Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth the 150 for alpha acces i so wan to play it

Comments

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    No game is worth MORE than a car payment.

um... What kind of car do you drive.

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Why wast your money to play alpha/beta when everything will be wiped when it goes live? It really seems like a stupid purchase "TO ME"
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Well.. no.. not even a little bit. You have any idea how many games you could buy on steam for that amount of money? Especially during sale time? I mean, in terms of value it's an idiotic thing to do.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

I'm still a bit butt sore from dropping $80.00 on ESO and cancelling.  But AA has had my eye.  But think about it:  alpha will eventually become the permanent test server.  So everything you did gets wiped obviously.  Is $150.00 really worth it to get into an alpha that will be F2P?  I'd rather have at least beta players around me to feel like I'm exploring a new world.  Not a bunch of alpha power levelers that already went through a good deal of the content.  How foolish is that? 

$50.00?  Maybe.  $150.00?  It's Summer.  Life anyone?

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123

I just paid $150 for Alpha access

GO me!!!

• samsweetsamsweet Member Posts: 24
    I wouldn't waste money on this game. I've seen the screenshots and I'm pretty sure it's asian. Everything looks pretty asian. I'd just wait for eqnext.
  • MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    It's 2014, pay for alpha, and let the devs milk you dry. Do it.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It's well worth the $150. What a lot of people don't  realise is it's not an alpha in the normal sense. It's a fully functioning  AAA game that's in the process of having the text objects converted to western languages. Much of the English translation is already done and I believe French and German versions are coming too.

The alpha server is open 24/7 and  because it serves the EU, Americas and Australasia is busy with thousand of players at all times of day. The $150 will allow you to play the game without needing to spend any extra money for the rest of this year. If you compare that with a typical mmo game costing $60 followed by a $15 per month subscription it works out pretty favourably.

Beta is slated to start next month but that is closed beta so you will still need to pay if you want to join it. Also, it will be for "beta events" so you'll probably only be able to play at the weekends. The only way you'll be able to play the full game for free will be when it launches officially probably towards the end of the year and like all F2P games you're going to have to expect to pay some money if you want to get the most out of the game.

I certainly don't regret paying the $150 and nor do the three other members of our GW2 guild that have joined me. We all think it's a blast.

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

$150 bucks may seem like much but when you calculate what you get, I feel that I got my moneys worth.  This is one of the best mmorpgs I have ever played. I have been waiting for the game what feels like an eternity. I played the Russian beta before investing the money.  I plan on subbing to the game. There is no free to play game imo.  You need to sub to any game to experience the content.  Anyone that does not sub to a f2p game is just trialing it.  You get 3 months of premium (patron) game time. That is $45 bucks there.  You get 11,250 credits ($75).  You get $120 worth of value.  If you planned on subbing to the game, it practically pays for itself in the long run.

• Play in Alpha before Beta begins, while supplies last!
    • 11,250 Credits ($75 Value)
    • 4-Day Patron Head Start
    • Title: "Trailblazer"
    • 90-Day Patron Status
    • 6 Daru Chests
    • 10 Evenstones
    • 10 Hereafter Stones
    • Glass Phoenix Glider
    • Desert Assassin Platemail
    • Reagents to put your own crest in-game
    • 10 Pet Healing Potions
    • Founder's Cloak
  • britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Sunnyguy46
    Why wast your money to play alpha/beta when everything will be wiped when it goes live? It really seems like a stupid purchase "TO ME"

It is my understanding that the Alpha server will become the test server.  It is also my understanding that characters on the Alpha server will remain for the test server.  Nothing will be wiped however new servers will come online for beta, one not being the Alpha server.   Also, playing in an alpha/beta environment is intended as an opportunity to help the developers find any bugs and report them.  Want a better game ? Help the developers by actually using the Alpha and Beta as intended and have a better game experience on launch.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

you wont miss anything if you dont play AA Alpha. Trion doesnt need testers anyway- they are just doing translation. Its a money grab and you would be the fool. If you dont mind playing the game and leaving before open beta starts- go play russian version.

Also you need to ask yourself if you need patron status at all. As far as i know the house is not permanent, you need to pay taxes and so on. The game offers some features but its also very limiting in that point. And graphics are from 2008.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    From the few people I know who paid $150 for this game, only 4 people, all of them have told me its ok but they would not do it again given the choice.

I'd agree with this.  I dropped the $150, and I wish I could have a "redo".  In order to gain a decent amount of experience for leveling, you either have to: a) follow the "themepark on-rails" questing OR b) indulge in the typical Korean-made MMORPG mindless "grindfest".

The so-called "Ultimate Sandbox" is anything but.  There is no room for true creativity like you would find in say, Everquest Next: Landmark, the land plots where you are allowed to build are NOTHING like Ultima Online, where pretty much the world was your oyster, and the crafting system is terrible, with ridiculous objectives to reach for some trades before you can move on to a better way of doing things.

As far as gathering resources, the system is still broken, and your crops can randomly disappear or the system can randomly drop you as owner of your own crops, meaning someone can roam by and find an owner-less crop and harvest everything even though you should still have a claim on it.  I could forgive this is the game was truly an "alpha", but it has been live in Korea for a year.  This on top of the fact that your "farm" space is very limited, so your tentatively planted crops are small in size, meaning you will have to pretty much dedicate yourself to repeatedly planting small crops in order to accumulate the goods you need to raise your trades to a relatively decent level.

It really does rely on poorly executed time sinks, so if you thought you were escaping lame time sinks in another MMORPG, think again.

To anyone on the fence about jumping into this right now I'd say; "Hold off until you see reports of a substantial content update that improves the gathering and crafting systems, because the game relies on these in order for the player to participate in some of the more advanced aspects of the game.

• LordDevilLordDevil Member UncommonPosts: 253

I really love the concept of Archeage and the features... but yeah the graphics are a bit lacking for today. However the biggest problem I have is the boring combat. And since I have played Black Desert CBT2 in Korea... combat can be so awesome in MMOs too. So its hard to play a game where the most you do is combat, but combat isnt really good at all :(. And well Black Desert will mostly arrive not much later then Archeage... - so yeah I will skip this...

Currently playing: Archeage
    Waiting for: Black Desert

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    I wouldn't expect black desert here for other 2 years seeing how long it took with AA, and how long is taking with blade and soul..
  • MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Binafus

Yes it is worth it.

One warning this game is very addictive, this would be my biggest worry about buying it.

Pretty much this, i honestly have to clog myself with things to do so i don't burn out and feel like im repeating everything i've accomplished in release. 

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I know AA worth playing or at least trying, but 150bucks is not for me, i dont spend so much Money in a game in one payment.

I will wait for release and pay the monthly fee, thats all.

Maybe i buy the lowest pack for head start.

But if is ok with ur wallet, go for it.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    150 is hard to get together atm even tho i f i can it be fine : )

you can play the russian version for free..

why dont people know this?

Originally posted by Copperfield

Maybe they do but don't want to play a game where everything is in a language they don't understand?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

Maybe they do but don't want to play a game where everything is in a language they don't understand?

....but I'm paid $150 for a game could only understand 60% of the time :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

....but I'm paid $150 for a game could only understand 60% of the time :)

Well that's understandable if English isn't your first language as it seems going by your post . However, for those of us who do have English as their first language the Trion version is probably more like 95% understandable. It's only the cut scenes really that haven't been translated.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

I think 150.- is far too much, but there will definitely be the one or the other player willing to pay this price.

The only way to get me as alpha tester for 150.- or a bit more would be, if the package included a lifetime subscription or some sort of lifetime benefits.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

No its not worth it... but what you are asking is a personal perspective question.

My reasons:

We should not be paying to test a game, they should be throwing out invites for free to people who will help them fix issues.

Its a F2P game, they should offer things at pocket money prices. This new age of charging high-top end prices for the smallest of things.  Swtor/Trion/PWE all have terrible and imo expensive F2P shops, in Rift you can soon buy for real cash a full raid suit?

Tera has a great F2P model, you are not pay walled out of anything but you are rewarded heavily for subscribing.  Before it shutdown CoX had a great F2P model.

This is why I try to pick P2P games, I am very very choosey over which F2P game I play.  Make me feel like a beaten donkey and I will Eeyore my fucking way straight into a competitors game.

Bit of a Rant but ... 3rdly Archeage will not be updated properly for a year, trion is far far behind the current release and it will take time to catch up with translations etc.

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

150 bucks for an alpha? Hmmm...

Let my call my best friend "Common Sense":

*rrrrrriiing*

*rrrrrriiing*

*rrrrrriiing*

Oh hi common sense what's u-... oh .... really??

... wow.... oh ok

.... ah yea i get it now...

uhu uhu ... yea..... 

ok thank you.

Guys I just talked to him and he says you're being scammed.

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

I'm currently on alpha but only makes sense if are a guild leader and want to understand the game and plan what you are going to do once it goes live and then you must be able to throw 150$ away.

It's alpha it's a free to play game, they are going to reset every progress when CBT and Beta starts and 150$ is not even the price worth of subscription they are offering.

150€ would be better invested in upgrading your pc.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

There's plenty of videos and information out there so that you can make that decision for yourself, and not ask this forum. 

Really? I would say that videos and information should be used along with forum discussion. What's wrong with asking others for their experience with the game to see if there's anything that stands out for you? My god... Some folks are so cold around here.