Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Wildstar will gather the hatred that ESO has?

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

I think the game is average at best. It's not worth bothering with and will probably die even before ESO goes belly up. It's just too boring and the while i was in Alpha/Beta the controls and fighting was just as terrible as ESO. Questing was as boring as in ESO.

----

It will go the same as with ESO once released. People will complain and whine. ESO is a much bigger target though because it has a legacy that is weighing heavy on it.

Controls and fighting animations in Wildstar are miles ahead of ESO. And while I agree that questing can get boring in both games, at least Wildstar has viable end-game to fall back on (many types of PVE and PVP), ESO is seriously lacking in that department.

Also, I wouldn't agree that the game is average, since it has so many content and features, which most of the games don't. But I would agree that some of them are uninspiring. Even if it is "average" as you say it, many average MMO's are doing OK (SWTOR, Neverwinter, even GW2), so I wouldn't worry too much about Wildstar going belly up.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I cant get excited for Wildstar, there's just nothing that I know about it that makes me want to buy it. The housing seems really cool but I'm not going to buy a game based on housing alone.

Exploration could be fun but since I'm currently playing ESO and it has great details and very beautiful graphics to my tastes, which fuels a lot my exploration drive there, it's hard to see Wildstar beating or equaling that with it's kinda simple graphics, I like the Wildstar art style, but all the things I've seen about it looks a bit simple, which could take a bit away from the exploration aspect.

Also, combat being one of the very core features, and I'm not fan of so heavy telegraphing it's a bit turn off for me. I've seen some PvP video and I was stunned by the amount of telegraphing in it, it was like watching 80's cocaine disco all kinds of colored "lights" going all around at all times like crazy, it certainly was too much for me. However, I could possibly get to the PvE content if the telegraphing can be toned down a bit there.

That being said, I have liked systems that I thought I would not like in the past, and I havent tried Wildstar so I might be positively surprised if I tried the game. I'm just not interested in it right now since I'm having good time in ESO, but I will most likely try it later this year after I'm done with the story and lore content of ESO (not going to VR grind, I'll play the stories of DFC and EHP on separate chars and most likely be done with it then).

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

There is no feedback from Wildstar players because we all are so into playing it that we do not bother coming to forums and troll about it :D

There is no revolution coming from any MMORPG ever and the only thing you can do is to make it alright to most of the ppl so you can earn money from it, right?

I play Wildstar in Beta for a long time and if I exclude all versions till last one (this weekend) I can say i am pretty much happy about bug fixes and improvements. Devs are always in the channels and they  "are listening" players. 

Cartoonish look can push back a lot of players but there is a lot to do in this game. From a casual to the full hard core player/raider there is plenty of things to do.  

The way how they made system to work from questing to full raiding and PvP is very very good. The whole combat system is pushing gear on the 2nd spot and skillz on the 1st spot. 

Quests are like in most of the other MMOs, most of the time boring but on the other hand there is so much different types of quests that it is alright at the end.

At the end I can say that Wildstar is a mix of most popular MMOs in past 10 years. It adds some new refreshing moments and a good mix of the best features from previous games.

60% of the game is WOW but that is also a good thing cause dont forget that the core of the team behind Wildstar are (my opinion), All Star Players from Blizzard and the ppl who brought all the best things WOW ever had. On the top of that you add few ppl that worked on Diablo 1 and 2 and Fallout..... you must give them a chance.

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

I think the game is average at best. It's not worth bothering with and will probably die even before ESO goes belly up. It's just too boring and the while i was in Alpha/Beta the controls and fighting was just as terrible as ESO. Questing was as boring as in ESO.

----

It will go the same as with ESO once released. People will complain and whine. ESO is a much bigger target though because it has a legacy that is weighing heavy on it.

Controls and fighting animations in Wildstar are miles ahead of ESO. And while I agree that questing can get boring in both games, at least Wildstar has viable end-game to fall back on (many types of PVE and PVP), ESO is seriously lacking in that department.

Also, I wouldn't agree that the game is average, since it has so many content and features, which most of the games don't. But I would agree that some of them are uninspiring. Even if it is "average" as you say it, many average MMO's are doing OK (SWTOR, Neverwinter, even GW2), so I wouldn't worry too much about Wildstar going belly up.

You have some good points there. I actually thought that Wildstar was trying a bit too hard to be a "GW2 in Space". With the jumping puzzles that became infuriating due to controls/camera and the settler features were stuff you built would simply disappear after 5 minutes and you can build it again.

It just felt as if it was nice conceptual attempts at being different but  failed in execution.

----

I also did not like the controls and the whole clunky feeling. Fighting and questing was not a smooth experience. It's just me, I like snappy and responsive controls. The movement lock on some skills was extremely aggrevating in a game that demands so much mobility.

----

I will keep following it past release and maybe trying it in the future. I just could not get excited about it right now.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

WildStar players aren't coming to these forums to generally offer feedback because they are talking to each other in a currently healthy fan community and with devs who are actively communicating in other places. In short, the tons of people talking about WildStar aren't doing it here. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Gremriel

Oh, it will get hate when it's released, but not because of issues that plagued ESO.

I suspect the hate will be more like: OMG, nerf bosses in instances, too hard!

+1!!

The other thing you forgot to mention is graphics issues. It's been all over the place. Adjusting the graphics to find that balance of graphics and frame rate was like brain surgery!! 

I work extensively with graphics hardware and I had a real tough time figuring out some of the crazy interactions in this game. In the end, it was basically just a matter of farting around with sliders and radio buttons until I found something that seemed to crap out a decent framerate on the other side. 

As far as bosses go, I doubt you'll see them nerf bosses. I think that they'll probably find their niche in REAL hardcore raiders. WoW will be left to more casual people (although they will be getting Mythic mode too which might combat this). 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

The Wildstar marketing weekend was the only beta I participated in, but it felt far more polished than ESO does three weeks after release.  ESO's problems won't be Wildstar's problems.

Marketing does seem to be an issue as many have pointed out.  The buzz seems to be lacking, but that can ramp up quickly just prior to release.  The open beta will be critical, because the last couple of AAA games (SWTOR, FFXIV, ESO) had huge IPs to draw from, and Wildstar has to stand on the strength of the game.  

Their timing does seem to be correct, just after the initial game time of ESO expires, and well before WoW's expansion. 

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Im sorry what same complaints from ESO affects WS gettig?

I dont even .... (o_O)

If anything WS is poised to grab all the fallout from that incomplete disappointment which should give it a decent boost in sales.

I see a few things which can hold WS back from its potential. Low marketing budget. Slow/Boring starter areas. And idiots who look at a color palette and think "OMG its WoW in space."

ALL of those have everything to do with ignorance. Specially the last one.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Of corse it will and they will also get the hated MMO hoppers that like to be toxic and move on. Within a few days of launch we will get the, "Im done the game now what??" threads. Also the "This game has to many bugs" "I got a refund and you should to" and any other list of dumb threads lol. What this is a newly launch MMO that is not running like a 10 year vet? I will be taking some time off to play this game but not till its been out a few weeks. =-)
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I thought it might at first, but it seems like not too many people are interested in it. I'm sure it will receive it's fair share of undeserved hate, same as ESO has. Same as every new release has.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

There isn't a lot of buzz because people know exactly what to expect - a decent themepark with telegraphs. A passable game, but nothing to get overly excited about.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I'm glad it hasn't had the hype of ESO or SWTOR.  THANK GOODNESS!  Personally, as my history here will identify, I love the game and can't wait, and not being on an over-crowded hype-train suites me perfectly.  Super-hype usually leads to a good degree of hate, but I'd argue ESO brought on a lot of extra hate by the mismanagement of their game.  No matter what, I don't see WildStar getting the same unless Carbine really starts to mess things up like ESO (arguably) has.  Honestly at the end of the day, you don't really know until the time comes.
  • coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272

I do t think it will get as much hate as ESO for a few reasons.  The I hate big corporation crowd will have no need to spew their hate so that one crowd (very large percentage of haters) gone.  The this is a great IP and they ruined it and are not following my vision of the ip crowd is also gone.  So that just leaves the I'm afraid it's going to take away players from my game crowd.  

I personally did not have Wildstar on my radar until I got into Beta last weekend.  I had a great time ran into very few bugs and started looking into this game.  I can now say I'm hooked and will be trading in my Xb1 eso for Wildstar.  I enjoyed ESO also it's a good game it's just there was something about Wildstar that hooked me.  

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

ESO has it's hatred warranted.  If Wildstar is just as terrible, it'll be hated just as much.

Nothing worse than wasting your money on crap that should NOT have been launched.  And then having the community accept it and tell me that I'm WRONG that I expect quests in the STARTER AREAS (i.e. the areas MOST tested by Beta Testers) to work at launch (gasp).  Guilds to work (gasp).  Be able to quest with others (not an arrow).  Be able to earn money and have FUN.  Falling through the ground, losing items, is not fun... period.

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    thus far it is fantastic and i'm extremely picky these days with MMO's. It's got everything i've been looking for and then some =D
  • nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31

I don't think wildstar is going to be as big as everyone said in the beginning.
    They just had a CM step down.
    Don't get me wrong .. it looks fun, and will defiantly find its place yes .. but a super star in the mmo industry .. naa

As for ESO
    As they said in "The Wolf of Wall Street"
    Any press is good press.
    It might be getting a lot of bad screaming press.. but its attracting attention non the less.
    I for one am having a good time in-game. I'm not rushing I'm enjoying the sites and sounds and lore
    but that is just imo
    I realize the game has real issues that need to be fixed.. If they are sorted out ESO could become a real good comeback story.
    F2P or not I plan on sticking around for a while.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I think in the long term WS will be better than ESO. WS is going to be one of those sneaky titles that people don't really consider at the beginning and it will gain people through word of mouth.

As a whole it is a much better and more polished product than ESO, if WS can keep a major content update every month. Then I could see it lasting for a while. Any slower than that and we will probably see rapid stagnation though.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    I think it will get the same sort of reception that Rift got.   Its never getting the 2M sales but instead get around 1M buyers and will have 150-300k subscribers after a year which is more than enough to keep providing solid updates.

thats what I expect too

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Wildstar will get a more normal portion of hate. ESO had to deal with bringing a lot of existing players from the earlier games. And you can never make everyone happy. Same happened with SWTOR. Lot of the hate was deserved but a lot was also generated from it having the existing starwars fan base to try to appease. There is not way to completely win that kind of fight.

As for there not being a lot of buzz right now, that is a bit unusual. I think part of it is that Carbine hasn't begun their final marketing push yet and some of it is that it has already received a lot of hype in the past. A lot of people already know if they will or wont be playing it.

The third reason I think is because it is competing with some other very strong games right now. I think ESO has turned out to be a stronger title than most expected. ESO certainly has some challenges and not everyone like the combat but many are enjoying the strong story and exploration elements, the crafting us unexpectedly deep, the progression is different and satisfying and the pvp is pretty epic in scale and that appeals to a lot of players. Again, not everyone is swooning over ESO but I think it has made a better showing that Carbine had hoped.

On the other side. I don't think anyone expected ArcheAge to show up this soon and just when wildstar needs to start ramping up, AA is starting to draw off the sandbox and open pvp crowds. There  is not a 100% overlap of who would be interested in AA vs WS but it is certainly not helping them out at all.

I think WS will do fine. I don't think they will have quite as explosive an opening as some games get but that also means they wont crash quite as hard afterwards either. WS is bringing some very unique ideas, a tremendous amount of content and features, a lot of polish and its own unique style and humor. In the end, they are filling a gap in the genre that no one else is positioned for. Wildstar is going to be a serious contender with a solid foundation.

I will disclose that I have prepurchased Wildstar but I haven't been playing the recent beta weekends. Wildstar just isn't quite clicking for me. I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like beyond the lack of shared tagging of mobs for quest credit. Just something feels off.  And now with AA alpha landing I am not even sure I will be playing WS at launch. I will circle back around to it some day. I just don't know when. Inspite of all that, I still think WS is a well done game that will appeal to a lot of people.

All die, so die well.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    If it is a big game with a huge success then the wrath of the haters will come hard on this game aswell. Cause if it is a success then they always attack hard. The better the game, the bigger the hate.
  • JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by lifeordinary there is an acceptable limit to which one can tolerate bugs and in that case patience varies from person to person. I have played a lot of MMOS at release and so far AOC and ESO are the only two MMOS which really tested my patience where i had to just give up. I have tested Wildstar though and its not a mess like ESO.

I have zero respect for MMO players who complain about bugs at release. It is like complaining about your super model girlfriend because she doesn't look good when she first wakes up in the morning.

OK, now this guy has actual insight as to why ESO sucks:

Originally posted by Incomparable When a games enjoyment comes from mostly questing and really nothing else, and made extra long to make it feel like an 'mmo' but then be hindered by elements counter to that design such as too many trash mobs, simple boss mecahnics, bugs, and main quest line bugs, and then to play end game after 100s of hours of questing to only have to over come another 100s of hours doing vr 10 to do the next phase.

Its too much of an exp grind with mediocre story.

The combat is alright, and nothing that feels fluid and is also not balanced properly with animations being spammed to insta kill.

They put too much into story and not much anywhere else.

Nailed it.

I won't touch Wildstar because the general consensus from my fellow gamers seems to be it is a generic quest grinding theme-park yawn. MMO gamers are turning against quest-grinders, that is what is really happening here. For all the differences between WS and ESO, the only one that really matters is this one, and here the two games apparently are identical.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    my opinion remains that wildstar is a better programmed game, higher quality product produced by a smaller more experienced team. add that its a new ip, so my guess here, no, i do not think wildstar will gather more hate then eso. 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    If it is a big game with a huge success then the wrath of the haters will come hard on this game aswell. Cause if it is a success then they always attack hard. The better the game, the bigger the hate.

This is basically how new MMO releases go in a nut shell. If people are hating on it, it's probably a successful release. I've said it before and I'll stand by it, hate is a good thing, when no one is talking about something is when it's trouble.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KrylosKrylos Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by amber-r

This game is getting almost no attention, far less than ESO anyway.  It's now not far off release and still almost no interest at all.

A lot of the complaints aimed at ESO affect this game too, so do you think this game will fare better or worse?  One of the main reasons I initially wanted to play the game was the updated wow style characters, now that wow is updating all their models that seems less of a pull though.

So yes, will it get as much hatred or just go almost unnoticed?

You know what they say, no news is good news.  I think the lack of talk is a good sign.  9 out of ten times if people take the time to write reviews or posts, its because of a negative experience.  I think the lack of negativity is inviting.  

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I think a lot of people who have tested WS have come to the conclusion that it has nothing new to offer. I went into WS thinking I would love it because I prefer sci-fi over fantasy nine times out of ten and I thought the art style was really great but it stopped there. The missions were all so boring and redundant and presented like something out of 2004 and the combat was some weird uncomfortable love-child of TPS and traditional mmorpg with tons blinky shapes on the ground, if I was epileptic I would have surely fallen from my chair in a fit. I hope it does well though, im still waiting for the Repop.