Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do carebears claim EVERY game as their own?

1235»

Comments

• S1rnemS1rnem Member UncommonPosts: 11

Hi!

Despite calling me a liar based on my thread not directly connected to my paper, I thank you for the input!

Just to correct you a little, World of Warcraft does not have open world PvP! You can attack an enemy (a player from another faction) but not everyone, thus rightly not making it open world PvP.

It appears you're confusing open world (non-instanced) PvP for FFA PvP.

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    PvPers always insist on acting like open world PvP is a requirement for being a sandbox. It really isn't at all. And plenty of PvErs love sandboxes.

I never understood why the pvp crowd has such a problem with choice. If the "carebears" want to play on a separate consensual pvp only server why does that bother you?

Sandbox != Open world PvP.

Open World PvP is simply a "feature" that some sandboxes incorporate.

The second part, is that it is not "all" PvP that think that way. However, there is a group of them that have a problem with this because the "carebears" are their equivilent to PVE content...gives them something to kill with plentiful ease, thus, they want them around, some because they enjoy it, some because it is a padding of stats. Not "All" PvP are like that, some, or maybe even most, just enjoy the challenge presented with players versus AI combat, those are usually the ones who don't care if the carebears aren't around and/or leave, because they generally present no challenge.

~I am Many~

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by ORIGINALPK
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by ORIGINALPK
    (I can't see sandbox fans urging publishers to add open world PvP or other elements to pure themepark games such as WoW etc).

Besides the fact that you're a total liar and the only research you're conducting is "how to improve forum trolling" no one has to push Blizz/Activision to add OW PvP to WoW because it already exists. Just select PvP server and there you go. AAA OW PvP at your fingertips in one of the world's biggest MMO's.

Hi!

Despite calling me a liar based on my thread not directly connected to my paper, I thank you for the input!

Just to correct you a little, World of Warcraft does not have open world PvP! You can attack an enemy (a player from another faction) but not everyone, thus rightly not making it open world PvP.

Straight from wikipedia:

Some games offer open PvP (also sometimes called world PvP), where one player can attack another without warning anywhere in the game world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_versus_player

WoW fits that description on PvP enabled servers. No where in that page is open PvP defined as being able to attack members of your own faction. Thanks, have a good one!

That's Free For All PvP (FFA PvP), where there are no factions, or PvP against your own faction is allowed.

FFA PvP implies OW PvP in addition to the added bonus of being able to attack just anyone.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Answering the OP: the carebears dont stay in a mmo for much time. They consumes all its content in a speed that no developer until this date can keep. So they keep jumping from game to game, and because this they seens to pester EVERY new announced mmo regardless of its announced rulesets or target public.

the bulimic kind of player rushing content =/= carebear
    don't confuse.
    carebear is a pejorative used by players who appreciate pvp to addrees players who don't appreciate pvp and refuse to mess with.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I have not seen any comments similar to "I hope this game doesn't have open world PvP". Does my anecdotal evidence counter OP's anecdotal evidence?

Do you know why FFA open world PvP is disliked by so many? -Its because it has never really worked as intended. Moreover, the metagame relies heavily upon "the wolves" (PvPers) praying upon "the sheep" (PvEers) which directly disrupts their gameplay. I would observe the net sum of these inter-player encounters is negative; It means open world PvP creates more displeasure than pleasure in the player population.

There's also a drastic difference between PvE combat and PvP combat which ensures that a character designed for latter will always win in engagements between the two. As it stands, there's rarely any risk involved for the PvPer. Hence the common distinction between PK (someone who kills mostly players who are not prepared to defend themselves) and actual PvP (players killing other willing players for sport).

If PvE combat and PvP combat were more similar, a PvE builds would stand a better chance of defending themselves. Ideally, you would want the distinction between PvE builds and PvP builds to vanish completely, but this is likely a pipe dream. For one, I would imagine it would require vast improvements to AI as well as a more complicated and laborious encounter design.

We are not there yet.

Open world PVP works in EVE Online, but only because of the implications put onto the player through the game mechanics. I don't know why developers haven't used this model in other games. It provides relatively safe places for "carebears" to do their thing while providing plenty of places for pvp.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well open world pvp could be also in themeparks (check WoW, Aion, etc)

the sandboxes have FFA Open World PvP, where the players have to protect their carebears from enemies, cause those carebears generate the profit. So even there carebears are those who actually own the game also :p

in themeparks everyone is a carebear so everyone works for himself, on the contrary on sandboxes the carebears have to work for the pvpers in order to be safe and the pvpers have to protect their carebears in order to be viable also. Something which demands coop not just for a raid on a boss, but in depth. This last part is something people dont like anymore, they prefer to have an invisible and invincible power to protect them.. Dont forget the MMORPGs reflects our societies ...

i hope you can understand me  : )