time zone differences, the total number of concurrent connections would number anywhere from 300,000 to 350,000."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-reopens-digital-purchases-of-final-fantasy-xiv/1100-6414524/

So what's up Zenimax ?

I seem to recall that the prime motivator for Square's release of player numbers was in an effort to explain why so many players simply could not login to the game. So they attempted to explain the server clusterfuck by claiming that they'd never expected THAT many players.

ZOS has no such problems to explain away. There have been no server queues or suspensions of game sales. The game performance has generally been extremely good, even in PVP.

So the only reason ZOS would release numbers would be for promotional reasons. However, the ZOS marketing efforts so far have been somewhat erratic and even slightly bizarre, so it comes as no surprise that they are not doing "what everyone normally does".

I'm sure their main focus is on console sales (given Skyrim's sales history). Releasing PC/Mac sales numbers will affect console sales, and the numbers will inevitably be compared to sales of Skyrim. That will not go well, even though the comparison is both irrelevant and unfair.

I still think that they'll release combined sales figures for all platforms (after the console release) without giving a breakdown, because that will give the most favourable overall picture.

Zenimax knows their product is doing poorly as far as performance and they've decided to push back their console releases until late this year.

"Most of the issues should be fixed and improved by the time "The Elder Scrolls Online" is released on the PS4 and Xbox One. The delay is going to push the game's release until Nov. or Dec. of this year."

So I don't think we can expect any combined figures any time soon.

I think Zenimax wants to ensure that the console game is in a much better shape than the release candidate of the PC version. One of the major reasons could be that releasing bugfix updates can not be carried out as easily and quickly as for the PC version due to third party distribution of the update:

PC:  Zenimax ---> Customer

Console: Zenimax ---> Sony/Microsoft ---> Customer

When it comes to sales figures. Not sure if there are annual or quarter reports available. These could provide you with intel about sales.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I think the main reason they are delaying is because they want to add massive amounts of new content and try to fix all the complaints, that way they can get a re-review of the console versions.

This game at it's core has amazing potential, if they fix the problems then it could be a great success. 

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Typically the only numbers used will be ones to manipulate to give a positive spin on things and give the illusion of lots of purchases.  Its rare a game flaunts its actual sales as they aren't as high as many like to feel its enough to try and push on people. 

Zenimax would only use it for marketing. ZOS isn't a publicly traded company. 

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Look up EAs financial report and tell us numbers on SWTOR.

So much of being forced to say it. They can hide the numbers through creative accounting all they want (push some expenses to R&D, then have "communal marketing budget" then various royalties that dont have to be attached to the game itself, or just slap it with Fifa, obesivley popular money maker)

But yeah. Your 1st point still stands, they can spin it all day long for advertising purposes. But there are some things you just cannot spin ;P