Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still no official sales numbers?

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I only care about if they sold one copy, my copy.  I'm having fun.  Stop bashing everything new, and go find a game you like, instead of trolling the forums everywhere.

So you are playing an MMO and dont care if they sold more than one copy? Brilliant! image

He obviously hasn't heard that box sales, subscription numbers, and stock prices are the new end game for MMOs. Pfft this loser actually thinks people play the games still!

He must be living uder a rock.

Zenimax made this prety clear when they started flaunting their Beta numebers.

That leaves the question- If the beta numbers were so important for us to know that Zeni released them- Why are the box sales, sub numbers now of little importance and worthy of sarcastic comments? Were you (and others) sarcastic during the threads discussing how many people were in the Beta? Why did that matter? Was it because it reflected well on a game you like and this silence does not? So we shouldnt now discuss it? Yet it was fine to discuss when beta numbers were being bragged on?

I only care about if they sold one copy, my copy.  I'm having fun.  Stop bashing everything new, and go find a game you like, instead of trolling the forums everywhere.

So you are playing an MMO and dont care if they sold more than one copy? Brilliant! image

He obviously hasn't heard that box sales, subscription numbers, and stock prices are the new end game for MMOs. Pfft this loser actually thinks people play the games still!

Not sure what your sarcasm is implying. You seriously saying that an MMO would be fine with only one person playing it? Why on earth would that be an MMO then?

I dont care much about massive box sales but I do expect an MMO to atleast have thousands of player, at any one time, playing it. Otherwise, what would be Massively about it?

An actual MMORPG wouldnt work with only one plater but ESO would be fine. If Npcs were tossed in running around you would never even know the difference.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Not sure what your sarcasm is implying. You seriously saying that an MMO would be fine with only one person playing it? Why on earth would that be an MMO then?

I dont care much about massive box sales but I do expect an MMO to atleast have thousands of player, at any one time, playing it. Otherwise, what would be Massively about it?

Where's a better place to find those people you need to have in game. On a forum reading an official post about numbers.................or in the game ? So with that in mind reread the post you quoted where the guy says he doesn't care how many boxes they sold beyond the one he bought and rethink about what he really meant.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Where's a better place to find those people you need to have in game. On a forum reading an official post about numbers.................or in the game ? So with that in mind reread the post you quoted where the guy says he doesn't care how many boxes they sold beyond the one he bought and rethink about what he really meant.

I'm going out on a limb here. Zenimax haven't released any official figures...no sources to back up my claims.... but I think ESO has sold more than one copy.

So he doesnt have to worry about playing any MMOs with just himself

Originally posted by Cougan

I'm going out on a limb here. Zenimax haven't released any official figures...no sources to back up my claims.... but I think ESO has sold more than one copy.

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOL-

That was pretty funny.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Cougan

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that wasn't what he was saying but he forgot to write it in crayon so it's gone over some peoples heads.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    ZOS is a privately run company so they are under no obligations to investors to release any financial information so they probably wont. including sales / sub numbers
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    ZOS is a privately run company so they are under no obligations to investors to release any financial information so they probably wont. including sales / sub numbers

Wow- No kidding. That hasnt been brought up before.

Again, Zeni were VERY OPEN about their beta numbers to the point of nearly bragging. They were not obligated to release those either- But they did. Because the numbers were good.

Why go silent now when they were so wiling to discuss numbers less than 2 months ago?

-Hence the point of this discussion.

Originally posted by Jacxolope

Again, Zeni were VERY OPEN about their beta numbers to the point of nearly bragging. They were not obligated to release those either- But they did. Because the numbers were good.

Why go silent now when they were so wiling to discuss numbers less than 2 months ago?

because they are under no obligation to let you know how they're doing why do you take it so personally that they wont tell you

because they are under no obligation to let you know how they're doing why do you take it so personally that they wont tell you

I dont take it personally.

But again- That isnt the discussion. The discussion is, why release some numbers (you are not obliged to release) and brag about them but not release other numbers and not expect speculation? It makes no sense. When my buddy meets a chick and brags about his 69 Corvette (he does) he is under no obligation to divulge anything but it makes him look good. I pretty much wont enter the conversation and cringe when asked "what do you drive" because divulging that I drive a toyota doesnt look so good.

If I had a corvette, I would brag as well.

. Nothing personal. In fact, the people I see taking anything personal for the most part are the fans who think anyone who talks negativly about "the chosen game" is personally attacking them or insulting them.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    You missed my point. I said the  "idea" of an ES MMO. That is when someone 1st hears there will be one before they start reading or hearing about how it will be designed. That 1st "spark" of an idea, when a person hears that it's going to be done and they think of what's possible. Then they hear about what's going to be reality. The "hate" didn't happen until it became clear that this game was going to be "DAOCNext" with borrowed lore.

This...

...and a sequence of events leading up to release.

(1) Release from closed Beta NDA;

(2) Negative comments on many forums from closed Beta testers, many contradicting the hype out of ZOS;

(3) An apparent surge of pre-order cancellations OR a significant slow-down of pre-orders (based on commentaries on multiple forums);

(4) New marketing push and open Beta with version of the game not ready for release;

(5) General outcry about phasing issues, many problems with bugged quests, players falling through the world, etc.;

(6) Another, even greater surge of pre-order cancellations AND a significant slow-down of pre-orders (based on commentaries on multiple forums);

(7) Another marketing push with lots of shils in forums and statements by ZOS that they knew the source of the problems and they'd be fixed before release;

(8) Another open Beta with an improved version of the game (many fewer problems IMHO);

(9) Early release and large number of players discovering problems weren't fixed, plus new problems surfacing like gold sellers out the kazoo, bots everywhere, lost items, lost gold, lost bank slots, dupes, and other cheats being used in game;

(10) A hue and cry in forums on the three sites I monitored;

(11) Even more shils with even less believable claims on the forums;

(12) Several patches fixing bugs... and, with so many players in game, players discovering design issues instead of bugs...

(13) Lots of cancellations / some refunds.

Obviously, that's a lot of surmise from reading a lot of forum posts, but to me the sequence suggests ZOS at near panic mode (due to poor pre-order sales?) when they had their first open Beta with a very obviously poorly tested version of the game... that the shils tried to pass off as a two-month old version of the code (even though ZOS said it wasn't).  And the sequence of ramped up marketing hype followed each cycle of player outrage was blatantly obvious (I really do believe their marketing team is a bunch of amateurs).

[EDIT: Didn't mention the timing of MMORPG.com's "fake" reviews.]

By the extent to which all the various forums have died down, I suspect that a whole lot of people have left the game, disappointed for one reason or another.  Will they come back?  I really don't think the hype machne is going to work a second time.

But again- That isnt the discussion. The discussion is, why release some numbers (you are not obliged to release) and brag about them but not release other numbers and not expect speculation? It makes no sense. When my buddy meets a chick and brags about his 69 Corvette (he does) he is under no obligation to divulge anything but it makes him look good. I pretty much wont enter the conversation and cringe when asked "what do you drive" because divulging that I drive a toyota doesnt look so good.

. Nothing personal. In fact, the people I see taking anything personal for the most part are the fans who think anyone who talks negativly about "the chosen game" is personally attacking them or insulting them.

if my memory serves correctly, it was something like 5million invites went out... not actually 5 million people playing. i'm still playing the game i have a vet 10 sorc, i find it fun but once you hit vet 10 it's kind of a brick wall of nothingness... i couldnt care less what the numbers are or arent as long as i'm enjoying myself for the time being thats all that really matters.

if my memory serves correctly, it was something like 5million invites went out... not actually 5 million people playing. i'm still playing the game i have a vet 10 sorc, i find it fun but once you hit vet 10 it's kind of a brick wall of nothingness... i couldnt care less what the numbers are or arent as long as i'm enjoying myself for the time being thats all that really matters.

Sure, and thats fantastic you are enjoying yourself.

But we are just speculating on  and discussing a hot topic.

Personally I think the box sales were pretty huge (in my opinion) based on the fact that tons of people I know bought the game (even my Dad who isnt an MMO player)- I think the cancelations and refunds wer also quite huge (again, based only on what I see with freinds or read in forums)

To me, this would be a hot topic to discuss if I loved the game or hated it (or was indifferent) due to the IP.

Zenimax/Bethesda made tons of profit off the IP alone but also invited all this speculation and discussion as a result.

Disney understood this with their IPs which is why they are generally very strict with who can use them, in what way and what the quality controls are.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I am going to disagree here. I think it's the opposite. Players are looking for reasons to love these games when they come out. The problem is, they can't find any.

Just the idea of Elder Scrolls Online should attract millions. That concept should not generate hate in and of itself. So why is reality different?  Do you think people just decided to hate on Elder Scrolls because it's a new MMO? No, the game simply fails, both as an ES title, and an MMORPG.

People have hated it from day 1, because it wasn't "modded Skyrim."  Go back through some of the older threads here, from when it was first announced.  You'll see some cautious optimism, but it's mostly people logging in to complain about a game they haven't played.  There's also the toxic F2P crowd, who used the standard "I'll try it when it goes F2P in 6 months" as some weird passive-aggressive insult.

So  yeah, sorry.  The game received(s) a ton of hate because it wasn't a F2P sandbox, which is what a lot of people wanted.  Nevermind the fact that they have tons of other F2P sandbox games to choose from coming out (Arceage, Black Desert, etc); no, they just had to focus fire TESO on -- I don't know -- principle or something

TESO isn't really unique here.  These forums used to be nothing but an outlet to bash on WoW, and extol the virtues of the next WoW-killer (Vanguard, Rift, Conan, etc).  

Maybe it's because MMO's have been focusing too much on PvP, so they've attracted the people looking for conflict and trash talking.  There's a real sports-team-fanboi thing going on with the industry.  I'm surprised I haven't seen sigs with Calvin pissing on a TESO logo or something.

You missed my point. I said the  "idea" of an ES MMO. That is when someone 1st hears there will be one before they start reading or hearing about how it will be designed. That 1st "spark" of an idea, when a person hears that it's going to be done and they think of what's possible. Then they hear about what's going to be reality. The "hate" didn't happen until it became clear that this game was going to be "DAOCNext" with borrowed lore.

Really?  Really?  Have you played the game?  Cyrodiil is nice but it's more like a mini-game tacked on at the end.  The bulk of the games content, experience points, skill points, and celebrity voice acting clearly went into the 300+ hour solo quest grinder PvE experience.

• They probably sold close to a million copies.

but I bet they only have around 300k-400k subscribers at most.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Only reason to care about this  is to post more Troll threads.

A TON of people are having fun...get over yourselves.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I think if this game sucked, nobody would be talking about it. Look at Neverwinter not a bad game, nothing special, no real effort or drive behind the development of that game. Came out, people played it, had a bit of fun, stopped playing.

ESO comes out and people are still talking about it, the real pvp in this game is online...I think people really want to love it but can't, then there are others who can't understand why they love it.

This game is highly specific in it's tastes, it probably fooled or duped a lot of players. However if you enjoy the playstyle, lore, story of this game, you like ES, you like MMOS, then you probably love it. Very specific tastes.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by JDis25

I think if this game sucked, nobody would be talking about it. Look at Neverwinter not a bad game, nothing special, no real effort or drive behind the development of that game. Came out, people played it, had a bit of fun, stopped playing.

ESO comes out and people are still talking about it, the real pvp in this game is online...I think people really want to love it but can't, then there are others who can't understand why they love it.

This game is highly specific in it's tastes, it probably fooled or duped a lot of players. However if you enjoy the playstyle, lore, story of this game, you like ES, you like MMOS, then you probably love it. Very specific tastes.

^This

I understand people not playing it, just not people "having" to post about it if the moved on.

MOVE ON!!

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    If the game is good and solid then it should be able to stand if people want to discuss aspects about the game on a third-party website.  No need for players to get so defensive.  It seems that ESO boots people out of the game and directs them to these forums whenever something is posted that isn't praising the game.   Would you over zealous fans prefer we post and discuss on the official forums instead?  I would imagine the official forums would be filled with more positive threads for you guys to peruse and not get so upset over.  Am I wrong? 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by kakasaki
    I'm very interested in seeing box sales, subscriptions, or any official sales numbers. I've been keeping an eye out and guess it would be all over this site if it was released like the 5 million registered for beta but not seeing anything yet. It's been over a month since release, what gives? Do you think they will ever release sales figures or did they do so bad that they never will?

You have obviously made up your mind as to the answer, what's the point of even asking the question?

My personal opinion on the game has nothing to do with official sales numbers.

As far as I know that vgchartz number could be off by more than double. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that if they are not releasing the numbers they didn't hit something worth bragging about? I'm open to other explanations if you got any. Maybe they are just waiting for the console launch I don't know.

I'm pretty sure since they bragged about beta numbers they would have paraded 5 million if they had sold that much as well.

Excuse me for being interested in how much they sold and asking why we haven't seen official numbers. I would like official numbers way more than speculation.

You come off as a person who is happy if the sales don't reach a certain milestone.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rodingo
    If the game is good and solid then it should be able to stand if people want to discuss aspects about the game on a third-party website.  No need for players to get so defensive.  It seems that ESO boots people out of the game and directs them to these forums whenever something is posted that isn't praising the game.   Would you over zealous fans prefer we post and discuss on the official forums instead?  I would imagine the official forums would be filled with more positive threads for you guys to peruse and not get so upset over.  Am I wrong? 

Well I think you have to own the game to critique it on the official forums. It limits the number of over zealous haters.

oh and how come no response to my comment in our conversation that showed ESO trending up  on Xfire over the course of  30 days. More players and more time played today than one month ago. Whens the last time you seen that?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The Trendspike in Xfire is already down to the normal Level and the only thing that will make ESO a success is if Consoles cattle the herd in.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    I'm very interested in seeing box sales, subscriptions, or any official sales numbers. I've been keeping an eye out and guess it would be all over this site if it was released like the 5 million registered for beta but not seeing anything yet. It's been over a month since release, what gives? Do you think they will ever release sales figures or did they do so bad that they never will?

You have obviously made up your mind as to the answer, what's the point of even asking the question?

As far as I know that vgchartz number could be off by more than double. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that if they are not releasing the numbers they didn't hit something worth bragging about? I'm open to other explanations if you got any. Maybe they are just waiting for the console launch I don't know.

I'm pretty sure since they bragged about beta numbers they would have paraded 5 million if they had sold that much as well.

Excuse me for being interested in how much they sold and asking why we haven't seen official numbers. I would like official numbers way more than speculation.

You come off as a person who is happy if the sales don't reach a certain milestone.

Yeah I'm going to put on a party hat and dance around with some sparklers /SARCASM oh and /EYEROLL

Why because I don't wonder how good the sales were? Because if they were good and worth bragging about they would have done so just like the beta numbers. I also want something official because these Xfire, Raptr and VGchartz numbers all could be off by over double or more. Heaven forbid I want official accurate numbers.

I'm curious more than trying to press any type of opinion on the game. Doesn't mean I can't wonder how many people bought it, or what the sales, subs, users whatever figures actually are.

My personal opinion on the game really doesn't matter.

Here's an easy question. Why no sales figures Zenimax? Game is sooo good they can't anounce them yet?

/Reaches for SpongeBob Party Hat...

/JK

/JUST KIDDING IN CASE YOU REQUIRE JOKES EXPLAINED

Might get some SpongeBob nipple tassels that turn on and spin too, great party idea for whatever imaginary milestone ESO didn't meet.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by rodingo

Well I think you have to own the game to critique it on the official forums. It limits the number of over zealous haters.

oh and how come no response to my comment in our conversation that showed ESO trending up  on Xfire over the course of  30 days. More players and more time played today than one month ago. Whens the last time you seen that?

Yeh I looked at the trend  with hours on Xfire but I couldn't see how the number of players changed.  I could only see the one number in the bottom left that reads "Players: 247".  When I click on the dots for the different days it just shows different numbers for hours not players.  What do I need to click on to see the trend in the number of players?  I'm also curious as to what your thoughts are on their ranks on Raptr.  Since ESO is 10  (it was at 7 last week)  and GW2 is 12 currently, do think ESO will be able stay above GW2 for much longer?  Honestly?  Like I said earlier, I think in about 2-3 weeks those numbers are going to flip flop.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

No need to get defensive. The point is that since so many here have a bias about the game, there is little point to any "official" numbers as people will spin/distort the numbers given to support their opinion of the game.

This is why I don't listen to people who only throw numbers and statistics at you... like they even matter.  Statistics are not evidence to anything, except what you want them to be evidence of.  You guys have to actually put some thought into these statistics.  If they don't seem to be adding up, or something about them seems fishy... then something about the argument is fishy.  For instance:

Bill Burr has this comedy bit about how he won't go into the ocean.  His buddies were trying to get him to go deep sea diving with them, and he won't go because he doesn't want to be attacked by a shark.  So one of his friends decides to present his educated perspective to him by saying that statistically speaking, 90% of all shark attacks happen in shallow water, therefore it's safe to assume that going deep sea diving will not present a substantial risk of a shark attack.

Well, to most people... this would be enough to convince them.  Because as we all know... statistics are evidence of facts that can't be refuted.  But Bill Burr counters this education by saying something that uses statistics and actually makes sense:

"No $hit 90% of shark attacks happen in shallow water.  That's where 90% of the people are."

At any rate, the only reason why I can see why anyone would be interested in knowing the sales numbers is that if the numbers are low... then they can feel good about predicting its failure because of whatever bull$hit they think they know about what makes a good MMO.  "I told you guys months ago that this game would fail without an Auction House." or "I told you guys this game would go F2P."

Aren't armchair lawyers just the most precious things you've ever seen?

Why does it matter what the sales numbers are?  Why are you even curious except to be able to rub it in someone's face?  Why are you guys just peeing in your pants with anticipation in hopes that the game will fail hard?  It's not like Zenimax went out of their way to gloat and claim they've made the best MMO ever conceived.  In retrospect... they've been pretty modest about everything.  It blows my mind how people will take stuff like this personally, and in some way, find validation for their life in it.