Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick GW2 Question

ishraqiyun77ishraqiyun77 Member Posts: 6

Hi, so I've been playing Rift and The Secret World. I love how the systems let you customize your character so you can switch between roles: healing from tank if you want. I have been trying to find info as to if GW2 is like this as well. I hate MMO's where you have to level a new character if you want to play a different role as much as I hate MMO's with subscription fees.

It sounds like BLESS will have this kind of versatility, so I am looking forward to it coming out.

Comments

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Well there's really no healing/tanking. You can change your spec/build relatively easily. But you do need alts to experience the different classes.

Can my mesmer go from ranged to melee? Yes, but it's not exactly a Guardian or something like that.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    You don't have set roles in GW2. They have what you could consider three different aspects of combat: Damage, control and support. Damage is, well, damage. Control is that which restricts the enemies movement or ability to inflict damage to you, and Support is preventing or mitigating damage or control to yourself or allies. Many of the skills in GW2 have multiple aspects to them... a skill that will damage the enemy may also cripple him (control) and provide a boon (buff) to allies in the area (support). Every profession has unique ways of doing this, and you can spec your character to favor something more than another (stronger healing, more powerful condition damage, etc.) but you can never solely be damage only, control only or support only. If you try you're always leaving something on the table, gimping yourself.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

What the posters above me said.

An Elementalist for example can be a good healer or swap to nice damage and crowd control builds. A Necromancer can deal very nice condition damage while also cleansing his party members.

But just like it was said those mage classes aren't really great for tanking. Heavy armor classes CAN be used for support builds but that doesn't happen often.

I consider Necromancer the most versatile class but that is just my personal opinion and note that being versatile isn't the same as being the best class for a certain build.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ishraqiyun77

Hi, so I've been playing Rift and The Secret World. I love how the systems let you customize your character so you can switch between roles: healing from tank if you want. I have been trying to find info as to if GW2 is like this as well. I hate MMO's where you have to level a new character if you want to play a different role as much as I hate MMO's with subscription fees.

It sounds like BLESS will have this kind of versatility, so I am looking forward to it coming out.

Well, GW2 ain't exactly a trinity game so you don't really tank in the traditional way. Each class do have several options though. An elemental as example can do DPS/conditions or you could go as support/heal. 

My warrior can change on the spot between "tanking" (which is more about body blocking, positioning and tactics then regular aggro mechanics) and DPSing by just switching my zweihander to a regular sword and a shield.

But GW2 have classes and they have all very different mechanics. My thief for an instance don't have cooldowns but gets initiative which I can use for any attack I can afford, spamming a cheap attack or saving up for a good nasty combo. A lot of being a thief is however positioning and dodging at the right moment or you go down faster then a e-trade company in the early 2000s...

You can beat a dungeon with 5 players of the same class without too much problem if you all know how to play but most people still have an alt or several.

For you I would recommend a Ele or guardian since they are rather diverse. Or possibly an engineer if you want something a bit more steampunky.

But as I said, roles are not static, you need to switch in combat as you play. Not all players like that and there are a steep learning curve in the first dungeon unless you have a guild or PUG that helps you out getting the basics right. While at first glance many people assumes that there just is DPS and no group dynamics that wont get you far in the harder content.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ishraqiyun77

From what this post tells me, GW2 is not a good fit for you. The game doesn't have "roles" for it's combat system, it's an everyone for themselves type deal where every class has their own healing abilities and no one can really "tank".

It's fun to level up and and WvW can be some good fun too, but the PvE end game is pretty lackluster in all honesty, especially if you are used to a lot of content and raid style settings / classes.

Give it a shot, if you don't like you are only out $60 and it really is a fun game 1-80 leveling especially.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

From what this post tells me, GW2 is not a good fit for you. The game doesn't have "roles" for it's combat system, it's an everyone for themselves type deal where every class has their own healing abilities and no one can really "tank".

It's fun to level up and and WvW can be some good fun too, but the PvE end game is pretty lackluster in all honesty, especially if you are used to a lot of content and raid style settings / classes.

Give it a shot, if you don't like you are only out $60 and it really is a fun game 1-80 leveling especially.

Nonsense

It's just that there is no point in tanking other than in dungeons.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Nonsense

There is no point in tanking at all really, you just gimp yourself by building defensively in GW2, especially in dungeons. I did hear they were changing the game to bring a trinity system back in though, so I'm looking forward to giving that a shot when it's implemented!

Nonsense

There is no point in tanking at all really, you just gimp yourself by building defensively in GW2, especially in dungeons. I did hear they were changing the game to bring a trinity system back in though, so I'm looking forward to giving that a shot when it's implemented!

Heh... you heard wrong on the trinity thing. There's no plans to bring back the archaic trinity, so don't put too much time or effort into waiting for that.

As far as building defensively, you made a significant error in your assertion. Defensive builds are often necessary in WvW. You build to survive and watch the glass cannons shatter around you. It's true you don't need to be defensive in regular PvE, but that's true of even trinity games. It's the endgames where you need to rethink your builds such as WvW and the newer dungeon instances.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

As far as building defensively, you made a significant error in your assertion. Defensive builds are often necessary in WvW. You build to survive and watch the glass cannons shatter around you. It's true you don't need to be defensive in regular PvE, but that's true of even trinity games. It's the endgames where you need to rethink your builds such as WvW and the newer dungeon instances.

You just made me imagine a higher level fractal run with a bunch of glass cannons and the thought amused me.

To quote Trahearne: "This won't end well"

Harbinger of Fools

Nonsense

Heh... you heard wrong on the trinity thing. There's no plans to bring back the archaic trinity, so don't put too much time or effort into waiting for that.

We were discussing PvE and dungeons as far as I knew. I'm very aware that building defensively is strong in WvW, but it's still not "tanking" in the sense the OP is referring to via Rift or TSW. I'm the proud owner of a defensively built support guardian myself just for WvW.

That's a shame that them fixing the GW2 trinity system was a rumor, but we can all dream I guess.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Nonsense

We were discussing PvE and dungeons as far as I knew. I'm very aware that building defensively is strong in WvW, but it's still not "tanking" in the sense the OP is referring to via Rift or TSW. I'm the proud owner of a defensively built support guardian myself just for WvW.

That's a shame that them fixing the GW2 trinity system was a rumor, but we can all dream I guess.

LoL @fixing. Its trinity that needs fixing (as in removed from games) GW2 is fine and no, it will not degrade back to trinity, thank you.

And you *can* build a tank for dungeons. No point in it but you can. But then, you can do most dungeons naked so...

To OP:

GW2 has roles, but they are quite a bit different than your trinity roles.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Malabooga

LoL @fixing. Its trinity that needs fixing (as in removed from games) GW2 is fine and no, it will not degrade back to trinity, thank you.

And you *can* build a tank for dungeons. No point in it but you can. But then, you can do most dungeons naked so...

To OP:

I don't think the other trinity games need fixing any more than GW2 needs fixing.

They're just different kinds of game design.  It'll work for some people, and it won't work for some.

... but soccer doesn't need fixing so you can dribble the balls with your hand, any more than basketball needs fixing so you can kick the ball cross court. D:

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Meowhead

To OP:

I don't think the other trinity games need fixing any more than GW2 needs fixing.

They're just different kinds of game design.  It'll work for some people, and it won't work for some.

... but soccer doesn't need fixing so you can dribble the balls with your hand, any more than basketball needs fixing so you can kick the ball cross court. D:

I just think its time we take training wheels off ;) Been like 15 years now

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Not having the trinity is one GW2 best feature, right along with shared loot. But some roles are more wanted then others.You can make a LFG with whatever group set up you like. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Meowhead

To OP:

Well said (even if the trinity kinda seems a bit too familiar if you played MMOs as long as I have).

Frankly were a lot of my buddies very critical in the beginning but after I and my guildofficers trained them a little so they learned the group dynamics it wasn't a problem.

Of course both types of mechanics can be improved, the trinity mechanics have kinda been a bit to streamlined after EQ for my taste and could be made a bit more complicated, and GW2s group dynamics could be improved with more skills working together (some do, like shooting a burst of bullets through a wall of flames sets them on fire but there is a lot more possibilities there).

But what I like about GW2s combat is that you often have to think fast unlike anyone playing DPS in most modern trinity games, and that positioning, dodging and actually moving right when you fight matters a lot. Some people have a problem with moving while fighting and they have a tough time in GW2 but that is the part I like best about the combat mechanics.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

You just made me imagine a higher level fractal run with a bunch of glass cannons and the thought amused me.

To quote Trahearne: "This won't end well"

Zerker players prefer to say "Imba fractals".

Heavy support builds (like healing guardian) will allow higher damage up time for the offensive players, especially for PUGs.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Nonsense

A shame? No, it would be an abomination if they broke their combat by adding the archaic trinity model. Also, the newer content has been moving away from "zerker rules!" quite nicely. The more they create the more they're shifting away from stack and shoot. They have plans to revamp the dungeons and when they do the tears of the 'zerkers will flow like an avalanche down a mountain.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    elementalist and necormancers can tank if you spec them properly.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

So much wrong here...

Defensive stats are for WvW yes.

In dungeons, or PVE in general, go full zerk meta build, why spend 1h in a dungeon u can complete 5 mins? Plus u gain more awareness of your class when your life is on the line. 

In Gw2 support(CC/healing) is given NOT in armor type and build, but utilities(Skills)! So in fact and Zerk Guard with proper utilities (e.g Wall of Reflection, "Retreat", Purgin Flames, popping virtues) welding Greatwrod/Sword+Focus  provides better support than a selfish clerics staff guardian, that have abismal damage overall, poor/redundant skills.

And if all else fail, if you have lots of time on your hands, you can always create your own LFG with your own rules.

bye.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Not a great fan of GW2 (i had higher hopes for it) but its a game i highly respect. Better than most subbed mmo's in the market anyway :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

GW2 still has roles persay, they just pop up more in WvW/SPVP settings than easy mode pve content. 

Also someone mentioned raids again... Why are raids fun exactly? Have never understood this... Mindlessly killing things because they're there for a chance of slightly higher numbers on an item drop..

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    You don't have set roles in GW2. They have what you could consider three different aspects of combat: Damage, control and support. Damage is, well, damage. Control is that which restricts the enemies movement or ability to inflict damage to you, and Support is preventing or mitigating damage or control to yourself or allies. Many of the skills in GW2 have multiple aspects to them... a skill that will damage the enemy may also cripple him (control) and provide a boon (buff) to allies in the area (support). Every profession has unique ways of doing this, and you can spec your character to favor something more than another (stronger healing, more powerful condition damage, etc.) but you can never solely be damage only, control only or support only. If you try you're always leaving something on the table, gimping yourself.

This explains it well. Basically it's all dps with some spice thrown in like 1 heal skill or a crowd control skill etc. But ultimately all roles are dps and dodge like crazy.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

Well me and my "noob" guild in GW2 always try to do stuff different, sometimes we do dungeons the oldschool way with 33K health warrior tanking and full water spec elementalist just to try and do stuff different and this way works aswell. Sure we wont do citadel of flame in 11 min but we will do it in 20-25 and thats fine by me.

But like someone said you can't really controll aggro in the same way in gw2 so you have to be more of an "in the way tank" for the mobs. I know everyone is usually going full zerk gear but when you have this massive norn warrior with this much health and toughness I gotta say that I love being in the front swinging my sword and just taking the pain :)

Well what I was trying to say is that you can do dungeons in any setup it just takes longer to finish them.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

So much wrong here...

In dungeons, or PVE in general, go full zerk meta build, why spend 1h in a dungeon u can complete 5 mins? Plus u gain more awareness of your class when your life is on the line. 

In Gw2 support(CC/healing) is given NOT in armor type and build, but utilities(Skills)! So in fact and Zerk Guard with proper utilities (e.g Wall of Reflection, "Retreat", Purgin Flames, popping virtues) welding Greatwrod/Sword+Focus  provides better support than a selfish clerics staff guardian, that have abismal damage overall, poor/redundant skills.

And if all else fail, if you have lots of time on your hands, you can always create your own LFG with your own rules.

bye.

And if you are doing a Fractal or a Dungeon that cant be completed by zerker in 5 minutes, go to the forums and complain that that fractal or dungeon is stupid an OP while saying zerker for life.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

So much wrong here...

bye.

And this is my major problem, with GW2.... There really is no build variety at all. Maybe in WvW but not anywhere else. This game is not really good for the PvE Experience. Without the Trinity, basically everything has devolved into DPS, DPS, DPS in PvE. Which is about as fun as watching paint dry.

GW2 could be a much better game if they actually knew how to make good, balanced PvE content that ACTUALLY used GW2's trinity of Damage, Support and Control.  As it is right now, Support and Control are worthless in all but one mode of the game....

It is a shame too. So many good thing about the game. But as much as you want to call the Trinity a downgrade, it works better than what is going on in GW2, in my opinion....