Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointment in gaming

slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

Ever have the feeling of disappointment after you buy the game and believe the hype ?.

well for me that feeling has hit me a couple times this year and will probably continue 

Infamous Second Son-first offender good game overall but really expected more from the story and longer gameplay 10-12hrs to beat hardly qualifies being worth $60 but i'm probably alone on this.

next offender Elder Scrolls Online bought it almost two weeks ago and after beta its still feels disappointing being a generic mmo with an Elder Scrolls paint job spent $80 bucks to get the extras.

Bound by Flame looks decent but i read mixed opinions of this one. but i have a feeling i may get a little fun out of this but it may end up to be linear and then become very dull so i may wait for a after release review.

preordered Wolfenstein the new order i suspect decent game overall but most likely short and if it doesn't go over well it just won't feel like its worth $60 bucks.

read the article about Destiny so again mixed opinions 

why is it there are games few and far between that can go the extra mile with at least time played and worth the money ?

I remember when games would go for 60hrs+ for RPG games and other genres of games. now its like they just wanna pump the games out faster and faster without anything to make it feel like its worth the money and time to play.

look back at old systems and games everything i played felt like months to beat or even weeks nowadays i'm lucky if i game takes me 5 days to a week to finish. 

What is every one think of games these days and i mean the over hyped games you've bought ?.

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Correction. It should be disappointed in mmo gaming because there is a slew of great non mmo games coming our way in 2014.
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

yeah your probably right but the lack of options kinda sucks.

either buy them for $60 and find out if they suck or not

pay for redbox or gamefly 

problem with both redbox charges you a few bucks a day and if you keep it longer its more money over time

gamefly they charge you monthly its about $17 or so with tax and the wait time and shipping is almost a week before you actually get the damn thing then thats almost 7 days out of your 30 day sub gone.

i think i read something about a streaming rental service sony may do soon but god only knows how much that will cost and all. 

hell that should be included in the PSN+ if you pay yearly for it.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I've gotten extremely picky for the same reason. I just bought Endless Legend early access and quite happy with my purchase. I'll definitely get Watch Dogs and The Division as well but other than that. It will be a long while before something comes out I'm interested in. Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous being top picks.

Last year I only bought 2 games. I'm tired of throwing money at poor titles I'll only play once or twice

Just to mention a few titles that have been a complete waste of money

ESO

Batman Arkham Asylum

Bioshock

DayZ standalone

From Dust

Far Cry 2

The Hitman Series

Tropico 3

Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

There's no way I'll spend 60 bucks on any game. There's plenty of sites that sell keys legit, that'll give you a deal on any new game coming out.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I almost never buy games when they first come out anymore. I wait till I see reviews and then buy the ones that hold up to the "hype" that I think I'd like. I also buy a lot of them on steam sales. If they're really a great game they'll still be great a year or two from now and they'll also be $10
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    This problem is entirely self made I that there are endless videos out there for new games that allow you to see games as they really are. However some people are compulsive and in a way lazy, they but a game, then realise it doesn't suit them, and then blame the magical hype goblin. Example is Diablo ROS which is now great fun and very addictive - for those who enjoy that type of gameplay. Buying ROS and not liking it has nothing to do with hype as it us a high quality product, it is about not doing your research properly or understanding what you enjoy in a game.

So be patient and wait until you have seen eneough videos that you can make an informed decision and watch that hype goblin that you liked to blame for your stupidity vanish.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ThomasN7
    there is a slew of great non mmo games coming our way in 2014.

Like?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    This problem is entirely self made I that there are endless videos out there for new games that allow you to see games as they really are. However some people are compulsive and in a way lazy, they but a game, then realise it doesn't suit them, and then blame the magical hype goblin. Example is Diablo ROS which is now great fun and very addictive - for those who enjoy that type of gameplay. Buying ROS and not liking it has nothing to do with hype as it us a high quality product, it is about not doing your research properly or understanding what you enjoy in a game.

So be patient and wait until you have seen eneough videos that you can make an informed decision and watch that hype goblin that you liked to blame for your stupidity vanish.

No video is going to tell you how the game is for you. A good example is Bioshock. Great gameplay videos and story but plays like shit at least to me. A very sub par shooter as far as movement and combat goes. Couldn't see how the game would actually 'feel' to play.

At best, a gameplay video can either peak your interest or kill it. It doesn't prevent you from buying a title you will only touch once. If it can for you then great

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Since a few years ago i dont get disapoint with any game.

After following the dev of a game during about 2 years and then get disapoint for what the game was i learn a good lesson back in that time. It wasnt the game fault not even devs fault, it was my fault. My wipe was huge and i start imagine the game based in what i read and in the end was not what i imagine.

So nowadays, i resit to wipe myself and just try the games for what they are and just check if i like the game or not, its a simple process, normally i dont expect much about the games so no place for disapointement.

And its better this way, because sometimes i get amazed with a certain game  :)

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Wait for the themepark bandwagon to collapse.

I'm sure in a few years there will be some great mmorpg's that add true mmorpg's elements instead of singleplayer elements.

What I do is: never pre-order. Twitch potentially good games. Revisit golden games like skyrim, fallout, cs, baldurs gate or whatever you have missed/never tried.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by ThomasN7
    there is a slew of great non mmo games coming our way in 2014.

Like?

Mostly looking forward to Watchdogs.

Still continue to have small hopes on GTA-V pc release this fall.

Looking forward to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dragon Age Inquisition, Cyberpunk 2077,  Tom Clancy: The Division,  Dying Light,  Evolve?,  Mad Max some might not even make 2014 but more 2015. Still plenty to look forward to and sure I have forgotten to mention a few more.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by StonesDK

I've gotten extremely picky for the same reason. I just bought Endless Legend early access and quite happy with my purchase. I'll definitely get Watch Dogs and The Division as well but other than that. It will be a long while before something comes out I'm interested in. Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous being top picks.

Last year I only bought 2 games. I'm tired of throwing money at poor titles I'll only play once or twice

ESO

Batman Arkham Asylum

Bioshock

DayZ standalone

From Dust

Far Cry 2

The Hitman Series

Tropico 3

Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

There's no way I'll spend 60 bucks on any game. There's plenty of sites that sell keys legit, that'll give you a deal on any new game coming out.

Arkham Asylum and Reaper of Souls are really solid. The rest I agree with.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Dark Souls 2 came out on PC recently. Look into it, game that is definitely worth its price, as far as I'm concerned.
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Originally posted by StonesDK

ESO

Batman Arkham Asylum

Bioshock

DayZ standalone

From Dust

Far Cry 2

The Hitman Series

Tropico 3

Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls

Arkham Asylum and Reaper of Souls are really solid. The rest I agree with.

Reaper of Souls I bought at a time I was tired of playing Diablo. I thought it would renew me wanting to play it again, but it didn't. It probably is a solid title but it was still a waste for me and I should have knownbetter. Arkham Asylum should have stayed a console game. Any port that still tells you to spam X key during an action scene is not worth my time. It works on a console game. Its just a distraction on the PC. Wasn't a big fan of the "unlock" achievements either

• slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

well as it stands i got to 50 on ESO this past tuesday and just cancelled my account i figured i'd get a little bit of my money's worth and cut my losses.

i decided to go for it and just bought bound by flame since its on sale for $34 bucks from steam so next friday hoping this game is good.

and as for my console gaming i'm wondering if i just wasted money on a PS4 since its just sitting here gathering dust and most of the games i'm going to buy are multi platform games. and as it stands i'm picky about what i spend $60 bucks on.

i'm sure down the line i'll find some games that i feel are worth the money at some point but its not like the past systems i've owned had a strong lineup in the first year either.

reviews are mostly just opinion unless you play the game yourself far as i can tell. case in point all this hate for Diablo 3 w/Reaper of souls i've been playing it a lot lately enjoying the game again since the loot system change and all but it could just be me lol.

my main hope for picking up games for PC is the steam sale coming this summer & winter sale.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

About 90% of the people who complain that the new game they bought isn't as good as they thought it would be seems to have pre-ordered it or bought it the day it came out.

Try waiting a few months, then you will know a lot more about the game and a lot of the annoying bugs and other issues will be fixed.

Of course sometimes a game just wont work for you anyways but it would make things a lot easier.

*Sigh*, people are just in such a hurry nowadays.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by geel

Wait for the themepark bandwagon to collapse.

I'm sure in a few years there will be some great mmorpg's that add true mmorpg's elements instead of singleplayer elements.

What I do is: never pre-order. Twitch potentially good games. Revisit golden games like skyrim, fallout, cs, baldurs gate or whatever you have missed/never tried.

That is one of 2 possible trends, yes. The other is that almost all games will be constantly online but letting you only see a few players at times.

It is very possible that the multiplayer games will move more towards social and group content again, but it is not a given horse.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Why not play a great CRPG like Skyrim?  It has excellent replayability due to all the great mods out for it...and new ones being worked on as I type this like Cyrodiil(Oblivion mod) and the Morrowwind Mod.    I know people that have over a 1000hrs into Skyrim alone.   I have over 375hrs and will soon be adding a ton more - been building a mod of my own(rebuilding Winterhold).   Skyrim is the single best RPG I have ever played...ever, next to Mount and Blade: Warband.    You can easily get 500hrs out of this game with, Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthstone, and Falskaar all together.   
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    DayZ standalone is my only real regret. I think it was $30 or $40 but I logged maybe an hour in the game and decided I wasn't hardcore enough for it.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    If you think Bioshock and Arkham Asylum are bad games then I think your just not into games anymore
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

OP-

For me this is actually the golden age of gaming but you have to know where to look. 

Years ago I was stuck in the 'mainstream' mindset. if the game didnt have a large budget and plenty of exposure then I was not interested. Then I started discovering 'indie' games. Oh my fucking god, on average CONSIDERABLY better than mainstream games...at least..for me.

So with The cost of distrubution so low now with Steam my life is good with all these 'indie' titles

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Op, there's as many quality games that come out now as have ever done - but there's also a lot of junk comming out as well as high budget junk, so you really have to research and pick games you know you will enjoy.

Couple great buys for me recently were ikarugu on steam, age of wonders 3 and wildstar. They are out there but you need to be fussy :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The big budget console games are becoming these amazing open world, beautifully rendered playgrounds. Unfortunately, the context we are given (aka the storyline and characters), are stuck in the dark ages. Lot of brilliant game concepts and design, dipped in dogshit.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Foomerang

The big budget console games are becoming these amazing open world, beautifully rendered playgrounds. Unfortunately, the context we are given (aka the storyline and characters), are stuck in the dark ages. Lot of brilliant game concepts and design, dipped in dogshit.

Ironic because I want less story more open world and game mechanics.

The triple A games are an empty sandbox, so a huge world filed with nothing in it to interact with really isnt an 'open world' so much.

Never the less, I see AAA games as interactive movies and I am usually not interested.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Wow an wildstar were/are huge open worlds with great stories, but the problem is that many a modern player doesnt understand that withou story you just have pretty pixels. Same applies to 'mechanics'. Gameplay without a story is just a trough of mini games that you never engage with.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Teala
      I know people that have over a 1000hrs into Skyrim alone.  

I have 1,027 hours in Skyrim and still going strong.

As far as the original post, I've only ever believed "the hype" once for a game and that was for Aion.

I followed the game religiously and then when I played it I had my first gaming disappointment. I then adjusted my expectations and enjoyed myself for some time but ever since that time I approach games with low expectations and then if they surprise me I count it as a blessing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo