Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar Review by 33yo gaming since before internet

DeSadeWhirlfistDeSadeWhirlfist Member UncommonPosts: 28

My creditials: If its an MMO i've probably played it, in some cases for years. I grew up on Everquest, I ate Planetside for breakfast, and crapped out many games that have lost my interest. I believe games are suppose to make you want to play, to advance your character, to get the lwwt loots. I believe pvp in todays MMO scene is a requirement, and shouldn't be an after thought.

My likes: End-game, the journey to end game, character progression, PVP.

My dislikes: Easy watered down themeparks that cater to the kids

Wildstar Review- First impressions graphics are different from  what I normally play, game play is EXACTLY the same as every other MMO out there. They have the ground markets which allows you to dodge enemy hits, but if you really think about this....Nearly every MMO i've played has ground markers, but they are invisible making the game more difficult. Wildstar shows the ground markers actually making their game more easy then it already way in the MMO market. I remember the days of Everquest, if you stood in front of a dragon you'd normally get fried unless you were the tank. If you stood behind the dragon you wouldn't get hit by cones....Same concept as wildstars combat system, if an enemy has cone attack dodge it or stay behind it and guess what no damage....Whats easier, whats more visually pleasing, whats more realistic this is gonna be the question that haunts Wildstar. In an industry where gaming is already to easy, people looked to Wildstar for difficult and different gaming....Wildstar fails horribly in the eyes of this hardcore gamer. Purchase Wildstar no thanks I wouldn't even play it if it was F2P.

Wildstar beta access: Played for a good solid gaming session 8-10hrs....Won't be back

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Thank you for your third post ever.  

As EQ was the oldest MMO you mentioned.. that's hardly BEFORE the internet.

You state that you enjoy End-game and PvP.  Not sure exactly why you're complaining.  Other than you can't test the very part of the game you profess to like.

Please, do tell us what you're currently subbed to....

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

I guess you have not seen the ground markers from raid bosses? You will be getting hit by a lot of shit. It countless interviews they have said you will be eased into the ground markers over time.

Also, you can turn them off if you want to so......not sure what all the qq is about with them on every gaming forum.

• DeSadeWhirlfistDeSadeWhirlfist Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Waldoe

I guess you have not seen the ground markers from raid bosses? You will be getting hit by a lot of shit. It countless interviews they have said you will be eased into the ground markers over time.

Also, you can turn them off if you want to so......not sure what all the qq is about with them on every gaming forum.

The complaint is gamers won't purposefully hamper themselves in a game normally as most gamers I know are kinda competing with others. So why would you hamper yourself just to make a game more difficult that everyone else is playing on easy mode. I dont need to see the raid boss markers because as I stated every MMO out there has these markers, but they are invisible.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by DeSadeWhirlfist
     You can judge how good a game is gonna be within first few hours of playing it. 

For gaming since before the internet that's a hell of a shallow way of judging games.

..Cake..

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88

So you say you love end game, The road to end game, and character progression... But you just dissmiss a game in with only 8 hrs of play session? 

If you would really love end game like you say you would be drooling with what these guys have in store.

Also this is not a review, if anything is a first impression on noob zone. Way to go champ!

Originally posted by sgel
     You can judge how good a game is gonna be within first few hours of playing it. 

For gaming since before the internet that's a hell of a shallow way of judging games.

As I said previously if a game doesn't grab your attention and MAKE you want to play, then the game is no good. Wildstar failed in this respect for me. Call it w/e you want. We all have played games that you just can't stop playing, thats my definition of a good game in a nutshell. If 8-10hrs into Wildstar I find myself wanting to play something else, then the game needs work.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    you're old..

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly. I'm 43 and been playing since 1982 and even my 'credentials' don't give me powers that allows me to look into the future of wildstar raiding, did you try end game raiding OP? However since blizzard devs are developing raiding and because they don't have the trinity baggage and because they have a desire to make hard content - they will.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

you can judge how good a game is gonna be within first few hours of playing it. If the game doesn't keep you playing, toss is away.

I think you are wrong. There is a learning curve to Wildstar. Around level 20 you actually start true character development. Until then you are just learning the mechanics. The AMP system alone takes a bit to fine tune.

So how many level 50 toons do you have currently in Wildstar?
    None you say? How can you judge a game without experiencing end game. Yes there are telegraphs in PvE but have you seen how complexed they are.

You say you grew up on EQ.. Seriously? Most EQ fights were almost straight Tank and Spank with almost no mechanics at all.
    From a Cleric Healer aspect, the raiding was.. Complete Heal.. 1..2..3..4.. Complete Heal..1..2..3..4..Complete Heal..1..2..3..4..Complete Heal. That was so easy to the point of boring.

Yes you are right.. You stand if front you die.. You stand behind your safe.. How boring is that.

Wildstar your not safe anywhere. You have to constantly move and still do your job. You have to Aim.. EVERYTHING.. not just click on a name then Heal or DPS..

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game..

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    And actually no, if it doesn't grab your attention then it may not be good for YOU. It does not make it not good. a grabbed my attention, looked like good fun levelling with a promise of both hardcore and casual
    Play at end game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Wildstar has pretty much the toughest endgame content of any western MMORPG around.

Sure the game doesn't start as Dark Souls 1/2 but definately gives you the challenge at endgame if you are willing to face it.

If you really can't stand the path to lv50 with so many various levelling options maybe the game/genre isn't for you.

In Wildstar you can efficiently level with PvP, questing, grinding, running instances/adventure so there's plenty of options for different kinds of players.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    As a 47 year old who actually was doing BBS before the WWW was conceived your full of nonsense. At 33 you weren't even formed yet pre-internet BBS making the rest of your post obsolete...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

A big LOL at your "credentials".image

No one cares how long you've been playing video games or what you've played in the past and it certainly doesn't give you any gaming cred, no matter what you may think.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

No it's not a review, it's you giving your opinion that you personally don't like the game, reviews are objective e.g you don't make assumptions about game features you haven't touched, and certainly dont us terms like noob etc (at 33?)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Wildstar has pretty much the toughest endgame content of any western MMORPG around.

Sure the game doesn't start as Dark Souls 1/2 but definately gives you the challenge at endgame if you are willing to face it.

If you really can't stand the path to lv50 with so many various levelling options maybe the game/genre isn't for you.

In Wildstar you can efficiently level with PvP, questing, grinding, running instances/adventure so there's plenty of options for different kinds of players.

I would bet money you haven't truly experienced the end game of any western MMORPG, including wildstar.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Krimzin

you can judge how good a game is gonna be within first few hours of playing it. If the game doesn't keep you playing, toss is away.

I think you are wrong. There is a learning curve to Wildstar. Around level 20 you actually start true character development. Until then you are just learning the mechanics. The AMP system alone takes a bit to fine tune.

So how many level 50 toons do you have currently in Wildstar?
    None you say? How can you judge a game without experiencing end game. Yes there are telegraphs in PvE but have you seen how complexed they are.

You say you grew up on EQ.. Seriously? Most EQ fights were almost straight Tank and Spank with almost no mechanics at all.
    From a Cleric Healer aspect, the raiding was.. Complete Heal.. 1..2..3..4.. Complete Heal..1..2..3..4..Complete Heal..1..2..3..4..Complete Heal. That was so easy to the point of boring.

Yes you are right.. You stand if front you die.. You stand behind your safe.. How boring is that.

Wildstar your not safe anywhere. You have to constantly move and still do your job. You have to Aim.. EVERYTHING.. not just click on a name then Heal or DPS..

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game..

Won't ever have a lvl 50 in wildstar as the game is a joke right now, and until something dramic changes in it...its not worth my time.  The everquest raiding experience was a bit more then sit behind to be safe, matter 0 fact most MMO's today have made copies of EQ's raiding.   Wildstar is the same thing as other MMO's with easy mode turned on in the form of ground markers.

• AyesdiephAyesdieph Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Thank you for your third post ever.  

As EQ was the oldest MMO you mentioned.. that's hardly BEFORE the internet.

You state that you enjoy End-game and PvP.  Not sure exactly why you're complaining.  Other than you can't test the very part of the game you profess to like.

Please, do tell us what you're currently subbed to....

Just to set things straight..

I, too, have been gaming that long.  Longer actually.  I started "computer" gaming in the early 80's on the C64.  - Yet EverQuest was my first MMORPG in 2000 (I waited a year before trying it).  I started right when the first expansion was released, Kunark.

That's still 14 years of MMO experience and over 30 years of computer gaming experience.  I've seen games evolved from text only, to sprites, CGA, EGA, VGA, to the amazing visual worlds we have today.  It gives you an entirely different perspective I believe.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I knew what the OP meant. 

Originally posted by sonicbrew
    As a 47 year old who actually was doing BBS before the WWW was conceived your full of nonsense. At 33 you weren't even formed yet pre-internet BBS making the rest of your post obsolete...

47yr old and don't remember when the net came out brother? Been on PC since SNES  days, been gaming since Atari days and not casually...If I put a number on it i'm prolly sitting at 10-16hrs gaming every day I love my job.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Actually out of the noob zone. As I said game isn't that hard. 

So wait, you made it out of the noob zone and that way you concluded that the game isn't hard?

hehe :)

..Cake..

47yr old and don't remember when the net came out brother? Been on PC since SNES  days, been gaming since Atari days and not casually...If I put a number on it i'm prolly sitting at 10-16hrs gaming every day I love my job.

Seriously dude give up. You weren't even formed when it was pre-internet BBS. I have 14 years on you and was a kid back then. You may have been gaming a long time sure but get your facts straight.  And adding more credentials makes your point more worthless. I could list a ton of credentials but no one really cares. However, as I said again, you were not even conceived pre-internet, WWW.That I know for a fact. Change your post title and maybe you'll get better responses.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

1)  If you're going to "claim" credentials.  Don't claim it was a) before the internet or b) EQ was your first MMO.

2)  This person "claims" to enjoy raiding/endgame/PvP but only sat around the game for 8 hrs. 

3)  It's a non-review.  If any half-assed reviewer out there said in their review that they played 8 hrs.. they'd be laughed off the forum/the internet.  

Why do we give people like this credence?  

Having said that, if this person just said: Look I don't like the game.  Here's why.  X, Y, Z.  This would be a discussion.

Instead it's just wah-I don't like this.

• AyesdiephAyesdieph Member Posts: 14

Seriously dude give up. You weren't even formed when it was pre-internet BBS. I have 14 years on you and was a kid back then. You may have been gaming a long time sure but get your facts straight.  And adding more credentials makes your point more worthless. I could list a ton of credentials but no one really cares. However, as I said again, you were not even conceived pre-internet, WWW.That I know for a fact. Change your post title and maybe you'll get better responses.

Ahh BBS's.  I ran one in my late teens.  Eventually I added a second line to it, too .. with a 14400 baud modem no less!  Blazing fast lol.  For those that don't know you had to have a dedicated phone line installed for each line, each with their own phone number (which people had to know in order to connect to your BBS).  

I ran Telegard until I discovered the hacked versions of Renegade.  ASCII art and DOOR games ftw.  Trade Wars 2000 and L.O.R.D. being the most popular.   I actually knew the guy that created LORD through a friend.  He had a crazy network setup in his garage for gaming with his friends when multiplayer was coming on.

Memories.

Originally posted by Ayesdieph

Ahh BBS's.  I ran one in my late teens.  Eventually I added a second line to it, too .. with a 14400 baud modem no less!  Blazing fast lol.  For those that don't know you had to have a dedicated phone line installed for each line, each with their own phone number (which people had to know in order to connect to your BBS).  

I ran Telegard until I discovered the hacked versions of Renegade.  ASCII art and DOOR games ftw.  Trade Wars 2000 and L.O.R.D. being the most popular.   I actually knew the guy that created LORD through a friend.  He had a crazy network setup in his garage for gaming with his friends when multiplayer was coming on.

Memories.

LOL thanks for making me feel older now :)

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

My creditials: If its an MMO i've probably played it, in some cases for years. I grew up on Everquest, I ate Planetside for breakfast, and crapped out many games that have lost my interest. I believe games are suppose to make you want to play, to advance your character, to get the lwwt loots. I believe pvp in todays MMO scene is a requirement, and shouldn't be an after thought.

My likes: End-game, the journey to end game, character progression, PVP.

My dislikes: Easy watered down themeparks that cater to the kids

Wildstar Review- First impressions graphics are different from  what I normally play, game play is EXACTLY the same as every other MMO out there. They have the ground markets which allows you to dodge enemy hits, but if you really think about this....Nearly every MMO i've played has ground markers, but they are invisible making the game more difficult. Wildstar shows the ground markers actually making their game more easy then it already way in the MMO market. I remember the days of Everquest, if you stood in front of a dragon you'd normally get fried unless you were the tank. If you stood behind the dragon you wouldn't get hit by cones....Same concept as wildstars combat system, if an enemy has cone attack dodge it or stay behind it and guess what no damage....Whats easier, whats more visually pleasing, whats more realistic this is gonna be the question that haunts Wildstar. In an industry where gaming is already to easy, people looked to Wildstar for difficult and different gaming....Wildstar fails horribly in the eyes of this hardcore gamer. Purchase Wildstar no thanks I wouldn't even play it if it was F2P.

Wildstar beta access: Played for a good solid gaming session 8-10hrs....Won't be back

Let me tell you something about WS's PvE, specifically raids. There are mini bosses and trash mobs in there which are harder than many main bosses in WoW or TOR. Now, i can't get into details since this section is still under heavy NDA but whoever thinks that the telegraph system will make raiding or even 5man veteran dungeons easy is in for a very nasty surprise. 

When the game goes like i'm gona have fun watching some "pro's" who claim that markers simplify things wiping time after time on the first veteran dungeon boss. 

Lol indeed in 1980 I was playing games regularly in arcades (no continues!), he was just out of his mommies womb at that point :)