Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(ESO) Paypal Denies Reimbursement.

Comments

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by trancefate
    Originally posted by cheyane Why did you not ask for a refund right from the start from Zenimax ? Why wait and try to get it from Paypal ? You should have done it within the first week. How long did you wait ? You played the full 30 days right then you deserve not getting the money.
    To respond to you and the other completely incorrect and ignorant comments here, I tried VERY hard to make this game work. Tried to the point of giving them multiple weeks to fix known issues 100% halting progress, to no avail.

For the record, I did ask for a refund well before the grace period was over, 21 days in to be exact.

Here is the copy pasta.

"The product was significantly not as described. Ignoring significant ammounts of downtime creating large times of complete unplayability, there were issues that completely precluded participating in the content I paid for. Every single attempt at a forray into cyrrodil has ended in chain crashes, I had to re-install three times and this problem still persists. Frequent duping has destroyed the game economy, three well known ones within a week. Guild bank and mail functionality have been down for a significant ammount of time. My character was stuck for greater than two weeks time unable to progress because of a known and unfixed issue in the main story quest. Bots run rampant and can be seen EVERYWHERE. Gold spammers fill my in game mail and chat boxes continuously. But more than anything: I was more often than not UNABLE to play your game or progress to the content I paid for due to bugs and instability."

Keep in mind, I paid $80 for a workable, long term, MMORPG. Not for a single player RPG with broken PVP, no player interaction, broken mail, broken bank, bots, multiple economy destroying gold/item dupes that have been intentionally left in since beta, and bugs that literally halt progression through 4/5 (all veteran zones, cyrrodil, and eventually craglorn) of the game.

SO yeah, I guess i'd take an 80% reimbursement since I was able to complete about 20% of the content I paid for....

TLDR: I'm not asking for a refund because I didn't like the game; quite contrarily the game was great, their release and backend were so garbage they completely denied service and playability to many customers, myself included.

Unfortunately you failed to consider what would class as "a reasonable period of time" when asking for your refund.

In the UK, for example, Statutory Rights enable me to ask for a refund and get it within a reasonable period of time after the purchase (7-14 days). If I waited 21 days and then asked for the refund, I would get told to do one...

If for those 21 days you could not play the game at all then you could possibly puppy dog up to Zenimax directly. If however you did in fact play a large chunk of the game, multiple levels across multiple hours of game time, you aren't going to get a refund as you've experienced a majority of the product without error.

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

"While they say this, it isn't true. They may try to fight you and force you to get a manager on the phone (in progress). I have succesfully recieved total reimbursement for a digital copy of another game  because I could pinpoint the issue to their software, not my hardware."

You are correct, you may make a serious funk as a customer about receiving a refund on disputed claims, and POSSIBLY get a refund. In general if you go through the normal chains your claim will be denied.

Also note, if you repeatedly have dispute claims on your account, you get red flagged with Paypal and you will meet with more resistance because they will view you as an abuser (even if you aren't).

As a gamer who deals with MMORPGs and knows how developers release unfinished shit product without any recourse it would be in your best interest to use a debit or credit card rather than fight with PayPal and ignoramus forum fanboys.

100% true.

UPDATE: After speaking with PayPal management, I have been informed that if you request your tied bank account to do a chargeback on this, PayPal -- WILL NOT -- argue with your bank, and Zenimax has already greenlighted any chargebacks without contest.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Azzras

So you played your 30 day time and after asked for a refund?

Shame on you.

Yep.   What's worse is they come here and expect sympathy.    You paid for the game, played it for the 30 days free and expect a refund, sorry...but Zenimax owes you nothing and Pay Pal was right for turning you down.   

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

Glad to see paypal might be stopping people from abusing chargebacks. The sheer amount of times I see people telling others to go straight for a charge back before any other course of action is absolutely ridiculous. You should always go to the company first and give them reasons other than your game sucks because hate to tell you but that is not a reason to get a refund and never will be.

If Zenimax has said that they are giving out refunds no questions asked then why the hell would you go over their head and do a charge back, just ask Zenimax for a refund. This makes no sense to me.

And btw, in case you guys don't know doing  multiple charge backs can get you in trouble and enough of them could even prevent you from getting another card in the future without jumping through hoops. Charge backs also cause the company to lose a lot more than just what you paid.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I see you lost $80. Buying the more expensive edition of a game you aren't 100% sure about is never a good idea. Next time be more careful with your money.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by naami
    I see you lost $80. Buying the more expensive edition of a game you aren't 100% sure about is never a good idea. Next time be more careful with your money.

This

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Paypal gave me my full refund from ESO, but I contacted zenimax first and posted our conversation when they stopped responding after finally agreeing to refund me.

Were you banned before requesting refund?

I've been here a while...
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Why did you not ask for a refund right from the start from Zenimax ? Why wait and try to get it from Paypal ? You should have done it within the first week. How long did you wait ? You played the full 30 days right then you deserve not getting the money.

To respond to you and the other completely incorrect and ignorant comments here, I tried VERY hard to make this game work. Tried to the point of giving them multiple weeks to fix known issues 100% halting progress, to no avail.

For the record, I did ask for a refund well before the grace period was over, 21 days in to be exact.

Here is the copy pasta.

"The product was significantly not as described.

I personaly feel it is the game as described, yes it has some issue's some seem to experiance more then others (incl me) I have run into a few issue's, but keep in mind I've been playing this genre for many years so I alway's give a newly released game time to mature, same goes with it's community it will settle down to the more dedicated players. People are just far to impatience.

Ignoring significant ammounts of downtime creating large times of complete unplayability, there were issues that completely precluded participating in the content I paid for. Every single attempt at a forray into cyrrodil has ended in chain crashes, I had to re-install three times and this problem still persists. Frequent duping has destroyed the game economy, three well known ones within a week. Guild bank and mail functionality have been down for a significant ammount of time. My character was stuck for greater than two weeks time unable to progress because of a known and unfixed issue in the main story quest. Bots run rampant and can be seen EVERYWHERE. Gold spammers fill my in game mail and chat boxes continuously. But more than anything: I was more often than not UNABLE to play your game or progress to the content I paid for due to bugs and instability."

Regardless I have been effected with the downtime's quite allot since I need to plan my gametime and don't have much of it. But to me it's a good sign, they are on top of known issue's, some will be fixed, some will not, new might become known....it's the story of any MMO/RPG both succesfull or slightly succesfull or even unsuccesfull games.

Not really sure why you re-installed the game 3 times, or was it really  just because the game crashed??

Goldspammers are a plaque but most of the time a simple /ignore will do th trick. I sure do find it anoying F1 every gold spam mail but I will do so everytime I get one. The ignore in chat doesn't really take much time

Keep in mind, I paid $80 for a workable, long term, MMORPG. Not for a single player RPG with broken PVP, no player interaction, broken mail, broken bank, bots, multiple economy destroying gold/item dupes that have been intentionally left in since beta, and bugs that literally halt progression through 4/5 (all veteran zones, cyrrodil, and eventually craglorn) of the game.

So glad I am  experianced MMORPG player and already knew not to pursuit reaching VR  or cap lvl with a newly released game. Doesn't make it okay these issue's keep people from playing "their" way. But like I said anyone with some experiance in this genre should have known better.... As for the economy destroyed, you know that's not true, did it get stratched, sure.

Also sure long before I reach VR I am sure most issue's are fixed. Since I have run into just some very minor issue's so far.

SO yeah, I guess i'd take an 80% reimbursement since I was able to complete about 20% of the content I paid for....

Why the rush?

TLDR: I'm not asking for a refund because I didn't like the game; quite contrarily the game was great, their release and backend were so garbage they completely denied service and playability to many customers, myself included.

1) I'll get my $80 back, I promise you that.

2) I almost always buy the collectors edition, this is the first time I've ever asked for a refund on one.

I bought the expensive steak at dinner, if they burned I would return it just the same as the cheap steak.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

I bought the expensive steak at dinner, if they burned I would return it just the same as the cheap steak.

How many bites would you take first?

Originally posted by simsalabim77

Probably two or three, if the middle wasn't ruined I'd just eat it. Unfortunately with ESO it was 2-3 bites of good steak, and the rest was frozen solid....

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

Probably two or three, if the middle wasn't ruined I'd just eat it. Unfortunately with ESO it was 2-3 bites of good steak, and the rest was frozen solid....

How much time did you spend playing it?

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Zegaloth
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Originally posted by Azzras
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Awesome news glad to see this!!!

To many gamers trying to take advantage of Paypal... ESO is playable... They had the same issues as every other MMO at release, they have the right to fix it, if they don't they you deserve  your money back, they did..The game is fixed and everyone is playing... I know this because I could not play due to crashing at login and a few others. They also gave us our time back ..

So Paypal should not give any of you your money back!!!

You have never eaten at a restaurant and sent back food or gotten your money back because the food was terrible after you already tasted/tried it?

Same concept.

There is a more loss to a restaurant from you even touching the food because that product is now lost compared to someone disliking a game and getting their money back.  Zenimax or any company at that has no actual loss of product that needs to be paid for through an increase of sales.

Not many restaurants will give you a full refund if you ate everything except the last bite.  @Zegolath as well

And the player didn't "eat everything except the last bite"

Is he VR10?  Does he have an almost fully geared character?  Does he have almost every skyshard in game?  That would be a proper analogy to "eat everything except the last bite"

Even at level 50, its not even half way through the game.

Do you not understand that he has had the game for well over a month? Thats like going to a resturant, eating half of your meal and getting it to go, then waiting 30 days to eat it, only to return it to the resturant to say it tasted bad and you want a refund, only in this case the game has been getting better with all of the bug fixes.

Actually due to food having a spoil time and a video game having no way to actually spoil that analogy fails miserably.

Food is either good right away or not.  A video game on the other hand can be patched and fixed up over time.  To wait a bit for a refund because a company claims they are going to fix the issues is not so far fetched.  When they actually don't fix anything with a recent patch well, its time for a refund.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

Simple rules:

- never pre-purchase anything

- never purchase a game that hasn't been officially released

- never purchase a game until you have tried it, or read enough reviews after it has been released

- never ask for a refund.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by olepi

Simple rules:

- never purchase a game until you have tried it, or read enough reviews after it has been released

Why are video games and movies the ONLY form of entertainment where consumers willingly don't ask for their money back? 

Yet many wonder why video games in their eyes have gotten worse, or companies have increasingly tried to nickle and dime their consumers, well I have an answer.

You throw your money away at them and never ask for a refund when it dosn't work, or is not as advertised.  Whats the incentive to care about your product if there is no fear of losing money from refunds.

Can't wait for digital consumer laws that protects the consumer to start being formed.  So sick of this anti-consumer mind set.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I think the game is utter boring crap but people expecting or getting refunds that played for over 100+ hours or 30 days are just abusing the refund policy.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

Actually due to food having a spoil time and a video game having no way to actually spoil that analogy fails miserably.

Food is either good right away or not.  A video game on the other hand can be patched and fixed up over time.  To wait a bit for a refund because a company claims they are going to fix the issues is not so far fetched.  When they actually don't fix anything with a recent patch well, its time for a refund.

Maybe ESO is like a finely aged cheese.

Simple rules:

Why are video games and movies the ONLY form of entertainment where consumers willingly don't ask for their money back? 

Yet many wonder why video games in their eyes have gotten worse, or companies have increasingly tried to nickle and dime their consumers, well I have an answer.

You throw your money away at them and never ask for a refund when it dosn't work, or is not as advertised.  Whats the incentive to care about your product if there is no fear of losing money from refunds.

Can't wait for digital consumer laws that protects the consumer to start being formed.  So sick of this anti-consumer mind set.

You will never need to ask for a refund if you follow those simple rules. You could have read the reviews: they are full of the fact that bots are rampant, quests are broken, grouping is hard, etc, etc. Or you could have played in the beta; one hour into the beta for SWTOR I knew I didn't want the game.

But if you pre-purchase, or purchase before trying it or reading the reviews, then you could be surprised at what you bought, but it's your own fault. Test drive the car first, never buy first.

------------

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

For anyone who was wondering, for the first time ever I have had a paypal dispute decided in favor of the seller. This is unprecedented, because as far as "product missing parts or not as advertised" claims go, this is by far the most blatantly broken piece of trash I have purchased. Sadly, Zenimax has lobbied paypal, and doesn't even respond to their emails anymore, giving paypal sole deliberation.

Dear ---- -----,

We have concluded our investigation into this case. Unfortunately, at this
    time we are unable to decide this claim in your favor.

-----------------------------------
    Transaction Details

Seller's Name: Zenimax Online Studios
    Seller's Email: [email protected]
    Seller's Transaction ID: 5TM39234GJ355510N

Transaction Date: Mar 20, 2014
    Transaction Amount: -$79.99 USD
    Invoice ID: 655000191299
    Your Transaction ID: 2SB63073J49934307
    Case Number: PP-003-106-386-865

Buyer's Transaction ID: 2SB63073J49934307

Sincerely,
    PayPal

So you play for 15 days, and are just like well i dont like this game now i should get a refund? I am glad they didnt give you one. You dont get to play a free 15 days of ESO, and then expect a refund. By may 20th there was more then enough information and reviews on this game for you to make a logical choice. Just because you failed at that, doesnt mean they should give you a refund. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Unentitled claim was denied. That's how it should be done.

Simple rules:

You will never need to ask for a refund if you follow those simple rules. You could have read the reviews: they are full of the fact that bots are rampant, quests are broken, grouping is hard, etc, etc. Or you could have played in the beta; one hour into the beta for SWTOR I knew I didn't want the game.

But if you pre-purchase, or purchase before trying it or reading the reviews, then you could be surprised at what you bought, but it's your own fault. Test drive the car first, never buy first.

Flawed logic, if I buy a car without test-driving it, that still doesn't get the dealer off the hook when my brakes don't work.

Originally posted by makasouleater69

For anyone who was wondering, for the first time ever I have had a paypal dispute decided in favor of the seller. This is unprecedented, because as far as "product missing parts or not as advertised" claims go, this is by far the most blatantly broken piece of trash I have purchased. Sadly, Zenimax has lobbied paypal, and doesn't even respond to their emails anymore, giving paypal sole deliberation.

Dear ---- -----,

We have concluded our investigation into this case. Unfortunately, at this
    time we are unable to decide this claim in your favor.

Transaction Details

Seller's Name: Zenimax Online Studios
    Seller's Email: [email protected]
    Seller's Transaction ID: 5TM39234GJ355510N

Transaction Date: Mar 20, 2014
    Transaction Amount: -$79.99 USD
    Invoice ID: 655000191299
    Your Transaction ID: 2SB63073J49934307
    Case Number: PP-003-106-386-865

Buyer's Transaction ID: 2SB63073J49934307

Sincerely,
    PayPal

So you play for 15 days, and are just like well i dont like this game now i should get a refund? I am glad they didnt give you one. You dont get to play a free 15 days of ESO, and then expect a refund. By may 20th there was more then enough information and reviews on this game for you to make a logical choice. Just because you failed at that, doesnt mean they should give you a refund. 

Once again, flawed logic, Maybe the broken content didn't start until 15 days in? SURPRISE! that's like saying "there wasn't a cockroack in the other parts of your burrito, why are you complaining NOW?"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Because of course it has never happened to you, and you have NEVER needed to get a refund for a faulty product.  If you can't imagine it ever happening to you, must mean its the other persons fault right?

The thing is, it swing both ways.

If others can play the game and do not ask for a refund due supposed unplayability and game breaking bugs, how come this particular guy cannot...?

And in that case, the refund will be rightfully denied.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

OP... why did you make this thread?

I wonder how many thousands of refunds get denied by Paypal every single day. This online porn site guaranteed they would get my rocks off, after having to finish the job off myself, The cops came to my house and stole my computer (sticky keyboard and all) After which Paypal refused to reimburse me.

I guess sometimes life just sucks.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Simple rules:

Refraining from comment on the OP's situation, but I will agree that better consumer protection laws are needed when it comes to digital goods. The software industry (entertainment or otherwise) is the only one which can routinely get away with selling buggy, half-finished crap to consumers with almost complete impunity.

If I buy an appliance / device which lacks advertised features, is broken upon arrival, or doesn't perform up to promised specifications, I can get my money back rather easily, and have plenty of legal avenues to pursue should the vendor / manufacturer refuse.

If I buy a piece of software which lacks advertised features, doesn't run as promised, or just plain outright won't work, you're pretty much screwed. Third party vendors will often refuse refunds, and blacklist you from doing further business with them if you manage to obtain a refund through your bank. If your bank says no, you're screwed. Hell, Valve will not only ban you from purchasing anything on Steam, but will deny you access to every game you've bought from them if you obtain a refund through your bank. Talk about a load of bullshit, eh?

I'm not a big government person. I think most governments are bloated, bureaucratic messes with spending problems which put most millionaire debutantes to shame. However in this area... yes, we need more consumer protections. The technical intangibility and potential volatility of the software industry's (and entertainment overall, to an extent) products has exempted them from common sense consumer protection regulations long enough.

TL;DR: I'm tired of buying buggy shit which doesn't work as advertised and having no viable legal recourse against the dicks who sold it to me in the first place.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

"Flawed logic, if I buy a car without test-driving it, that still doesn't get the dealer off the hook when my brakes don't work."

Oh yes it does. If you buy a used car and don't test drive it, no judge will give you your money back. Think of video games as a used car, you know they have problems right from the start. People who had it before you said it had broken this, broken that. You decided to buy it anyway, and now want your money back when it has broken this, and broken that.

Test drive it first, make an informed decision, and then live with your decision.

------------

This discussion has been closed.