Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are you over 60 years old and still play?

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by sinnerbylaw

I wonder what is the ratio of male to female for gamers at or above the age 40?

Also i am only 24 years of age, but it is nice to speak with and get to know a wide range of people.

I'd say pretty low.

A lot of the girls I dated in Jr high and high school used to berate me about video games and especially AD&D as being for "little boys".

Its actually eaiser to get women in their 30's (or so) to now give gaming a try than it would have even been to get them to try it as teens, in my age bracket that is.

There were a few exceptions, my best friend Chris always had the "nerdy" GF's, while I had the more popular girls who'd whine about my gaming. I was always secretly jealous of his girl friends.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Hi all i em from belguim i am 50 and still playing games (mmo.rpg.shooters bf2 bf3 bf4)

i feel me verry young :)

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Silkraven
    I'd like to know because I'm a senior and still enjoy my gaming.

I hope to A. Make it to 60 and B. Still be playing if I do.

So GRATS!!! on level 60! :)

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Only 31 but feel older compared to alot of other gamers I see with the way they talk. Not neccisarily bad but just with a younger view on things.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by sinnerbylaw

I wonder what is the ratio of male to female for gamers at or above the age 40?

Also i am only 24 years of age, but it is nice to speak with and get to know a wide range of people.

I'd say pretty low.

A lot of the girls I dated in Jr high and high school used to berate me about video games and especially AD&D as being for "little boys".

Its actually eaiser to get women in their 30's (or so) to now give gaming a try than it would have even been to get them to try it as teens, in my age bracket that is.

There were a few exceptions, my best friend Chris always had the "nerdy" GF's, while I had the more popular girls who'd whine about my gaming. I was always secretly jealous of his girl friends.

I came out of the closet a year ago, now Im proud to say to everyone that Im a Gamer.

It has always been that feeling that games are for kids, cars and golf are for grownups. 

A year ago we were some +40 oldboys that got together and started a wow guild just for fun, raiding, drinking beers, trashtalking in Mumble and in a private Facebook page. Life is to short to not have fun and doing stuff that you enjoy. For me that also include riding my MC. 

And, almost forgot, my GF is ok with my gaming.

----

----

• CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    58 and still playing. A little slower than I used to be and have to wear my glasses these days :)
  • SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343
    I'm turning 47 this month, and have been playing since I got my first C64 for my 16th birthday. Pong, Mission Impossible, Prince of Persia...loved them all. Now I'm more into MMOs. I'm a mother of 2 teenage children, and my 17 years old son's classmates was shocked when he told them that his mother plays games. Now they envy him that his mom is a geek, lol.
  • BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Sinella
    I'm turning 47 this month, and have been playing since I got my first C64 for my 16th birthday. Pong, Mission Impossible, Prince of Persia...loved them all. Now I'm more into MMOs. I'm a mother of 2 teenage children, and my 17 years old son's classmates was shocked when he told them that his mother plays games. Now they envy him that his mom is a geek, lol.

Oh Prince of Persia bring back some memories, they all include painful death. Dont know how many times I died in that game.

----

----

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I am 68 and still playing.  My son, who is 30, and I play a lot together.  My first gaming system was a Coleco, I think that had Pong and a crude Hockey game. 

I have played most of the better known MMOs and single player RPGs.  I don't really care for the direction that gaming seems to be heading and I also don't like the way the communities in online games have degenerated. 

• eleveeleve Member UncommonPosts: 4
    another one here, 57...I've been told I don't exist as there are no old, female hardcore gamers :D
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

All you "old farts" having computers when you were kids make me sick! lol

My Dad (a college professor) got a Sears 4-game Pong console (Tennis, Doubles Tennis, Hockey and one other game) for the family when I was in Junior High ('77 maybe?). After that, I had no computer/video game experiences (other than arcades) until I bought myself a C64 in '87 while in the Army :)

You folks are spoiled, I tell ya. Spoiled! lol

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You don't stop playing because you get old.

You get old because you stop playing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I am always inspired when I see hobbies of mine that older people than me are able to excel at and still enjoy. I am actually 32 years old myself. I remember about 10 years ago I installed a new hard drive on my grandpa's pc so he could continue playing counter strike or half life something along those lines. He was 66 at the time. I was impressed. He was in Vietnam, I wasn't surprised to see how much he enjoyed sniping, he was very patient in game as well, calculating ranges and dialing in, adjusting for wind, I kept thinking just shoot already, but nope he did it his way. Was pretty cool.
  • VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    I have so much respect for gamers in and around this age. I've met quite a few of them in my MMO adventures. You'd be surprised how many there truly are.  
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4

Originally posted by Scorchien
     ill be 50 in July , and started playing games online , thru Quantum-Link on my Commodore 64 in 1983 , been gaming since and lovin all of it .. Keeps me outa trouble also i might add..   :)

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    "Quantum-Link on my Commodore 64 in 1983"
    ^this!! It was such a magical moment; and a huge phone bill that made my parents cut me off. T'was awesome though...

Don't forget about the GEOS operating system for the C-64!!

OMG! GEOS! The first GUI that I got my hands on... Jeez man... THAT was ahead of its time and awesome. I hate to say it but I still have my full setup (took me two years of Christmas's and birthdays to get it all) including a bunch of the 'original' floppy disks, all packed away in a couple of trunks. 

Man..don't ever hate to say it. I miss my Atari 2600 too but not as much as I wish someone hadn't stolen my C64 and accessories..Cassette Drive...Floppy Drive...the original color monitor that still looked great and all my games. MY AD&D gold and silver box games...Axe of Rage...X-men..Bard's Tale..Wasteland......Beachhead & sword of Fargoal on cassette...Ultima Exodus...Summer olympics. The Prince of Persia predecessor Karateka.which i guess they have upgraded and tweaked as a mobile game these days..http://karateka.com/...it goes on and on like me I guess..lol. *sniff *

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My age group have not met any women aside from me playing. As I said before am 54 and I get criticized a tonne being a woman and playing so you guys that get berated I sympathize. I started gaming however in 1994 with PS and then later to computer with EQ as my fist MMO. My first sp game was Fallout.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

I Hit IRL lvl 56 yesterday and still gaming and stay gaming, started back in 1989 when i bought my 1st comp Amiga 500.

My MMO carier started in EQ 1 what I played 4,5 years ( by /played my avrg playtimes for each day in this period was 4,5 hrs).

Foloowing EQ 2, AoC, LoTRO, Fallen Earth, Rift, TERA, TSW (playing it still tho frequently, all is maxed and old grind is boring). And now was pulled into DayZ, Epoch and Napf...  That postapo, survival theme is one of my favorites, and I'm just tired and workout  of elffies-dwarffies style. And waiting for EQ Next and H1Z1 betas come to sale. Tho knowing history it makes me really doubtful, that SoE has shown they could kill a real good game (vanilla-SWG) and trying to go so called "casual-friendly" way without no risks, no real danger for larger auditorium (and more money to their pockets) can kill again a good idea.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    I'll give all you dust bunnies high fives on keeping your gaming going... but SOME hobbies... like my ~60 year old mother going to KISS concerts.... it just looks sad and pitiful, like a geriatrics benefit or something lol >.>
  • shohenshohen Member UncommonPosts: 61
    40 years old here, gaming since I was a kid in the 70s! Currenlty loving Archeage :) As a few people mentioned before, I always thought I was on the older side, guess not!  :D
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

I started on the C64 Xmas of 82. My Father wouldn't buy any games for it but instead purchased a book with codes for 3 games for my siblings and I to program. First game we typed in was called Balloon. Took us about 3 or 4 days plus another day to fine the typos.

My favourite C64 games were Boulder Dash, Prince of Persia, IK+ and Impossible Mission and I've been playing computer games ever since

It's good to hear about other gamers similar ages or older than myself.

For the record, I'm about to ding level 42!

• SilverfootSilverfoot Member UncommonPosts: 12
    61 in June, gaming all my life.................
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Like a lot of other fogeys in this this thread I also got my start with a C64, although I originally bought it mainly to do word processing with. What a sea change that was over using a typewriter! And I do give myself credit for being a bit visionary on this one.

My first computer was an 80386 with perhaps something like 16mb of ram and a 120mb hard drive? What I remember more is that I paid close to $4,000 for that machine. That was a major purchase for me at that age. But I was also becoming hooked on electronic gaming by then, and I just wrote it off as fun money.

While I did do some fooling around with BBS's, I was late to get on the internet. I remember my thinking was "when I've read every book in the library, then I'll look into it". Obviously I was being extremely myopic and stupid here.

Anyway, I'm still a hard core computer gamer, and I don't see that changing even as grim death approaches. I'm, err, still under 60. But that dreadful number doesn't seem so far off anymore - time flies.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by shohen
    40 years old here, gaming since I was a kid in the 70s! Currenlty loving Archeage :) As a few people mentioned before, I always thought I was on the older side, guess not!  :D

One of the first things people made with computers was computer games. :-)  I am in my mid 40s, and I fully expect to be gaming into my 60s and well after.

Started with one of those wire and spring "computer" kits.  Luckily my dad brought home a TI-99 4/a home computer and I was able to start messing around and playing games.  Was on the internet as soon as it was available in my area, though it was a bit different.  More gaudy if you can believe it.  One of my first internet jobs was writing a website warning against a Neo-Nazi Conspiracy in America.  I don't miss the very early days of home computers, but I do miss being able to type up something in HTML that a well read child could come up with in Word or WordPerfect and being treated like I was a Wizard.  Bioshock Infinite was really cool too though. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I am a youngster, only 46

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DeeJay612DeeJay612 Member Posts: 58
    And here I thought chiming in at 35 would mean I'm an old head. It's good to know you guys are out there gaming and enjoying yourself. My PC gaming started with Doom, Duke Nukem, Diablo etc... My MMO include CoX, WoW, TSW, SWTOR, CO, LOTRO, NWN, DCUO, EQ2 and maybe even I few more I'm not recalling.. Gamer for life here.

MMORPG played in order played: Sims Online, WoW, CoX, EQ2, LinksRealm, LOTRO,TOR...and counting