Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Sales Compared to GW2 & SWTOR

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    • Its a guesstimate; even for retail.
    • that said it continues to suggest that sales are on the low side
    • however it DOESN'T REFLECT how many copies Zenimax sold to retailers - they sell many more copies to retailers at a much lower price. 
    • Zenimax don't get 100% of the digital cost, there is tax, payment charge to VISA or Paypal, bandwidth cost. administration etc. A lot more than what they get from retail but maybe 70% not 100%.
    • Does it matter? Console launch lies ahead so Zenimax will be all out on trying to polish the game up regardless. So for people who don't see themselves being here longer than 3 months: no. If the game sells less than budgeted for / has fewer subscribers then that will mean less content, the EU megaserver staying in the US, etc.
    • And that is the key: what they have budgeted for. They may sell 10M but if they budgeted for 20M its bad. They may only sell 1M but if they budgeted for 500k that is good.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Haven't we been all over this....they do not show digital sales yet as far as I know.  Stop recreating a thread as one already exists. 

Yeap.. no digital sales, steam sales and what not. Just search for DayZ Standalone with over 1.7 million sales(steam).

You do know once the numbers for digital are public Vgcharts go back and revise their number.

Adn again.. look for DayZ standalone.. it is public(through steam sales) and you will find nothing at vgcharts... and it is a few month old.. so no.. they don't revise their numbers.

Edit: Or look for Minecraft (PC Version) and you will find 0 sales. VGcharts is not a viable source for overall sales of games. It just count certain retailer sales. Games sold through steam, or through digital downloads from other sources like from the developer themself will not be counted. And we know.. that nowadays a huge part of PC sales are over steam.. and not counting steam sales make any statistic about pc game sales obsolete.

Edit2: And that is another reason why you find a lot of console sales on their charts but not a lot of pc sales. Not because console out sales pc by a large margin. But much more, because pc sales include a lot of digital downloads directly bought from the developers or through steam. And most console sales are from retailers and therefore vgcharts is more accurate with console sales.. not that i would believe that those numbers are 100% accurate.. but more accurate in comparsion to pc sales.

This is an excellent and very true point making the information by the OP invalid.   I spoke with a friend of mine who works for Blizzard in Global business development and licensing, he told me these type of charts do not share many of the total sales of PC games as digital downloads account for many sales.  When I asked him about ESO, he told me judging by how they marketed the game, I would imagine about 80- 90% of their sales are online through their website. 

On the other hand we know GW2 had 2 million sales at the first week and vgcharts tracked 800K, which means 60% of GW2 were digital sales.

So it isn't exactly apples to oranges either.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by fantomace

So almost 3 weeks after launch most fanboys are now less optimistic about ESO sales, they forgot about 5m acc or 10m subs etc. ZEN remains silent, most reviews gives mediocre score, many ppl fleeing already and everyone understands that something is not going well. I m not saying that those things must have an impact to someone who loves the game, but it should to those who shouted all this time about huge sales, records etc.

So have a look in numbers after week 2:

ESO         1st week: 253k     2nd week: 51k       total: 304k

GW2        1st week: 849k     2nd week: 181k     total:1030k

SWTOR    1st week: 1432k   2nd week: 298k      total: 1730k

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70799/the-elder-scrolls-online/Global/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/37350/guild-wars-2/Global/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/Global/

i m saying again, i m not against who ever likes the game, but to those fanboys who were shouting all the time in forums etc.

So, you have been paying attention on these forums long enough to know what's been going on here, Your post is clearly meant to get in the "fanboy's" face and yet this is your 1st day postinghere?

You are risking a 4-6 month ban over a post like this? This site does take multiple accounts seriously if they find out you are using it to flame with. I suggest deleting one of your accounts.

Then, grow a set and post it on the account everyone's going to recognize.

Hell, it doesn't stop me from saying shit that I know pisses people off.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

So almost 3 weeks after launch most fanboys are now less optimistic about ESO sales, they forgot about 5m acc or 10m subs etc. ZEN remains silent, most reviews gives mediocre score, many ppl fleeing already and everyone understands that something is not going well. I m not saying that those things must have an impact to someone who loves the game, but it should to those who shouted all this time about huge sales, records etc.

i m saying again, i m not against who ever likes the game, but to those fanboys who were shouting all the time in forums etc.

So, you have been paying attention on these forums long enough to know what's been going on here, Your post is clearly meant to get in the "fanboy's" face and yet this is your 1st day postinghere?

You are risking a 4-6 month ban over a post like this? This site does take multiple accounts seriously if they find out you are using it to flame with. I suggest deleting one of your accounts.

Why is he not allowed to post? If you like the game or not it doesn't matter - and vgchartz is the medium here each game is being compared using the same medium - it's consistant 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Crusades
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Why is he not allowed to post? If you like the game or not it doesn't matter - and vgchartz is the medium here each game is being compared using the same medium - it's consistant 

He's not allowed to make an alternate account.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    We already have had these discussions here, it's documented that this number is not correct, and continuing to present it as true is just not acceptable.  It is not apples to apples because they update their numbers to reflect new information, so if Zen announces a million digital downloads tomorrow their number will be changed to 1.25 million.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Huh, yeah, those are really bad numbers taking into account that it is a comparison. The team that developed ESO is likely going to run into some fairly major financial difficulties soon. We'll likely start seeing reports about layoffs and whatnot just like we've seen with other games that have sold poorly initially. 
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Huh, yeah, those are really bad numbers taking into account that it is a comparison. The team that developed ESO is likely going to run into some fairly major financial difficulties soon. We'll likely start seeing reports about layoffs and whatnot just like we've seen with other games that have sold poorly initially. 

i can only assume this is sarcasm much like ur sig at the bottom of ur posts

• BRacilaBRacila Member UncommonPosts: 16

How many times does it have to be said that VGChartz is not reliable for sales data at all? They ESTIMATE these numbers based off talking to a couple retailers. They get no digital sales data, no walmart, target, etc. They work with a few smaller retailers and then estimate the numbers from there based off retail sales only.

Major websites such as neogaf have banned even typing the name VGChartz on their forums because of how unreliable this website is. You cannot trust them unless it is older data that has been publicly released because they then go back and fix their numbers to be accurate to look better. No major analyst or news publication subscribe to this website as it is not reliable, hence why everyone relies on NPD which also fails to get most digital sales information as major digital sites do not release their sales data to the public (steam for example, origin, etc).

Originally posted by silverreign

i can only assume this is sarcasm much like ur sig at the bottom of ur posts

No, it's not sarcasm at all. ESO appears to have sold very few copies in general. It's not just these numbers, but these numbers reinforce what people have been expecting for a long time now. ESO did not sell very well when compared to previous MMORPG releases. 

My sig really has nothing to do with anything. Although, it is extremely funny to me when people try and use it against me. It really just lets me know what kind of a poster someone else is.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    So for the same time period GW2 & SWTOR numbers include digital sales, while ESO dont?

Digital sales come directly from the publisher, and if the publisher doesn't provide them, VGChartz won't have them.  Publishers have become increasingly more reticent about publishing their numbers, even obliquely so it's not that surprising that ZOS hasn't published any digital numbers at this time.  The MMOData guy stopped even trying to publish subscriber numbers.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    unless Zenimax releases sales info - its all speculation
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Nadia

“Where there’s smoke there’s fire”

l2p

And with everything pointing to low sales numbers, they will likely never release them. There is no point for them to because they are likely very low.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

Excellent point and that statement breaks down the credibility of the consistent source vgchartz.

Might as well wait for Zen to release then go back and see if vgchartz figures change at all.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Another poster using a broken VGcharts website for speculation and lies. This is new and different.

You do know VGcharts only reports a small % of retailers and doesn't include digital sales or sales directly from ZOS, right? Right?!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by Thodra

If ESO sold about 50k copies, then I would still enjoy the game

Not for long though.

Long term or short term I dunno how long I will be enjoying this game.. But I'm enjoying it now and that's what is important. No sale number won't change my mind either

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Another poster using a broken VGcharts website for speculation and lies. This is new and different.

Nah, same poster with his new account just for this....starting to think the ESO forums on this site are only maybe 15 different people with multiple accounts.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Why even care if it sells more or less? Don't you have more important things to do in your life? 

You can also enjoy it if only 2 people bought ESO but it isn't good for business now is it?

So yeah low sales do matter.

Again, why does he care at all.. If he dosen't like the game then don't play it. Why waste time on trying to scare people?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Why even care if it sells more or less? Don't you have more important things to do in your life? 

You can also enjoy it if only 2 people bought ESO but it isn't good for business now is it?

Again, why does he care at all.. If he dosen't like the game then don't play it. Why waste time on trying to scare people?

I wasn't talking about him. i was talking about your 'even if it sells 50K copies, then i would still enjoy it'.

Yes you will but not for long.

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

Well.....Wildstar is still more than a month away and Archeage(NA) still doesn't have an official release date(and many people have mixed feelings around the Founders pack) so these particular fanboys are upset that their game's forums are kinda dead so they have to come to the current shiny's more active forums to try to crap all over it.

TL:DR - They are bored and bitter and want to spread their misery. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

Nah, same poster with his new account just for this....starting to think the ESO forums on this site are only maybe 15 different people with multiple accounts.

Funny i said the same thing yesterday and even reported a guy who was posting on multiple accounts to boost his own opinion. How he got caught? he forgot to remove the raptr signature from his alt account which was same name as his main. Busted!!!

So yeah its a fact that people use multiple accounts to make an illussion that everyone is agreeing with them.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Do you work in their financial team? Nowadays firms do not gamble alot and I bet it also counts for game developers. They all have studied well informed workers in the financial sector which can calculate the ROI (return on invest) already b4 they started to develope this game...

Even they go f2p or b2p it doesnt mean they have financial problems just a new marketing trick to gather even more...since the old system got milked out.

I hope people who aren't involved in companies financial sectors stop doing predictions without knowing anything about it.

Originally posted by Vapors

Do you work in their financial team? Nowadays firms do not gamble alot and I bet it also counts for game developers. They all have studied well informed workers in the financial sector which can calculate the ROI (return on invest) already b4 they started to develope this game...

Even they go f2p or b2p it doesnt mean they have financial problems just a new marketing trick to gather even more...since the old system got milked out.

I hope people who aren't involved in companies financial sectors stop doing predictions without knowing anything about it.

Many of these games have layoffs. It's more of a reality than a prediction when a game severely undersells. Particularly in the MMORPG sector. The question you should be asking is, "did this game sell far less than expected?" If yes, then there will likely be layoffs coming down the pipeline. It's an awful thing that happens in the industry, but it's a reality.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

Funny i said the same thing yesterday and even reported a guy who was posting on multiple accounts to boost his own opinion. How he got caught? he forgot to remove the raptr signature from his alt account which was same name as his main. Busted!!!

So yeah its a fact that people use multiple accounts to make an illussion that everyone is agreeing with them.

I don't think that guy was using his alt account to boost his opinion. I think that was an honest mistake. But to each their own. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt even when I shouldn't. I'm too nice for the internetz :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

This discussion has been closed.