Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I like Archeage considering my Loved/Hated aspects of MMOs?

BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I Love:

-huge open world

-sea travel/underwater adventures (eq1, was it kedge keep? loved it)

-RAIDING technical, difficult PVE encounters that require coordination

-PVP with limits i.e. Warhammer 10 level limit range, etc, no max level ganking newbies that have no chance in hell

-areas of the open world that you simply cannot survive solo, or even duo, but really need a group to survive in

-class interdependency, i.e. need a wizard to port in vanilla eq1, need a druid for speed buff, etc.

-consequence i.e. if i kill a town guard, or too many town guards, they should remember me and kick my ass/jail me, whatever, if they catch me (kill me)

-randomness i.e. raid level contested mob visiting lower level areas sometimes, rare mob spawns that drop special item but only appear once a week for 8 hours before depop (not same time every week)

I Hate:

-asian style gear/clothing (overly flamboyant) with no other choice

-asian style mobs (fat cat like mobs, very 'round' body style mobs everywhere, or say a mob that's obviously a tiger, but it's named something like Sanjotku in the game, mobs that look like pokemon characters

-mmos you can solo all the way through

-combat that looks/feels like im playing soulblade or doa, aion did this to some extent and it was a real turn off for me

-items that simply don't fit in a medieval/fantasy swords and sorcery stle mmo - examples: day glo bikinis, sports cars, airplanes, modern clothing/sunglasses

-pay 2 win items in a cash shop

I've watched a few streams and the gliders are kind of silly in my opinion, reminds me a lot of gliding in aion,  I would prefer to just have a flying mount, but not a deal breaker.

So, based on MY loves/hates, I just wanted to get some opinions from those who are playing the western alpha now if you think AA would be something I should look into now, or wait for free to play release?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Think you will like as long as the weight of the things you love outweight those you hate, then there is also a lot of other mechanics that you don't mention that you will probably like.

AA has a sort of medieval/steam punk style, gliders for me while playing feel they belong in that world.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    My love/hate list is pretty much the same as yours, which is why I'm watching for Blessed and Black Desert as well. Has pretty much all the features of ArcheAge with a less annoying cutsey asian art-style, might wanna check those out yourself too.
  • BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

If your on the fence or not sure wait till it is F2P when it  releases you only start four days later than everyone else.

Play the Western Faction, Western is more like a NA style mobs etc, Eastern is more eastern type mobs.

Give this game a try though it costs  you nothing, it is the first game in Many Years that I might have trouble with playing TOO much.

The main thing people bash this game about is part of why it is so good., it is not a new game.   The normal new game mess ups are not there and it has a ton of Content very involved game there will be some learning curve.  The Questing teaches you a lot do not skip the main line quests even though you don't need them they teach you.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Brizlyn

I Love:

-huge open world

V

-sea travel/underwater adventures (eq1, was it kedge keep? loved it)

V

-RAIDING technical, difficult PVE encounters that require coordination

V

-PVP with limits i.e. Warhammer 10 level limit range, etc, no max level ganking newbies that have no chance in hell

X - PVP is zone based. You'll get ganked starting at lvl 30 by lvl 50s

-areas of the open world that you simply cannot survive solo, or even duo, but really need a group to survive in

X - you can survive anywhere if you know how

-class interdependency, i.e. need a wizard to port in vanilla eq1, need a druid for speed buff, etc.

V - synergies where one skill from one class complements the other, but nothing as dramatic as "port needed"

-consequence i.e. if i kill a town guard, or too many town guards, they should remember me and kick my ass/jail me, whatever, if they catch me (kill me)

V -lots of that

-randomness i.e. raid level contested mob visiting lower level areas sometimes, rare mob spawns that drop special item but only appear once a week for 8 hours before depop (not same time every week)

X - Haven't seen any except for PVP randomness

I Hate:

-asian style gear/clothing (overly flamboyant) with no other choice

X - it's a Korean MMORPG, it has a blend of Asian and European styles. e.g. mounts to me look very Asian

-asian style mobs (fat cat like mobs, very 'round' body style mobs everywhere, or say a mob that's obviously a tiger, but it's named something like Sanjotku in the game, mobs that look like pokemon characters

V - some of that, but not a lot. Mobs look genuinely terrifying for the most part

-mmos you can solo all the way through

X - you could solo this one but not see everything. A lot of the later game trading is dependant on others

-combat that looks/feels like im playing soulblade or doa, aion did this to some extent and it was a real turn off for me

V - combat in this game is great. Not Guild Wars 2 great, but great for a traditional MMORPG

-items that simply don't fit in a medieval/fantasy swords and sorcery stle mmo - examples: day glo bikinis, sports cars, airplanes, modern clothing/sunglasses

X - lots of that here. a lot of controversy about tanks, cars and tractors even on Korean servers. This is a steampunk fantasy hybrid, not a true fantasy.

-pay 2 win items in a cash shop

X - Only for crafting. You can buy things that make crafting easier and faster, which is a huge part of the endgame. So in a sense...yes

I've watched a few streams and the gliders are kind of silly in my opinion, reminds me a lot of gliding in aion,  I would prefer to just have a flying mount, but not a deal breaker.

Gliding in this game is used in exploration (lots of secret locations with rewards) and in sieges. It's pretty fun actually. 

So, based on MY loves/hates, I just wanted to get some opinions from those who are playing the western alpha now if you think AA would be something I should look into now, or wait for free to play release?

Thanks for any feedback!

My brief preview of this based on the Russian version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlb6A-AEtfw

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Thanks for the great responses!!! It sounds like I *could* like this game a lot but that I should probably wait for it to be released (free to play) rather than dropping $300 (me and wife) now.

Will keep it on my list to check out!