Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP do you want the most?

Comments

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by 9reesracer9
    Originally posted by Acidon

White Wolf's "World of Darkness", pretty much as described by the bastards that are stopping the project after all these years, CCP.

^ couldn't have said it better myself...

I am glad CCP stopped WoD.  I just dont think they have the vision required to make that game.  Dust and Valkyrie make me think Eve is a fluke and that they should probably stop there.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I'd add Transformers, except I hate the movies and my vision of a good version of Transformers is totally different than people who have been watching these movies would expect.  I would want a world with no humans, the players would play transformers, and the transformers would be people who just happen to be made out of metal and silicon, with their own romances and sexual reproduction and no nonsensical resemblance to vehicles when they normally have no passengers/drivers.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Got to go with Dr. Who. Very rich stories. You could have "good" and "bad" sides.  Different races, class, etc....  Worlds and different eras in those worlds to level in.

It would be fantastic.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I used to think Terry Pratchett's Discworld, and then I realized a large part of what was truly great about it was all the characters and the intricate story developments and deep examinations of them.

Sadly, in an MMORPG most of the characters would be other players (So inherently derpy and not amusing), and to get the proper story you'd have to be playing it WITHOUT them most of the time.

So it'd make a better RPG.

In fact, most IPs would make a better RPG or adventure game, than an MMORPG.  A good IP for an MMORPG would be one where much of the richness is in the setting, and with a strong emphasis on the average person or soldier, rather than the heroic.  Unless you're trying for a strongly story driven MMORPG ala SWTOR.  (And I think I would have preferred that as a single player RPG, maybe with co-op)

(edit:  It's one reason that MMORPGs based off of tabletop RPGs at least have a strong setting, like D&D or WoD, because the original source material gives a lot of room for strong non-hero-of-the-world characters)

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by kakasaki
    Originally posted by laserit
    Game of Thrones would make an awesome IP 

Would it have an M rating???  image

and would in-game weddings result in perma-death??!!??

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Tron. With LightCycle pvp

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Glorantha

AKA RuneQuest

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    daoc 2

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by kakasaki
    Originally posted by laserit
    Game of Thrones would make an awesome IP 

Would it have an M rating???  image

The best thing about GoT is the plot twists and turn, and the characters. It probably won't translate well to a MMO.

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44

Farscape

Dune

The world they created in the Riddick movies could be interesting.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Mass Effect

Malazan Book of the Fallen

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

(1) Tanith Lee "Tales from the Flat Earth"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Flat_Earth

is a fun series which is kind of a modern Arabian Nights with fun stories and incarnations of various powers like Night, Death, Delusion, etc.  It has magicians and fighters, etc., and would be a fun setting for an MMORPG.

(2) Sheri Tepper has a "True Game" series of books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Game

with people with lots of fun powers.  Gamesmen have lots of fun titles like necromancer, wizard, sorceror, etc., and each has their own powers.  There are also tons of gamesmen.

(3) It is a bit cliched, but cliche works in MMOs because finer points of subtlety are lost.  A universe based on MIchael Moorcock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champion

and his eternal champion would work well.  You could have it in lots of settings because eternal champions arise in lots of settings.  And you would get fun, over-the-top characters like Elric (the weakling albino who keeps accidentally killing his friends and who relies on his soul-stealing sword for strength), Corum (prince missing eye and hand), Hawkmoon (hero in a world where the bad guys wear ridiculous masks), etc, to populate the world.

The best part about these 3 choices is that they would be lore-rich (each author wrote lots and lots of books) but probably relatively cheap (since maybe they haven't reached prime-time.)  So you would have lots of lore to draw on but the company choosing to make an MMO off of them wouldn't have to break the bank to get a license.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Star Wars by far is my favorite IP. Not a fan of SWTOR. A sandbox/themepark hybrid set within 200 years or so of the original trilogy with all the planets, space element including; capital ships, fighters, space stations where you can dock, etc. would be my ideal MMO.

Other choices would be:

-Terminator (set in the future during the humans vs. cyborgs war)

-Jericho (modern day post-terrorism nuclear bomb Midwest without Fallout level of destruction but society as we know it is over)

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Raymond E Feist Rift War Saga and all the books since. So many races, places, classes and lore the mind boggles. Their is already a game all be it very old. Flight From Krondor.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Maybe a Suikoden IP where you have to fill your castle up with NPCs you collect around the world.

With a expanded cooking and rope climbing game from Suikoden 2

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I've found I have the most fun where games have their own original IP.

Not saying I don't like existing IPs, or that a game based on an existing IP can't be good, but usually an IP comes with preconceived notions, and when a game deviates or tries to expand/contradict/embellish upon those it's met with resistance.

When a game is based on an original IP, then it can just make it up as it goes along.

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

I would like The Matrix. But also the philosophical aspects in it. And it could be a new form, a training ground after Neo's sacrifice too - not just a human vs machine thing that would bore everyone after a month.

It is true that the same could be told about Star Wars, but with EA, we won't have anything intellectually stimulating so I rather think of something plausible.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Cougan

Maybe a Suikoden IP where you have to fill your castle up with NPCs you collect around the world.

With a expanded cooking and rope climbing game from Suikoden 2

That could be pretty cool, actually.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    im still peeved that Star Gate SG-1 didnt get released, that had literally endless expansion potential, multi faction war scope, exploration, you name it. no ip for it really but id like to see some caveman/evolution type game made. but i was flicking through my dvd collection and found the 3 series of the Robotech anime from the 80's, that would make a solid mmo also imo.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

1. warhammer 40k (i know theres one coming, but still........)

2. firefly

3. amtrak wars (good novel series, old but still good)

4. underworld (vamps v werewolves) spewing about WoD not being made.

5. dune

6. A song of ice and fire (GoT for the TV people) set in Valyria would be nice.

7. mistborn (brandon Sanderson novels)

these i would like to see, but i know very few will get made. espeacially ASOIF, as everyone will want to be Aegon the conquorer. 

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

Dune!

A non fucked up Conan/Cthulu mythos world.

Feudal Japan era

Dutch East India Co. type of game

Warhammer 40k in a not fucked up version.

• sacasesacase Member UncommonPosts: 22

Palladiums's Rifts is the only one I want that is not already in production. 

I still don't know why Rifts is not a MMO, you can make the basic game and you have TONS of source books for potential expansion. It would be so easy to add new O.C.C's and R.C.C's to the game. You have ton's of potential expansions. To me its a no brainer, but I think a certain CEO is to greedy for it to happen. 

• IIIHomieIIIIIIHomieIII Member Posts: 1

Not sure if anyone mentioned.. Thundarr the Barbarian

"a world of savagery, super-science, and sorcery,"

In the year 1994, a comet hurtles between Earth and the moon. The moon is destroyed, and the Earth loses its ozone layer--causing the entire planet to be laid waste. Centuries later, Earth has become "a world of savagery, super-science, and sorcery," inhabited by various evildoers, scavengers, and magicians. Thundarr, a warrior who wields a powerful sword, is joined by his friends Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel as they make their way through this strange world.

Never played a Super-Sci-fi MMO before so...

Seriously how can you go wrong with a great story/background like this?

Everyone knows apocalyptic endings make great stories of drama which is why shows like Walking Dead and Revolution are so popular right now, plus there are hardly any rules or lore to get in the way. You can make it all up as you go since there were so few episodes stating them.  (rules like you only have swords and axes or spells or laser guns and cannons and flying ships... blah blah blah.. You can have all that and more..

Oh the loot you could find!

Sounds perfect! 

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by tabarjack

I would like The Matrix. But also the philosophical aspects in it. And it could be a new form, a training ground after Neo's sacrifice too - not just a human vs machine thing that would bore everyone after a month.

Already been done...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Lovecraft Mythos set in the early part of the 20th century.

Wild, Wild West set in the late 1800's.

Either could have some Steam Punk elements, especially the Wild, Wild West.

Chronicles of Elantra series.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, but that would probably make a better single player RPG.

I would probably play a Thundar the Barbarian game. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.