Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Bring the Skills

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

What’s more important in WildStar: awesome skills or incredible gear? In this week’s column, Gareth Harmer explains why finger finesse will beat shiny baubles.

Read more of Gareth Hamer's WildStar: Bring the Skills.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    Excellent write-up!
  • JynxxJynxx Member Posts: 21
    40-man raids, wheeeeee, it's been soooo long since I've done those!
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I shall hold back my optimism until I see the first week and how many people "max" out their content.  Then I'll take that number multiply by 8-10 and it'll be roughly how long it'll take me.
  • aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    Im eager to sink in deeply in a WS lore, so my leveling will be slower. This game has much to offer judging by betas and live streams.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    It does indeed take finger finesse to fight your way through the clunky combat system :) Other than that the game is quite fun and will be worth the money. Still a few months from release so hopefully they tighten it up some more!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I was never a hardcore raider but really enjoyed my time in WoW exploring the world and running heroic dungeons. I hope Wildstar can create this same feeling of world immersion. My small amount of time in the beta is encouraging.
  • mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37
    Coming from FFXIV I feel the combat design philosophy has "a la Titan" all over it... Warning to other games: DO NOT WALK DOWN THIS PATH! You will be hated!
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by mithrillion
    Coming from FFXIV I feel the combat design philosophy has "a la Titan" all over it... Warning to other games: DO NOT WALK DOWN THIS PATH! You will be hated!

And yet, most people that I talk to that are really into the 20/40 person raids is really looking forward to the random element of boss fights.  Titan was literally the only fight in FFXIV that wasn't completely a "memorize the steps" boss.  And I say completely because there was only 1 random thing about it, the bomb order, and even that was a braindead mechanic.  Literally everything else could just be memorized.

Believe it or not, there IS a population of players that like the fights that go for random abilities that the players have to react to.  It's the way that challenge is being brought back to the MMORPG, now that players are better.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by aceofmmos
    Im eager to sink in deeply in a WS lore, so my leveling will be slower. This game has much to offer judging by betas and live streams.

If you love lore pick the "science path" its full of lore nuggets.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

Besides, if you take away the server lag (which Wildstar does not suffer from), Titan would be a snooze.  Dealing with the lag was the challenge more than anything else.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• OrbaliskBaneOrbaliskBane Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    It does indeed take finger finesse to fight your way through the clunky combat system :) Other than that the game is quite fun and will be worth the money. Still a few months from release so hopefully they tighten it up some more!

I disagree, the combat system is quite fluid and not at all awkward or outdated. Infact going from a typical rotation to a combat system based on skillshots is awesome. And the game comes out June 3rd(May 31st to those who pre ordered), that isn't a few months. 

Originally posted by OrbaliskBane

I disagree, the combat system is quite fluid and not at all awkward or outdated. Infact going from a typical rotation to a combat system based on skillshots is awesome. And the game comes out June 3rd(May 31st to those who pre ordered), that isn't a few months. 

Ya this is by far the most fluid combat in a MMO I have played. 

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Kaladin

Besides, if you take away the server lag (which Wildstar does not suffer from), Titan would be a snooze.  Dealing with the lag was the challenge more than anything else.

No lag? There were tons of complaints about lag in the last WS beta weekend. I fortunately didn't experience it until the last day, but to say the game doesn't suffer from it would be wrong.

Supposedly, the game is not yet optimized, so hopefully they can iron out the issue by launch. 

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

Wildstar has really good combat...actually that is one of the things that impressed me most about the game. The feel of the combat. I played wow from release till pandas and came back later to play pandas. I feel like one of the main things that kept me playing wow was how nice the combat was. I get that same feeling from wildstar.

If you want to see clunky combat go give ESO a try.

• polQpolQ Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

No lag? There were tons of complaints about lag in the last WS beta weekend. I fortunately didn't experience it until the last day, but to say the game doesn't suffer from it would be wrong.

Supposedly, the game is not yet optimized, so hopefully they can iron out the issue by launch. 

Please understand the difference between "fps lag" and "server  lag". In FFXIV the server lag was terrible, which is far worse than a poorly optimized UI. Standing in a telegraph in FFXIV and clearly moving out of it STILL hits you. I'm talking about a hard 2 seconds out of an aoe in a local server -- this is what made titan difficult at first, I don't know how it is now, but around the time I quit it improved a little but the problem was still there. 

Wildstar has fps lag, there's an issue with the client and UI optimization, which can be fixed and isn't as big of a problem compared to a fundamental issue with the mmo's "netcode". Wildstar is extremely responsive and the latency between server and client feels almost instant, running out of a telegraph in the last milisecond still allows you to dodge said telegraph.

Originally posted by polQ
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

Please understand the difference between "fps lag" and "server  lag". In FFXIV the server lag was terrible, which is far worse than a poorly optimized UI. Standing in a telegraph in FFXIV and clearly moving out of it STILL hits you. I'm talking about a hard 2 seconds out of an aoe in a local server -- this is what made titan difficult at first, I don't know how it is now, but around the time I quit it improved a little but the problem was still there. 

Wildstar has fps lag, there's an issue with the client and UI optimization, which can be fixed and isn't as big of a problem compared to a fundamental issue with the mmo's "netcode". Wildstar is extremely responsive and the latency between server and client feels almost instant, running out of a telegraph in the last milisecond still allows you to dodge said telegraph.

This!!!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by SBFord

What’s more important in WildStar: awesome skills or incredible gear? In this week’s column, Gareth Harmer explains why finger finesse will beat shiny baubles.

Read more of Gareth Hamer's WildStar: Bring the Skills.

Why choose? That seems so narrow minded, why not both?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

This article basically states that end game will be the same as all other MMO's. IE; preferred builds for min/max players. 

They state that all classes will be viable. And admit that some will be stronger than others. They HOPE that people wont go for the stronger builds as the others are at least viable. LOL. LAME!!!!!

And look at all the people who fell for it as if its something new. Just like their AMP system which is just traits, or AA's or skillpoints, or veteran levels lol. Its ALL been done before. They just use different words and the masses clamor for it as if its something new. This is GW2 hype all over again, but thankfully not as big and annoying.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by madazz

This article basically states that end game will be the same as all other MMO's. IE; preferred builds for min/max players. 

Actually, I said nothing of the sort. Preferred builds are unlikely to happen because MinMaxing is probably going to be futile (particularly with runes), and that skill will trump any kind of marginal gear. If you're going to trash something, at least try reading before you put your hands on the keyboard.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Who knows what lag there will be when the game releases?  I don't think anyone does now...  It might be better than the few beta servers and it might be significantly worse.

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Gazimoff
    Originally posted by madazz

Actually, I said nothing of the sort. Preferred builds are unlikely to happen because MinMaxing is probably going to be futile (particularly with runes), and that skill will trump any kind of marginal gear. If you're going to trash something, at least try reading before you put your hands on the keyboard.

+1

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

I've been playing in the beta since sometime in January, have multiple 50's, and have seen almost as much of the game as can be seen.  I have never had a problem with lag.  I find movement and combat VERY fluid and reactive.

I don't believe that FotM builds will be much of an issue, because the game is so customizable that players will tailor builds and gear set-ups to their own strengths and weaknesses.  And what works best for ME, may not work at all for you, and you will change the build accordingly.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point, and subject to change as the game grows and develops it's personality, but I can't wait for the ride to start!!

T

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    I'll admit that at first I found WS's combat mechanics to be a bit clunky, but I actually got the hang of it fairly quickly and am finding it rather fun and strategic. Nice change of pace compared to other MMOs. I'm looking forward to the depth of character development. Looks like a lot of customization will be had at the higher levels, which I enjoy. The only thing that has me a bit worried is the relatively small zones to explore. Granted I've yet to get a character beyond 11 (I've been experimenting with races and classes), so I haven't seen any of the higher end zones. Hopefully they're bigger with more exploration opportunities.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

Last time I saw someone state this, it turned out they were a keyboard turner and refused to use the mouse.  I think people should take what they want from that.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

My only complaint about the combat was that, while working on PvE content out in the open world, it was very easy to aggro more mobs than intended while dodging around. Even if you're extremely good at the combat, 6-7 mobs is simply too much for any class to take on at once.

Another problem that's engineer-specific is that bots seem to add a significant amount to aggro range, plus they don't dodge out of attacks like a player does. Not a problem with the bruiser bot so much (it's pretty tough), but the artillery bot dies pretty quickly if anything aggros on it.

Oh, and there was definitely a bit of server lag during the last two days of the last beta weekend. Not as bad as FFXIV (which is consistent and easy to adapt to), but it was definitely there for myself and a good deal of other players. It was manageable though.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic