Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: ESO Hate

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

"The Elder Scrolls Online sucks, it does not live up to its hype, it’s not an Elder Scrolls game, PvE is lack luster, someone stole my chest, end game is boring, ESO needs (insert common feature here)." These are just a few of the common complaints that the MMO community has been spouting. Making comparisons to games to try and show off the flaws of ESO. Yes, ESO has flaws, not a game in this world is flawless. In this week’s column I’m going to take a look at the ESO / MMO community and try and figure out why there is so much hate towards such a fantastic (in my eyes) game.

Read more of Ryan Getchell's Elder Scrolls Online: ESO Hate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    What about doing a write up on how a lot of us love the game how about that,? Instead of trying to get more trolls on this forum?? Sigh/
  • beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    I think the major issue is that people have high expectations when a game wants box + subscription. It does not matter that games like wow had problems when they were released, this game is not competing with the vanilla wow that had problems, it's competing with the polished wow of today. When you release a game in 2014 with issues and less features then Other games and want a premium price, we have a problem. If you want premium price for your product, deliever premium service.

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

ESO must be the worst MMO evan because I see people everywhere in game. Towns are full of them and even in the remotest places you always see some.

Ok seriously, there are bugs and flaws but which MMO doesn't? While hating a video game is plain weird anyway but seeing the same names in every thread bashing and trolling ESO is just stupid.

• GarbracGarbrac Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by beej1986
    I think the major issue is that people have high expectations when a game wants box + subscription. It does not matter that games like wow had problems when they were released, this game is not competing with the vanilla wow that had problems, it's competing with the polished wow of today. When you release a game in 2014 with issues and less features then Other games and want a premium price, we have a problem. If you want premium price for your product, deliever premium service.

Define Premium service? 100% Up time with no issues? that's not possible. Features and Mechanics taken directly from other games? Premium Service is in the eye of the beholder it's different for everyone. Personally I think ESO has been doing a fantastic job, and has delivered a premium service. Sure there are bugs and glitches. But no game in the world will be perfect. Doesn't matter what day and age we live in.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Awesome post.

Couldn´t agree more.

Kudos! :)

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

"STOP POINTING OUT FLAWS IN A FLAWED GAME"

- mmorpg.com

Seriously, though, they tried to make something old-school, succeeded on some levels, and then shot themselves in the foot with VR design.

• SuperchieftianSuperchieftian Member Posts: 88
    First paragraph sums up the game exactly.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

level 45...and done most dungeons (using group tool sucessfully), and done some pvp dungeons already- most of you playing know that is quaite an achivement!

ive been having fun, the stories are solid. and found nice purples along the way...

although iam not sure how the new endgame content will effect my play style and attention-ill def keep ESO around as opposed to other 'fantasy' mmos...

oh ive acomplished all this w/o an AH...or crafting.

my only take on this game the further ive gone into it...it remids me more of warhammer online..and we all know how that turned out.

but maybe gamers are ready now for a warhammer 2.0!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by beej1986

Winner.

People are down on ESO, because it is not a great ES game, nor a great MMO, and yet was released will a ton of bugs, dupes and bad design choices.

All for $60 +$15/mo + cash shop.

Had this been some F2P crap from Cryptic ala NW, people would have complained, but not cared that much,

But this was Elder Scrolls.

They used the IP to generate hype and sell boxes, but higher expectations come when you use a well known/loved IP.

And they have failed to meet the expectations of many or most (heard of TOR? Sound familiar?).

And if I might quote Angry Joe, "(They) done F****d it up!"

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    For me it was not hate, I really enjoyed the game. I didnt like the direction a few things went. To much phasing made teaming a pain. I play with my wife and about 25% of the time she was this little arrow I could follow but not help in any way. Then instanced parts of the game you could not work together on because ZM wanted you to feel epic by doing it solo. Not really why I play and took me out of the fun by having to ask my wife again and again, can you see me? Do you see this node? Guess thats phased just for me =- If I wanted to play a solo game I would have played Morrowind again. If they change this... I just may buy the game. Im a huge TES fan its just that I dont play MMOs to solo.

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I think this was pretty much spot on. Before ESO was released, a lot of its features was what a lot of people asked for, then it got released and people started whining.

It has flaws everyone knows that, for me the biggest thing (and a very central problem) is the phasing. It really make it hard to play casually with friends. The quest grind for veteran ranks (Im not there yet) seems like a bad idea as well, you should obviously be able to level through PvP.

But even though it has obvious flaws, I'm having more fun then I had in an MMO in years.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by ultrastoat

"STOP POINTING OUT FLAWS IN A FLAWED GAME"

- mmorpg.com

Seriously, though, they tried to make something old-school, succeeded on some levels, and then shot themselves in the foot with VR design.

but grinding is old school...would you rather want pvp gear? lol

why all the hate for ESO ..plain and simple..its a "new" mmorpg every new mmorpg gets shot down by trolls pointing out flaws

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Shame it is no longer possible to express an honest opinion of any new game without being labelled a fanboy or hater. Some posts might actually reflect the authors view.
  • LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I'm not an ESO hater. I have only ever stated that the game is not worth the price of admission. You can get what it is offering elsewhere for much less money. If you are into the Elder Scrolls series as opposed to MMOs, I doubt many people are going to feel like the game adds anything to the lore of that universe.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Hate derives from love gone bad. Most people who feel strongly about ESO are experienced in the game.  Those jaded mmorpg veterans or distraught Skyrim fans (who never played an mmorpg before) aren't the large segment of people who feel a way about ESO.

I didn't buy and subscribe to ESO out of hate obviously. I cancelled due to growing "hate" because of things being wrong from beta all the way to the first billable month of launch.

When people feel like sites like mmorpg.com sugar coat real issues then turn around and put out these clearly PR firm pushed articles THAT'S what causes the additional hate. When people feel they don't have a voice they try to yell louder and more frequently.

How about stop trivializing things that are wrong with ESO "oh there are few bugs here and there but overall it's a great experience". No the fuck it's not, it's a great experience that is being ruined by dumb things that shouldn't last that long at an in game level. Server issues? Understandable. Optimization issues, understandable.  Gold selling spam, understandable.  These things take time.  World bosses not spawning correctly for weeks at a time, NOT acceptable.  Broken quests lasting weeks at a time, NOT ACCEPTABLE. Buggy, not working properly Guild AH, NOT ACCEPTABLE.  I'm not even going to get into the falling into the sky bug that was reported day one in BETA.

P.S. The whole "no game is perfect" is a lousy argument.  No one expects games to be "perfect", what they do expect is a level of urgency and professionalism from a company charging premium price for the box AND a subscription.  Is it not 2014? Who cares how buggy any past game was during their launch.  Is the industry not supposed to learn from mistakes or do we repeat them over and over again and refer to the last as a good reason to accept the next?

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I think when a game company releases a title based on a hugely popular IP and charges $60 plus a sub fee AND has a cash shop, players should expect a little more.  The growing trend to charge in every fashion possible and then release a buggy mess to be patched later is what is hurting the game industry. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    This is a microcosm of the real world.  People always want to focus on the negative.  You don't get many players that like the game to come on websites to defend a game, because simply they're busy playing.  I usually stop by before and after I'm logging in/out.  I hope that someday people will learn, if you focus on the positives in life, it makes life a lot better.
  • BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    For me it was not hate, I really enjoyed the game. I didnt like the direction a few things went. To much phasing made teaming a pain. I play with my wife and about 25% of the time she was this little arrow I could follow but not help in any way. Then instanced parts of the game you could not work together on because ZM wanted you to feel epic by doing it solo. Not really why I play and took me out of the fun by having to ask my wife again and again, can you see me? Do you see this node? Guess thats phased just for me =- If I wanted to play a solo game I would have played Morrowind again. If they change this... I just may buy the game. Im a huge TES fan its just that I dont play MMOs to solo.

This!! ^

ESO is a SP game, only time you have the feeling of an MMO is in public dungeons together with The Bot Brothers.

"I once was an adventurer like you, but then I got an Arrow above my head!"

----

----

• RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Talonsin

I think when a game company releases a title based on a hugely popular IP and charges $60 plus a sub fee AND has a cash shop, players should expect a little more.  The growing trend to charge in every fashion possible and then release a buggy mess to be patched later is what is hurting the game industry. 

I realize that it is entirely impossible for the modern day video game to be released complete bug-free, I thought about what if we purchased other things in our lives and held them to the same low standard that we hold MMORPGs these days.

Can you imagine buying a washing machine that simply crashed and failed to wash your load of clothes every other load?

How about buying a kitchen range where that one burner just would not heat up most of the time you turned it on?

How about a new computer that simply won't boot up randomly when you sit down?

My point is other items (even though they cost us more per item) are held to a far higher standard. The computer that won't boot up randomly would be immediately taken back to the store or call customer service. The kitchen range? call the company's support immediately and they'd dispatch someone to repair it. So and so forth.

An MMORPG though? we get told that it's just the way it has to be. Expect bugs. Pay your sub like a good little boy and just endure the bugs.

Uh, no. We shouldn't have to. Other software companies get raked over the coals when they release something with a bug. Look at Microsoft - literally destroyed every time they release an even release number of Windows. We need to stop letting MMORPG devs release Windows Vista and accepting it - we need to "send it back and refuse to buy" until it's put back in the oven and released in a more "ready for release" Windows 7 state.

MMORPGs though? "feed me content and better gear and we'll just overlook a mountain of lazy, poor quality control."

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

No, no, no. Sorry. The $60 game is hurting the gaming industry. Even Cliffy B says that. Everything in this industry is sky rocketing, budgets, salaries, graphics, animations, yet they're still charging $60. How long has it been at that price? Shoot, I think that even in the 90s games were selling for $50 bucks!!!!! What's that with inflation? Math people? Please? Damn, it's got to be at least $75. 

Reality, the cost of game ownership has actually gotten cheaper over time. Suuuuure, there are a couple titles selling millions of copies but by-and-large being a game company these days is less profitable (if profitable at all). 

Yes, ESO too a hugely popular IP and turned it into a hybrid of both. The world is much larger than even Skyrim. There is more time investment than Skyrim. There is more game than Skyrim. So if you're getting MORE, then why is the expectation that you should still pay the same $60. Oh, and still be held accountable for creating content on an ongoing basis, etc. I think this is part of the entitlement spoken about in the article, too. It doesn't just apply to this game, though, it's all games. Crap, why is COD (5 hour campaign) the same price as Skyrim or ESO? It's because we've got it so freakin' good! Believe that!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• pouncespounces Member Posts: 1

It isn't hate to point out flaws. Asking for a developer to finish the game before releasing it isn't hating on a game. Oh, it has flaws but its alright. No. It has flaws. BASIC flaws. The kind of flaws that ruin a game. This is EXACTLY like SWTOR. A fantastic game and IP ruined by shoddy development, poor management, and above all us, money grabbing suits who don't care if the game is buggy because people will give them money.

This game is not premium quality, its freemium quality. That is why there's all this negativity towards it, regardless of how fun it is. Just like SWTOR it is being held back and will eventually fall to the wayside because of how the game is being handled. When the subs stop rolling in, they'll throw the F2P announcement up and stick with microtransactions. It isn't hate speaking, its history. 

If companies cannot be bothered to deliver quality, then why should we be expected to pay top dollar? Skyrim is a superior game, with superior gameplay, immersion and story. 

TL;DR

Skyrim = Scary Movie

ESO = Scary Movie 5

• RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

No, no, no. Sorry. The $60 game is hurting the gaming industry. Even Cliffy B says that. Everything in this industry is sky rocketing, budgets, salaries, graphics, animations, yet they're still charging $60. How long has it been at that price? Shoot, I think that even in the 90s games were selling for $50 bucks!!!!! What's that with inflation? Math people? Please? Damn, it's got to be at least $75. 

Reality, the cost of game ownership has actually gotten cheaper over time. Suuuuure, there are a couple titles selling millions of copies but by-and-large being a game company these days is less profitable (if profitable at all). 

Yes, ESO too a hugely popular IP and turned it into a hybrid of both. The world is much larger than even Skyrim. There is more time investment than Skyrim. There is more game than Skyrim. So if you're getting MORE, then why is the expectation that you should still pay the same $60. Oh, and still be held accountable for creating content on an ongoing basis, etc. I think this is part of the entitlement spoken about in the article, too. It doesn't just apply to this game, though, it's all games. Crap, why is COD (5 hour campaign) the same price as Skyrim or ESO? It's because we've got it so freakin' good! Believe that!

If they cannot make a $60 box price work - then perhaps they should stop making million dollar cinematics that have absolutely nothing graphically in common with the game they are pushing.

I wonder how much better ESO could have been if they had just made their "awesome cinematics" from in-game footage and put those dollars in the game.

I'll say the same for TOR - put out several high quality cinematics that completely misrepresented what the classes (and graphics) in the game were capable of doing.

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Every time I see a column or a post like this, I'm left to scratch my head and wonder what people are thinking.  Here is a list of things you can do in ESO:

Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing, Questing and Cyrodiil PvP.

If you're not really into pvp, guess what that leaves?  There have been a lot of threads popping up recently, and I think that a significant group of people are starting to become sick of meaningless quest grinders.

On top of that, questing is phased, sectioned and limited so completely that you are flat out  discouraged by game mechanics from playing with other players.  To suggest that this game makes any attempt to be "old school" or to return focus on socialization, or to suggest that this game is hard (really?) in any way and the reason we don't like it is because we're too used to having our hand held to understand it?  Absolutely bizarre.

When you throw all of the bugs, bots, deplorable customer service, cash grab collector's edition, complete with pay-for-advantage mount on top of it, then sprinkle a little bit of "existing IP with specific expectations" on top of it, and you can't hardly be surprised by the reception.

ESO appeals to two types of players.  The solo quest grinder and the DAoC RvR fanatic.  ESO has absolutely NOTHING to offer anyone else.  Even the ENDGAME is questing. 

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    You can't release a single player game with slight and buggy co op for $60 + sub + cash shop and wonder why people are upset. It's the worst Elder Scrolls game to date, uses dated task spam methods for levelling, and calls itself an mmorpg yet makes grouping so frustrating via phasing that you are better off playing solo. So yea, don't blame the consumer when they don't want to pay for garbage.
  • falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    So glad me and my girlfriend are not the only ones. We like the setting and the crafting. But we want to do the quests and adventures together. Not solo. When due to a glitch one finished the quest and the other not. Its done. We feel so sad it sometimes indeed feels ZM favors playing solo above playing together :(
    For the rest. We would like a faction wide ah, but its not a big thing, if want something we try ask guildies or in zone.  We do play wow together and we are happy eso has not the same feeling. Would be boring :)