Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This MMO Doesn't Have Much Re-playability, Not The Type Of MMO You Play for 2-5 Years!

124»

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I beat ESO about a week ago after having gotten to VR1. After that I immediately unsubbed as I didn't find any good reason to continue playing.

Continuous VR quest grind? Heck NO. HELLS NO. I have no idea how people tolerated more of the quest grind.

Dungeons? I did every single one in my faction and have no desire to repeat them (by the 5th dungeon the map layout becomes redundant), with or without a new baloney story.

PVP? Meh, not my type of thing.

Craglorn? That's the only thing I might be interested in, but it's not nearly enough to coerce me to level to VR12.

It's a shame really, because I really liked shaping my character. Now that Bosmer NB will probably never explore Tamriel again.

The only thing worth playing was the main quest- and even then, it was still not as good as other Elder Scrolls games. I could not believe that no actual Elder Scroll was part of the story.

And that damned ZONE design. It really ruined everything. How could they design the game in such a way that you can't explore all of Tamriel freely? How could they not notice this was too much of an on-rails experience? This is their biggest blunder, by far.

So yeah, unless I hear the Thieves guild / Dark brotherhood stuff is truly EPIC, I ain't coming back. For the record, I wanted to love the game.

• Peer_GyntPeer_Gynt Member UncommonPosts: 79
    [mod edit]

Far be it from me to tell you what personal opinions you are allowed to hold about ESO, or anything else, but I have to admit my mind boggles at the sheer level of hostility you seem to hold towards this game. If something as trivial as a role playing game can cause you such deeply injured feelings, I speculate that perhaps you severely need to reevaluate your life priorities. Just a friendly piece of advice. Life's too short to waste it agonizing over something as trivial as a piece of leisure activity.

As to the replay value of ESO, I'd have to say that mileage will definitely vary. I personally don't see it as a title I'll be playing for years on end. However that seems to be the current trend in every MMO launched in the past few years. It's noting unique to this particular title.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Everything on the Internet has processional haters/trolls. I don't really get it either, but you see the same thing on YouTube where people post and talk crap about videos for bands they hate, and I just wonder why they waste time watching the video in the first place.

It reminds me of the line in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back about sad movie buffs downloading scripts and posting about movies and actors they claim to despise yet can't stop discussing.
  • Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

Reality check:

Those who were really looking for ELDER SCROLLS on-line are probably very disappointed in the game and have cancelled their subscriptions.  Those who were looking for DAoC-II are probably thrilled.

Those who were expecting Skyrim on-line were foolish, given the lead designers are who they are, and have most likely cancelled their subscriptions.  Those who were expecting zerg-Vs-Zerg PvP are probably thrilled.

Those who like BioWare-style rigid-on-rails role playing are probably delighted with the brainless PvE.  Those who like Bethesda-style freefrom role playing and thoughtful PvE are probably pissed off that the game was even misleadingly marketed as Elder Scrolls... and have probably cancelled their subscriptions.

Those who like open-world PvP are probably upset at the shortcomings of the Cyrodil PvP system and have likely cancelled their subscriptions.  Those who like dueling and small group PvP are probably upset at the shortcomings of the Cyrodil PvP system and have probably cancelled their subscriptions.

What is baffling to me is that organizations like Gamasutra and even big game companies like Blizzard invest a lot of time in analyzing the demographics of their marketplace.  The percentage of players who are primarily PvPers is very small.  The percentage of strict PvPers in combination with other players who happen to like PvP in addition to their PvE (I'm one of them) is larger, but still only around 15%.

Break that demographic into smaller chunks, eliminating those players who only like small scale PvP or only like open world PvP and you have to ask yourself:

"What lamebrain management team deliberately targeted only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the gaming market?"

The game could have been -- SHOULD have been -- so much more than it is.  That is reality.

Calling people "haters" simply demonstrates your own lack of openmindedness.  The game isn't what it should be and giving ZoS a pass isn't going to make it any better.  Bitching about it isn't going to make it any better, either, so -- as I told another poster in a different thread -- just vote with your wallet, either for or against the game.  ZoS will get a clue eventually.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Reality check:

Those who were really looking for ELDER SCROLLS on-line are probably very disappointed in the game and have cancelled their subscriptions.  Those who were looking for DAoC-II are probably thrilled.

Those who were expecting Skyrim on-line were foolish, given the lead designers are who they are, and have most likely cancelled their subscriptions.  Those who were expecting zerg-Vs-Zerg PvP are probably thrilled.

Those who like BioWare-style rigid-on-rails role playing are probably delighted with the brainless PvE.  Those who like Bethesda-style freefrom role playing and thoughtful PvE are probably pissed off that the game was even misleadingly marketed as Elder Scrolls... and have probably cancelled their subscriptions.

Those who like open-world PvP are probably upset at the shortcomings of the Cyrodil PvP system and have likely cancelled their subscriptions.  Those who like dueling and small group PvP are probably upset at the shortcomings of the Cyrodil PvP system and have probably cancelled their subscriptions.

What is baffling to me is that organizations like Gamasutra and even big game companies like Blizzard invest a lot of time in analyzing the demographics of their marketplace.  The percentage of players who are primarily PvPers is very small.  The percentage of strict PvPers in combination with other players who happen to like PvP in addition to their PvE (I'm one of them) is larger, but still only around 15%.

Break that demographic into smaller chunks, eliminating those players who only like small scale PvP or only like open world PvP and you have to ask yourself:

"What lamebrain management team deliberately targeted only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the gaming market?"

The game could have been -- SHOULD have been -- so much more than it is.  That is reality.

Calling people "haters" simply demonstrates your own lack of openmindedness.  The game isn't what it should be and giving ZoS a pass isn't going to make it any better.  Bitching about it isn't going to make it any better, either, so -- as I told another poster in a different thread -- just vote with your wallet, either for or against the game.  ZoS will get a clue eventually.

Was expecting ESO to feel like a ES game. Zenimax has actually pulled it off. Yes the game has some mmo like issue's, but as said I am a very experianced gamer.

I am glad it wasn't a Skyrim online while I love Skyrim it would make on hell of a boring online game if we just placed people into it's world.

I am also glad this game isn't on rails as some people seem to pretend else I would have stopped playing most likely already in beta, but beta showed me a ES game, which is the reason why I bought the game 3 day head start and still am enjoying the game, highest character 23 now. Becdause I play the game like I play ES games.

I just wished people had a more open mind, had more gaming experiance and provided some meaningfull constructive critizism.

I would not consider those who are disliking the game to be haters. I just don't understand if people feel this way about a game why spend even a second on it. I know plenty of games I dislike but it's really a waist of time to let others know aslong I know others might enjoy those games. I am too openminded for that and to be clear just because I feel this way doesn't mean others have to feel the same.

• velexievelexie Member Posts: 28
    Perhaps, just perhaps there is a reason why someone would spend time to post a wall of text. Games not up to snuff possibly?
  • wuhsin88wuhsin88 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by velexie
    Perhaps, just perhaps there is a reason why someone would spend time to post a wall of text. Games not up to snuff possibly?

It really isn't. 

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Reality check:

1.  Was expecting ESO to feel like a ES game. Zenimax has actually pulled it off. Yes the game has some mmo like issue's, but as said I am a very experianced gamer.

2. I am glad it wasn't a Skyrim online while I love Skyrim it would make on hell of a boring online game if we just placed people into it's world.

3. I am also glad this game isn't on rails as some people seem to pretend else I would have stopped playing most likely already in beta, but beta showed me a ES game, which is the reason why I bought the game 3 day head start and still am enjoying the game, highest character 23 now. Becdause I play the game like I play ES games.

4. I just wished people had a more open mind, had more gaming experiance and provided some meaningfull constructive critizism.

5. I would not consider those who are disliking the game to be haters. I just don't understand if people feel this way about a game why spend even a second on it. I know plenty of games I dislike but it's really a waist of time to let others know aslong I know others might enjoy those games. I am too openminded for that and to be clear just because I feel this way doesn't mean others have to feel the same.

1. I'm an experienced gamer too. Experienced enough to know that most core features in Elder Scrolls games are missing in The Elder Scrolls Online. You cannot pickpocket, brew poison with alchemy, shoot an arrow far as you can see, use alteration magic, get arrested, and a whole laundry list of other things that you could do in traditional TES games. 

2. That is your opinion. There were already tons of medieval/fantasy theme park MMO's, why did ESO have to go in that direction? Fans of The Elder Scrolls series will buy this game with expectations of it having the same core features of other TES games, and be sorely disappointed. 

3. So you're glad that it's not an open world RPG like Skyrim, but also glad that it's not on rails? You're just contradicting yourself now. 

4. I am open minded. Open minded enough to improve my spelling to the point where I can be taken seriously on forums. I also have gaming experience, I beat the first three Mario games on the original Nintendo console, I was a famous map maker on Starcraft, and was so good at Guild Wars 1 that people would just leave when they saw me on the opposite team in the PVP arena.  I've provided a ton of meaningful constructive criticism, but it's all been mod edited to be more sugar coated or just outright deleted. I was banned for criticizing this game, and had to appeal to get that ban lifted today. 

5. If you like the game so much, why spend a second posting on this forum? Why aren't you in the game raiding, decorating your house, fighting in the team PVP arena, or completing the dark brotherhood quests? Oh wait, probably because there are none of those things in the game, and it can't really hold your attention span that long because it is a boring lackluster theme park on rails that uses the same engine as the ToRtanic did, is completely and utterly taken over by bots that fly and run beneath the ground, and has all the trappings of a f2p game including horses that are 40x more expensive than in any previous TES game for the sake of luring you into spending a little more on that collector's edition so you can play a race which has always been included for the base game price before. You might can criticize us critics for wasting our time criticizing the game, but you are wasting time criticizing us for criticizing the game, so isn't that a little hypocritical? I say this game is a waste of money, which is why I am being charitable and taking time out of my day to inform my fellow consumers about the many game breaking flaws of ESO.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Hmm.. I have four characters between levels 16 and 21.  Seems like there's enough replayability for me.  At this rate, I may get them to 50 at the one year mark.  I'd say it has some sustainability.  I just don't play 8 hours a day and burn myself out like other people do.
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Hmm.. I have four characters between levels 16 and 21.  Seems like there's enough replayability for me.  At this rate, I may get them to 50 at the one year mark.  I'd say it has some sustainability.  I just don't play 8 hours a day and burn myself out like other people do.

Had you stuck with one character, you'd be at 50 now. Padding the game time by spreading it across four alts doesn't really excuse its lack of end-game or basic TES features that would make replaying it more interesting, like a justice system. Also, there are only three factions, so there's only three alts worth of content. Considering it would take two months to raise one to 50 at YOUR pace, this game has six months of play value if you really take your time. However, much of that play time is going to be spent doing quests you already did on another alt, because of how the game is designed. Basically, unless you REALLY like the PVP, this game will get old. The devs could still release some huge expansion and prove me wrong, but I don't see that happening until like a year or two from now, and expect it to be mediocre at best when it does.

Originally posted by wuhsin88

1. I'm an experienced gamer too. Experienced enough to know that most core features in Elder Scrolls games are missing in The Elder Scrolls Online. You cannot pickpocket, brew poison with alchemy, shoot an arrow far as you can see, use alteration magic, get arrested, and a whole laundry list of other things that you could do in traditional TES games. 

2. That is your opinion. There were already tons of medieval/fantasy theme park MMO's, why did ESO have to go in that direction? Fans of The Elder Scrolls series will buy this game with expectations of it having the same core features of other TES games, and be sorely disappointed. 

3. So you're glad that it's not an open world RPG like Skyrim, but also glad that it's not on rails? You're just contradicting yourself now. 

4. I am open minded. Open minded enough to improve my spelling to the point where I can be taken seriously on forums. I also have gaming experience, I beat the first three Mario games on the original Nintendo console, I was a famous map maker on Starcraft, and was so good at Guild Wars 1 that people would just leave when they saw me on the opposite team in the PVP arena.  I've provided a ton of meaningful constructive criticism, but it's all been mod edited to be more sugar coated or just outright deleted. I was banned for criticizing this game, and had to appeal to get that ban lifted today. 

5. If you like the game so much, why spend a second posting on this forum? Why aren't you in the game raiding, decorating your house, fighting in the team PVP arena, or completing the dark brotherhood quests? Oh wait, probably because there are none of those things in the game, and it can't really hold your attention span that long because it is a boring lackluster theme park on rails that uses the same engine as the ToRtanic did, is completely and utterly taken over by bots that fly and run beneath the ground, and has all the trappings of a f2p game including horses that are 40x more expensive than in any previous TES game for the sake of luring you into spending a little more on that collector's edition so you can play a race which has always been included for the base game price before. You might can criticize us critics for wasting our time criticizing the game, but you are wasting time criticizing us for criticizing the game, so isn't that a little hypocritical? I say this game is a waste of money, which is why I am being charitable and taking time out of my day to inform my fellow consumers about the many game breaking flaws of ESO.

1. As said in another topic I could make a list of what I would have wanted in a ES MMORPG but I am the type of gamer that play's what is given which I can or can not like.
    2. You seem to be focussed on want have feature's. I am focussed on what a game delivers. And if there are so many medevil/fantasy games don't you think I would be playing them if they are so alike as you seem to pretend. Seems most didn't hold me for long or not at all. ESO does. 
    3. Never said anything about Skyrims open world, just said I am glad it aint Skyrim Online.
    4. I have no issue with you not liking the game but I dislike people who twist my words into things never meant.
    5. Silly response maybe it's because you do not know me but some people might have to do things in real life you know work, family, friends, sports. Posting on forums I can do from everywhere. It really shows that you aren't as openminded as you seem to think. I am just sorry you don't seem to have a game to enjoy so you need to waist your time on a game you find lackluster. I am so glad I do not spend time on games I dislike.

1. As said in another topic I could make a list of what I would have wanted in a ES MMORPG but I am the type of gamer that play's what is given which I can or can not like.
    2. You seem to be focussed on want have feature's. I am focussed on what a game delivers. And if there are so many medevil/fantasy games don't you think I would be playing them if they are so alike as you seem to pretend. Seems most didn't hold me for long or not at all. ESO does. 
    3. Never said anything about Skyrims open world, just said I am glad it aint Skyrim Online.
    4. I have no issue with you not liking the game but I dislike people who twist my words into things never meant.
    5. Silly response maybe it's because you do not know me but some people might have to do things in real life you know work, family, friends, sports. Posting on forums I can do from everywhere. It really shows that you aren't as openminded as you seem to think. I am just sorry you don't seem to have a game to enjoy so you need to waist your time on a game you find lackluster. I am so glad I do not spend time on games I dislike.

Does anyone think this guy has any valid points I haven't already refuted or am I done with him?

Does anyone think this guy has any valid points I haven't already refuted or am I done with him?

Seriously....... you need other people to tell you if your done with me? Are you that inconfindent?

Seriously....... you need other people to tell you if your done with me? Are you that inconfindent?

More like overconfident. Unless someone else on here still takes your posts seriously, I feel no need to further refute your arguments in favor of this travesty of a game. 

I translated your post for you:

1. "Lets play this game because it is a game and we are gamers!"

2. "We don't need those silly features that are staples of the entire TES series! We have questing and PVP! And Veteran Ranks! You need to focus on what the game has instead of what it doesn't, because there are fewer things to list that way!"

3. "I didn't say that I'm glad it's not an open world RPG, I just said I'm glad it's not like Skyrim, which is an open world RPG!"

4. "Quit putting words in my mouth!"

5. "Hurrdurr I has a life and I'm only going to play this game an hour or two anyway. You need to be more open minded like me and I pity you because I am superior because I don't waste time on forums criticizing things like you do!"

Sorry OP for slightly derailing your topic.

As for on-topic since I had enough of the useless discussion above.

Don't think ESO is the type of game that will hold me 2 to 5 years, unless a MMORPG is a sandbox which ESO is not I don't look that far ahead.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If they were able to continually expand Cyrodiil, bigger and bigger, and if they were able to dump loads of skills lines on me every 6 months, I could see a couple years. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

To OP..

Apparently the newer generation of gamers after 2004, don't play any mmorpgs longer thant 6 months now. We all just hop onto the next big thing, this isn't anything new that we don't already know about.

If you ask the majority, I believe WoW is the only mmo players have been playing consistently for 2 to 5 years and possibly everquest 1 and 2 and Eve as well.

If any other mmo, that it is definitely a smaller fraction of gamers.